PDA

View Full Version : Log book confusion

JamesBG
2nd Apr 2006, 07:25
Hi,
Me and my friend both have PPLs, we went flying in a PA-28 and he clocked the P1 hours and so I wrote the hours in as P2 and put him down as captain. I recently looked at the front of my log book and found this information:

P2 = Second pilot exercising the privileges of his licence as a required member of the operating crew.

Am I a 'Required' member of the operating crew for a PA-28? as a PA-28 can be flown by one pilot.

also the book says:
Flying time as 'second pilot' is entered under 'P2' and will in all cases be the precise period as determined by the pilot-in-command of the aircraft during which the holder acted during the course of the flight in the capacity shown.

well i clocked 1.1 hours and so did my friend?!

Should I just have recorded the flight as passenger hours? or something else ?

Thanks, JamesBG

BEagle
2nd Apr 2006, 07:30
"Am I a 'Required' member of the operating crew for a PA-28?"

NO - the P2 term applies only to those aircraft which must be flown with a 2-pilot crew as required by their certification.

"well i clocked 1.1 hours and so did my friend?!

Should I just have recorded the flight as passenger hours? or something else ?"

You were a passenger and cannot log any of the time of that particular flight as flight crew. If you wish to record it as passenger flying, use the 'remarks' or 'other flying' columns.

FlyingForFun
2nd Apr 2006, 09:03
If you wish to record it as passenger flying, use the 'remarks' or 'other flying' columnsI agree with BEagle, you can not log this time.

However, LASORS says that if you want to record it, you should list your "operating capacity" as "SNY" - supernumary - and then record the details of the flights in the Remarks column.

FFF
----------------

JamesBG
3rd Apr 2006, 07:09
Thanks guys, i'll get out the tip-ex :)

Ultranomad
3rd Apr 2006, 19:01
This may not apply in this particular case, but in fact there is an important exception to this rule.
JAR-FCL 1.080(c)(3): "A cruise relief co-pilot pilot may log all flight time as co-pilot when occupying a pilot’s seat."

BEagle
3rd Apr 2006, 19:31
Applicable only to mutli-pilot aircraft operated under an AOC which includes cruise relief co-pilot operation.

Irrelevant to SEP/MEP flying.

Ultranomad
3rd Apr 2006, 20:37
BEagle, thanks... I always assumed that a cruise relief provision might also apply to single-pilot planes on flights of very long duration. I stand corrected.

BEagle
3rd Apr 2006, 21:14
That would be P1 (shared).....