PDA

View Full Version : Renewing FIC Rating

Loony_Pilot
15th Mar 2005, 18:26
Hi,

My FI rating lapsed (in feb) while I was on a type rating course and I'd like to get it back again so I can keep doing some instructing in my spare time.

I believe that I have to do a flight test (which I can sort easily) and a seminar?
But where can I find out where and when seminars etc are being held?

Cheers

LP

PA28pilot
15th Mar 2005, 19:42
Hi Loony_Pilot

I believe there are three providers of flying instructor seminars. I haven't used any of them, so in alphabetical order:

AOPA : AOPA website (http://www.aopa.co.uk/newsfromaopa/fiseminsar.html)
Examiner Training Agency : ETA website (http://www.flightexaminers.com/seminars1.htm)
On-Track Aviation : On-Track website (http://www.ontrackaviation.com/)

Hope this helps!

Regards,
PA28pilot

airpilot
15th Mar 2005, 21:22
Mines coming up for renewal soon.I'm just gonna do a flight test and be done with it. If your rating has already lasped then a flight test will suffice I believe. If it has not lasped then you can renew by going to a seminar and have a certain amount of instruction.

BEagle
16th Mar 2005, 07:03
If it's lapsed and needs to be reneweed, not revalidated, you will need to take the FI Skill Test AND attend a seminar.

raspberry
19th Mar 2005, 11:21
This is how I understand it, to revalidate you FI you have to do two of three things.

1) Have flow 100 hours in the past year

2) Go to a seminar (200 pounds)

3) Have a flight test

Hope this helps.

R

BEagle
19th Mar 2005, 11:53
Alternate revalidations are now required to be by flight check.

For renewal, which is what will be required for a lapsed FI Rating, both a renewal FI test and a seminar must be completed.

Delta Wun-Wun
19th Mar 2005, 12:13
Beagle,
Mines up this time next year. It will be my first re-newal. I was under theimpression that the first re-newal must be a flight test. Is that right?

DWW

airpilot
19th Mar 2005, 12:23
I understand that you cant keep revalidating by doing flight tests but need to go to a seminar once in a while. I'm revalidating this year with a flight test as i'm doing the course to remove my no applied bit. I would hope anyway that in another 3years I will be well and truly familiar with what the rest of the world looks like from FL350. I may keep it up I don't know.

BEagle
19th Mar 2005, 13:29
Delta Wun Wun, your first revalidation must be by flight test if you have flown the 100/30 instructional hours; all renewals invariably require flight test and seminar.

airpilot
19th Mar 2005, 19:52
Beagle,

I get completely confused with renew and revalidate. I should bloody know this but am clear now. Glad its every three years.

Delta Wun-Wun
19th Mar 2005, 22:39
Beagle, Thanks for that. Does that mean I will have to do a seminar and the a Flight est?

BEagle
20th Mar 2005, 06:30
Delta Wun Wun - do you understand the difference between renewal and revalidation? You must learn these definitions and be prepared to explain them to your students!

Suggest you check LASORS - I've explained several times what the requirements are; if you don't understand then reading LASORS is your best option.
:(

Whirlybird
20th Mar 2005, 11:09
BEagle,

Are you quite certain that the first revalidation must be by flight test rather than seminar (if you've flown the 100/30 instructional hours)? Mine is due in about a year, and I keep getting different answers on this. Several people said I had to do a test, then both an examiner and someone from one of the organisations running seminars told me I definitely wouldn't! Now you say I do. I can find nothing about it in LASORS or anywhere else. Please can you point me to where it says in writing that I have to do a test. I'd really like to get this sorted out, and I'd be happier to rely on the written word rather than numerous opinions.

Oh, and I'm a rotary FI, in case it makes any difference...I'm pretty certain it doesn't.

Delta Wun Wun,

If you get it all sorted before the three years finishes, and you have 100 instructional hours, with 30 in the last year, you can do a test OR a seminar...subject to complicated rules about which of those two you do. :confused: And it's called a revalidation. If you leave it longer than the three years, you have to attend a seminar AND do a test, and it's called a renewal.

However, since I don't claim to be an expert, having only about as much or as little experience as you, maybe checking LASORS as BEagle suggest isn't such a bad idea anyway. ;)

Delta Wun-Wun
20th Mar 2005, 12:03
Beagle,
Yes I understand the difference......but then I don`t try and it explain it at 2340 hrs to my students after a 12 hr shift.....my own fault for trying to read Pprune at such a god unearthly hour.
Whirly,
As I understand it the rules changed about 12 mths agoish whereby your first REVALIDATION must be by flight test not seminar....anyway if you are not sure just send the CAA some money anyway.....always works for me:ok:

BEagle
20th Mar 2005, 12:46
Whirlybird, the requirement has been in place for over 2 years. If your FI Rating was issued after 1 Mar 03, the first revalidation must include a FI proficiency check. There is no distinction between FI(A) or FI(H). If your Rating was issued before 1 Mar 03, you may choose the '2 out of 3' option, but thereafter at least every alternate revalidation must includ a FI proficiency check. See AIC 20/2003 (White 74) dated 6 Mar 03.

Whirlybird
20th Mar 2005, 15:52
So I'm two months too late, and I gotta do a test!!! :{ Thanks for that, BEagle. I'll look it up, but the fact that it's that recent explains why I'm getting so many different answers; no-one can ever keep up with all these rule changes. :(

Loony_Pilot
21st Mar 2005, 17:13
Thanks to everyone for being so helpful with the replies, its greatly appreciated!.

Looks like I will have to do a flight test and a seminar, yet more expense!!!