PDA

View Full Version : FAA LICENCE IN THE UK !?!?!

Jonny2422
20th Mar 2006, 03:30
Hello, I obtained my FAA PPL last autumn and I want to go flying in the UK. Ive been my nearest flight school and they think i need to do a conversion. Ive looked at LASORS and the ANO s26 and i cant get a clear answer out of it. HELP PLEASE !

Founder
22nd Mar 2006, 20:55
You can use your FAA license as long as you flyg aircraft that are US-Registered... But you are not allowed to fly aircraft with a UK register or any other european registered aircraft...

Best Regards
Tim

172driver
22nd Mar 2006, 21:28
You can use your FAA license as long as you flyg aircraft that are US-Registered... But you are not allowed to fly aircraft with a UK register or any other european registered aircraft...
Best Regards
Tim

Sorry Founder Tim - you got it completley wrong.

Here are the facts:

You CAN fly any G-reg but are limited to day VFR within the UK ( the UK being the only country in Europe to recognise the FAA ticket w/o any further paperwork).

You CAN fly any European reg, provided you have a 'Certificate of Recognition' (name varies from country to country) from the country of register. These are national certificates that vary in validity (and privileges) from about 8 months (Spain) to indefinite (Austria).

And, of course, you can fly any N-reg to your hearts' delight anywhere on the planet.

So, Jonny, go ahead and enjoy your flying :ok:

Founder
22nd Mar 2006, 21:36
Sorry Founder Tim - you got it completley wrong.
Here are the facts:
You CAN fly any G-reg but are limited to day VFR within the UK ( the UK being the only country in Europe to recognise the FAA ticket w/o any further paperwork).
You CAN fly any European reg, provided you have a 'Certificate of Recognition' (name varies from country to country) from the country of register. These are national certificates that vary in validity (and privileges) from about 8 months (Spain) to indefinite (Austria).
And, of course, you can fly any N-reg to your hearts' delight anywhere on the planet.
So, Jonny, go ahead and enjoy your flying :ok:

Ah didn't know about those rules in the UK, but in Sweden you are not allowed to fly a Swedish registered aircraft without a JAA license, I think it's the same with the rest of the scandinavian countries... I assumed that those rules were standard JAA rules but as in so many other cases, many JAA rules doesn't apply to the UK...

Best Regards
Tim

172driver
22nd Mar 2006, 21:46
Tim, that's got nothing to do with the CAA (UK). I'm pretty sure if you called your CAA (whatever name they have) and enquired you'd get an answer along the lines of my post.

Now, something to understand is, that these people don't necessarily volunteer this info! They've got to protect their home market (flying schools), so you may have to dig hard and deep :E

Founder
22nd Mar 2006, 21:53
Tim, that's got nothing to do with the CAA (UK). I'm pretty sure if you called your CAA (whatever name they have) and enquired you'd get an answer along the lines of my post.
Now, something to understand is, that these people don't necessarily volunteer this info! They've got to protect their home market (flying schools), so you may have to dig hard and deep :E

In Sweden there is no other license or rules other than JAR anymore, the old rules were all made obsolete when a complete transition was made to JAR in the year 2000. The previous rules BCL which were the ones regulating all Swedish aviation were in other words scrapped... There are still some "modifications" made to the JAR in Sweden but they are very few. All training and all licensing is made with JAR...

/Tim

dublinpilot
23rd Mar 2006, 10:13

No doubt 2 Donkeys will be along shortly to remind you that there is no "Day" restriction. It's simply restricted to VFR.

There is also no "within the UK" restriction. The CAA validates automatically (without paperwork) an FAA licence for flights in a G registered aircraft worldwide, not just the UK.

Also the UK is not the only country that recognises the FAA licence without any further paperwork. The Irish Aviation Authority also recognised the FAA licence without any paperwork, but in this case, there is a Day restriction, and there is a "Republic of Ireland only" geographic restriction.

dp

2Donkeys
23rd Mar 2006, 10:18
No doubt 2 Donkeys will be along shortly to remind you that there is no "Day" restriction. It's simply restricted to VFR.

You're doing my job for me!

There is actually no VFR-only restriction either. The holder of an ICAO IR (of which the FAA's IR is an example) is entitled to fly under IFR outside controlled airspace in the UK in a G-reg (regardless of weather conditions), without further ado.

This is quite separate from being able to apply for an IMC rating.

2D

dublinpilot
23rd Mar 2006, 11:15
You're doing my job for me!

You say it often enough, it starts to sink in ;)

There is actually no VFR-only restriction either.

You'll need to repeat this one a few times, then it will sink in too ;)

dp

Henry Hallam
23rd Mar 2006, 22:46
The reference for this that you can quote is in CAP 393 Air Navigation Order, get the latest version from the CAA website at http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP393.PDF

The bit to look at is Section 1 / Part 4 / Paragraph 26.4.a:
"For the purposes of this Part of this Order:
(a) subject to sub-paragraph (b), a licence granted either under the law of a
Contracting State other than the United Kingdom but which is not a JAA licence
or a licence granted under the law of a relevant overseas territory, purporting in
either case to authorise the holder to act as a member of the flight crew of an
aircraft, not being a licence purporting to authorise him to act as a student pilot
only, shall, unless the CAA gives a direction to the contrary, be deemed to be a
licence rendered valid under this Order but does not entitle the holder:
(i) to act as a member of the flight crew of any aircraft flying for the purpose
of public transport or aerial work or on any flight in respect of which he
receives remuneration for his services as a member of the flight crew; or
(ii) in the case of a pilot's licence, to act as pilot of any aircraft flying in
controlled airspace in circumstances requiring compliance with the
Instrument Flight Rules or to give any instruction in flying;"

Now... this is all very well but what about the class ratings, how do we find out which aircraft those of us with FAA PPLs can legally fly? Is it defined by the FAA's Single Engine Land class, or by the JAA's Single Engine Piston? What about aircraft only certified in the UK? What about microlights which would be SEL in the US but require a microlight rating in the UK?

Any answers?

2Donkeys
24th Mar 2006, 06:24
To the extent that the licence is rendered valid, the FAA certificate holder can fly any aircraft which he is entitled to fly on his FAA ticket. The fact that a JAA licence holder would have different class-rating restrictions is not relevant.

2D

Lower the Nose!
24th Mar 2006, 12:22
how do we find out which aircraft those of us with FAA PPLs can legally fly? Is it defined by the FAA's Single Engine Land class, or by the JAA's Single Engine Piston? What about aircraft only certified in the UK? What about microlights which would be SEL in the US but require a microlight rating in the UK?

Any answers?

On the microlight question, I was told over the phone by the CAA licensing division a couple of days ago that nobody had ever asked this question before, and I should put it in writing to get a ruling. I have now done so and await the CAA's verdict.

Julian
24th Mar 2006, 13:10
2D,

Would they not still have to undertake differences training for a microlight before being cut lose?

Julian.

2Donkeys
24th Mar 2006, 13:17
An FAA PPL SEL does not give the right to fly Microlights, so far as I am aware... Differences training is not relevant, and would not help since it applies only to JAA licences.

2D

Lower the Nose!
24th Mar 2006, 14:25
An FAA PPL SEL does not give the right to fly Microlights, so far as I am aware... Differences training is not relevant, and would not help since it applies only to JAA licences.
2D

Why wouldn't it? My argument is based on the following from Section A7 of LASORS:

A licence issued by any other ICAO Contracting State
(including a JAA State that has not yet been
recommended for mutual recognition) is also deemed
to be valid under the ANO for the purposes of flying a
UK registered aircraft, providing that the licence and
medical are valid in accordance with the rules/laws of
the issuing State, and the CAA does not in the
particular case give direction to the contrary.

In the US the FAA PPL undoubtedly confers the right to fly microlights. The implication of the above is that this right would also be recognised for the purposes of flying microlights in the UK, if you accept that microlights count under the definition of aircraft. Unless of course the CAA deems otherwise, and the loophole in the regs is clearly available if they choose to use it.

2Donkeys
24th Mar 2006, 14:39
It was my understanding that an FAA SEL-holder was not entitled without additional training to jump into a weight-shift microlight.

Is that not the case?

Henry Hallam
24th Mar 2006, 14:53
LtN, please keep us informed! In my personal case I want to fly a 3-axis microlight, not weight-shift, but would be interested to hear what they have to say for either situation.

Lower the Nose!
24th Mar 2006, 14:57
I am pretty sure that there are no licensing requirements whatsoever to fly single seater, flexwing ultralights in the US (and there are plenty of people over here crazy enough to try it without training).

However I had fixed wing microlights in mind, which in the US are being promoted as sport planes: Jabirus, Ikarus C42 and the like. By all accounts these are comparable to regular single engine piston stuff in performance and handling, which is why the FAA private certificate is considered good enough for them. You would want differences training of course, but then so would you if transitioning from a Cessna to a Piper. I am hopeful common sense will prevail in the halls of the CAA....

2Donkeys
24th Mar 2006, 16:02
Careful with the use of the term "differences training". It has a specific meaning in the context of JAA licences which is not what you intend here.

Lower the Nose!
24th Mar 2006, 16:22
Agreed, and my fear is the CAA could use the requirement for differences training to specify microlights as being excluded from the provision recognising FAA licences. They might argue they can require differences training to be logged against a JAR licence but cannot do so with a foreign licence. Ultimately this comes down almost to a philosophical point: is the CAA inclined to permit something which should not obviously be banned, or will they ban something because it would be bureaucratically difficult to implement?

Whopity
24th Mar 2006, 17:42
A microlight is a single engine aeroplane so you can fly it. You don't need a ruling from the CAA! Differences training for weight shift is advisory not mandatory.

Lower the Nose!
24th Mar 2006, 17:46
Common sense suggests it should be legal. But it is undoubtedly a grey area, which is why the CAA asked me to put the question in writing.

blue up
25th Mar 2006, 07:25
Hmmmmmm.
I've got one of those cheapo FAA licences on thin cardboard. It says that I can exercise the priviledges etc etc based on a British licence. My PPL has lapsed by 9 years but I have (and use) a UK ATPL. I've finished building a homebuilt and need to revalidate some sort of licence to fly it. Will the FAA licence do and what are the requirements to get it revalidated? Would be great to use the FAA one if it also includes microlights.

Any thoughts?

Rob Thomas in Cardiff west.
G-BMMF (Shares available but I still need a runway!!)
tessa dot thomas at tesco dot net

B200Drvr
25th Mar 2006, 07:46
Blue Up,
Does your British PPL expire, or is it replaced by the higher licence? In your case an ATPL. If your British licence has the same number on it as quoted on the back of your FAA certificate, and you have completed a bi annual flight check with a FAA instructor, then your FAA certificate is valid. However if your British licence number has changed for whatever reason and does not correspond to what is written on the back of your FAA ticket, or the licence has expired then your FAA certificate is no longer valid.
pm me if you need further info

blue up
25th Mar 2006, 08:07
Hmmmm.

FAA ppl issue number is the same as my lapsed CAA ppl. The JAA atpl is a different number altogether.

Having not driven anything under 100 tons for 9 years, I don't know what constitutes a biennial. Does a sim check/line check by a 757/767 rated instructor count? My licence shows 6-monthly cert of test for instrument rating and aircraft rating on 757/767. Engine fail, visual circuit etc etc.
If this was enough to revalidate an FAA licence.....well.....

Henry Hallam
25th Mar 2006, 08:13
I'm afraid you're out of luck, blue: Your FAA certificate is invalid because your CAA PPL has lapsed. Even if it had not lapsed, you would still have to undertake an FAA biennial review (line checks don't count) though this isn't really a big deal.

I think you will have to get a new JAA PPL, NPPL, or possibly FAA PPL. This will involve exams and a little training with an instructor... other can tell you exactly how many hours you will need. I am sure that the majority of the required hours can be carried forward from flying the heavy tin.

blue up
25th Mar 2006, 08:18
It sounds like the FAA licence is the best option to try for. Thanks, guys.
I'll have another word with an instructor next go in the sim.

Too cold to fly open cockpit timber, anyhow.:(

B200Drvr
25th Mar 2006, 11:56
BlueUp
Next time you are in the US, just go to the FSDO, they will issue you a new FAA Private based on your JAR ATPL. with that number on it.

englishal
25th Mar 2006, 14:54
One could almost suggest that time gained in Microlights in the UK (or elsewhere) could possibly count towards most of the aeronautical experience requirements required for the issue of an FAA PPL....Now there is a thought, it would seem to be a rather cheap way of obtaining a licence to fly planes (other than microlights) .....in both the FAA and JAA lands......hmmmmm;)

Whopity
25th Mar 2006, 15:32
Lower the Nose!

If you had spoken to the right person they would have told you over the phone! Nothing grey about it at all.

Lower the Nose!
25th Mar 2006, 16:42
Whopity

Maybe you know what you're talking about, maybe not. Who can tell on these boards? That's why I've asked the CAA.

Henry Hallam
25th Mar 2006, 17:37
It will be nice to have an official answer. Fingers crossed they don't rule against us when previously we could have interpreted the existing laws in our favour!

172driver
26th Mar 2006, 21:33
There is also no "within the UK" restriction. The CAA validates automatically (without paperwork) an FAA licence for flights in a G registered aircraft worldwide, not just the UK.
Also the UK is not the only country that recognises the FAA licence without any further paperwork. The Irish Aviation Authority also recognised the FAA licence without any paperwork, but in this case, there is a Day restriction, and there is a "Republic of Ireland only" geographic restriction.
dp

Interesting. Where did you get that from ? I got what I posted from the CAA after calling them, admittedly a while back. They were very clear about UK and Day-VFR only. If this has changed, then I stand corrected. However, it might be worth re-checking with the chaps at LGW.

PS: I am/was aware of the Irish situation but forgot to include in my post.

2Donkeys
27th Mar 2006, 06:15
172Driver.

The information comes from no less than the ANO, where it is written in black and white [Article 26(4)].

2D

172driver
27th Mar 2006, 07:04
172Driver.
The information comes from no less than the ANO, where it is written in black and white [Article 26(4)].
2D

2D

Sure - but someone interprets the ANO. I might just give the CAA another call on occasion.

3 Point
27th Mar 2006, 07:07
Hey Blue Up,

A licence is a licence! If you had a UK PPL 9 years ago it is probably valid for your lifetime; read the notes in the licence. In any case if you have subsequently trained and qualified for a JAR CPL and ATPL well done, all you now need to do is to renew (note that renew and revalidate have different and very specific meanings under JAR) the Single Engin Piston Class rating on your ATPL (this rating should have been brought forward from the PPL, if it wasn't get on to the cAA and get them do do it). This will require that you pass a skill test with a JAR examiner (if you havent flown anything under 100 tones for years you may need some training before you are ready for the test but that's up to you to decide). You may be able to find a dual qualified FAA/JAA examiner who can do your skill test which will also count as the FAA biennial however, it sounds like the FAA licence is issued on the back of your CPL, if this has the same number as the current ATPL you are fine, if not visit an FSDO with your JAR ATPL and get the new FAA licence issued as B200Dvr says. If the JAR ATPL is not UK issued your UK PPL still exists and can have its SEP class rating renewed in the same way.

In the long term (and I assume here that you live in the UK) you will be much better to get the SEP raing on your JAR ATPL renewed; once it is valid you will need simply to fly 12 hours on an SEP in the second 12 months of the two year period of validity, your LPC on whatever it is over 100 tons you fly will count in place of the required dual flight and the TRE who signs for your LPC can also revalidate the SEP class rating (although many of them are nervous about doing this because they dont know the rules well enough). Take a look in LASORS which is available on the CAA website (don't know the URL but Google will find it) and you can find all the rules in there.

Happy landings

3 Point

2Donkeys
27th Mar 2006, 08:22
Sure - but someone interprets the ANO.

Not sure what you are implying by that.

The rules could not possibly be clearer. Read them for yourself. There is no day-only restriction, no matter how many people perpetuate the myth :)

172driver
27th Mar 2006, 08:28
Not sure what you are implying by that.
The rules could not possibly be clearer. Read them for yourself. There is no day-only restriction, no matter how many people perpetuate the myth :)

Well, 2D, in my case the 'myth' was perpetuated by non other than the CAA. Guess it's time for a call.....

david viewing
27th Mar 2006, 12:27
Dublinpilot mentions the IAA accepting FAA licences. But weren't the IAA kicking off about FAA medicals? I've read (somewhere) that they insist on a JAA medical for a FAA licence to be valid in Ireland.

englishal
27th Mar 2006, 13:18
Well, 2D, in my case the 'myth' was perpetuated by non other than the CAA. Guess it's time for a call.....
I wrote to the CAA some years ago to clarify the point, and indeed they said that there was no "day VFR" restriction. They kindly incuded the relavent points of the ANO. They also said I could use my FAA ratings in a G reg aeroplane (e.g. ME rating) and that the IR could be used outside CAS without formality. While only valid outside CAS, it does remove the insight of the surface restriction currently imposed on JAA PPL holders. As it is, they also gave me an IMC rating to attach to my JAA PPL without sitting any exams, and without taking a flight test (for a fee).

I also wrote to the French authorities and asked if I could fly a G reg aeroplane on my FAA ticket into French airspace. They said that as long as the CAA allowed me to fly the G reg, then they would as well.

dublinpilot
27th Mar 2006, 13:41
David,

The IAA have a problem with FAA Class 3 medicals. In their view they are sub ICAO. They are quite happy for an FAA licenced pilot with a Class 1 or 2 FAA medical to fly day, VFR, over the state. (I can't remember if it covered all aircraft registration, or just EI)

They issued an AIC explaining all about it.

For some reason I can't seem to get into the EADs site at the moment to give you the link to the AIC.

I posted the link previously on Pprune, but the search facility doesn't seem to be working at the moment :*

dp

172driver
27th Mar 2006, 13:50
englishal,

Very interesting indeed. As you have it in writing, guess you're right then. The info I gained came from a phone call to the CAA, also some years back now.

englishal
27th Mar 2006, 13:59
It is always best to get it in writing, as often the story changes. One of my friends had a chat with a Simon Someone(?) from SRG at a training show, and he stated that the FAA IR will give you the "same privileges as the IMC rating in a G reg aeroplane". Indeed the CAA website used to have a thing on it stating this, yet this is not quite the case (note: bit about CAS).......Give them their due, they always respond, even if the first line is "sorry for the delay in getting back to you" :)

IO540
27th Mar 2006, 18:51
I wonder how the IAA are going to check if a pilot transiting their airspace has a Class 3 medical...

Has the FAA filed a difference with ICAO, stating their Class 3 is sub-ICAO? If so, can anyone find a reference? If not, what exact reasons does the IAA give for this - have they filed a difference with ICAO?

Justiciar
27th Mar 2006, 18:52
Day-VFR only
A bit of an oximoron really:E
Because, under the Rules of the Air, rule 22:
In the United Kingdom an aircraft flying at night:
(a) outside a control zone shall be flown in accordance with the Instrument Flight
Rules; or
(b) in a control zone shall be flown in accordance with the Instrument Flight Rules
unless it is flying on a special VFR flight.
So, if it is VFR it is by definition daytime only unless under SVFR in a control zone.

Under Rule 26(4) ANO you cannot fly on a foreign licence under IFR other than in uncontrolled airspace. This would carry across when flying G reg abroad.

Rule 26(4) of the ANO refers to licences and not to ratings and makes it clear that the validation is not in respect of paid or public transport work, ie private only. This suggests that an FAA IR would not confer the right to fly IFR in a G reg aircraft in the UK in controlled airspace and accordingly IR priviliges would not attach to the FAA licence.

the FAA IR will give you the "same privileges as the IMC rating in a G reg aeroplane

Doesn't it entitle you to the issue of an IMCR not simply confer the privileges of one. Therefore to excercise the privileges you have to have a JAA PPL

Whopity
28th Mar 2006, 14:51
Article 26

(4) For the purposes of this Part of this Order:

(a) subject to sub-paragraph (b), a licence granted either under the law of a Contracting State other than the United Kingdom but which is not a JAA licence or a licence granted under the law of a relevant overseas territory, purporting in either case to authorise the holder to act as a member of the flight crew of an aircraft, not being a licence purporting to authorise him to act as a student pilot only, shall, unless the CAA gives a direction to the contrary, be deemed to be a licence rendered valid under this Order but does not entitle the holder:

(i) to act as a member of the flight crew of any aircraft flying for the purpose of public transport or aerial work or on any flight in respect of which he receives remuneration for his services as a member of the flight crew; or

(ii) in the case of a pilot's licence, to act as pilot of any aircraft flying in
controlled airspace in circumstances requiring compliance with the
Instrument Flight Rules or to give any instruction in flying;

(b) a JAA licence shall, unless the CAA gives a direction to the contrary, be deemed to be a licence rendered valid under this Order.

So where does the DAY VFR come from? At night you can fly outside CAS IFR, and in a Control Zone SVFR. All possible, achieveable and quite legal.

IO540
28th Mar 2006, 15:38
Justiciar is right about the FAA IR. If you have an FAA IR then you can apply to the CAA for an IMCR, but you have to apply, with a cheque, and get it. Without that, you get IFR privileges only OCAS.

You of course also need a UK/JAA PPL (and a CAA medical...) to attach the IMCR to, so this is an option which will be of limited use to pilots who also happen to have a current FAA IR. You need a valid UK/JAA PPL, CAA medical, FAA PPL, FAA medical, valid FAA IR... I suppose it may be useful to someone flying both G and N (but having limited access to an N) and wanting the maximum IFR privileges in both.

Regards the old chestnut of being able to fly at night in the UK on an FAA PPL (which includes night privileges, but does not give IFR privileges), this has never been settled.

However, I recall a post here by 2Donkeys (who I believe makes no secret of his identity but it's not for me to say) about 6 months ago, reporting a conversation with an FAA lawyer in which he was advised that what matters is the substance rather than the wording (or something like that) and that the FAA considers an FAA PPL valid for flying at night even if night flight in that particular airspace is under IFR. Hope I remembered that correctly!

The other thing about UK's "night=IFR" is that a whole lot of stuff goes on at night which would be illegal under IFR. I am thinking of a lot of GA training, equipment carried, certain airframes not certified for IFR, etc ;) It's as well that ATC is not in the business of verifying that some G-reg belonging to a flying school is FM Immune if turning up during a night (VMC) exercise... The whole edifice doesn't really stand up as "IFR".

2Donkeys
28th Mar 2006, 17:10
For an FAA-licensed pilot (ie no other licences) flying an N-reg aircraft in UK airspace, the word of the FARs is that he shall not fly under IFR without an instrument rating [61.3(e)].

To the extent that most night flying in the UK takes place under IFR (leaving aside SVFR in control zones), the strictest interpretation of the FARs prevents such a pilot from flying at night unless he holds an instrument rating.

Various people have suggested to me (including a colleague who habitually represents the FAA in enforcement cases) that such a strict interpretation is inappropriate in cases such as the UK where the IFR dimension comes about through (to US eyes) the rather odd situation with regards night flight in the UK.

However, if advice is to be offered, the law says that night flight by such a pilot is not permitted. Any other view amounts to taking a chance on the nature of any FAA enforcement action (theoretical though that risk may be)

Cathar
29th Mar 2006, 18:24
Has the FAA filed a difference with ICAO, stating their Class 3 is sub-ICAO? If so, can anyone find a reference?

Paragraph 2.3.1.6 of Annex 1 to the Chicago Convention requires that private pilots should hold a Class 2 medical certificate. The US has filed a difference to this standard which states that "Private pilots shall meet the requirements of an FAA Third Class Medical Certificate, which does not fully comply with the ICAO Class 2 Medical Certificate." This can be found in the Supplement to Annex 1.

IO540
29th Mar 2006, 19:53
Interesting - thank you C.

I do wonder why this doesn't bother anybody in the whole wide world - except the Irish.

dublinpilot
29th Mar 2006, 20:33
I don't believe it bothered the Irish either, until some CFI pointed it out to them in some sort of complaint :hmm: At least that's the rumour.

Julian
30th Mar 2006, 07:45
Have to say I did my Class II last week and the exmainer basically made sure I was breathing!

I did come away wondering what I had parted with £100 for.

The JAA PPL was more stringent I felt.

Julian.

englishal
30th Mar 2006, 08:31
You were ripped off mate ;) I got my JAA class 2 and FAA class 2 in early march, the AME charged me £50 for the JAA medical and a nominal £10 for the FAA class 2..........

Even the JAA is not that stringent, blood pressure, piss-in-a-pot, listen to the lungs and ticker, prod my stomach - and as I'm highly ticklish I couldn't help but start laughing, a test of the reflexes, some eyesight stuff and that was it. Then 30 minutes trying to work out how to use the CAA's new online medical entry thing....

BTW, this is in Christchurch, 6 miles from Bournemouth International, and a very good value service.

IO540
30th Mar 2006, 09:07
The JAA Class 2, FAA Class 2 and FAA Class 3 are all very similar. I have a Class 2 in both. The latter ones might, for a person of certain age ranges, not have the ECG but as any "medical" person will tell you, the predictive value of an ECG (regarding getting a heart attack) is barely significant.

The real question to ask here is how come the FAA, with an order of magnitude more GA pilots under it than the rest of the known universe combined, doesn't have a problem with it.... especially considering that the Americans are streets ahead of even the Brits when it comes to obesity.

blue up
30th Mar 2006, 15:08
Do you remember the good old days when you just ran to your kite, climbed in and flew away? Loads of noise and lots of low level fun. No CAA to warry about.......Ahhhhhhhhhhhh!

Of course, the Germans were shooting back.

Anyhow. PPL renewal is now in hand with "CAA-approved" colleague on a Cirrus using the CAA PPL. (K.I.S.S. principle) All I need now is a PFA inspector and a runway in South Wales.

Rob (Britannia 089a/b tomorrow morning, if you hear me):ok:

englishal
30th Mar 2006, 15:18
The JAA Class 2, FAA Class 2 and FAA Class 3 are all very similar. I have a Class 2 in both. The latter ones might, for a person of certain age ranges, not have the ECG but as any "medical" person will tell you, the predictive value of an ECG (regarding getting a heart attack) is barely significant
According to the AME at my last medical (early march) I would never require an ECG for the class 2 FAA medical. Whether or not this is because I already had one at my JAA initial or whether the class 2 doesn't require one I don't know.

My mates old man had an ECG on a Saturday, and dropped dead on Sunday due to a massive heart attack. The ECG was normal.

CaptainSandL
7th Apr 2006, 16:13
Are there any circumstances in which a JAA licence holder can fly an N reg aircraft? I heard something about if it was not in the US and/or on a special flight permit.