PDA

View Full Version : Emirates

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

vapilot2004
18th Apr 2006, 22:53
Recent news regarding the A340 orders that EK recently deferred.

Airbus can produce the A340 at a faster pace than the Super Jumbo. This would seem to leave a growth gap in the airlines' fleet. It appears EK will be looking to lease in the interim if this deal is changed. What would they be inclined to lease ?

From Bloomberg:

Emirates, the biggest customer for the new Airbus A380, said it may buy more of the aircraft in place of a $4.2 billion order for 20 smaller planes.

Emirates, owned by the government of Dubai in the United Arab Emirates, may cancel its order for A340-600s and instead replace it with one for the world's biggest passenger plane when it comes into service at the end of the year, Emirates spokesman Mike Simon said.

The four-engine A340-600 is being beaten for business by Boeing's two-engine 777-300, which is more fuel-efficient.

Emirates has orders for 12 of the Airbus planes and options on eight more, which are the largest Airbus aircraft currently in service.

It's also ordered 43 A380s and will lease two more.

Emirates, the biggest Arab airline, last month delayed its A340-600 order to give Airbus time to develop a better version of the jet.

The order "still stands," Simon said Sunday.

Airbus offers three variations on the A340 model: the A340-300, which seats 295 passengers; the A340-600, which seats 380; and the A340-500, which seats 313 and flies 8,500 nautical miles, competing with the 777-200LR.

Shark-1
19th Apr 2006, 06:04
Dubai Eye aired an interview with Shiek Ahmed (CEO of Emirates) this morning, when quized on the matter of the 340-600's did'nt sound very enthusiastic about them at all, continued with the stance that they have not cancelled the order but are exploring the option of converting to additional 380 orders.

While it was a leading question from the interviewer he eseentially agreed with the question that airbus need to develop a new widebody platform.

Should be interesting to see how this progresses as they certainly need the capacity to maintain current expansion.

Payscale
19th Apr 2006, 12:40
What if the A380 are too expensive to operate too? Have they then painted themselfes into the far corner?

hetfield
19th Apr 2006, 13:04
How do you end up with $500 million in the airline business? Start with a billion.

(R.Branson)

Cerberus
22nd Apr 2006, 11:03
Branson would love to have said it first but it was a yank!

hetfield
2nd Jun 2006, 10:15
Just in the radio. Orders of two freighters are cancelled due to "unclear technical data."

Clarence Oveur
2nd Jun 2006, 10:20
Orders converted into passenger aircraft actually.

Earlier thread. (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=226105)

Payscale
2nd Jun 2006, 10:22
yes...announced in DXB about 2 weeks ago. Details on www.gulfnews.com

akerosid
2nd Jun 2006, 17:10
I think they plan to convert two A380 pax orders to freighter models down the road, once the freighter is "defined"; they still want them, but are just pushing them out a bit, timewise.

halas
4th Jun 2006, 14:52
My money is on replacing the the current 744F's with more economical 748F's.

They can then "dispose" their contract with Atlas, as the 777 drivers can undergo a small conversion school and drive them. Since the 777-200LRF has been ordered, freight for them won't be a problem.

Appears the limited airports the 380F can use is of no use to a boutique cargo mob like EK, after all, there is no small fee involved in financing the infrastructure for the 380F - especially only two of them!

manintheback
15th Jun 2006, 08:15
BA share price increased today after speculation that Emirates is about to launch a takeover

http://news.ft.com/cms/s/b2cbfd70-fc3f-11da-9599-0000779e2340.html

ORAC
15th Jun 2006, 08:41
Torygraph: BA shares jump on Emirates bid rumour

British Airways shares were one of the biggest gainers on the stock market this morning despite Emirates, the largest Arab airline, denying rumors among London stock market traders that it is planning a bid for the UK carrier. BA shares jumped 16½ to 354¾p which helped the FTSE 100 index rise 49.1 in early morning trade to 5555.9.

Maurice Flanagan, vice chairman of Emirates, told Bloomberg: "We have plenty of other things to be doing." The company, which is owned by the Dubai government, is "absolutely not" interested, he said.....

sikeano
15th Jun 2006, 08:42
this is pure speculation which is good for the market maybe leaked by ba board itself just to get its attention off pension and poor performance
below is from ft

BA speculation helps FTSE lift-off
By Donna Haddaway
Published: June 15 2006 08:57 | Last updated: June 15 2006 08:57

London equities rallied in early trade on Thursday, tracking US and Asian gains, as investors ignored higher US inflation data and bought back into the markets.

ADVERTISEMENT

The heavyweight mining and oil sectors led the recovery, while banks were also higher on continued bid speculation surrounding Lloyds TSB.

Shares in the bank firmed 2.3 per cent to 527p in early trade. Standard Chartered was also higher, up 1.3 per cent to £12.46.

The FTSE 100 was up 49 points, 0.9 per cent at 5,555.8 while the mid-cap FTSE 250 staged a recovery of its own. It traded up 135.9 points, 1.6 per cent at 8,918.1.

Overnight on Wall Street the S&P 500 was up 0.5 per cent, at 1,230.04. The Nasdaq Composite rose 0.7 per cent, to 2,086.00 and the Dow Jones Industrial Average was 1 per cent higher at 10,816.92.

Back in London, British Airways led the main index gainers on speculation that rival airline Emirates could be interested in making a bid for the UK company. Dealers said a possible bid could be at around 450p per share. BA shares rose 4.9 per cent to 354¾p.

As metal prices recovered, mining stocks were popular with investors looking for a bargain. BHP Billiton firmed 3.7 per cent to 949p and Antofagasta rose 3.6 per cent to £18.64.

Associated British Ports remained in focus after Admiral Acquisitions, the Goldman Sachs led consortium, raised its bid for the ports group to £2.58bn on fears over a rival counterbid.

Shares in AB Ports climbed 5.3 per cent to 868½p. Australia’s Macquarie Bank said on Wednesday that it was part of a consortium also considering making an offer for the group.

p.s. 450 a share whilst it is at 350 now i would not mind buying some,you never know

EMAIL ARTICLE PRINT ARTICLE MOST POPULAR

surely not
15th Jun 2006, 08:54
Why would Emirates want to take on a mutinous workforce, at least that's how it appears from all the strike threads on various forums.

OzzieO
15th Jun 2006, 08:59
DUBAI (Reuters) - Dubai's Emirates (EMAIR.UL: Quote, Profile, Research) airline said on Thursday it had no intention to bid for British Airways as it was in the middle of a huge expansion plan.

"We have no intention of making a bid for British Airways," Mike Simon, division vice president for corporate communications told Reuters. "We are in the middle of a very expansive growth plan ourselves and we're not going to buy."

There you go.

PAXboy
15th Jun 2006, 09:08
But by this time, the rumour mongers will have made their money. Another good job done by the stock markets of the world. :rolleyes:

bbrown1664
15th Jun 2006, 09:24
in the middle of a huge expansion plan

.......which may involve the purchase of a substantial fleet of 2nd hand aircraft with numerous slots at Heathrow. :}

Joetom
15th Jun 2006, 10:11
Either it's true, which is possible or the City gents are just playing around to milk the system of some cash, my guess is the City gents.???:hmm:

wobble2plank
15th Jun 2006, 10:16
Nothing is true until it's been officially denied!!!

:E

Where's me turban????

flt_lt_w_mitty
15th Jun 2006, 10:28
If they do, they should consider putting all the BA pilots at the bottom of the seniority list - it has been done before.:mad:

ShortfinalFred
15th Jun 2006, 11:41
"Mutinous workforce". "Put all BA pilots at the bottom of the seniority list - its been done before".

You little sad little men, you are so far up your own you know what you cant see the daylight. What a crock aviation is becoming! Hate BA pilots do you? Well, get a life! So ridden with envy you have to post this bull**it? You pathetic little souls. I guess you loathe every other single major European carrier as well because you are so consumed with envy by their T's and C's too.

Of course, I forgot, I am a turkey and I am going to vote for Christmas, enthusiastically. Of course BA can steal my pension and close bidline, the two factors that made me and 000's of other pilots join BA and I will just quietly go on doing 900 hrs a year at BA@s whim, (soon to be once the "change your roster every 7 days" system is imposed), with a working atmosphere of complete contempt shown to us by our management in every single sphere of the operation.

You are just seeing the begining. The BA board are convinced they have won the battle already. How wrong they are. Most of us are now so incensed we would see BA in the dirt before we lift a finger to help the money grabbing bonus hunters who "manage" us now. If that makes me a radical, great, there are plenty more where I come from.

akerosid
15th Jun 2006, 11:44
In any case,even if they wished todoso,isn't there a limit for ownership of UK carriers? They would be limited to 49%.

Still,there could be advantages for BA, not least in future aircraft purchases. Surplus A380s, anyone?

Jordan D
15th Jun 2006, 11:46
With the way almost every other major British entity is being bought out by overseas companies, I wouldn't be so surprised if this was true ....

Jordan

maxy101
15th Jun 2006, 11:50
Well, they had better get ready with the shovel to shovel dosh into the pension fund and an awful lot more to buy my and the pilot workforces good will back. Mind you, the cost savings involved in not paying LCG's and the other board members bonuses mean that the cost savings will pay for themselves!

ToneTheWone
15th Jun 2006, 14:18
Before I put forward my tuppence worth, I have to point out that this is in no way a xenophobic, anti-Muslim or anti-anything thread. However there are issues which may make a take-over of BA unworkable.

If I recall the facts, British Ports have recently been, or about to be taken over by a Dubai based company. All well and good, but included in British Port’s portfolio is New York. Something which the Americans had something to say about. I don’t know what the outcome is, but I know the Americans were none too happy.

Hand Solo
15th Jun 2006, 15:36
I could be mistaken here but I believe BA would have to remain more than 50% British to be classes as a UK carrier and retain it's rights to LHR slots. Note the way Virgin is only 49% owned by Singapore Airlines.

Taildragger67
15th Jun 2006, 16:25
Before I put forward my tuppence worth, I have to point out that this is in no way a xenophobic, anti-Muslim or anti-anything thread. However there are issues which may make a take-over of BA unworkable.

If I recall the facts, British Ports have recently been, or about to be taken over by a Dubai based company. All well and good, but included in British Port’s portfolio is New York. Something which the Americans had something to say about. I don’t know what the outcome is, but I know the Americans were none too happy.

It was P&O wot got taken over by Dubai Ports World. P&O's 'port'-folio contained several US operations: http://portal.pohub.com/portal/page?_pageid=36,1,36_31159:36_34057&_dad=pogprtl&_schema=POGPRTL

Associated British Ports is currently the subject of a bid by a Goldman Sachs-led consortium.

Also re Virgin - I seem to recall that The Hirsute One wanted to retain control so was only ever going to let 49% go. As long as their corporate HQ remains in the UK, they're still a UK company (well actually for tax purposes it's where effective control resides, but that's a different matter).

fmgc
15th Jun 2006, 16:36
The VS situation was not comparable to this one as RB owned most of the shares and so could control sales of them. BA is a PLC so anybody could buy them if able to persuade the shareholders to sell them.

Taildragger67
15th Jun 2006, 17:29
The VS situation was not comparable to this one as RB owned most of the shares and so could control sales of them. BA is a PLC so anybody could buy them if able to persuade the shareholders to sell them.
... as long as the sale Act doesn't stipulate a cap on foreign ownership (a la Qantas). Not sure what the Act governing the BA privatisation would've said.

There may also be issues with respect to rights but these are not insurmountable and would simply make some creative lawyer a tad richer.

RoyHudd
15th Jun 2006, 18:33
They fully deserve eachother.

Jox
15th Jun 2006, 18:53
And I laughed.............................:O

Sheep Guts
16th Jun 2006, 02:19
Yes they certainly are, but I think it will only happen if Emirates cancels it's A380 order which is looking a possibility now with EADS shares down 34% yesterday for the year, the only thing to prop up EADS is the A320 production and demend, the A320 New Generation may save them.

Lucifer
16th Jun 2006, 10:13
You mean P&O - congress realised what a disasterous mistake they made, and are backpedalling so fast it is unbelievable. Don't expect to see any more xenophobic noises from Washington lawmakers for a while - they can clearly see Arab oil money flows to London over and above New York now, and are trying to do a lot to redress that balance.

I could be mistaken here but I believe BA would have to remain more than 50% British to be classes as a UK carrier and retain it's rights to LHR slots. Note the way Virgin is only 49% owned by Singapore Airlines.
You are totally mistaken. Company ownership rules are governed by the UK/Dubai bilateral (or EU if relevant) treaty. Slot ownership is entirely divorced from this - BA could sell the lot to whomever they wanted to - if the buyer used them.

I would love to see a private equity firm do this in conjunction with Emirates - so many processes to put right, and so many more efficient ways to make money (after firing terrible management), that it would be a cash cow if one knew what they were doing.

Mick Stability
16th Jun 2006, 10:18
http://www.genesis-music.com/Images/albums/selling/sellingcover250.jpg
"Sounding like an old record"

surely not
16th Jun 2006, 10:37
Hey Shortfinalfred judging by your post I would suggest that you are the one with a chip on their shoulder. Your T's and C's are of no concern to me, and I have worked for BA back in the past. I left becuase I didn't enjoy being 'just a number' and have had a fine time since thanks. So if you are as unhappy and bitter as your post suggests then make the ultimate protest and leave to a company with better rostering and whose management don't treat you so badly.

Interesting that you describe BA as an airline that is a thoroughly unpleasant place to work, but think others are jealous of you? I don't think so :)

potkettleblack
16th Jun 2006, 12:06
Regardless of whether the overseas ownerhip threshold is 49% or not you can still obtain a controlling interest in a plc. From the latest annual report the majority of shares are held by banks or nominees so a bit of board room negotiation over a G&T at the club and hey presto you get to call the shots even without owning over 50% of the shares.

MonkeyAlan
16th Jun 2006, 12:57
Takeovers are not quite as easy as you think....

Limits on foreign ownership may be set out the Memorandum and Articles of Association of the company (and yes, these can be changed), the CAA may also have something to say on the matters, there could be competition issues on certain routes which could require disposal of slots. Its difficult to buy 49% and then join forces with other shareholders because your agenda will be very different...the banks, pension funds will want growth or dividends but won't be botherd by the operation of the company, Emirates on the other had would want to be involved in the day to day activites..not what plc shareholders normally do.

And theres plenty of other factors:
Takeovers never seem to work very well
Emirates and BA are totally different...what would Emirates actually gain (and don't say routes, revenue and profit because they would be paying for them)...apart from a big pension liability, a unionised workforce (I know we all have differing views on the organisation of labour but if you are buying a company you won't be a leading light in the union movement) and a lot of other large financial commitments....

Emirates have got plenty more opportunities in the UAE / MENA areas....they're interest to look at the mistakes the legacy airlines make and ensure they don't make them....

So thats settled, Emirates is noting taking over BA......but I did hear of a Mr O'leary looking at the share price this morning

Scooter Rassmussin
16th Jun 2006, 13:11
More than likely Dubai holdings will buy it , that way the dubai banks will get to buy and lease the new aircraft to BA . Thats where the real cash lies and if need be they can reduce their holdings over time.:mad:

goodwxpilot
16th Jun 2006, 13:13
I have to say, Id be absolutely gutted to see our British national flag carrier taken over by Arabs....It should be the other way around.

Lucifer
16th Jun 2006, 13:33
Why so goodwxpilot - if they have the money, then let them make an error of wasting it, and the fund managers investing our pension money who own the company at the moment will instead profit...and ultimately the pension fund.

Incidentally, how much does Lord Marshall own of the company at the moment?

PAXboy
16th Jun 2006, 15:07
goodwxpilotI have to say, Id be absolutely gutted to see our British national flag carrier taken over by Arabs....It should be the other way around. There are two reasons why you do not have to worry:

BA are not our 'national flag carrier', merely the largest of the UK airlines.
This was an old fashion City rumour and the boys have made good money and gone out to lunch.
In other words, everyone has been saying nasty things about everyone for no good reason. :zzz:

GearDown&Locked
16th Jun 2006, 15:56
I have to say, Id be absolutely gutted to see our British national flag carrier taken over by Arabs....It should be the other way around.

Afraid of being colonised are we sir? :E

goodwxpilot
16th Jun 2006, 18:34
We are being colonised by foreign companys buying our large corporations and assets....Ports, airports, now our flag carrying airline......all under threat.

Bring back the good ole empire days I say :E

LGS6753
16th Jun 2006, 19:13
Shortfinalfred -

If you are so fired up, and are BA flight deck, get to see someone in the medical profession, please.

Those with a long memory will remember Captain Key, who crashed his Trident at Staines (June 18th 1971?), because he had a heart attack on takeoff following an altercation in the briefing room. All on board died.

ray cosmic
16th Jun 2006, 19:58
Would solve the problem of EK having no European bases..:}

Lucifer
16th Jun 2006, 23:48
We are being colonised by foreign companys buying our large corporations and assets....Ports, airports, now our flag carrying airline......all under threat.
Do you own a share of the company? If not, what right do you have to speak? If you do - are you prepared to sell? If so, fine. If not, are you a fool?

"Ours" is not a definition with which I agree in any manner at all. You patently have no understanding of the dependency of the financial powerhouse of the city upon free global capital markets, not nationalistic jingo, which leads to international tension and war.

AUTOGLIDE
17th Jun 2006, 10:22

Bring back the good ole empire days I say :E

'We' are being colonised? Maybe that's because the UK, along with the rest of the EU has newt sized economic growth. May as well get used to it. BA is not 'the national Flag Carrier', as already stated it is just another British Airline, and one that barely exists outside of LHR.

skyman771
17th Jun 2006, 12:10
................ not nationalistic jingo, which leads to international tension and war.
Don't you mean religion..............:confused:

Lucifer
17th Jun 2006, 13:18
I didn't realise you felt about the airline like that...!

Dan Air 87
17th Jun 2006, 19:00
Interesting reading chaps. A move like this would be nothing new though as I remember that the Kuwait's owned most of BP a while ago and nobody batted an eyelid! So, why would there be any adverse reaction to a move by EK for BA?

Moreover what would happen to EK's A380 order if they have to invest in BA instead?

Desert Diner
17th Jun 2006, 19:29
Now thats a better rumour: When will the 380s get deliverd (sorry couldn't resist):D

As for the rumour in question. Wouldn't taking over BMI be a bit more realistic:E

Golf Charlie Charlie
17th Jun 2006, 22:10
....as I remember that the Kuwait's owned most of BP a while ago and nobody batted an eyelid!

I am fairly sure that's never been the case.

SMOC
17th Jul 2006, 05:37
http://yahoo.reuters.com/news/articlehybrid.aspx?storyID=urn:newsml:reuters.com:20060716:M TFH68894_2006-07-16_14-13-36_L1668696&type=comktNews&rpc=44

LONDON, July 16 (Reuters) - Dubai-based airline Emirates [EMAIR.UL] is set to announce it will buy 10 of the latest version of the Boeing Co. (BA.N: Quote, Profile, Research) 747 jumbo in a deal worth $2.8 billion at list prices, industry sources said on Sunday.......

Mile_High_VIP
17th Jul 2006, 10:31
Does anyone know the latest news on this? I remember back in January there was talk of Emirates fitting an Airbus A380 entirely with economy seats and offering return turn flights from London to Sydney for £280.

Other than that, does anyone know of any other carriers offering cheap flights from London - Sydney? I hear there are some Chinese carriers offering similarly priced flights.

Desert Nomad
17th Jul 2006, 14:59
The 747s are for freighter use I believe. We should know later this week

rkenyon
17th Jul 2006, 19:21
Those with a long memory will remember Captain Key, who crashed his Trident at Staines (June 18th 1971?), because he had a heart attack on takeoff following an altercation in the briefing room. All on board died.

Not true.... the crash occurred because the flaps were stowed before they'd reached the correct airspeed, and the thus, they stalled and were not able to recover.

However, when they carried out a post mortem, they found that he would have died very shortly due to heart failure anyway.

Cheers,
Rick

Theplanemanuk
7th Aug 2006, 17:15
Does anyone have any info on 07/08new routes please!!!!!!!!:)

Longtimer
8th Nov 2006, 20:04
Emirates airline to enable in-flight mobile phone use
Passengers will be able to use their mobile phones on Emirates flights in the new year, in a deal announced today by the Dubai-based airline.

Under the $27m (£14m) deal with the AeroMobile company, Emirates hopes to be the first airline to offer voice and text phone services charged in line with international roaming rates on all its flights. The plans, however, remain subject to regulatory safety approval.

Emirates, whose routes include London-Dubai, plans to introduce the new facility on one of its Boeing 777s in January. The service will then be extended to the entire fleet.

To minimise nuisance, passengers will be encouraged to switch phones to silent or vibrate mode and cabin crew will ensure that phones are switched to text-only mode during night flights.

The onboard technology will limit the number of calls on a flight at any time to five, the same as for Emirates' existing in-seat phones.

Emirates chairman and chief executive, Sheikh Ahmed bin Saeed Al Maktoum, said: "The option of mobile phone use will be available under guidelines that recognise and respect the privacy of all our customers.

"Our customers are already making more than 6,000 calls a month from our in-seat phones, so we will be making life easier for those for whom staying in touch using their mobile phone has become an indispensable part of their everyday lives. Our research tells us our customers would appreciate the option of staying in touch in this way."

The AeroMobile technology lets mobile phones operate at their minimum power settings, making them safe to use on aircraft. Emirates plans to add GPRS data and internet capability as soon as the necessary satellite communications systems are upgraded later next year.

In August, budget carrier Ryanair announced a deal with rival technology partner OnAir to enable passengers to call, text and email on their mobile phones and email devices from mid-2007. Ryanair plans to equip its entire fleet by the end of 2008. OnAir systems will also be tested in single-aircraft trials with Air France, BMI and TAP Air Portugal in 2007.

BRUpax
8th Nov 2006, 20:40
I foresee lots of future cases of air rage. I'll probably be one of them. If a pax starts talking loudly on his/her mobile for hours on end, I'll take said mobile and ram it down his/her throat! :mad:. And, believe it or not, I'm not normally an aggressive person.

johnrizzo2000
9th Nov 2006, 20:11
Wasnt there supposed to be a code-share agreement with EK and EI where, EI would feed pax on its serice to DXB to 18-20 destinations????

camel
2nd Dec 2006, 16:06
Suppose after Flybe/bacon,Ryan /Aer Lingus,...: might just fly?:D

HZ123
2nd Dec 2006, 19:34
This has been mooted a number of times in the financial press during the last three months. If they have more monies than sense then it would be a good move to make their main base at LHR. If they are to become the global masters they will have to have a large base in the EU. Wait until WW has sorted out the pension fund and the T5 work practises are agreed, could be by next summer 2007.

coffindodger
7th Dec 2006, 09:49
Emirates has plans to order up to 50 or more mid-size jets to fill a gap in its fleet, a company official confirmed.
Mike Simon, senior vice president of corporate communications for Emirates, said the airline was talking to Airbus about its new A350XWB and to Boeing about its 787 Dreamliner to expand its fleet of planes in the 250- to 350-passenger category.
"It probably would be around 50, or maybe more," Simon said. At around $150 million per plane according to list price, such an order would come out to $7.5 billion.
Emirates already has about 100 planes on order, including 43 of the giant Airbus A380s which are suffering a 22-month delay.
Emirates has given its design preferences to both manufacturers, said Simon, suggesting that the company that Emirates selects for the contract may be the one that changes its planes to fit its needs.
'Nitty-gritty'
"We have talked to Boeing and we are hoping that they will eventually produce a 787 with a longer range and a bit higher [seating] capacity," Simon said. He also said Emirates still needed to get into the "nitty-gritty" and see what the A350 planes could do. "It's still in the very early stages," he said.
On December 1 Airbus announced it would go ahead with the A350XWB, a larger, more powerful version of its A350 with a carry capacity of between 270 to 350 passengers.
The first of the A350WXB planes will be ready in 2012, right at the time Emirates will replace its Airbus A330 aircraft and its older Boeing 777s.
'Nitty-gritty'
"We have talked to Boeing and we are hoping that they will eventually produce a 787 with a longer range and a bit higher [seating] capacity," Simon said. He also said Emirates still needed to get into the "nitty-gritty" and see what the A350 planes could do. "It's still in the very early stages," he said.
On December 1 Airbus announced it would go ahead with the A350XWB, a larger, more powerful version of its A350 with a carry capacity of between 270 to 350 passengers.
The first of the A350WXB planes will be ready in 2012, right at the time Emirates will replace its Airbus A330 aircraft and its older Boeing 777s.

boogie-nicey
7th Dec 2006, 10:23
That's the result of a business friendly environment and NO silly little anti-business Giddy Matrons we have become beset with here in the UK. I doubt BA can match such a frantic pace and that which we are all witnessing in the Middle East, South East Asia and the Pacific Rim.

That's what old full fat and full taste Socialist Gordon should have been thinking about when compiling his meaningless pre-budget speech yesterday.

Taildragger67
7th Dec 2006, 13:15
There's also the point that Emirates don't have quite the pension liability millstone around the corporate neck that BA have...

Actually the title of this thread is a bit misleading - it implies Emirates have placed an order. The opening line of the pasted-in article reads "Emirates has plans to order up to 50 or more mid-size jets" but the thrust of the article is that an order will not be placed for several (possibly quite a few) months.

akerosid
7th Dec 2006, 17:35
This is going to be a very hotly fought order and indeed, although EK is the focus of this thread, I can see many other carriers - CX, BA, IB etc - deciding between the A350-1000 and 787-10. I would expect to see the latter formally launched within the first quarter of '07.

If I were a betting man, I would say that EK's already stated interest in the 747-8I will have an impact on the decision; it wouldn't surprise me if EK decided to become a launch customer for the 787-10 and order 747-8Is (of whatever length, as Boeing hasn't ruled out building the smaller model of the 747-8 specifically for EK's requirement - and that decision could itself be crucial).

LH is also in the market for an aircraft of A350/787 size and yesterday's order, combined with the fact that the 787 is more suitable to short-medium haul routes than the A350 (which is intended as a long hauler) should favour the Boeing. It wouldn't surprise me to see the 787-10/747-8I pattern being continued in order major orders, such as CX and BA.

seacue
7th Dec 2006, 17:37
And the 787 and 747-8 use the same engine, do they not?

Wizofoz
8th Dec 2006, 03:03
To me, the biggest problem would be how to use any information Airbus gives on the 350. Is anyone, ever, going to believe a new Airbus type will be delivered on time and with performance that matches the launch retoric?

The jury also seems to be out as to wether the 787 will be a common type rating with the 777, so cross crewing potential comes into it.

swh
8th Dec 2006, 03:44

Dont think so, I think the GEnx on the 747-8 has a smaller fan, less thrust, one less generator, and normal bleed pickoff.

Taildragger67
8th Dec 2006, 08:13
Dont think so, I think the GEnx on the 747-8 has a smaller fan, less thrust, one less generator, and normal bleed pickoff.

Yeah but I think it's the same basic core; one of the reasons the new 747 is called the '-8' is to connote that it's taking some of the new technology from the 787 and I think that extends to donks. Will do some reading over the day and update later.

Surfing done. SWH is correct in that the fan diam on the GEnx for 787 is 111" and for the 747-8, 104" but they appear to be getting classified by the manufacturer (http://www.ge.com/stories/en/20429.html?category=Product_Business) as essentially the same engine:

To date, 17 customers have placed firm orders for more than 575 GEnx engines. The engine will power the Boeing 787 and 747-8 and the Airbus A350 aircraft. The value of the engines sold is more than $7 billion.

There's also a note on Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Electric_GEnx).

Reading some of Boeing's blurb when EK first started making noises about 787-10, it appears Boeing have been reluctant to kick off a -10 is because it would effectively kill off the 777. Hence Boeing probably don't want to do that until the programme has met its long-term revenue targets. Of course, come 2015 or so the 777 programme will be getting towards 30 years old and so looking at its natural run-down, but right now Boeing would be understandably reticent to promise anything which would impact sales of one of its most profitable programmes.

Hence it would probably want to be looking at launching with 3 or 4 large orders for the -10 before it committed.

fmgc
8th Dec 2006, 09:13
To me, the biggest problem would be how to use any information Airbus gives on the 350. Is anyone, ever, going to believe a new Airbus type will be delivered on time and with performance that matches the launch retoric?

And you believe what Boeing say about the 787 and that will go without a hitch?

Wiley
8th Dec 2006, 09:47
... and the fact that Dubai Holdings is talking about buying a large slice of EADS shares would have absolutely no bearing on applying a littte more pressure on Boeing to come up with the best deal they can possibly offer.

Rainboe
8th Dec 2006, 12:30
Sorry, but ek orders 50 new jets.
Where is the order for 50 new jets then? The headline was as actual news. It's just a rumour at this stage? Has an order been placed or not? If not, why was it posted as a positive item of news?

Taildragger67
8th Dec 2006, 12:35
Sorry, but
Where is the order for 50 new jets then? The headline was as actual news. It's just a rumour at this stage? Has an order been placed or not? If not, why was it posted as a positive item of news?

My point exactly (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showpost.php?p=3006991&postcount=3).

High Wing Drifter
25th Dec 2006, 14:58
Someone just suggested to me that Emirates are looking to buy BA. I haven't heard a dickybird about this until now so it could be complete bollocks.

Anybody else heard anything?

ManchesterMan
25th Dec 2006, 17:47
yeah I heard it was complete bollox 2

Merry Christmas!

MM

ETOPS
25th Dec 2006, 19:00
As I understand the rules today, EK could only buy 49% of BA which is not a controlling interest. Any more and the Yanks would pull our Bermuda 2 approval thus killing the most profitable routes. (Thats JFK etc not BDA for our famous misunderstanders ! )

Then there is the pension deficit which EK would have to assume in proportion to their stake.

Then there's BALPA and our "sacred" scheduling document.

Then there's our well motivated and hardworking ground staff ;) .

I won't even begin to tell you about the CC ( currently ballotting for a strike)

Until all those issues are sorted I wouldn't get too excited.....

coffindodger
25th Jan 2007, 02:50
this was taken out of todays gulf news

Emirates denies plan for new Boeing 777 order
Staff Report

Dubai: Emirates, the secondbiggest Arab airline, yesterday denied a report saying it has plans to order an additional 12 Boeing 777-300ERs valued at $3 billion.

A Bloomberg report earlier said that the planned purchase was because of the delays on the Airbus A380 superjumbo jet, quoting vice-chairman Maurice Flanagan.

"We've ordered 54 777-300ERs already to help us plug the gap left by the A380 on routes like New York, Sydney and Melbourne," Flanagan said in Davos, Switzerland. "We're now going to order 12 more 777-300ERs for delivery hopefully in 2008 for the same reason."

The airline has 45 of Airbus's 555-seat A380 on order, making the airline the biggest customer for the plane. Deliveries of the first A380s are running two years late. The airline now expects its A380 deliveries to start in August 2008, rather than April 2007, with the planes starting commercial service in the last two months of 2008.

The Boeing order is "imminent," Flanagan said. The delay from the A380 affects the airline's plans to fly to St Petersburg, Kiev, Madrid and Barcelona. The carrier is seeking compensation from Airbus to make up for the revenue lost through the delays.

"We won't be modest in our demands," Flanagan said. "When we get our first A380 we should have had 18, a huge hit on the airline and on its revenue producing capability."

Emirates has a cash balance of $3 billion at the moment so doesn't need to borrow to finance fleet expansion. In April at the end of its financial year, the airline will announce profits higher than last year's, Flanagan said, declining to be specific.

The planemaker is also looking to buy as many as 100 airliners in the 300-seat category and is considering both Airbus's A350 XWB and Boeing Co.'s competing 787, Flanagan said.

"We'll make our minds up on this order when we're entirely clear on what these models offer," he said. "We're not clear on the A350 widebody yet. We expect a clear picture from Airbus in a few months."

European Aeronautic, Defence & Space, the parent company of Toulouse, France-based Airbus, said January 17 that it will take charges for penalty payments to customers, writedowns of assets and the cost of a reorganisation in 2006 instead of 2007 as expected, producing a loss before interest and tax at the planemaking unit.

False Capture
25th Jan 2007, 07:33
The planemaker is also looking to buy as many as 100 airliners in the 300-seat category and is considering both Airbus's A350 XWB and Boeing Co.'s competing 787, Flanagan said.

I know I've just woken-up, but why is a 'planemaker' buying 100 airlines?:confused:

Taildragger67
25th Jan 2007, 08:21
I know I've just woken-up, but why is a 'planemaker' buying 100 airlines?:confused:

Because the journo got it wrong and the editor didn't pick it up?

Andy_S
25th Jan 2007, 08:31
Maybe they needed someone to sell their airliners to. :E
Sorry..... Like you said, you've just woken up.......

Taildragger67
25th Jan 2007, 08:41
As for a planemaker buying airliners...

recall a certain Oriental carrier and a few single-deck 4-holers... :}

niss
25th Jan 2007, 09:27
Maybee I am missing something.
Who are going to fly all these aircraft. Especially to that sallery.
For instance, Jet Airways are short off 300 cpts and are hiring F/O with a new B737 typerating, and the payscale starts with $8700 (B737) for CPT. + acc.

Oblaaspop
25th Jan 2007, 11:20
Quite a bit less than an EK capt then (on the new pay scheme after May 1st)... Whats your point?

Bare in mind the Jet salary is subject to income tax, so is not as attractive as it first appears. The upside is potential 'home basings' I guess?

niss
25th Jan 2007, 14:28
$8700 is net salary the income tax is paid by Jet, according to my 5 colleges there. So it is a very good deal.

sbh684b
26th Apr 2007, 09:24
EMIRATES’ PROFITS HIT NEW HIGH ON SUSTAINED DOUBLE DIGIT GROWTH

DUBAI, U.A.E., 26th April 2007 – The Emirates Group today reported its 19th consecutive year of profit with a new record performance backed by continued double-digit growth.
Group net profits increased 23.5 per cent to a new high of UAE Dirhams 3.5 billion (US $942 million) for the financial year ended 31st March 2007, while Group revenue increased by an impressive 28.4 per cent to Dhs 31.1 billion ($8.5 billion), compared to Dhs 24.2 billion ($6.6 billion) last year. The Group also maintained a robust cash balance of Dhs 12.9 billion ($3.5 billion) at the end of March, an improvement of 17.8 per cent against a year earlier.

Emirates will pay a dividend of Dhs 400 million ($109 million) to its owner, the Government of Dubai. In total, the ownership will have received Dhs 1.8 billion ($505 million) from Emirates since the financial year 2000-01. In 2006-07, the Emirates Group estimates a direct contribution of Dhs 14.5 billion ($4 billion), and another Dhs 21.7 billion ($5.9 billion) in indirect contribution to the Dubai economy.

The 2006-07 Annual Report of the Emirates Group - comprising Emirates Airline, Dnata and subsidiary companies – was released in Dubai today at a news conference hosted by His Highness Sheikh Ahmed bin Saeed Al-Maktoum, Chairman and Chief Executive, Emirates Airline and Group.

The Group’s latest record performance, backed by double-digit profit and revenue growth, reflects its success in growing demand for its services, and its ability to attract more premium customers through its multi-million dollar investments in product innovations and service enhancements. This is illustrated by the three million more passengers who flew Emirates in the latest financial year, for a new record total of 17.5 million.
Sheikh Ahmed said: “It has been another outstanding year of continued profitability and rapid growth. These results, against a backdrop of rising costs and significant aircraft delivery delays which have impacted our capacity growth, demonstrate Emirates’ ability to adapt and knuckle down to the challenge.”
He continued: “For the third year running, pressure from fuel costs has softened our profits, while the delay on our A380 aircraft deliveries has meant that we have had to revisit our expansion plans. In spite of these factors, the Group has continued to forge ahead, posting double-digit profit and revenue growth by expanding our operations into new markets and adding capacity to existing markets offering the highest returns; innovating to attract and retain premium customers; and keeping a close watch on unit costs.”
Sheikh Ahmed said: “The Emirates Group is exposed to fuel price fluctuations, rising interest rates, and the volatility of the US dollar against major currencies – all of which we have very little control over. In all other areas of our business, we have better control and in these we strive to improve efficiency and effectiveness, enhance productivity and constantly challenge the existing ways of doing business for continuous improvement. This is essential as we confidently stride ahead with our expansion plans and continue to invest in various new initiatives to manage the company’s growth.”
Across the Group, initiatives to improve efficiency and keep a tight rein on costs have also contributed to the positive results, as the Group maintained a strong net profit margin of 11.4 per cent.

Fuel costs remained the top expenditure accounting for 29.1 per cent of total operating costs, up from 27.2 per cent the previous year and 21.4 per cent the year before. Like other airlines, Emirates was forced to retain its fuel surcharges, which only covered about 50 per cent of incremental costs.

In a year where WTI crude oil prices have fluctuated from US$50 to $78 per barrel, Emirates’ challenge was to manage its fuel risk programme within a price range that ensured its net fuel cost remained below market levels. The airline’s jet fuel risk management programme continued to help mitigate fuel costs, saving the company Dhs 724 million ($197 million) in 2006-07.
In his opening review in the 2006-07 Annual Report, Sheikh Ahmed highlighted the mutually-supportive relationship between Dubai’s rapid development and the growth of Emirates and Dnata which have directly and indirectly contributed to the city’s growing infrastructure and reputation as an international centre for commerce and tourism.
He also remarked on how Emirates Airline has grown from a small operator of eight aircraft in 1990 to become the eighth largest international carrier in the world today with 102 aircraft and over 80 international destinations.
“I often get asked how it is possible Emirates can be so successful without subsidies or preferential treatment from the government,” he said. “There is no secret formula. We simply work hard, work smart, and have built our success on a sound and simple business model that focuses on growth, keeping unit costs low, and investing in innovations to keep ahead of the competition.”

Sheikh Ahmed concluded: “The Group’s strong performance this year is very gratifying. As with previous years, we intend to plough the retained profits back into our business – ensuring we have the right infrastructure, people and resources to support the company’s future growth, while providing our customers with the high quality services they have come to expect from us.”

Emirates Airline’s revenues totalled Dhs 29.8 billion ($8.1 billion) for the year, Dhs 6.8 billion ($1.8 billion) or 29.5 per cent higher than income of Dhs 23.1 billion ($6.3 billion) in 2005-06. Airline profits of Dhs 3.1 billion ($844 million) also surpassed the previous year’s record profits of Dhs 2.5 billion ($674 million).

With the addition of 12 new Boeing 777-300ER aircraft during the financial year, Emirates’ fleet reached 102 at the end of March, including nine freighters. The current fleet of all wide-bodied aircraft has an average age of 63 months – one of the youngest commercial fleet in the skies.

Amongst the highlights of the year was Emirates’ order for 10 Boeing 747-8 freighters worth Dhs 12.1 billion ($3.3 billion) at the 2006 Farnborough Air Show. The airline also ordered five additional Boeing 777-300ERs from GECAS on operating leases to meet its capacity requirements due to the delayed delivery of the A380s.

This will bring its 777-300ER fleet size to 59 which, coupled with its existing 777 fleet and freighters, will place Emirates as the largest operator of the 777 by 2010. Emirates’ current order book for 107 new aircraft is worth approximately Dhs 111 billion ($30 billion) in list prices. Over the next eight years, the airline will continue to receive delivery of one new aircraft per month on average.

During 2006-07, Emirates launched passenger services to four new cities – Bangalore, Beijing, Nagoya, and Tunis - bringing the network total to 89 destinations. In addition, it increased the frequency of passenger services to existing destinations, notably a second daily service to Zurich and Dusseldorf, along with a third daily flight to New York via Hamburg.

Passenger seat factor increased to 76.2 per cent from 75.9 per cent the previous year. Traffic increased by 21.6 per cent to 12,643 million tonne-kilometres, and keeping pace with a capacity increase of 22.9 per cent to 19,414 million tonne-kilometres. Breakeven load factor remained relatively low and improved marginally to 59.9 per cent from 60.2 per cent last year, while yield improved for the fifth consecutive year, to 216 fils (59 US cents) per RTKM (Revenue Tonne Kilometre), up from 203 fils (55 US cents) in 2005-06.

Over the past 12 months, nine new Emirates Lounges were opened at airports in key points across the airline’s network during the year, bringing to 18 the total number of world-class lounges dedicated to Emirates’ First and Business class customers and eligible frequent fliers. To date, the airline has invested Dhs 134 million ($37 million) in its lounge product, with another Dhs 49 million ($13 million) earmarked for 10 more Emirates Lounges in the financial year 2007-08.
Emirates also enhanced its product for young travellers, introducing a complimentary baby stroller service at Dubai airport and new onboard activity packs to keep its young customers happily entertained while flying.
The airline also progressed with its multi-million dollar programme to retrofit its existing 777 fleet with new SkyCruiser seats in First class, flat-bed seats in Business class, and its award-winning ‘ice’ inflight entertainment systems across all classes.

Emirates SkyCargo recorded strong growth across its network to carry 1.2 million tonnes of cargo, surpassing its record of one million tonnes of cargo carried last year by 13.5 per cent. The division’s revenue of Dhs 5.4 billion ($1.5 billion) was Dhs 874 million ($238 million) or 19 per cent higher than the year before, and contributed 20 per cent to the airline’s transport revenue, one of the highest contributions of any airline in the world with a similar fleet make-up.
In addition to the 10 Boeing 747-8 freighters ordered at the Farnborough Air Show, the division has signed a wet-lease agreement with TNT Airways S.A for a Boeing 747-400ERF commencing operations in May 2007, and another two aircraft of the same type from Guggenheim Aviation on dry-lease. The latter two aircraft will enter service in August 2007 and May 2008. Scheduled freighters now operate to 29 destinations. In all, Emirates SkyCargo carries freight in 102 aircraft, including nine freighters, to 89 cities.

The Destination and Leisure Management division of Emirates Airline saw another strong year of growth, with sales crossing the Dhs 1 billion ($314 million) mark. This represents an improvement of 22 per cent over the previous year, with yield up eight per cent despite the increasing competitive market conditions. During the year, Emirates Holidays and Arabian Adventures served a record number of 369,000 customers.
The division’s new Emirates Hotels & Resorts arm also continued to develop, and this financial year will see the launch of two new properties – Emirates Marina Hotel & Residence, due to open in September 2007, and Emirates Green Lakes Serviced Apartments, scheduled to open in January 2008.
Dnata recorded a solid performance with revenue growth of 16.5 per cent to Dhs 2.1 billion ($565 million) compared with Dhs 1.8 billion ($485 million). Dnata’s profits of Dhs 360 million ($98 million) represent an increase of 11 per cent compared to last year’s Dhs 324 million ($88 million) – this despite the mammoth challenge to keep operations at the Dubai airport and cargo terminals running smoothly around one of the biggest airport construction and expansion projects currently in progress.

In its 48th year of operation, Dnata remains at the heart of the rapid traffic growth at Dubai International Airport, handling a record 30 million passengers (up 17.2 per cent), 110,000 aircraft (up eight per cent) and 535,132 tonnes of cargo (up six per cent) during the 2006-07 fiscal year. Its corporate and retail travel arm, Dnata Agencies, also reported a 37 per cent increase in turnover, repositioned its retail brand Dnata Holidays to focus on luxury travellers, and celebrated its 40th year as GSA for seven airlines while welcoming three new airline customers.
As of 31st March 2007, the Group employed 30,344 people, up 13 per cent from a year before. In the past 12 months, Emirates has been receiving 60 new cabin crew recruits each week on average, and now has over 8,000 cabin crew representing more than 100 nationalities. Its 1,667 captains and first officers represent over 75 nationalities.

The Group’s Facilities Management Department currently has Dhs 580 million ($158 million) worth of new projects in Dubai under various stages of design and construction including: 700 apartments for cabin crew accommodation in Media City, a new call centre in Dubai Outsource Zone, new offices for D&LM on Sheikh Zayed Road and a new operations centre at Dubai Investment Park, and storage warehousing in Ghusais.

Three Yellows
10th May 2007, 15:14
Emirates airline has ordered four more Airbus A380 superjumbos, despite production delays to the project.
The decision by the Dubai-based carrier takes its total order for the giant double-decker aircraft to 47.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6632031.stm

KATLPAX
6th Jun 2007, 21:26
FROM GULFNEWS

Emirates unveils A380 seat plan
By Ivan Gale, Staff Reporter

Vancouver: Emirates airline, the largest customer of Airbus A380 superjumbo aircraft, will carry a jaw-dropping 644 passengers in some of the 47 planes it has on order when it begins receiving them next year.

Maurice Flanagan, vice chairman and group president, said Emirates will design its A380s in three separate seating configurations tailor made to different routes. The highest density configuration will seat 644 in business and economy with no first class.

Routes to Sydney, Melbourne and New York will be served by a three-class configuration carrying 490 passengers, while so-called "11-hour routes" such as Dubai-London will also have three classes and carry 514 passengers, Flanagan said.

"We'll fill the planes," he promised. "At the moment, there are destinations where we just can't get the seats for them - New York and Heathrow, for example."

Emirates is the eighth largest carrier by international traffic, and a recent report by Boston Consulting Group noted they could become the largest international airline by 2012, partly due to its expansion with the A380s. The revelations for the first time offer a detailed look at how the Dubai-based airline plans to use its mammoth order of double-decker planes. But while industry experts say Emirates will profit from integrating the new planes into its network, they note having three different seating plans for the A380 fleet could be risky.

David Field, an editor with Airline Business magazine, said the plans usher in a string of firsts for an airline already known for innovation.

"There have been some 500 seat configurations (for the A380), but no other airline has announced more than one configuration, and no one has announced anything over 550 seats."

He added, "Emirates has an extremely good reputation in the industry as a high quality and highly profitable airline, so anything they do, people would look at very carefully."

Caution

But he also cautioned that in an era where the airline industry strives to simplify business plans, three different seating plans could constrain the airline if complications arose.

"The more complexity you add to different configurations, the more pitfalls you set up all the way down the line," he said. "Granted, they have a big fleet, but airlines in the US, who have dedicated one fleet type to a specific route have always run into problems. What happens when an airplane gets sick?"

Golf Charlie Charlie
6th Jun 2007, 21:45
Since when has Dubai-London been an 11-hour route ?

PAXboy
6th Jun 2007, 22:12
The journos can't resist hyping it up:- will carry a jaw-dropping 644 passengers
The jaw dropping bit is that the a/c could carry over 800. It isn't. So they have to make it sound interesting.

Flight Detent
7th Jun 2007, 01:55
errrrr...GCC...this is an Airbus !

Taildragger67
7th Jun 2007, 13:14
Poor Mr Field mustn't get out much these days, I can't think of a major carrier with a large number of a given type which doesn't have multiple configs.

What happens if it goes wrong? Well, if it's an engo problem, you add it to your reliability compensation bill to give to the manufacturer under your performance guarantee. Simple.

GW76
7th Jun 2007, 18:54
When is GLA going double daily...?

OltonPete
7th Jun 2007, 19:51
GW76

This has been discussed on other forums especially after the recent press release about how quick they reached 500000 pax on the route (I think).

However unless it is taking huge amounts of business pax then I would have thought they would wait until they fill the first aircraft.

The CAA stats since September last year show it exceeding 300 pax per flight (on average) in January only assuming that it ran daily.

April 17532 - 292 pax or 68% load factor
Mar 18310 - 295 pax or 69%
Feb 15945 - 285 pax or 67%
Jan 20495 - 330 pax or 77%
Dec 18098 - 292 pax or 68%
Nov 15311 - 255 pax or 60%
Oct 17435 - 281 pax or 66%
Sep 15738 - 262 pax or 62%

Good figures but not brilliant and with Newcastle starting in September
is it likely they would risk another Glasgow rotation.

The 2nd BHX flight was awful for the first six to eight months and they must have taken a big hit but it seems to have recovered. In fact I was
on the A332 (EK37) last Sunday and the captain stated it was full (Economy certainly was), this during a month it has traditionally not
done that well but of course it was the end of the school holidays.

Pete

fuelclog
10th Jun 2007, 23:31
Having heard that rumor from various sources, I was wondering if someone could confirm it or provide reliable informations regarding it being true or false.
Thanks

pwalhx
11th Jun 2007, 06:10
Flew back EK to Manchester last week, have heard rumuors again of a 3rd flight, is this likely any time soon.

old,not bold
11th Jun 2007, 10:30
Emirates Purchasing ATRs

What on earth for? Have they got a short-haul subsidiary or partner somewhere?

airsupport
18th Jun 2007, 09:57
EMIRATES AIRLINE AGREES TO BUY EIGHT ADDITIONAL AIRBUS A380s

Dubai based Emirates Airline has signed an agreement to buy eight additional A380 aircraft, taking their total order for the aircraft to 55. The letter of Intent was signed at the 47th International Paris Air show at le Bourget between Sheikh Ahmed Bin Saeed Al Maktoum, Chairman, Emirates Group and Louis Gallois, Airbus President and CEO.

Emirates was a launch customer for the A380 and already had the largest number of aircraft on order. The A380 fleet will start deliveries in the third quarter of 2008.

“Today, we’ve signalled our intent to buy eight more A380 aircraft, taking our total order to 55. This should leave no one in any doubt about our commitment to Airbus’ very large aircraft. The A380 will offer our customers the latest standards in comfort and Emirates Airline new standards of operational efficiency.” said Sheikh Ahmed Bin Saeed Al Maktoum, Chairman, Emirates Group.

“It gives us a great sense of pride that Emirates Airline are showing such faith in our A380 product and in Airbus. We thank Emirates Airline for this. Some have labelled the A380 the “gentle giant” and certainly at Airbus we are very proud of the A380’s environmental friendliness with levels of fuel efficiency that will help make aviation better for all,” said Airbus President and CEO Louis Gallois.

Being cleaner, greener, quieter and smarter, the A380 is already setting new standards for transport and the environment. Per passenger, the A380 is as fuel efficient as a small economical family car. The combination of extra passenger capacity without increasing the number of flights, excellent environmental performance and lower operating costs is an ideal solution for both increasingly congested airports and the airlines that serve them.

For passengers, the A380 offers larger, more comfortable seats in all classes and in the quietest cabins in the sky. It also gives airlines flexibility to economically offer improved comfort standards without reducing fleet capacity. By adapting to the latest market trends for larger premium class products, the A380 can typically carry 525 passengers in three classes in unprecedented comfort on flights of over 8000 nm (15 000km).

Airbus is an EADS company.

akerosid
18th Jun 2007, 11:46
There was a report, on the A.net news thicker (i.e. not a forum rumour) that the A350 deal (for 60-100) was to be announced today too. Anything more on that, or is EK going to keep dragging that out for another bit?

Taildragger67
18th Jun 2007, 12:14
Read a report earlier today quoting Tim Clark as saying they (EK) are still talking to both A & B about the mid-size order and it'll come within the next few months.

cesare.caldi
18th Jun 2007, 16:59
Probably new A380 buy today will be used for Emirates Express (name is not definitive) the new low cost of Emirates

Taildragger67
18th Jun 2007, 17:01
Yikes, the 800+ seater is on the way! :eek::yuk:

reDevil05
24th Jul 2007, 18:51
According to the local Luxembourg newspaper "Wort", Emirates will start flying to Luxembourg by the end of this year with a passenger service.
In the past EK used to have a cargo route to ELLX (LUX) but have since then stopped flying to Luxembourg.

From what i've heard they will be setting up a hub that is primarily fed by Luxair, EK will use Luxembourg as a stop for their new Dubai - Canada route. Apparently having trouble with FRA and CDG for future expansion plans that are mostly due to their 45 orders of A380's.

With the new terminal at Luxembourg airport almost finished this would indeed make sense for both EK and LG.

Also, last week i visited the emirates.com page and Luxembourg was indeed on their route map but has been removed since then.

Does anyone know more ?

Original newspaper article in german can be found here: http://www.wort.lu/articles/5957245.html

PS: would be nice to see Emirates flying to Luxembourg.. especially since i fly to Dubai often. But on the other hand it wouldn t surprise me if all this was just a publicity stunt. Wouldn t be the first time for EK to make the headlines for free.

Dragon tracker
26th Jul 2007, 14:59
When are Emirates going to look at the South West of the UK?

The opportunity to serve CWL must surely be something to consider ahead of LUX.

The money the Welsh Government would put into it is good plus the growing business movements from China and India with Wales must be something to consider.

This is in addition to all the volumes of pax from the South West who travel on KL and AF from BRS and CWL to Asia for business.

Surely they must also realise that with the growing volumes of cars on the M4, pax are choosing to skip London where possible.

Seems like this market would be a no-brainer and would probably give better yields than transit traffic over LUX as their next growth market.

merchant sailors
26th Jul 2007, 15:38
When will EK consider CWL?

I agree with Dragon Tracker. This market must surely be something worth considereing.

The amount of sailors we have travelling from Wales to Manila is immense.
As we can't always get seats on KLM and our some of the travel agents we use only send our staff via London with an average drive between 4 and 5 hours. From London we land up using CX / MH and SQ.

EK would be an ideal airline for this.

The 5 industrial harbours in Wales provide us with very good business in the shipping industry and this new LNG project link to Qatar with up to 10 large LNG vessles sailing regularly between Doha and Wales from Next year will continue to increase this volume.

In addition, Is is not also true that the new British MOD academy will be in Wales? This will also generate large business traffic.

Plus don't forget all us Oz boys with Welsh roots. I would be there regularly to see my family and I know there are plenty of the Welsh boys in Dubai who regularly use BA to LHR get back to Wales.

Come on EK, must be a better option than LUX:ugh:

MonkeyB
26th Jul 2007, 15:53
EK came very close to starting CWL a couple of years ago, if their new service to NCL does as well as Glasgow and Birmingham then there's a fair bet that they'll be looking at CWL agian. All these new planes they have on order have got to fly somewhere!

MB

Dragon tracker
26th Jul 2007, 16:09
Thanks for the input from Merchant Sailors

don't mean to be picky, but last time I counted 7 industrial harbours on the Welsh South Coast, then there are also the harbours on the English side of the Bristol Channel.

bring on the Asian Sailors.

Come on EK, more food for thought. They must be worth adding to the equations when doing your numbers.

don't forget the added bonus of sports activity in Cardiff. There might be another couple of stadiums up for sponsorship deals.

The Emirates Millenium Stadium would certainly get big TV coverage. You might find they do you a deal.

merchant sailors
26th Jul 2007, 16:14
Looks like they missed a trick this year then going to NCL instead of Wales.

Especially with the World Cup Rugby and Cardiff hosting 4 matches including a quarter final.

Don't forget there is also the next Ashes with Cardiff being a ground and then the big Ryder Cup in Wales on 2010.

Big things happening in Wales on the sports side but the industrial growth in the area is amazing.

The stuff we are putting on the ships is incredible. Have also heard that there is going to be further growth around the corner with Chinese and Indian investors following the Dutch, Americans and Germans. Corus for a start is now Indian.

all sounds like much more opportunity than LUX:ugh:

2J&D
26th Jul 2007, 16:26
Hi Guys

just to through this open a little more, but do you think EK would consider starting operations for an airport that does not have a fantastic scheduled operation?

Now dont flame me here, but BRS surely has a better chance given the activity at the airport. With CO, the new AF service and the hope that someone is going to jump in to the Germany slots...Remember also CO and EK codeshare on flights from LGW to EWR and IAH, so could this also give BRS the edge?

I do not doubt the fact there is a market for such a flight in the area including the CWL catchment area, but you only need to go to BRS and notice the amount of people who have possibly travelled over the bridge....Even had the Welsh Beach rugby champions on a flight earlier this week when heading back from Italy!

Like I say do not take what I have said as a knock to CWL, I would give my left arm to avoid LHR to get to DXB and further afield! but I think the airlines look at it a little more indepth, than just 'lets start a flight for the sake of it.'

Thanks

akerosid
26th Jul 2007, 16:40
I guess EK has a long list of airports submitting route studies and offers to them to serve their airport; luckily they (and QR) have quite a big shopping list of aircraft, so I'm sure they are actively looking for new destinations.

Obviously, my personal choice would be DUB; there is a very considerable market for far east/Australia traffic and EI doesn't seem to be pushing its interline deal with EK very much, nor marketing it. EK, I think could do a much better job, particularly as EI's efforts are now very much focused on the US market.

Sure, it's great to have Etihad coming in, but EK is the biggest of them all (in the M/E) and its combination of reputation, marketing prowess and network size could make DUB a very good destination from Asia/ME/Africa/Australia etc. And if they don't, QR will ...

Shouldn't CWL, BRS etc be looking in Doha's direction too?

2J&D
26th Jul 2007, 16:54
Completly agree re QR EY etc, but dont you feel that they haven't quite got the routes that the 'regional' flights would warrant?

QR are great for Asia and the surrounds i.e india / Pakistan etc and EY have their flights to SYD. But with EK they can cover these areas, plus the added bonus of covering all major points in Aus & NZ.

If i remember corectly QR used a A319LR for their flight to Berlin (if my memory is what it is!) People wonder about BRS and its runway, but speaking to those who work at the airport, this is not a worry.

However, as I said before if it mean't not having the 'delights' of travelling from LHR anything would do!

Just one of these airlines would be more than welcome! I certainly have the call for it and it is something that my customers ask for time and again (I own a travel agency)

aeulad
26th Jul 2007, 23:44
Why do Cardiff supporters feel the need to hijack thread after thread? Managed to turn Emirates and Turkish threads into CWL based discussions, not possible to keep to the Cardiff thread?

Regards

Mike

Taildragger67
7th Sep 2007, 13:39
Thomson Markets news article:

Emirates Airlines looks to double Airbus A380 order to 110

DUBAI (Thomson Financial) - Dubai-based Emirates Airlines wants to double its order of 55 Airbus A380 super jumbo jets when airport capacity in its home base permits, its president Tim Clark said today.

"I want to double (the number of A380s on order)" from the European aircraft maker, Clark told reporters.

But "55 is the absolute number of aircraft we can accommodate at the moment," he added ahead of a demonstration flight of the Boeing 777
long-haul aircraft just received by the airline.

Clark told Agence France-Presse that Emirates could take "a lot" more A380s, but Dubai international airport, the Middle East's busiest air hub, "can handle so much" for now.

The development of a second airport under construction in the bustling emirate will be a key factor in increasing the capacity of the fast-growing
airline to handle more planes, he said.

Emirates is the biggest customer for the A380. The first of the 55 aircraft it has ordered in deals worth billions of dollars is due to be delivered in the first quarter of next year.

[email protected]
vb/gp

COPYRIGHT

Copyright AFX News Limited 2007. All rights reserved.
The copying, republication or redistribution of AFX News Content, including by
framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written
consent of AFX News.

robo283
7th Sep 2007, 19:23
Blimey. That's a lot of money.

EGAC_Ramper
7th Sep 2007, 23:22
and I think they got it.....

ConstantFlyer
8th Sep 2007, 21:07
The launch of the new route to Newcastle last weekend went very well. I understand the first few flights have gone out full. The EK top brass were over here this week and threw a stunning bash at the Gateshead Hilton on Tuesday. On Wednesday the new control tower at NCL was opened - now duly named the Emirates Tower. There's been much publicity on the local tv news, radio and in the local papers. Public awareness seems very high. General feeling seems to be 'thank goodness we have an alternative now to LHR/AMS/CDG'.

lukeylad
9th Sep 2007, 13:15
Yes its great to see EK at NCL was nice meeting the top brass aswell last week for the tower opening.

A330 Dreamer
26th Sep 2007, 00:06
Having noticed on flightglobal.com Boeing has produced a B777-200LR for emirates.

what benefits will this do for their current fleet by already having the 300?

Wizofoz
26th Sep 2007, 03:09
They will serve longer range destinations such as San Paulo and Houston, and possibly San Fran or LA at some point, which are out of range of the 300ER.

Fart Master
26th Sep 2007, 04:17
As I see it it's the Boeing equivalent of the Airbus 340-500, it's a tanker, it can't carry as much as the 300ER but it can go a long way, in effect it's their ULH aircraft

TwinJock
26th Sep 2007, 05:56
-200 fuselage, -300 ER wings and engines (slightly derated), -200 nose gear, -300 ER main gear with -200 wheels. Real mix and match to get the range required. Magic to fly though!

Wizofoz
26th Sep 2007, 10:00
As I see it it's the Boeing equivalent of the Airbus 340-500,

...Except it carries more further whilst using less fuel!:ok:

SOPS
26th Sep 2007, 11:05
Well..you learn something everyday..I did not realise the 200 and 300 had diffrent size wheels...back to the books!!!:eek:

Dave Gittins
26th Sep 2007, 12:09
Actually this is pretty old news as it has been flying (and setting records) since 2005.

http://www.boeing.com/commercial/777family/200LR/index.html

Blowchowski
26th Sep 2007, 14:19
I had no Idea it has different size wheels and I build the silly thing. Also there are two extra fuel tanks on B deck just forward and aft of 44 section.

SOPS
26th Sep 2007, 15:55
just asked maint...they say they are all the same....but please direct me to the Boeing info that says wheels are different..I really want to know.

Just as a thought, if the wheels were bigger, the wheel bay must be bigger as well??? Yes or no??

A330 Dreamer
26th Sep 2007, 17:33
thanks for the replies guys.

wondered that out of curiosity.

Longhitter
11th Nov 2007, 10:06
Our friends from DXB just ordered 93(!) new aircraft. 70 A350XWB with an option on another 50, confirmed orders for 8 A380 and bought another 3, Boing got the scraps: 12 777-300ER.

So did they have the wrong (or good) stuff in their waterpipe or does it make sense? Comments please!

Rainboe
11th Nov 2007, 10:21
Wow! Doesn't the A350XWB act as an updated 777 replacement, with near enough similar capacity and all the savings of updated technology? The A350 order is inevitable- it will be the long haul high capacity aeroplane passengers demand. The cascade of orders is just about to get underway. All the major Far East players, big European carriers will have them. Boeing and GE have effectively killed the B747-8 with their exclusive engine deal. An arrogance that is curiously commercially uncompetetive. The big question is- when will Lufthansa quietly 'change' their order for this useless aeroplane?

spannersatcx
11th Nov 2007, 12:02
CX has ordered some - announced Friday - 10 Boeing 747-8F freighters and a further seven 777-300ER passenger aircraft.

Pontious
11th Nov 2007, 15:41
I wonder why they want the A350 as opposed to the 787?

Anyone got any ideas?

Groundloop
12th Nov 2007, 07:48
Eh, maybe they think it's better?:\

Torquelink
12th Nov 2007, 08:24
. . and because Boeing dragged their feet over defining/launching the 787-10 which, anyway, would have less capacity/range than equivalent A350XWB? Peed off because Boeing refused to build shorter fuselage / longer range version of 747-8?

JerseyNiteStop
17th Jan 2008, 00:45
Does Emirates have a Cabin crew/Air Crew in house newsletter ???? If yes - what is it called??? Or does it just operate an intranet to keep its crew updated on company news???

bcn_boy
17th Jan 2008, 09:25
any further expansion planned in the UK?

MUFC_fan
17th Jan 2008, 22:12
1. MAN to see third daily.
2. DUB to get daily 77W.
3. NCL to go either 2x daily A330 or upgraded to 777.
4. GLA to get 2nd daily flight (A330)

Maybe some more LON expansion aswell.

Just what I think!;)

OltonPete
18th Jan 2008, 22:31
The CAA provisional stats for December show: -

BHX 33095 Avg 267 or 76% load factor
GLA 20251 Avg 327 or 75% load factor
MAN 42210 Avg 340 or 79% load factor
NCL 11401 Avg 184 or 66% load factor

If you take these at face value, you would have to say that no expansion is on the cards for these airports as there are nearly 100 spare seats on every flight.

However as ever these figures do not tell the whole story as I know from BHX with the A332 on EK38. This flight often goes out full due to the connecting pax to Australia and I am sure that EK would not want to turn pax away but the connection time on the earlier EK40 is ridiculously long and thus rumour that an upgrade is being looked at.

Also of course if business is selling out frequently on any of these services it would also pose another problem for EK.

However there are so many airports around the globe (if you believe what you read/hear) trying to get one EK service it is going to be a difficult juggling act to keep every one happy and service the demand.

Once the 380's start getting delivered it will free up some aircraft but even then three 772's are supposed to be leaving the fleet this year.

Pete

SouthAfrican
2nd May 2008, 17:47
No inside info but it'll be brilliant for South Africa (Emirates flights to Joburg, Cape Town & Durban).

BlackBird
10th Nov 2008, 15:04
The last I heard oil was selling for $61pb. How does EK hedge their fuel?

Page last updated at 12:50 GMT, Monday, 10 November 2008
BBC website

Emirates is the biggest Middle East airline

Emirates Airline has reported a 88% drop in its net profit for the half year to 30 September, out largely down to higher oil prices.

The biggest Middle East carrier's net profit was 284m dirhams ($77m, £48.8m), from 2.36bn dirhams a year earlier.

The Dubai government-owned airline said its fuel costs were $469m higher than it had planned in its budget, during a "very tough time" for the industry.

The company's operating revenue rose 31% to $6bn.

"The first half of the year has been very tough for the airline industry, with record fuel prices forcing many carriers to shut shops or consolidate," Emirates chairman Sheikh Ahmed bin Saeed al-Maktoum said in a statement.

"Emirates has worked hard to manage the impact of high fuel prices on our unit costs, while continuing to grow our business," he added.

The airline is the largest customer of the A380 superjumbo. It currently has two A380 airliners in its 121-aircraft fleet.

BYALPHAINDIA
10th Nov 2008, 15:40
I didn't think 'Profit Loss' existed in the UAE??

greuzi
10th Nov 2008, 15:56
Declared costs are one thing...

Airbus Girl
10th Nov 2008, 15:58
But isn't that an almost identical % to the drop in profits that BA has just announced?

Flying Spag Monster
10th Nov 2008, 16:05
Blackbird the profit statement was for the half year ending September....oil did not cost $61pb back then, almost double that if my memory serves me correctly.

PanzerJohn
10th Nov 2008, 18:43
I thought most of the airlines in the sandbox had their own oil wells. :ok:

.Aero
10th Nov 2008, 21:40
oil did not cost $61pb back then, almost double that if my memory serves me correctly.

Price Development (http://www.iata.org/whatwedo/economics/fuel_monitor/price_development.htm)

mickyman
13th Jan 2009, 15:35
I would like to be the first to confirm that it is a rumour.

Thankyou,

MM

Niall Foster
13th Jan 2009, 18:34
Dubai - Durban planned launch back in 2008, but postponed, is now starting from 01OCT09, daily service

EK775 DXB0445 - 1130DUR 332 D
EK776 DUR1300 - 2340DXB 332 D

Super D
30th Jan 2009, 05:23
I would have posted this in the Emirates forum but for some reason unknown to me I am denied access to the page; so I post it here:

Can anyone confirm new routes Emirates will soon be flying? Where? When? I heard Vancouver, Canada to be one of them.

Cyrano
30th Jan 2009, 07:01
I would imagine you are denied access to the Emirates forum because you don't work for Emirates, or, if you do, because you have not given evidence of this fact to the forum moderator.

Sorry, can't answer your question about new routes, but I thought I'd clarify the access issue anyway...

wild goose
14th Mar 2009, 21:30
The Australian newspaper has published this about Emirates being unhappy with the reliability of their A380's:

Emirates unhappy with Airbus A380 | The Australian (http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,25189181-12377,00.html)

thatscaptaintou
14th Mar 2009, 21:36
"burned electric cables"

Probably from all the electrical fittings in the first class suites they've built

And as for missing cabin fixtures, maybe pax are nicking the gold fittings?

VFD
15th Mar 2009, 02:50
burned electric cables"

If memory serves me correctly I thought there was going to be "considerable weight savings" by using Al wiring instead of copper on the 380. I wonder if the terminations are an issue with the cables if they are Al or some other issue? Hmmmm

VFD

missy
15th Mar 2009, 03:23
Talk is that the actual fuel burn on the Emirates A380's is markedly different to that claimed.

airfoilmod
15th Mar 2009, 03:34
Wiring is outlawed in this Country, for Residential and commercial structures. It gets real HOT. It also creates corrosion in contact with other metals, as anyone who owns an Aluminum airplane will attest.

Sorry, ALUMINIUM ??

AF

The Trappist
15th Mar 2009, 11:41
AFM see here: Aluminium - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aluminium)

Then go argue 'til the cows come home… :ok:

Basil
15th Mar 2009, 12:05
airfoilmod,
In round figures Al (avoided that one :)) has a Specific Resistance about 50% higher than Cu so, if a 50% increase in cross section was used wouldn't that result in about the same temperature?
Melting temps are: Al 660C & Cu 1083C
You'd still achieve a weight reduction because the mass of Cu is 232% that of Al.

I can understand Al being a bit trickier to fit.

Above from my old tables: 1904 Revised 1957 :suspect:

rolibkk
15th Mar 2009, 14:00
Burned cabling? That was due to their showers in the first class? Destroyed interios? Passengers taking souvenirs. Engine Faults? If you read the german article you'll notice it is about panels - most probably ground handlers not being careful enough or whatever ... if the plane works for SQ and QF, I rather see the whining due to:

"A source close to Airbus told AFP on Thursday Emirates was seeking a delay in the delivery of several of the long-haul A380 superjumbo jets because of financing difficulties. "

So it's all part of making some noise in the market to get better conditions on their renegotiations ....

airfoilmod
15th Mar 2009, 16:25
Aluminium is vulnerable to corrosion. If you have bought an A/C one inspection is for this very thing. Aluminum in the presence of salts or dissimilar metals will degrade. It is unlawful to wire a home with it and furthermore, Wiki as a source is bollocks. What it does do is protect itself by oxidation of its outside layer, scratch that off at a terminal and corrosion begins, I can't believe AI used Aluminum cabling.

AF

(cheers)

HZ123
15th Mar 2009, 16:42
'Talk is that the actual fuel burn on the Emirates A380's is markedly different to that claimed'.

Is there an a/c yet that has achieved its claimed burn figure?

airfoilmod
15th Mar 2009, 16:43
I love the folk dearly, but it is a cultural thing to negotiate from artifice. Responsibility is avoided at every turn in a problem, culpability is for others.

rubik101
16th Mar 2009, 03:11
and just two days ago:

The spokeswoman said that Emirates' remained confident in the A380, adding that it was an "excellent" aircraft and that feedback from its customers had been "very positive". She said the company had no plans to cancel any orders.

Don't believe everything you read on PPrune.

Basil
16th Mar 2009, 09:51
By no means a materials engineer but, all other things being equal, the oxide layer will rapidly reform but, if the metals are in close contact then no O2 will penetrate therefore no oxide.
If there is an electrolite present then all bets are off EXCEPT that Al superstructures and fittings are mixed with steel on ships. They are attached using either insulated ferrules or explosive welded Al/Steel spacers.
Problems arise when, years after manufacture, someone, unaware of the problem, comes along and carries out some unauthorised modification.
Have to say I do feel uncomfortable with mixing Al and other metals.

I'd be astonished to hear that Airbus were using Al cable inappropriately bearing in mind the high profile of the Kapton problems.

Xeque
19th Mar 2009, 04:21
This from the Sydney Morning Herald:
Emirates drops A380 superjumbo service to US (http://www.smh.com.au/travel/travel-news/emirates-drops-a380-superjumbo-service-to-us-20090319-92l5.html)
I wondered whether Emirates were setting their sights too high with a twice daily service to New York, one with the A380 and the other with a B777. Saudia/PanAm tried it with a 747SP during the 70's and it was quite quickly discontinued for lack of passengers.
Is it really the recession or is it that the bulk of passengers are finding a 12 plus hour direct flight just too much to bear? OK if your employer pays for First or Business (or you are just plain rich :) ) I guess but for all others???

Khaosai
19th Mar 2009, 04:29
Hi,

dont think the flight time is the issue with pax. Global downturn is the major player here and EK are making a decision to utilise the aircraft on other sectors where pax figures are still very high, Bangkok for one.

Flagship to a major international city after intial launch for sure played a part, but they have always changed aircraft type depending on market force in the past.

Rgds.

Reimers
19th Mar 2009, 06:21
Xeque, you don't honestly suggest that load factors of the 70's have any meaning regarding today's traffic, do you?

Hobo
19th Mar 2009, 06:32
It's the lack of pax. Even down the back one very long sector is better than two just long sectors. If you've ever done any long haul flying, the last thing you feel like doing after a 7 hour flight is getting airborne for another 7 hours. 14 hours may go on a bit, but it is infinitely preferable.

llondel
19th Mar 2009, 10:01
Is it really the recession or is it that the bulk of passengers are finding a 12 plus hour direct flight just too much to bear?

Given the choice I'd rather do a direct 12hr flight than a two-leg one possibly taking up to 16 hours to complete. Even if I'm stuck in the back. Having had experience of rushed connections due to late arrival of the first flight (followed by not all the bags making the connection), getting stuck at the half-way point due to cancellation of the second flight and all of that, it's much easier to get on the aircraft and endure one continuous stretch of discomfort.

Carrier
19th Mar 2009, 15:13
Quote: “Even down the back one very long sector is better than two just long sectors.“

Strongly disagree! Over more than three decades Mrs C and I have been travelling between North America, usually from Canada, and South Africa. In 1996 we tried the non-stop New York - Johannesburg flight of SAA, over 16 hours. Way too long to be cooped up in a tin tube with inadequate leg room and disgusting bogs after about halfway! We much prefer to break our journey in Europe. This gives us a day room or an opportunity to do some shopping or have a meal with some friends or relatives. We normally route via the UK but the last trip deliberately avoided both the UK and USA because of the security nazis. Also in the USA bags have to be collected and rechecked, sometimes even having to be taken between airports as in Kennedy/La Guardia, but travelling via Europe they are checked right through from start to finish. Also we prefer daylight flights rather than overnighters.

As an add-on to the above, in North America, Africa and the UK we now drive wherever possible, or use the train in the UK, because the whole air transport experience has become so anti-passenger. Air travel now takes considerably longer than it used to because of increased check in times (when I started in the 1950s it was always 30 minutes domestic and one hour international), increased waiting times to check in because usually less than half the check-ins are open, and additional waiting for security. Bags are now more likely to be lost or damaged, even deliberately ripped open by American security goons, and contents stolen. On top of this is the often bullying behaviour of the security nazis and the obnoxious air transport industry attitude that anyone who complains of bad or no service is a terrorist. It’s no surprise that large numbers of pax have quit air travel where possible in favour of rail, coach, car or ferry.

Until the whole air transport industry, including security, restores the basics of customer service it does not deserve any sympathy. Do those in air transport want jobs or not?

Pax Vobiscum
19th Mar 2009, 17:35
Carrier "had we but world enough and time" I'd agree with you, but generally I'm on a deadline to reach my final destination. In such cases, I agree with llondel - better 12 hours straight than 2 x 7 hour sectors with a 2 hour stop over.

deltayankee
19th Mar 2009, 19:39
I'd also agree it is about the downturn. Everyone I know prefers one long agony rather than a medium agony, a daunting wait then a brief misery. Carrier's approach with time off between legs is the scenario we dream of, but for me it is about as realistic as doing London-New York by ship.

pwalhx
19th Mar 2009, 20:57
Depends on where you are going to and from I guess for example next Saturday I am flying Manchester to Hong Kong, I prefer to fly Manchester to Doha, have a break then fly Doha to HK rather than the shuttle to Heathrow and a driect flight from there. But we all prefer different things so I guess you will get agreement/disagreement on both sides.

B772
19th Mar 2009, 21:49
Carrier. At my stage in life it is difficult to disagree with anything you said

johnnychips
19th Mar 2009, 23:58
The thread seems to have changed tack to being a discussion about long flights v short flights.

To get back to the original, will a 777 be non-stop like the 380? Will it take longer? Are the flight facilities/seats etc different?

deltayankee
20th Mar 2009, 00:13
Actually the original question was "Is it really the recession or is it that the bulk of passengers are finding a 12 plus hour direct flight just too much to bear?" so we are not really OT.

Answer: it really is the recession. Not so many customers.

Metro man
20th Mar 2009, 00:29
London - Sydney not yet done direct, but would you rather have a 20 hour non stop or 14 hours to Singapore then stay in the transit hotel airside for 12 hours before connecting. Decent sleep in a proper bed, bath, clean clothes, nice meal. Do some shopping, go for a swim, workout in the gym then catch a connecting flight with a decent arrival hour at your destination ?

Count von Altibar
21st Mar 2009, 02:15
380 versus b777, so what, they're both large aircraft. I'm sure Emirates have found something else to do with their flying pig!

rolibkk
21st Mar 2009, 08:25
EK operates 2 daily flights to NYC, not just one. Maybe A380 was too large for a twice daily ops (777 and A380). EK goes back to 2x777 and use the A380 to Toronto.

StoneyBridge Radar
21st Mar 2009, 08:56
Terribly misleading header, almost mischievous in intent, leading the reader down the Airbus v Boeing debacle yet once more :ugh:

What is conveniently circumvented is the facts of the story, to which a more suitable header would have been "US economy in the crapper; Emirates pulls A380 off JFK whilst opening 2 new A380 routes to Toronto and Seoul."

'Nuff said. Next please.

WRT sector lengths, KLM have operated AMS-MNL successfully for donkey's years. Winter westbounds can often be 14+ hours. Always been a pleasure, but I can't imagine the hell it must be on their 77Ws with 10 abreast in Unwashed. :sad:

Xeque
23rd Mar 2009, 05:44
Stoney Bridge (post 184):
I am not attempting to re-open the B v A argument. Not something I'm particularly interested in. Given the departure points (i.e. oil rich UAE and KSA) there are (and were) plenty of potential passengers for the direct Gulf/USA routes. Trouble was for Saudia/PanAm that no-one liked the time in flight. I think it's the same now.
Metroman's post (181) says it all and echo's what has been my attitude to long distance journeys for many years. The maximum I can take is BKK/LHR direct at 11/12 hours and now I've cut that back a little by flying into Schiphol and taking the train into London so as to avoid the sheer horror of Heathrow. Anything longer than that and I break the journey and do exactly what Metroman says. Hot bath/shower, pleasant dinner, good night's sleep in a proper bed, and a hearty breakfast before I go off to the airport to start again on the next leg. The airports that have established Airside Hotels have recognised the need. Singapore has one of the best in the world but there are others just as good at Dubai, Bahrain etc. London Airports should provide such facilities also. Then transiting passengers who are not prepared to 'camp out' in the departure lounges could enjoy some real comfort whilst avoiding the trauma and degradation of (so-called) 'security' checks were they to have gone 'landside' and into local hotels (assuming, of course, that they were allowed to).
It's up to the airlines to provide passengers with the ability to do this without swingeing fare penalties. Perhaps, now that passenger figures are dropping, the airlines' beancounters might recognise this.
Trouble with doing it all in one go is that, although you have reached your destination in the shortest time, you arrive totally wrecked and unable to do anything significant for at least 24 hours after that. Much better to spread the load and look after your health.

BHX86
1st May 2009, 16:39
Just noticed on the EK careers website that Emirates are recruiting for a Vice President UK and Ireland. Does anybody know what has happened to Vic Sheppard, I thought he was the VP UK and Ireland

beamwidth
1st May 2009, 19:44
Dont know about the aforementioned, but this is probably the job the Dermot Mannion left Aer Lingus for. Always have been strong rumours that he never fully left Emirates, and that the EI job was work experience! Any thoughts anyone?

zerozol
17th May 2009, 14:58
hi all, found this today, date: 14 May

"British Airways (http://www.flightglobal.com/landingpage/british%20airways.html) and Emirates (http://www.flightglobal.com/landingpage/emirates.html) will take delivery of an improved version of the Airbus A380 (http://www.flightglobal.com/landingpage/airbus%20a380.html) from 2012 offering a slightly better payload/range performance through a modest increase in maximum take-off weight."

could it mean that against rumours, they don't consider B 747-8i to be an option, but they remain by A380? or? :)

source: British Airways and Emirates will be first for new longer-range A380 (http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2009/05/14/326544/british-airways-and-emirates-will-be-first-for-new-longer-range.html)

z

akerosid
17th May 2009, 15:24
Quote:

"Dont know about the aforementioned, but this is probably the job the Dermot Mannion left Aer Lingus for. Always have been strong rumours that he never fully left Emirates, and that the EI job was work experience! Any thoughts anyone?"

With all due respect to him, I'd have to say that after the complete dog's breakfast he made of EI's DXB route, I'd have to wonder if EK would want him back. Good luck to him anyway, but the way that route was handled made me question whether he learned anything at EK.

lasernigel
10th Jun 2009, 10:40
Like Emirates overall.:ok: But sent wife on hols Monday. Due to arrive at Dubai in Terminal 3 according to her ticket. EK 372 to Bangkok designated as a A380.
Seat booked etc. On checking in at Manchester flight had reverted to a 777 so no seats available where I wanted.
Had printed out new map of terminal 3 to make things easy for her. On arrival in Dubai parked up at terminal 1 and apparently Emirates/Dubai staff not really interested in helping to find her way to Terminal 3.:ugh:
Please Emirates a bit of help for customers, it is your job after all.

OltonPete
2nd Mar 2010, 21:13
flight global are reporting that Beijing will become a new EK A380
destination from 01/08/2010.

The part of the report I which stuck out is the 519 config and not
489 or 487 whatever it is now.

I checked the EK site and seat guru but nothing coming up with 519
config although I didn't look too hard on the EK UK site.

With Manchester rumoured from September is this likely to be a
519 seat aircraft and I assume that this is still a three class config
as the last rumour was that the two class config was on hold.

Pete

Tower Ranger
3rd Mar 2010, 01:51
I think its going to start at the beginning of August as the EK306 around 4am and returning around midnight. The DXB - PEK route is fairly busy with 5 different airlines operating it and the loads of the four that i`ve travelled on have always been very full. Emirates are, as you would expect the most expensive by a long way but why reduce the price if you are getting the loads!

OltonPete
3rd Mar 2010, 18:27
Found the answer on another forum re the 380 configs.

Apparently there are already three 517 seat aircraft operating
to Saudi and LHR amongst other shorter routes. They are in
14/76/427 config with the LD's flown on the longer flights such
as Australia and Toronto.

Three of the next five 380's will be HD's per the same source but no mention of which type is destined for Manchester. I would assume it
will the 517 seat aircraft and the same thread mentions a possible announcement in April.

Heathrow is down for double daily A380 by 1/7/2010.

Pete

B772
25th Mar 2010, 06:27
Metro man. LHR-SYD nonstop operated once by QF B744 as a ferry flight. It appears LHR-PER or LHR-DRW nonstops may become a reality within 3-5 years. History suggests some punters prefer 'long' flights.

TSR2
12th Apr 2010, 19:43
The operational reliability of Emirates seven in service A380's is 90-95% which is not good enough said Tim Clark, Emirates Airlines President.
He also says 'And when we fix snags, we find new ones. I am trying to be kind to Airbus but they have to solve the problems'

Source: Airliner World - May 2010

EuroWings
12th Apr 2010, 21:39
He also says 'And when we fix snags, we find new ones. I am trying to be kind to Airbus but they have to solve the problems'

They are in it for the "long-haul" (pun intended) with the A380. Isn't there another 50 coming? :eek: Problems have to be ironed out pretty quickly.

I just wonder where EK will put all these A380s? ;) Looking forward to seeing it daily at MAN from September.........

redED
8th Jun 2010, 13:44
Yes but didn't they just post a profit of +$900million for 2009 a hell of a lot more than others world wide?

It doesn't justify $11.5billion worth of investment but at least they're moving in the right direction.

Does anyone know if these are replacements thus keeping the fleet size the same or are they increasing the fleet?

akerosid
8th Jun 2010, 13:50
Dubai itself may have been nearly broke a few months ago, but that was because of Dubai World and other investments of the emirate itself. It was bailed out by Abu Dhabi.

EK itself, while it saw a profit drop during the downturn, has swung solidly back to profit this year and expects an even larger profit next year. It can make this investment without recourse to its shareholder (which is just as well, really ...)

JetPhotos.Net Photo » A6-EDF (CN: 007) Emirates Airbus A380-861 by John Fitzpatrick (http://jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=6844721&nseq=0)

While the volume of the order is certainly a surprise (as well as the fact that it did not include an expected order for A333s to replace the ageing 332s), DXB is now a well established hub. DXB handles over 40m ppa and of course, the new airport is equipped to handle three times that amount (let alone the new T4 at DXB).

I think it will have a significant effect on Europe (particularly UK) - Aus/NZ travel, but its effect will be felt in other markets, such as SA, India and SE Asia. The next question is, how will the other "enfants terribles" - QR and EY - react to this? Can we expect more large orders from them?

crewmeal
8th Jun 2010, 14:52
A total of 90 A380's in service, wow!! Where will they fly them to? There will be a lot of airports worldwide that will need to spend money upgrading their facilitits in order to handle these aircraft.

I guess by the time they are in service then most of the B777's will have been replaced. Are EK working towards a true Airbus only fleet? Time will tell.

Good luck to them , I hope they can be crewed, recruitment will have their work cut out for the forseeable future.

OltonPete
13th Aug 2010, 09:57
Emirates W10 Operation Changes/overview as of 13AUG10: A380 to Hong Kong AIRLINE ROUTE (http://airlineroute.net/2010/08/13/ek-w10-update2/#more-23728)

Significant changes here with the ULR's to Houston & LAX doubling
in frequency.

According to one source one Sydney service has been dropped to use the 77L to make this possible.

This is flight EK414 which is fairly new and connects outbound with the UK afternoon departures (was still showing yesterday as bookable).

I assume the more popular routing for UK pax is from the UK evening services connecting with the non-stop 380.

JFK is confirmed as returning to a 380 as well.

Pete

AlphaFoxtrot
29th Oct 2010, 21:07
Hello.

I hope this is in the right section!

I have been assigned a task to research into, and discuss the company strategies/ objectives of a chosen airline (plus more). I have decided to select Emirates or Qatar as my chosen organisation as there is so much to include further down the line - however I cannot find any sort of corporate strategies, company objectives, goals which they are targeting etc, on their website.

There is generally a section on companies websites about their mission statements etc, Virgin Atlantic has a fantastic one for example!

If anybody has any advice on how to gather this sort of information I would hugely appreciate it!

Thanks in advance,

AF :)

Cyrano
30th Oct 2010, 14:06
A little background. (http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2009/11/09/334458/desert-kingdoms-how-the-gulfs-network-carriers-are-riding-out-the.html)

mourgo
31st Oct 2010, 08:37
Just wanted some opinions on Emirates future:

They have gone from a 5 star airline to a 4 star airline.
Their service is crap!
Their seating is crap! 343 on 777.
Customer service is virtually non existant.
Their airfares are not as cheap as they used to be.
Cabin crew and pilots are over worked and fatigued.
The culture is crap!

So can anyone tell me why people still fly with Emirates and if they keep this up
what does the future hold?

pwalhx
31st Oct 2010, 08:56
Haven't flown with them for 2 years as I felt their service had dteriorated. Am about toleave for the airport and will fly with them again today, firstly because I need to get to Dubai and actually the price was fine nd secondly wanted to try the A380 from Manchester.

I will be going on to KUL on the777 so have the chnce to see if they hve improved.

So will give ou my revisd opinion at the end of the week.

Kavs8
31st Oct 2010, 10:09
What im suprised at is that Emirates havent launched a DXB-DUB service! Etihad are making a killing on their AUH-DUB route which now operates 2x daily.

mybrico
31st Oct 2010, 10:15
It’s a low cost subsidised airline for the masses

wanna_be_there
31st Oct 2010, 10:34
What im suprised at is that Emirates havent launched a DXB-DUB service! Etihad are making a killing on their AUH-DUB route which now operates 2x daily

Firstly, EY at DUB is 10 weekly, and EK dont serve DUB yet as the market is quite finate and there are more competative markets for EK.
Yes, there are connections but EY are mopping up what is currently there. With such a huge fleet, if EK wanted to serve DUB, im pretty sure they would be.
If EK came to DUB, it would probably push EY out so I guess its a matter of be careful what you wish for, and how do you want to succeed

h&s
31st Oct 2010, 11:07
It’s a low cost subsidised airline for the masses

well summarized :ok:
To be fair, which airline has never been subsidised in its history?
I still think they have have a good value for money proposition, even more with the A380s, so I am not scared for their future.
The issue may be coming from a "close" neighbour with Turkish, which has the same geographical advantage, and may have facilities for traffic rights if the country integrates the EU. The one between BA/BA, AF/AZ and LH that will be able to merge with TK could be the winner over the middle term and can really damage "stand-alone" emirates

barry lloyd
31st Oct 2010, 11:37
If Emirates are doing so badly, how come they've just launched the A380 on the MAN-DXB route?
Emirates in the UK does well because there are hundreds of thousands of people in the UK who have relatives and friends in Australasia and vice-versa. Who would imagine that a NCL-DXB flight would do so well right through the cabin?
'Service' as a concept disappeared from most airlines long ago. The beancounters saw to that.
With regard to competition, the owners of Emirates and Etihad are cousins. I therefore see little likelihood of serious competition between them.
Most of the EK flights I have been on have been full or almost full. They have cheap fuel at DXB and other points, so how do you define subsidy?

Tower Ranger
31st Oct 2010, 13:51
Ek`s fares are fairly good value from all but one place, thats the UAE. They rely on the fact that they operate the majority of direct flights to Europe, the Far East and Australia to charge over inflated prices from Dubai.
I rarely travel Emirates as it is often almost twice the price of other carriers. As an example its over 100 ponds cheaper to fly Emirates from LHR to BKK via DXB than it is just to fly DXB-BKK.
Some colleagues actually take an extra flight out of Dubai to pick up Emirates flights in places like Doha or Mumbai as this can save thousands of pounds if you are travelling as a family.

Skipness One Echo
31st Oct 2010, 15:31
'Service' as a concept disappeared from most airlines long ago. The beancounters saw to that.

Actually people just stopped paying for it and the beancounters took steps to avoid insolvency.

Google "Ryanair" and a firm called "easyJet". Good service doesn't come cheap in any industry and inr eal terms the all in fare we pay in economy today compares pretty well in comparison to wehat it used to be!

AlphaFoxtrot
31st Oct 2010, 15:53
cyrano - that is absolutly fantastic, thank you so much!! :ok:.

It seems strange that they don't have their mission statements on the website.

Thanks again, hugely appreciate it,

AF :)

Joe Curry
31st Oct 2010, 21:27
One must consider what arrangements EK have on existing services via
BAA airports. It's unbelievable that their Glasgow service is seemingly 'protected' competition-wise from BAA's more successful Scottish Airport in Edinburgh?

Ringwayman
31st Oct 2010, 23:19
There is no consipiracy about who can operate from what airport. EK chose GLA over EDI having looked at both airports. It is not illegal for them to pick that airport and would be illegal if there was an agreement to limit competition. As for Qatar and Etihad, I would suggest that they are monitoring the commercial prospects for commencing EDI but as there doesn't appear to be a case for them to do so at the moment, they are not going to start operating; in any case, i believe that any further UK expansion from them would be from BHX given the larger catchment area and the make-up of the catchment lending itself to the network both airlines operate.

Joe Curry
1st Nov 2010, 11:12
Ringwayman:
Have you followed this thread?

http://www.pprune.org/tech-log/431902-acn-pcn.html

Seems the physics of EDI might settle any conspiracy theories.?
As for catchment, one must remember that EDI has recently overtaken BHX
in terms of annual pax. ?

mybrico
1st Nov 2010, 13:28
They are a successful airline, in part that comes from cheap fuel, soft loans, low / no tax, and abundant airport infrastructure. Profit is in the eye of the beholder who seem to be in Dubai. Fueled by petro dollars. However at least they buy lots of airbus's and keep spotters at Manchester happy. The longer term damage to European aviation is difficult to understand it depends if the next generation of aircraft will encourage more point to point than hub and spoke.

Easy Ryder
2nd Nov 2010, 05:17
Sigh..... EK pay the same price for fuel as any other operator in DXB. They dont get it for free or at discounted rates.

There is very little refining in Dubai so jet fuel is imported. Also Dubai has virtually no oil reserves.

OltonPete
11th May 2011, 17:51
Some reservations systems showing Johannesburg on the A380 from
1st October 2011.

I am not sure if this is due to a new aircraft delivery or redeployment
from another route.

It seems to be making the press now with one quote stating the 489
version not 517.

The third Sydney service also is returning but by 77W.

Profits up 52% as well

FT.com / Companies / Airlines - Emirates profits up by more than half (http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/385585b8-7ae1-11e0-991a-00144feabdc0.html#axzz1M4Fmznjt)

Pete

Seljuk22
12th May 2011, 18:41
JNB operated by a new (EK's 16th) A380 starting from 1st October is confirmed by EK
Emirates to launch Airbus A380 to Johannesburg | Emirates | About Emirates | News (http://www.emirates.com/ae/english/about/news/news_detail.aspx?article=673574&offset=0)

EK will get 6 A380 and 13 B77W in the current financial year (April 2011 - March 2012)
gulfnews : Emirates to aggressively expand fleet and routes (http://gulfnews.com/business/aviation/emirates-to-aggressively-expand-fleet-and-routes-1.806111)

Other highlights:
Starting this summer schedule EK added a 2nd daily flight each to VIE (A345) and CPT (A345).
On 1st May MAN (A332) become trice daily.
From 1st June GVA (daily B772) will be a new destination followed by CPH (daily A332) on 1st August.
HAM (B772) will get a second daily flight from 1st September, SYD (B77W) a third daily flight from 1st October and SIN (B77W) a fouth daily flight from 30th October.
From 3rd January EK will launch daily flights to GIG-EZE with B77W.

A lot of routes will get aircraft upgrades from A332/A343 to A343/B777. Looks like some A332 will leave the fleet later this year or EK will launch some new routes with the A332.

Seljuk22
18th Sep 2011, 12:37
Just a short update of new routes or a/c changes:

October
JNB one of 3 daily flights from B77W to A380
SYD additional daily fight with B77W - 3 daily in total

November
SIN add 5 weekly flights with B77W
FRA add 4 weekly flights with A332
PVG one of 2 daily flights from B77W to A380 (subject to government approval)
NRT increase from 5 weekly to daily B77W
HAM one of 2 daily flights from B773 to B77W
MAD increase from daily A343 to daily B77W
MXP one of 2 daily flights from A343 to B773
DEL one of 4 daily flights from A345 to B77L
NCE increase from daily A332 to daily A343
TUN increase from 4 weekly to 6 weekly (A332)
KRT increase from 4 weekly to 6 weekly (A332)
MRU add 1 weekly flight (A332) - 10 weekly in total
DKR add 1 weekly flight (A332) - 5 wekly in total
new daily flights to LED (6 weekly A343 + 1 weekly A332)
new 4 weekly flights to BGW (A332)

December
FRA add 3 weekly flights (A332) - 3 daily in total (2 x B77W + 1 x A332)
HKG add 5 weekly flights (A332)
VIE add 1 weekly flight (A345) - 2 daily in total (1 x B77W + 1 x A345)
MRU add 1 weekly flight (A332) - 11 weekly in total
TUN add 1 weekly flight (A332) - daily in total
KRT add 1 weekly flight (A332) - daily in total
KUL one of 2 daily flights from B77W to A380
FCO one of 2 daily flights from B77W to A380
LHR one of 5 daily flight from B773 to B77W
PVG one of 2 daily flight from A343 to B77W
FCO one of 2 daily flights from A332 to B77W
MXP one of 2 daily flights from A343 to B773
DUS one of 2 daily flights from A332 to A343
BLR one of 3 daily flights from A332 to A343
HYD 2 of 3 daily flights from A332 to A343

January
MUC one of 2 daily flights from B773 to A380
PRG increase from daily A332 to daily B773
new daily flights GIG-EZE (B77W)
new daily flights DUB (A332)

February
SIN add 2 weekly flights (B77W) - 4 daily in total
HAM one of 2 daily flights from B772 to B77W
CPH increase from daily A332 to daily B772
CMN increase from daily A345 to daily B77W
ACC-ABJ increase from daily A343 to daily A345
NBO one of 2 daily flights from A332 to A345

Suspended route to TIP (daily A345 or A332) should be re-opened soon.

Changes will be in affect during the first days of the month.

A332 (freed up during December and February) could be used for new European routes e.g. to BCN, BRU, ARN; additional flights e.g. to GLA, BHX, NCL or sold to other airlines.

15 A380 (A6-EDP up to A6-EED) due to delivery until end of 2012.
Another 3 A380 due to delivery in Q1/2013.

8 B77W (A6-EGF up to A6-EGM) will be delivered in the coming months.

All information subject to change. Errors and omissions excepted.

OltonPete
18th Sep 2011, 13:26
Seljuk22

Excellent summary and very interesting the number of A332's released.

Glasgow must be due an evening service with constant 90% plus load
factors including August which I am sure was influenced by Ramadan.

One would think the recent Manchester expansion has done for BHX but
there are still rumours of a third flight and certainly August was not as
bad as I expected and certainly fares were not a give-away when I checked
a few months ago.

It is difficult to believe that they were beaten to Brussels and Barcelona
by their local rivals but I am sure it won't be long before that is rectified.

Pete

Paraffin Budgie
19th Sep 2011, 10:29
Somewhere in the back of my mind I seem to remember a mention of Toulouse flights being started, but nothing seems to have come of it.

Seljuk22
19th Sep 2011, 12:59
News from January this year:
EK and EY will each receive permission to add another 11 weekly flights to France. 4 weekly to Paris and 7 weekly to a smaller city.
gulfnews : Emirates, Etihad get France clearance (http://gulfnews.com/business/aviation/emirates-etihad-get-france-clearance-1.753756)

Haven't heard of any new destination(s) so far. Don't know if they can add flights to Mayotte or Reunion based on that agreement, too.

aeulad
19th Sep 2011, 16:53
Lyon and Marseille have to be next in line for EK or EY service? Paris ORY?

Regards

Mike

Seljuk22
21st Sep 2011, 12:06
EK 302/303 DXB-PVG will be 3 weekly A380 and 4 weekly B77W this winter. (No daily A380 as posted earlier)
EK 304/305 DXB-PVG will be icreased from daily A343 to daily B77W eff 1st Dec (as posted earlier).

new eff 1st February:
DXB-Lusaka-Harare 5 weekly A332
More air time for Africa as Emirates starts services to Zambia and Zimbabwe | Emirates | About Emirates | News (http://www.emirates.com/ae/english/about/news/news_detail.aspx?article=717718&offset=0)

A6-EGF (B77W) was delivered yesterday.

HH6702
27th Sep 2011, 14:24
Hi
What do you think the chances are of the newcastle A330 being used on the flights to glasgow with a second flight being added to glasgow using the spare A330 and newcastle's flight being upgraded to the daily B777?

both airports then receive extra seats...

CabinCrewe
27th Sep 2011, 19:04
Less than maximum capacity and a recent 10% drop ex NCL, cant see things expanding there within the next year anyway

Jamesair
27th Sep 2011, 22:04
Emirates will also need to take into account the demand for cargo capacity as well as pax load factors to decide on any extra flights/larger aircraft.

GAXLN
28th Sep 2011, 10:42
Cabincrewe, as it says above, the decline in August was primarily due to the, I guess unavoidable, use of the smaller aircraft which has nearly 70 fewer economy seats on a significant number of flights (i.e. 27% fewer). I predict we will see some growth return in September and given last September seat factor was just over 85% on the route, that will be a good performance. Emirates can still achieve significant growth at Newcastle and grow the total market, they now need to deploy the 777 to achieve this and one day this will happen.

chinapattern
28th Sep 2011, 11:10
Dallas/Fort Worth effective 2nd Feb and Seattle/Tacoma effective 1st Mar. Both flights operated by a 777.

Seljuk22
13th Oct 2011, 18:33
EK will add some frequencies to Lahore, Islamabad and Peshawar. This should be another boost for the UK flights.
Emirates upgrades Pakistan network with additional services to Islamabad, Lahore and Peshawar | Emirates | About Emirates | News (http://www.emirates.com/ae/english/about/news/news_detail.aspx?article=727606&offset=0)

Starting with DFW in early February IAH will be reduced from twice to one daily (or a flight from IAH will be transfered to DFW).

Start date for the A380 to MUC moved forward to 25th November. On the other hand the start date for the A380 to KUL moved back to 1st January.
Emirates (http://www.emirates.com/ae/english/about/news/news_detail.aspx?article=727614&offset=0)

A6-EGG, a B777-300ER, was delivered on 11th October.

Tomorrow EK will receive their 16th A380 and by June 2013 there will be 37 A380 in the fleet.

Exascot
14th Oct 2011, 06:26
Going ATH-DXB-JNB in a couple of weeks. First Class return is over €5,500. As the stopover in DXB is longer than 6 hrs we are entitled to a hotel room. We didn't want to get the next flight but one 4 hours later that would give us a decent night's sleep. They are saying that they will not allow this we will have to stay in the 1st class lounge. We had this in March this year and they allowed it (after some discussion).

We wanted to spend a couple of days in Dubai but because we were splitting the flight it was going to be €1,000 more - just the flight not hotac.

I wrote to head office (snail mail) months ago about both of these points. Have I had a reply? :mad:

Seljuk22
13th Nov 2011, 11:07
Half year net profit down to US$ 225 million
Emirates, the world (http://www.emirates.com/ae/english/about/news/news_detail.aspx?article=737864&offset=0)

EK orders 50 B777-300ER with Option for 20 B777-300ER
In addition to the 50 777-300 ERs announced today, Emirates has 73 Airbus A380s, 70 Airbus A350s, 40 777-300 ERs and six Boeing freighters on order, for a total of 239 wide-body aircraft worth more than US$92 billion (AED 337.6 billion).
Emirates Places Order for 50 Boeing 777-300 ERs with Options for 20 777-300 ERs Valued at US$26 Billion | Emirates | About Emirates | News (http://www.emirates.com/ae/english/about/news/news_detail.aspx?article=739700&offset=0)

Seljuk22
3rd Jan 2012, 18:03
Changes 2012

Most destinations with more than 1 daily flight. Just mentioned the changes. Example: one of three daily flights to KUL upgraded from B773 to A380; the other flights to KUL remain unchanged)

1st January
DXB-KUL daily B773 > A380
DXB-PRG daily A332 > B773
DXB-HAM daily B772 > B77W
DXB-CPH daily A332 > B772

3rd January
new: GIG-EZE daily B77W

9th January
new: DUB daily A332

24th January
LHR daily B77W > A380

1st February
SIN from 19 weekly to 21 weekly (all B77W)
IAH reduce from double daily to daily B77L
new: DFW daily B77L
CMN daily A345 > B77W
ACC-ABJ daily A343 > A345
NBO daily A332 > A343
new: LUN-HRE 5 weekly A332

1st March
new: SEA daily B77W

25th March
LHR daily B77W > A380
CDG daily B773 > B77W
MUC daily A343 > B773
VCE from daily A343 to double daily A343
CDG from 14 weekly to 18 weekly (daily A380 + 11 weekly B77W)
TUN daily A332 > A345
ADD-EBB daily A345 will split to ADD daily A332 + EBB daily A332

1st May
PEK daily A345 > B77W
A345 to ???

1st June
GLA daily B77W (2 class) > B77W (3 class)
MAN daily A332 > B77W
DUS daily A343 > B77W

4th June
new: SGN daily A332 (2 class)

1st July
NRT daily B77W > A380
AMS from daily B77W to double daily B77W (slot request)

1st August
ACC-ABJ daily A345 > B77W
A345 to ???
CPT daily B772/B77W > B77W
BKK daily B773 > B77W
ATH daily A332 > B773

1st September
MAN daily B77W (2 class) > B77W (3 class)

1st October
MEL-AKL daily B77W > A380
DME daily A345 > A380 (rumour)
FRA daily A332 > B77W
HKG daily A332 > B77W
CPH daily B772 > B77W
LCA-MLA daily A332 > B772

28th October
CDG from 18 weekly to 19 weekly (daily A380 + 12 weekly B77W)
LHR daily B773 > A380 (rumour)
LGW daily B772 > B773
BLR daily A343 > B772
SGN daily A332 > B77W (2 class)
LOS daily A345 > B77W
NCE daily A343 > A345
VCE double daily A343 > double daily A345 (planned)

1st December
CMB-SIN daily B773 > B77W (2 class)
TUN daily A345 > B773
LED daily A343 > A345

1st February
DUB daily A332 > ???
NBO daily A343 > ???

1st March
DAR daily A345 > ???

2011 EK received 5 A380 (JNB, MUC, FCO, KUL) and 11 B77W.

All 8 A343 will leave the fleet along with some A332 by the end of 2012/early 2013.

All information subject to change. Errors and omissions excepted.

Joe Curry
3rd Jan 2012, 21:32
One must wonder what effect a Middle East direct service from EDI - under new EDI owners - would have on NCL and GLA services? Remembering that EDI outperforms any competing flights to anywhere from both EK airports.

Skipness One Echo
3rd Jan 2012, 21:49
Remembering that EDI outperforms any competing flights to anywhere from both EK airports.
Really? Spain against Glasgow? *any* Joe are you being selective in your trolling again? Naughty! Any attempt to kick off a GLA vs EDI will get slapped down by the mods. However it's worth reiterating that Emirates are introducing First suites from Glasgow over the summer, which is a.....*cough* first.

EDI has not managed long haul well with Delta managing to fail at both ATL and JFK and even Air Transat throwing the towel in. Is it too much to ask that Scotland's lowland airports attempt to be complementary rather than tribally local?

CabinCrewe
3rd Jan 2012, 22:05
And from other posts it looks as if Berlin was the clanger in that theory, but its not really for this forum is it....?

OntimeexceptACARS
10th Jan 2012, 10:29
With effect 1 June, A340-300 evening flight, EK25/6. Nice one!

OntimeexceptACARS
22nd Jan 2012, 19:25
Not exactly news, but in the gusty conditions this weekend, The Glasgow flight encounters a little windshear. Complete with Glaswegian commentary. Must say that it demonstrates the power of those GE's. :ooh:

Emirates B777-300ER go-around at Glasgow Airport - YouTube

OTEA

OltonPete
25th Jan 2012, 15:34
Spain is their latest target with Barcelona to be added in July and a second daily Madrid but no softly softly approach with the A332 - straight to 777's. Taken from another site but already in GDS

"EK185 DXB 0655 BCN 1200 77W Daily (From JUL03)
EK185 BCN 1640 DXB 0100 77W Daily

EK141 DXB 0750 MAD 1345 77W Daily (already existing)
EK142 MAD 1525 DXB 0040 77W Daily (already existing)

EK143 DXB 1425 MAD 2020 77W Daily (From JUL01)
EK144 MAD 2210 DXB 0715 77W Daily"

Rumour has it Brussels and Stockholm are possibly next.

There are about 5-8 A332's becoming free in the next nine months and with one already reported as parked up I wonder if new homes have been found
for these?

Pete

Oldtimer1
25th Jan 2012, 16:30
Suprised it took them this long to go to Barcelona, as its such a huge market. No suprise their going straight to the 77W.

Add this this its almost certainly the city hit least worse by the Spanish property boom collapse and Spains shrinking economy.

nigel osborne
25th Jan 2012, 16:38
Peter,

Yes A330s, A6-EAB/C/L , already been withdrawn from EK services or about to be.

Nigel

OntimeexceptACARS
27th Jan 2012, 00:28
The recently announced second daily A343 from 1 June will be upgraded to a B77W from 1 Jan 2013. Go Glasgow!

canberra97
27th Jan 2012, 03:03
I am so surprised that Emirates have not announced or are even considering a Stansted flight, this would have EK operating from all of the major London airports covering the noth, south and west with STN having a large catchment area with not only north and east London but also Cambridgeshire and east Anglia.

There was talk a few years ago about EK operating an economy only flight into STN but surely with all this recent expansion especially ex UK and with all these aircraft on order surely a STN flight must be in the pipeline.

Plus the Emirates Stadium is just down the M11, well not far off anyway :-)

NorthernCounties
27th Jan 2012, 08:08
Just booked myself on board EK40 (BHX - DXB) in June. Just wondering whether the 773 is 2 class or 3 class on this flight?

Cheers

NC

Betablockeruk
27th Jan 2012, 08:21
Looks like only BHX and NCL will have 2 class configs, whereas GLA, MAN, LHR and LGW all 3 class.

NorthernCounties
27th Jan 2012, 08:31
Cheers for that Betablockeruk! :)

Jonnyf
27th Jan 2012, 09:55
I think eventually BHX will get first class service, otherwise why have emirates built a 'First' and business class lounge at BHX.

Sam Chipperfield
27th Jan 2012, 10:57
Rumour Has It Emirates Will Use 777 From 1st Sepmtember 2012, Any Truth In That?

pamann
27th Jan 2012, 11:03
With reference to STN; I would imagine it is the next logical step for EK expansion in the UK.

Skipness One Echo
27th Jan 2012, 11:19
With reference to STN; I would imagine it is the next logical step for EK expansion in the UK.

That would mean 5 A380s to LHR, 3 B77Ws at LGW and a B777 to STN? I suspect London is well served over LGW and STN, it's not as if they're leaking market share to anyone by not being there.

pwalhx
27th Jan 2012, 12:08
I am with SOE here, there is no logic in expanding to Stansted at all. LHR/LGW adequately covers the region and if they were to expand I think it is more likely at these exisiting airports and their regional departures.

RoyHudd
27th Jan 2012, 15:19
Interesting Go-around at Glasgow by the Emirates 777. The crew forgot to raise the gear for quite a while. Perhaps they were over-excited by the fierce Scottish weather!

:D

OltonPete
27th Jan 2012, 16:21
NorthernCounties

If you are flying from BHX in June you are far from guaranteed the two-class
high-density 77W.

June is the low season and BHX sees capacity cuts with the 354/360/364
three class versions and occasionally even 772's.

In fact end of January through to the end of April is usually a good time for
EK at BHX but only today another three class turned up on EK39.

OntimeexceptACARS

The upgrade is from the A345 according to this but GDS shows the A343 in
the system in November. Is this a typo or just to do with the A343's leaving the fleet and the A345 taking over for a short period?

Emirates Jan 2013 Operation Changes to Glasgow, Istanbul & Venice | Airline Route (http://airlineroute.net/2012/01/26/ek-glavceist-jan13/)

Pete

NorthernCounties
27th Jan 2012, 16:27
Cheers OltonPete, the reason I asked was to checkout where I should aim to get a seat, don't want to get stuck in an awful location for 7 hours! I guess I shall have to wait and find out! Looking forward to flying with them on any aircraft though! :ok:

PPRuNeUser0176
30th Jan 2012, 11:12
Anyone know anything further about the Dublin route? Some people on the Dublin thread saying its going to 777 from 1st June, some 1st July. Just wondering if anyone knows anything definite? Its also showing A340 on the online booking interface for some flights around November!

Confirmed a B773ER from 1 July.