PDA

View Full Version : Herc Down (Merged)

Pages : [1] 2 3

Spacer
30th Jan 2005, 13:42
Guys and Gals, I'm sorry to be the one to break this. Sky News is reporting a British Herc down outside Baghdad. My thoughts are with the crew and families.

Spacer

Edited to provide a link: Sky News (http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30000-1169238,00.html)

His dudeness
30th Jan 2005, 13:55
acc. to german news TV (n-tv) a british Hercules crashed near Bagdad....
Hope that proves to be wrong.

Thud Ridge
30th Jan 2005, 14:03
Thoughts to family and friends, and to the Herc fleet.

TR

Little_Bee-eater
30th Jan 2005, 14:05
I'm not military but my fella is based at Lyneham and currently near Bagdad flying Hercs.

Would really appreciate any news you might have.

We're not married or living together so I wouldn't expect to hear officially.

DeaconBlue
30th Jan 2005, 14:09
It would appear from initial reports that noone got out, at this point it's impossible to speculate cause, all I can say is thoughts and prayers are with the whole force and their families at this awful time.

db

Inverted81
30th Jan 2005, 14:13
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/4220649.stm

looks like it has......
:(

Bunker Mentality
30th Jan 2005, 14:13
BBC Radio 4 reported a British C-130 crashed between Baghdad and Balad in their 1500 bulletin. No further info provided

Little_Bee-eater
30th Jan 2005, 14:14
Please can anyone tell me if they find out which base or sqadron they're from?

He's 47th from Lyneham

JessTheDog
30th Jan 2005, 14:14
Terrible news, all thoughts must be with the families, friends and colleagues of those lost.

truckiebloke
30th Jan 2005, 14:20
what a very sad day. all our thoughts are with the families and friends of the crew and passengers.

WE Branch Fanatic
30th Jan 2005, 14:25
Awful. Hope that it isn't as bad as it could be..........

Whipping Boy's SATCO
30th Jan 2005, 14:33
A sad day.

Little_Bee-eater, if all you have right now is access to the news/internet, a good news trawling website is www.newsnow.co.uk (http://www.newsnow.co.uk)

ComJam
30th Jan 2005, 14:45
Very sad news, my thoughts are with the families of those involved and with the Herc fleet as a whole.

Numpo-Nigit
30th Jan 2005, 15:00
A spokesman for the Ministry of Defence said of the crash: "It has just happened and it is one of ours."

truckiebloke
30th Jan 2005, 15:17
sky news are reporting c130 C1 - but noone else has said that yet-

know of several j crews who have called home saying they are ok, but no further details.

sad day.

propulike
30th Jan 2005, 15:18
JustCraig,

Don't rush. Rumour only hurts people unnecessarily. You'll find out soon enough. (Even if you aren't the one to report it - registered today?)

The short version is, it's one of ours.

Lets wait for the official version and hope for the best.

JustCraig
30th Jan 2005, 15:26
Propulike,

Yes of course, you are right. No point in getting myself or others worked up. I think I'll sit on my hands and go and watch the news again. Thanks.

Little_Bee-eater
30th Jan 2005, 15:26
...where the crashed plane came from

jpboy
30th Jan 2005, 15:27
JustCraig,

I hope you simply didn't read the post from the concerned lady properly, hence your question. If you're a journo s*d off. Thoughts for all Albert mates and families.

truckiebloke
30th Jan 2005, 15:47
sky news filling endless minutes with waffle and 'military' experts saying what it could/couldn't be etc etc - waste of time and it just creates speculation.

i just wish they would report the hard facts and save the discussion for when they have the whole picture.

10forcash
30th Jan 2005, 15:52
Thoughts to all the mates and their families from AFG, hopefully someone who was there will get a few drinks for the story...
Cheers,
10forcash

Jimlad
30th Jan 2005, 15:53
This may sound harsh, but once the basic fact is announced then I wish a news blackout would be voluntarily imposed. a lot of people are in that area and having friends their myself I am wondering about their safety. Far better to keep quiet and give the facts once known, than cause endless upset for a lot of people.

woptb
30th Jan 2005, 15:56
Terrible,terrible news. My thoughts are with the crew, their family, friends & comrades, Per Ardua.

VC10 Rib22
30th Jan 2005, 16:02
Damage reported over a wide area. It's not looking like good news. I hope this proves to be untrue. Thoughts are with the crew and their families.

Jackonicko
30th Jan 2005, 16:12
There will, inevitably, be speculation. There is, regrettably, a public appetite for a degree of immediacy and detail which encourages such speculation. It's therefore better that any speculation there is should be informed.

Moreover, as soon as it's known whether this was a J or a K one half of the Lyneham families will be able to breathe again - however sadly.

Though I'm a journo, I'm not speculating, just making a comment.

LoeyDaFrog
30th Jan 2005, 16:12
Just seen the news, hoping for the best and thoughts to the families.

adr
30th Jan 2005, 16:17
Confirmed on the MOD OP Telic news page (http://www.operations.mod.uk/telic/index.htm):An RAF C-130 Hercules crashed at around 1725 local time on 30 January some 30 kilometres north-west of Baghdad. The cause of the crash, and the extent of casualties among personnel on board are not yet known. Further details will be promulgated as soon as possible.

At the bottom of that page:Families Casualty Helplines

The three Services have established casualty helpline numbers for concerned relatives. They are as follows:
Royal Navy and Royal Marines 08457 414 544
Army 01980 615 500
Royal Air Force 08457 800 900

These numbers are for concerned relatives only and not for general or media enquiries.

Little Bee, if you've not done so already, you might want to speak to your bloke's family, and, if they're worried too, you might want to suggest they call the relatives helpline and ask them to tell you if they learn anything.

Here's hoping and praying for minimal casualties. :uhoh:

adr

6foottanker
30th Jan 2005, 16:17
Thoughts and concerns to all, from us at Brize.

Blakey875
30th Jan 2005, 16:23
Jacko,

There are other Lyneham people who are known as Support Crew who fly down the back in both J and K models so please don't interject until all the facts are known.

Little_Bee-eater
30th Jan 2005, 16:37
Have done. fingers crossed. thank you. won't post any detail cos of press interest on here.

Eagle 270
30th Jan 2005, 16:50
Terrible news. Thoughts go out to all concerned.

FJJP
30th Jan 2005, 16:58
Little_Bee-eater, well done. I hope others follow your example.

My thoughts tonight with all at Lyneham. Terrible news.

FJJP

D-IFF_ident
30th Jan 2005, 16:59
Our thoughts and hopes are with families and friends awaiting news, from the other side of the world.

TheWizard
30th Jan 2005, 17:14
As this seems to have caused some concern then I removed it. Simply publishing my thoughts on a personal note.
I am personally involved with this incident so please don't lecture me on ethics.
If you iunderstood the reference then you will know why.
Thanks.

5Uniform
30th Jan 2005, 17:18
Any Ideas on the cargo/PAX. I only ask as my younger brother is out there and he was waiting for connecting flights to Balad. Nothing else heard as yet!

Captain Gadget
30th Jan 2005, 17:20
As an ex-Herc guy, I would just like to add my thoughts to those of others above (and, no doubt, yet to post) for the crew and passengers of the crashed RAF C130 - and, of course, the many families still anxiously waiting for news.

Albert - for all that he is big, fat, and ugly - has a uniquely close extended family. That family will pull together now: I have seen it before.

Praying for good news

Gadget

insty66
30th Jan 2005, 17:20
Thewizard

All my thoughts and prayers are for the families and friends of those involved.

Edited to remove something that was no longer reqd.

Captain Gadget
30th Jan 2005, 17:28
Also no longer required.

Gadget

FJJP
30th Jan 2005, 17:29
FlashGordon - see adr's post above for tel nos for family to contact MOD for news.

Brit55
30th Jan 2005, 17:35
Well, good old George W Bush is at it again...

Just is the MoD and the poor chap or chappess who pulled Orderly Officer at Lyneham tonight are trying to minimise rumours, POTUS goes out on airlive across the world and tells us that Brits and US personnel have died today during his election speech. I'm guessing he has got his info from the US SAR team via the Pentagon. I do hope he is wrong.

My thoughts go out to all relatives and friends of anybody involved.

5Uniform
30th Jan 2005, 17:40
My apologies,

Thanks guys!

Captain Gadget
30th Jan 2005, 17:42
Thank you, Sir. I'm not going to lecture you on ethics, but I have that inscription on the badge on my flying suit. No longer serving, but a member of Albert's extended family nonetheless.

Once again, thank you for your swift and appropriate response, and I understand if it's a bit close to home, mate.

I knew several on XV193.

Gadget

16 blades
30th Jan 2005, 17:44
Blair has just confirmed fatalities in the crash on sky news. No further details given yet, or whether it was crew / pax.

RIP guys. My thoughts and prayers are with the families and loved ones.

16B

BigGrecian
30th Jan 2005, 17:46
As stated above Blair has confirmed fatalities.

Rest in Peace Guys.

Per Adua Ad Astra.

buoy15
30th Jan 2005, 17:46
Latest bulletin sounded grim

Hopes, prayers and thoughts from all at ISK

TheWizard
30th Jan 2005, 17:49
Gadget

Point taken. Just wanted 'the big family' to be one in our thoughts. As the PM has now confirmed the worst we can only pray for the them all and be strong for their families.
Keep on trucking.

truckiebloke
30th Jan 2005, 17:51
my thoughts are with all the crew and any passengers who might have been on board.

very sad time.

frodo_monkey
30th Jan 2005, 17:51
Some tragic news.

Thoughts and prayers to those affected by this terrible event.

RIP.

Per Ardua Ad Astra

juliet
30th Jan 2005, 17:54
truckiebloke

can you expand a bit. havent seen anything confirming type or those involved yet, just wondering where you have got your info from

D-IFF_ident
30th Jan 2005, 17:56
Sincerest condolences to families and friends.

RIP

Jackonicko
30th Jan 2005, 17:59
Blair spoke about the British Army, perhaps inferring that the aircraft did have significant numbers of passengers. This might also explain why there are RN and Army helplines for worried family members.

The details of which Squadron was involved are now 'out there' but in view of obvious concerns, I've removed the reference to which one it was.

Eagle 270
30th Jan 2005, 18:04
Well said OTS! Will people never learn?

aaaaa
30th Jan 2005, 18:06
OTS

Ditto Eagle 270's comments

aa

Jackonicko
30th Jan 2005, 18:06
Details are now on a US news website.

There are those who will want/need to know, who won\'t have been informed as next of kin. Were it not a Sunday, one might have expected the MoD to keep its website updated to reflect these \'breaking\' events (including the PM\'s comments) but this item has not been updated since 1615. Waiting for official confirmation will be slower than listening to the radio and TV.

Brian Dixon
30th Jan 2005, 18:13
Dreadful news.

Sincere condolences to all affected by this tragedy.

RIP.

Per Ardua

Eagle 270
30th Jan 2005, 18:17
Jacko, valiant recovery. The MoD usually pops round to inform in these circumstances. One suggests if you need to know, the wheels are already turning. If you dont need to know but its more of scooping then take it else where please.

average pilot
30th Jan 2005, 18:29
Terrible news, our thoughts are with all at Lyneham and elsewhere who may be connected with this tragic incident.

brit bus driver
30th Jan 2005, 18:34
Little Bus Driver's first BD today, so a day of mixed emotions, but an apt time to pause and reflect on life's priorities. Sincere condolences to anyone affected by today's sad loss.

Per Ardua.

adr
30th Jan 2005, 18:47
Requiescat in pace. Condolences to those who've lost someone. :(

adr

WASALOADIE
30th Jan 2005, 18:51
Sincere condolences to all the relatives, our thoughts are with you all at this sad time. from an ex-herc chum

HON
30th Jan 2005, 18:51
This is VERY sad news indeed. I know some of the serving guys on the Herc fleet (and some who have left the airforce now), my thaughts and prayers tonight will very much be with them all - as well as all of our guys and girls serving out in the middle east at the moment.

flipster
30th Jan 2005, 18:54
This is a nightmare come true for the 'Albert Family' but I implore everyone to let the families and Squadrons (along with Regiments/HM Ships) hear the sad news in private - with NO added speculation.

My most sincere condoloences to the bereaved families - I am heartbroken with you.

God Bless Them - Warriors All.

Flip

MightyGem
30th Jan 2005, 18:54
Condolences to everyone involved, and not just the relatives.

On_The_Top_Bunk
30th Jan 2005, 18:58
As a Herc guy I'm absolutely gutted.

A sad day for everyone concerned and my utmost condolences to family and friends.

FJJP
30th Jan 2005, 19:01
MightyGem, thank you.

FJJP

northernmonkey
30th Jan 2005, 19:01
RIP fellas

Sincere condolencies to family, colleagues and friends

Raising a glass to you now!

PPRuNe Pop
30th Jan 2005, 19:03
To everyone. PLEASE..........do NOT speculate. Do NOT name names. Do NOT name squadrons. That which is known and is in the public domain is for now is the only news that should be stated on here.

REMEMBER. There are those who sadly need solid news please don't make their lives any worse than it is now.

God bless all those involved.

PPP

Chilli Monster
30th Jan 2005, 19:04
Condolences to the families, RIP to the crew

Thoughts with you always.

Lardy1
30th Jan 2005, 19:05
Condolences to all, not least our mates still in-theatre who will carry on getting the job done, despite their loss.

744P2
30th Jan 2005, 19:07
Awful news; thoughts with the families and all at Lyneham. I was at Lyneham when 193 was lost - a terrible, sad time. Wishing also, all strength to the ex-colleagues who are having to console and comfort the families.

SirToppamHat
30th Jan 2005, 19:10
Terribly, terribly sad.

Sincere condolances to all those affected by this tragic loss.

Rest In Peace.

Toppam:sad:

ZH875
30th Jan 2005, 19:11
Condolences to all families, and to the crew and pax, many thanks guys for a difficult job carried out under difficult conditions - RIP.

mutleyfour
30th Jan 2005, 19:16
Tragic news....condolences and thoughts with you all....

M4

DuckDodgers
30th Jan 2005, 19:28
Deepest Condolence to the families of all involved.....RIP

I believe this is apt:

O ruler of the earth and sky,
Be with our airmen when they fly,
And keep them in thy loving air
From all the perils of the air:
O hear us when we cry to thee
From those who fly o'er land and sea

O Trinity of love and power
Our breathren shield in danger's hour;
From rock and tempest, fire and foe,
Protect them whereso'er they go:
And ever let there rise to thee
Glad hymns of praise from land and sea

NavyNav2
30th Jan 2005, 19:34
From an ex-Ascoteer (still serving) sincerest condolences to the families, friends and colleagues of those involved. My thoughts also to all at RAF Lyneham whose professionalism is beyond reproach.

NAV72
30th Jan 2005, 19:40
This is very sad news for all stationed at Lyneham and elsewhere.
As an ex trukkie my thoughts and prayers go out to all.
Many of you will be waiting for news of what has happened. I can tell you that from a previous job after Lyneham no news will be released from MoD or Lyneham until all next of kin have been informed, so please, please do not post anything on pprune until the authorities have done their bit. I know how hard that may be but please have a thought for all those families and friends who have lost loved ones today.

NAV72

Father Jack Hackett
30th Jan 2005, 19:45
All my thoughts with everyone at Lyneham.

Rest in Peace guys.

Father Jack.

Trumpet_trousers
30th Jan 2005, 19:47
What a very sad day for the Albert fleet - my thoughts and condolences go out to all those that have been affected by this terrible tragedy - RIP guys

ppf
30th Jan 2005, 19:50
Deepest condolences to all those affected by this terrible tragedy.

RIP God Speed.

ppf :(

Army Mover
30th Jan 2005, 19:50
My condolences to the families, my thoughts are with them, their friends and colleagues.

Front Seater
30th Jan 2005, 19:52
Everyone,

Sooooo sad news, so very sad. This is when all inter-service banter ceases and we unite 110% behind the families, friends, Service, station, crews and the aircraft.

Big hugs to you all.

The Gorilla
30th Jan 2005, 19:55
Today is a truly sad day. I too was on the Sqn when 193 went down.

Condolences and prayers to all from an ex LXX Air Eng.

Rest easy, sleep well..

BEagle
30th Jan 2005, 19:56
Agreed.

Cannot add more to what has already been said.

ramplocks
30th Jan 2005, 19:57
My thoughts are with those who have made the ultimate sacrifice this day......

Rest in peace guys.

SirPeterHardingsLovechild
30th Jan 2005, 19:59
Well done Peter Sissons for admonishing John Nichol for his speculation on the BBC.

John can have a think about that on the way to cash his cheque.

The bloke from Janes Defence Weekly should have known better as well.

The Albert Family have a good idea of the facts.

Everyone else will just have to be patient.

RIP Fellas

Lafyar Cokov
30th Jan 2005, 20:05
Our thoughts and hopes go to all crewmember's families, friends and collegues - and also to whoever or whatever was in the back...

LC

gashcan
30th Jan 2005, 20:09
Very sad. Impossible to find words that can express feelings adequately. Sorry guys.
Gash (ex-LXX & 242)

rej
To lost friends.

My sincerest condolences go out to the families and the entire community.

Rej

Captain Gadget
O, I have slipp'd the surly bonds of earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
Sunward I've climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
Of sun-split clouds - and done a hundred things
You have not dreamed of - wheeled and soared and swung
High in the sunlit silence. Hov'ring there,
I've chased the shouting wind along and flung
My eager craft through footless halls of air.

Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue
I've topped the windswept heights with easy grace
Where never Lark, nor even Eagle flew;
And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod
The high, untrespassed sanctity of space,
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

John Gillespie Magee, Jr

Requiescunt in Pace

rej
To lost friends.

My sincerest condolences go out to your families and the entire community.

Rej

Roland Pulfrew
30th Jan 2005, 20:11
To all involved. My condolences. A sad day for all.:(

shoutingwind
30th Jan 2005, 20:13
The dead are lying,
Like sleepers, who gentle
Dream of waking
to see the dawn
of a new day

RIP x

Beeayeate
30th Jan 2005, 20:14
Heart is heavy. Condolences to families and friends.

Brain Potter
30th Jan 2005, 20:19
Rest easy guys. My thoughts are with you and your families, friends and colleagues.

TheWizard
30th Jan 2005, 20:21
Rest in peace fellas. I will remember you all.

Tonkenna
30th Jan 2005, 20:22
A very sad day... RIP guys.

thoughts are with all involved and those affected.

Tonks

Gainesy
30th Jan 2005, 20:25
This unearthes many really sad memories.
RIP.
Per Adua.

WE Branch Fanatic
30th Jan 2005, 20:30
A terrible loss. Rest In Peace.

seven4mankind
30th Jan 2005, 20:31
We sometimes imagine after the last tragedy, that it will never happen again; it will never be so painful for us another time. It is how we all survive the job, the loss, the grief. We sometimes hope that this time, it will be not be our grief, in our selfish, introverted way.
Then another terrible gut wrenching tragedy dawns on a cold, January day, and I hope I speak for us all when I say that it is always the most agonising pain for comrades lost; it is always our grief, our tragedy.
It doesn't get easier, or more distant.
Thoughts, prayers and love to those who lost their lives and their families, friends, colleagues and loved ones.

They are all our dearly loved comrades. We grieve with you and for you. The sadness of this day is complete. Just heading out to a church I rarely visit to light a candle and get down on my knees to wish those souls a peaceful flight to heaven

God's speed friends

S4M

Old EngO
30th Jan 2005, 20:34
This is so, so sad. Sincere condolences to the families and friends of everyone on board.

Having spent many, many hours being shipped around the world over the years in our Albert fleet in the hands of some of the most professional people one could wish to meet, and having the absolute pleasure and privilege of getting to know quite a few of the crews personally in a fairly recent tour down South (hope of hopes none of them are involved), this is a great loss and will affect so many people and my thoughts are with you all.

Keep on trucking Truckies, your friends are now flying in a much finer place.

Where R We?
30th Jan 2005, 20:35
Sorry I'm not there tonight to share the sadness after recently left to ASC. Condolences to all; families, friends, sqn members and those left behind to pick up the pieces. Best wishes to all who knew them.

Man gets tired
Spirit don't
Man surrenders
Spirit won't
Man crawls
Spirit flies
Spirit lives when man dies

Man seems
Spirit is
Man dreams
The spirit lives
Man is tethered
Spirit is free
What spirit is man can be.

(Waterboys, Spirit)

RIP

WRW

Nil nos tremefacit
30th Jan 2005, 20:36
RIP....another corner of a foreign field.

moony
30th Jan 2005, 20:53
Today is my last day in the RAF (Air Traffic) after 35 years service. I was hoping to go out on a high - not so.
RIP

TAC Queen
30th Jan 2005, 20:59
Cannot think of the right thing to say.
My thoughts and those of my family go out to all.

L1A2 discharged
30th Jan 2005, 21:20
Condolences to those involved.

Can't add much more.

Rude C'man
30th Jan 2005, 21:22
Flight is freedom in it's purest form,
to dance with the clouds which follow a storm;
to roll and glide, to wheel and spin;
To feel the joy that swells within;
To leave the earth with its troubles and fly,
And know the warmth of a clear spring sky;
Then back to earth at the end of the day,
released from the tensions which melted away.
Should my end come while I am in flight,
Whether brightest day or darkest night;
Spare me your pity and shrug off the pain,
Secure in the knowledge that I'd do it again;
For each of us is created to die,
And within me I know,
I was born to fly.

My thoughts and condolences to all family, friends and Sqn colleagues.

God Rest Your Souls, My Friends

HercFairy
30th Jan 2005, 21:29
for those that have gone in our thoughts live on
for those that live on our hearts open up

: :(

Banggearo
Cannot add anything to what has been said other than the thoughts of me and Mrs Banggearo are with the family and friends and all at Lyneham during this terrible time.

RIP chaps

Cartman, E
Hercs ...... first in, last out. God speed and best wishes to all involved in todays incident, you will not be forgotten.

Incipient Sinner
30th Jan 2005, 21:33
I've typed this and deleted it too many times to count, there's nothing right to say.

Lives are not sacrificed, they're taken. Please add my heartfelt condolences to family, friend and Sqn members of those lost.

IS

Jackonicko
30th Jan 2005, 21:36
The MoD says:

"An RAF C-130 Hercules crashed at around 1725 local time on 30 January some 30 kilometres north-west of Baghdad. The cause of the crash, and the extent of casualties among personnel on board are not yet known. Further details will be promulgated as soon as possible.
Updated_30 January at 2105."

Reuters now say 15 UK casualties and an unspecified number of US dead, too.

Lafyar Cokov
30th Jan 2005, 21:43
I see Mr B liar commiserated with these brave members of the Army...... makes you almost wonder if it was a pre-prepared speech and he couldn't even be arsed to change the words to fit the occasion... sorry to be so angry.... but...

The mother alligator
30th Jan 2005, 21:51
God speed, I pray for all those involved directly and indirectly.

To lost Comrades.

Rest In Peace

scroggs
30th Jan 2005, 21:56
Yes, Lafyar I saw and heard that too. Makes one so proud to be. or have been, a representative of Her Majesty's Government...

Anyway, to all involved and affected I extend my absolutely heartfelt sympathy. You were my family for so long, I am well aware how hard it will have hit you. What else can I say? You're in my thoughts, now and ever.

lineslime
30th Jan 2005, 22:02
As one of the herc menders I found todays news very saddening, as I'm sure did all of us involved with the fleet. It has been said many times before, but I feel I have to say it again, my thoughts are with the families of all involed with this tragedy, as I am sure are the thoughts of the rest of us in the armed forces word wide.

I have just one question though, WHY Bush & Bliar WHY????????

country calls
30th Jan 2005, 22:06
Rest in peace fellas, and to those friends and families who are in for a long night please accept my sincere condolances.

CC

joe2812
30th Jan 2005, 22:15
Thoughts with all those concerned.

Ops and Mops
30th Jan 2005, 22:23
As a former Ascoteer (ableit only for a short time), I was devastated to hear this news.

My thoughts are with the families, friends and colleagues of those involved, and with the whole of the Truckie world.

Godspeed those onboard, making the ultimate sacrifice in the name of duty. May you all find peace and your families find comfort at this time of loss.

:sad:

P-T-Gamekeeper
30th Jan 2005, 22:25
I've been here before and it doesn't get any easier. Not looking forward to going to work in the morning.

Can't help reading between the lines of the limited (thankfully) news coverage and speculating in my head.

Godspeed to all, and hoping some made it.

jonnygangsta
30th Jan 2005, 22:27
Thoughts go out to the families.

Thinking of you boys.

PTT
30th Jan 2005, 22:30
Sincerest condolences to all affected.

Godspeed.

Slotback
30th Jan 2005, 22:31
Crewroom banter aside I've nothing but respect and pride for the professionalism and good humour of all the albert crews. A tragic loss to Lyneham and the RAF. Now is the time to let the relatives grieve in peace, but in the knowledge they all have our support and thoughts.

RIP

SmilingKnifed
30th Jan 2005, 22:32
God bless, one and all. Prayers with those gone and those they leave behind.

Per Ardua Ad Astra

Huron Topp
30th Jan 2005, 22:38
From the west side of the Pond, our prayers and condolences for all concerned. Per Ardua ad Astra

mickjoebill
30th Jan 2005, 22:42
http://www.smh.com.au/news/After-Saddam/15-may-have-died-in-British-Hercules-crash/2005/01/31/1107020287475.html

Sydney morning herald reporting casualty figures from govt source.

Mickjoebill

ctj
30th Jan 2005, 22:52
Our thoughts are with you.
RIP

CM (ex 47)

Engineer
30th Jan 2005, 22:53
Lafyar and scroggs

Would appear that Blair's speech was directed at the numerous Army personnel being carried on board at the time.

Maybe not a pre perpared speech but one from a man who was privy to more information than this forum members.

A little knowledge can be a dangerous thing.

push&start
30th Jan 2005, 22:56
Condolences to all those involved from a recently de-mobbed 30 and LXX eng

rudekid
30th Jan 2005, 23:27
RIP friends,

Still at the stage of disbelief that it could ever happen to such a good set of people. A sad,sad loss to all who knew you, a finer bunch you would be very hard pushed to meet.

Good to see that speculation isn't dead though. Not content with comments on this crash, the IDIOT from Janes (defence experts if you didn't know) remarks that the 1999 Albania crash was caused by an incorrectly tied down load. I know some people who would like to have a chat...

A big loss on every aircrew seat for Lyneham, as well as those fine GEs in the rear.

Overall a dark day.

Anticlockwise
30th Jan 2005, 23:27
O ruler of the earth and sky,
Be with out airmen when they fly...

Thoughts and prayers to family, friends, sqns of those involved

Lafyar Cokov
30th Jan 2005, 23:28
Sorry Engineer - last thing I want to do is start off a slagging match at this time.... but NO mention of the RAF???

Archimedes
30th Jan 2005, 23:32
My condolences also.

grousehunter
30th Jan 2005, 23:34
One of my saddest days in the airforce. I have tears now as i'm writing this. RIP guys. x

nick0021
30th Jan 2005, 23:46
I will be praying tonight for all of those involved. May those brave souls rest in peace, and their families feel our love and pride of their lost ones.

RIP

SALAD DODGER
30th Jan 2005, 23:48
I am shocked, and feel hollow inside with this news. I also offer my deepest condolencies to the families and other friends that may read these pages.

It really brings things into perspective for us all.

We are proud of you and will never forget.

SVK
31st Jan 2005, 00:07
It is occasions like these were a simple three word sentence would suffice, but the website won't post such a short entry.

I don't mind admitting it, I'm having a good cry for my mate and there's nothing that could possibly make it better. The worst of it is, it's not the first and won't be the last.

God Bless, Boys

ExRAFboy
31st Jan 2005, 00:14
RIP

Per Ardua Ad Astra

Navaleye
31st Jan 2005, 00:20
I am deeply saddened to learn of the news. Sincere condolances to the families and squadron concerned.

Navaleye

Prop-Ed
31st Jan 2005, 01:03
I lost good friends today. I will never forget you.

RIP

PPRuNe Pop
31st Jan 2005, 01:26
I apologise if this if this number has been given out before but on the other hand.............................

The BBC have reported that the MoD have issued a number for anyone who needs to enquire after loved ones or relatives to call: 08457 800 900

RIP.

Guy Willesley
31st Jan 2005, 01:33
God Bless boys. The bar tonight was busier than most Happy Hours are - a fitting tribute to the personalities of you all, as it was the concerned who turned up tonight.

My thoughts now are with those who are left behind - wives and girlfriends; children and babies left to grow old without a parent. God, it's surprising this keyboard still works with the amount of water falling on it.

Blue skies and tailwinds. At least you went doing what you loved.

Aero1
31st Jan 2005, 01:34
[This post has been edited by McD]

propulike
31st Jan 2005, 01:38
Of course you do Aero1.

Haven't you missed your deadline?

propulike
31st Jan 2005, 02:01
Mods, thanks for editing that post.

What to say to all affected? What I feel I can't type.
God Bless.

Spotting Bad Guys
31st Jan 2005, 02:30
Another sad loss. Safe ride to the stars boys.

SBG

Liam Gallagher
31st Jan 2005, 03:34
So sad....thinking of you all from the other side of the world

Per Ardua

Follow Me Through
31st Jan 2005, 04:26
This has brought back so many bad memories of the loss of 293 nearly 12 years ago.

I hope that in some small way the families and colleagues can feel the warmth from so many people across the globe at their lowest point.

Words are genuinely inadequate but be assured you are in our thoughts as are the memories of people doing a difficult job to the best of their ability.

Condolences from Canada.

Pilgrim101
31st Jan 2005, 05:30
Sad day ! My heartfelt condolences to all, and all who knew and flew with them. Maybe I did in the all too recent past :(

So our glasses will be raised with thoughts of the chat and piss taking, taken for granted that we were always safest in their hands and their tolerance and patience of our puppy like enthusiasm for sticking our heads in the bubble at any opportunity.

Poignant memories today of flying through the oil fire smoke and detritus of Kuwait in early 1991 with the best crews we could ever entrust our lives to !

Stitchbitch
31st Jan 2005, 06:09
R.I.P.
Another sad day in our lives as we mourn for those lost in this continuing conflict. My deepest condolences to all families and friends.

The Swinging Monkey
31st Jan 2005, 06:32
Another tragic day for the Royal Air Force in the quest for peace and security of others.
RIP guys from us all at Waddo.
God Bless
TSM

NURSE
31st Jan 2005, 06:37
deepest sympathies to the family and friends of those who died.

4fitter
31st Jan 2005, 07:17
Those who do, know me. The thoughts of Mrs 4f and myself are with all who are involved in this tragedy. Leave the families and friends to grieve in quiet dignity. RIP

beamer
31st Jan 2005, 07:26
From an ex-Ascoteer - heartfelt sympathies to all.

Good to see that the BBC are still talking about 'soldiers' in isolation - cannot MOD at least correct their statements to reflect that members of both the RAF and Army have been lost ?

Load Gone
31st Jan 2005, 07:30
Sincere condolences to all involved and thier families.

RIP guys.

yetti
31st Jan 2005, 07:40
BBC just reported that it is ****. It seemed to come from official sources.

TurbineTooHot
31st Jan 2005, 07:46
Condolences and sympathies to the families of those involved.

Rest in Peace

TTH

XV208 SNOOPY
31st Jan 2005, 07:53
Condolences to all involved.
A very sad day

RIP

Big Unit Specialist
31st Jan 2005, 07:54
Just back from there, used their services a few times, professionals to a fault - all I can say is Bugg&r.

My heartfelt condolences go out to all involved.

BUS

truckiebloke
31st Jan 2005, 08:11
yetti

stop talking sh1te please.

speculation from all the news broadcasters and everyone else is starting to p*ss me off.

why dont we just think about the people that died and the loved ones left behind.

snafu
31st Jan 2005, 08:12
A tragic loss. My thoughts and sympathies to the families, friends and colleagues of all those lost, be they aviators, support crew or pax.

"The cockpit was my office. It was a place where I experienced many emotions and learned many lessons. It was a place of work, but also a keeper of dreams. It was a place of deadly serious encounters, yet there I discovered much about life. I learned about joy and sorrow, pride and humility, and fear, and overcoming fear. I saw much from that office that most people would never see. At times it terrified me, yet I could always feel at home there... Though it was a place where I could quickly die, the cockpit was a place where I truly lived."

Brian Shul, "Sled Driver"

cloudybeer
31st Jan 2005, 08:20
What terrible news. Rest in peace all. My sincerest condolences to all involved.

Snapshot
31st Jan 2005, 08:24
I would like to mirror everyone else's comments
and pay my condolences to all those connected with
this sad sad day.
Times like these leave one with that sick feeling
in the gut all day
Ive been fortunate to fly on a few Alberts.
A LONG trip to Goose and a great air to air photo sortie sitting on the ramp of a 'K' photographing the 'J' when she came out a few years ago!
Lyneham and all crews have always made me very welcome
and I salute you all.
Thank you for keeping our Country safe!

Brooksy
Snapshot

Wayitup
31st Jan 2005, 08:30
So sad news. What can be said to ease the pain?
Keep on Truckin guys where-ever you are
To all those who think they know and speculate here....Please stop....it hurts!!!!
God speed and strength to all the Albert family

RC Ex 47 & 24 ALM

lineslime
31st Jan 2005, 08:36
Would any journos using this thread to try and get info please just GO AWAY. Your presence isn't wanted so just wait for the official releases from the MoD.

Just to mirror truckiebloke, and all the others getting hacked off with the speculation, stop it now!! There are more important issues like those left behind who have lost loved ones.

I_stood_in_the_door
31st Jan 2005, 08:37
Gone to eternal sleep - but never forgotten.

Deepest sympathy to all.

Raise a glass to absent friends.

ISITD

L1011GE
31st Jan 2005, 08:44
Sincerest condolences to the families, friends and colleagues of those involved thinking of all of you...
RIP

Tristar GE's

teeteringhead
31st Jan 2005, 08:45
When you begin a career in aviation, particularly military aviation, you write a blank cheque you hope will never be cashed.....

Thoughts and prayers for families, friends and all with a connection ... coupled with grateful memories of safe arrivals by Albert in many theatres....

"Too full already is the grave
Of fellows that were good and brave
And died because they were ..."

A E Housman

bad livin'
31st Jan 2005, 08:56
Lyneham must indeed be a sad place this morning. My deepest regrets and sympathies to the families and relatives of those lost, and to their extended families in whichever squadron was theirs.

sprucemoose
31st Jan 2005, 08:57
I've been sickened by the speculation from all angles since this news broke yesterday - I am a journo, but also the son of an ex-air movements guy who served for many years at Lyneham, so my heart sank even more than usual when I heard about this accident.

My condolences to the families of all those lost or injured in this accident and as ever, absolute respect to the armed forces who serve us so gallantly.

Hi Overtorque - rant over, so I've removed my middle paragraph as you suggested.

Canary Boy
31st Jan 2005, 09:31
Condolences to family and friends (that seems pretty inadequate but is heartfelt)

jayteeto
31st Jan 2005, 09:36
OTS, he is telling us what is on national news right now, he is not speculating or scoring cheap political points like some. It doesnt need to be deleted. I am horrified at the news, just like you, but dont go over the top. Try to stay sensible when people try to be helpful. The first name has been released on teletext

Doors to Automatic
31st Jan 2005, 09:37
Does anyone know how many Lyneham Herc crews are out there at the moment.

I have a friend who is a Herc pilot (he is out there) and am very worried.

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Champagne Anyone?
31st Jan 2005, 09:44
Well said Spruce! Agree with your comments totally.

And, no, don't edit the first two paras, you're not starting a rant, just showing that you too have feeling for the crews and families of those involved.

Many a time have I have stood in my garden and watched in awe as those guys pilot their craft with such precision at tree top height, down over the local carrs towards Finningley and in perfect formation!! Such true professionals!!

My condolences to all families, girlfriends and friends of all involved.

I will be raising a glass to you guys this evening.

God bless. :( :(

flipster
31st Jan 2005, 09:46
D to A

That's not a very smart question to be asking here and you will, of course, get no sensible reply.

We can understand that you are anxious to know but, if you do have friends out there, please do them a favour and ask any questions off-line.

Please be patient - the sad news will be broken once ALL families have been informed.

www.rafmovs.com
31st Jan 2005, 09:47
Rest in peace fellas

Our thoughts are with you, your friends, family and colleagues.

"Per Ardua ad Astra - Through Struggles to the Stars"

TriLM
31st Jan 2005, 10:03
Terrible news. Our thoughts and condolences to the families of all concerned and also with all of our friends and the guys and girls at Lyneham.

FatBaldChief
31st Jan 2005, 10:45
We live in very dangerous times and my thoughts, condolences and prayers go out to all. Rest in peace.

Scribbly
31st Jan 2005, 10:50
Many thanks (not) to whoever published the article from the Australian newspaper. The press are now on the doorstep of his wife's house, knocking on the door, cameras through the window etc. How would you feel if it was your family? Please could everyone think carefully about the consequences of your posts, it's hard enough for her as it is.

foiled again
31st Jan 2005, 10:55
There is little to be said that is of much help to family and friends ...........

Perhaps this is an (un)timely reminder to say a big thank you to all the Lyneham fraternity as the unsung professionals providing a fundemental service upon which everyone comes to rely but perhaps one that is often taken for granted.

May all concerned find their respective peace......

eal401
31st Jan 2005, 11:00
The press are now on the doorstep of his wife's house, knocking on the door, cameras through the window etc.
The story was public domain, posting it here makes no difference. Could we quit with this now.

To those affected, sincere condolences for this tragedy..

To those using this for cheap point scoring and anti-media rants, I have nothing but contempt. Take it elsewhere or go for a walk and calm down.

airborne_artist
31st Jan 2005, 11:03
Many thanks (not) to whoever published the article from the Australian newspaper. The press are now on the doorstep of his wife's house, knocking on the door, cameras through the window etc.

Scribbly - don't knock him - the BBC were on to it also, and updated the online article with the information. The press, however, are a different matter, and should stay away from grieving relatives, unless they offer to speak to the press.

I've stood in the door waiting for Red on, Green on. So sorry you didn't beat the clock, lads.

AA

strake
31st Jan 2005, 11:07
Somtimes, service personel and their families must wonder if anyone in Civvy Street knows or cares about what they are doing for their country given all the protests and negative comments that abound.

I just wanted to let any families, crews, or friends of those involved know that there are people "out here" who care about you and think about you. Never more so than at times like this.

ORAC
31st Jan 2005, 11:07
The Secretary of State for Defence, the Rt Hon Geoff Hoon MP, said on 31 January:

"It is with great regret that I can confirm that nine Royal Air Force personnel and one soldier are missing believed killed in yesterday's crash of an RAF C-130 Hercules in Iraq. On behalf of the Ministry of Defence and all the Armed Forces, I should like to extend my deepest sympathies to the families of these servicemen.

"The aircraft was on a flight between Baghdad International Airport and Balad airbase when it crashed. UK and US forces have secured the crash site, and are now recovering the bodies, and attempting to ascertain the cause of the crash. We are aware of reports that the aircraft may have been shot down, but we are not in a position to come to any conclusions until the investigation is complete.

"The deaths of these Servicemen are especially poignant on a day when Iraqis were able to enjoy the freedom of democratic elections for the first time in many years.

"I can only echo the sentiment of the Prime Minister in recognising the sacrifice of these Servicemen."

Lou Scannon
31st Jan 2005, 11:12
No words...just thoughts for the families and friends.

ex 36,48 and 242.

Pete Begley
31st Jan 2005, 11:12
I was at Lyneham when we lost our last one in Scotland, seems like yesterday. The Ground Eng in Scotland was a split brain like me and I'd taught him in the Ground School at Lyneham.

You never forget these things and it brings it all back, my deepest sympathy to everyone involved.

Let's hope this does not detract from the acheivments gained by our armed forces in Iraq towards peace and some form of democracy.

If the aircraft was brought down by terrorists, my message to them is, "You can win a battle, but the war is already over. The people who died yesterday both in action and voting will be remembered long after you are dust and forgotten"

SALAD DODGER
31st Jan 2005, 11:19
There is an epitaph, composed by the Norwegian poet, Nordal Greig, inscribed on the air force memorial in Oslo. The words are apt for this forum:

To name even one of them
Would break faith with those unknown:
Above the ranks of the fallen
Stand Heaven, serene, alone.

Think before you post guys!

500days2do
31st Jan 2005, 11:27
A very sad day and a huge loss for many, but desparate heartfelt wishes to the families.I have lost good friends but their loss is far greater....

RedFlag
31st Jan 2005, 11:35
A sad day for all at EGDL.
My thoughts and prayers are with all of the families of those lost.

Safe journey to the stars friends, you will be missed, and never forgotten.

'May the road rise to meet you,
May the wind be always at your back,
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
The rains fall soft upon your fields and,
Until we meet again,
May God hold you in the palm of His hand.'

RedFlag

MsPilot
31st Jan 2005, 11:43
I just wanted to let the families and friends know that as a pilots wife at Lyneham - I have had loads of emails from friends and family sending their thoughts to the loved ones left behind.....

My HEART goes out to all families and friends..........

I hope you can take strength in that they were doing what they lived & loved to do.....for that they will never be forgotton ....God bless you all......

XXXXXXXXXXX

Little_Bee-eater
31st Jan 2005, 12:11
received yesterday. thank you all for your kind thoughts.

little bee

littleme
31st Jan 2005, 12:13
Rest in peace guys.

My thoughts are with all the families, friends and colleagues at Lyneham.

Tis a very very sad time. :(

devonianflyer
31st Jan 2005, 12:18
Per Adua Ad Astra

My thoughts and prayers go out to all those involved.

DF

(Rumors travel faster than truth, but in the end only the truth will remain.)

meub
31st Jan 2005, 12:36
Left Lyneham several years ago but still live in the local area and know that many beyond the RAF care about the station and its personnel in particular. Their thoughts, and mine, will be with those affected.

yetti
31st Jan 2005, 12:44
Truckiebloke, I was simply passing on what the MOD are reported to have told the BBC. It came on about 8.20 this morning. They gave model and year of introduction to service. Surely this brings the information into the public domain and is therefore reportable?

Geehovah
31st Jan 2005, 12:51
Just woke to this sad news.

My thoughts are with the families

RIP

SALAD DODGER
31st Jan 2005, 13:09
My friends, my life is richer for knowing you and I am proud to have served by your side. We will continue your good work and keep your love in our hearts. Farewell and God bless, you are in good company.

'Aircrew' 31 December 1942 by Harold Balfour

Fighter trail etched white on blue,
Bomber captain, seaplane crew;
Like Gods; these men, though wrought as we
Are brushed with immortality.
Their youth not lost to age as years go by
But grandly, in a moment, soaring high through conquered sky.

TechyFilth
31st Jan 2005, 13:10
:sad: Having spent time at several stns located somewhere in Oxon/Wilts, this news always brings sadness. I would like to send my thoughts and prayers to the families and loved ones of the missing crew, Support crew & Pax. Losses like this are never nice, the sooner we're out of there, the better.

Per Ardua

hyd3failure
31st Jan 2005, 13:15
It is never easy, in fact in someways it gets harder to accept the loss of friends the older you get. However, my thoughts and prayers are with all friends and families at this sad time. RIP

BeauMan
31st Jan 2005, 13:16
Reading through some of the comments, I'm moved to tears. Found out this morning that my brother was nowhere near, but my family's relief is muted by the loss of ten fine men. To them, may you rest in peace lads. To those of you who have lost someone, I am so, so sorry.

AirYard
31st Jan 2005, 13:19
Thoughts and prayers go out the families and friends, not forgetting crew and those in Lynham.

A drink will be raised to you all.

ou Trek dronkie
31st Jan 2005, 13:27
Deepest sympathy and prayers for all the families.

oTd

adr
31st Jan 2005, 13:28
Father of mercies and God of all consolation,
you pursue us with untiring love
and dispel the shadow of death
with the bright dawn of life.

Comfort your family in their loss and sorrow.
Be our refuge and our strength, O Lord,
and lift us from the depths of grief
into the peace and light of your presence.

Your Son, our Lord Jesus Christ,
by dying has destroyed our death,
and by rising, restored our life.
Enable us therefore to press on toward him,
so that, after our earthly course is run,
he may reunite us with those we love,
when every tear will be wiped away.

We ask this through Christ our Lord, Amen.

-- from the Catholic Rite of Christian Funerals

By posting this, I'm not seeking to imply any disrespect to people of other faiths or of none. If anyone wants to post a Sikh or Muslim or any other sort of prayer, please don't be inhibited.

adr

mickjoebill
31st Jan 2005, 13:33
Rude Kid
Good to see that speculation isn't dead though. Not content with comments on this crash, the IDIOT from Janes (defence experts if you didn't know) remarks that the 1999 Albania crash was caused by an incorrectly tied down load. I know some people who would like to have a chat...

BBC News online also writing this about the Albania crash.
I suggest that you contact them

mickjoebill

Training Risky
31st Jan 2005, 13:41
You shouldn't have to instinctively apologise for posting Christian messages here. This was still a Christian nation the last time I checked - not a Sikh or Muslim one.

Back to the thread,

I know many guys at Lyneham.

Per Ardua.:(

UncleFester
31st Jan 2005, 14:01
:( I can only add my condolences to the families of the crew and pax. I left Rompers Green 4 years ago after 42 years, the last 25 as a Truckie Driver and seem to have been to more funerals since than I ever did whilst serving. It still hurts hearing about this kind of thing.
I will lift a glass or three to absent friends,
RIP
:{

pilot watcher
31st Jan 2005, 14:11
As an ex 47er, just heard that the Air Eng and Alm were old mates of mine. We had some great times and great laughs, thanks for the memories boys.........enough said.

RIP

Gunship
31st Jan 2005, 14:16
:sad:My sincerest and deepest condolence to all the families and friends left behind.

May your loved one's rest in peace.

God Bless

Gunzzz :sad:

hobie
31st Jan 2005, 14:17
fifty seven thousand views on this thread, in the past twenty four hours, is a sign of just how many care about the RAF guys operating in Iraq .......

bluntie
31st Jan 2005, 14:21
I spent 2 years travelling around the world in the back of Herc's. Always had a great time.

RIP guys.

Gunship
31st Jan 2005, 14:32
Within minutes Mr Jack Straw will be live from Parliament to discuss the issue.

There he is on now !

snakepit
31st Jan 2005, 14:34
Ex LXX Sqn.
Words fail me.

My sincerest and deepest condolence to the families. I know my families thoughts will be with you also.

I will be raising a glass in Valley mess to you all.

Keep on truckin.

Gunship
31st Jan 2005, 14:35
He basically just said that the crash site has been secured and that 9 RAF personnel died and one from the British Army. :sad:

KENNYR
31st Jan 2005, 14:39
"Fat Albert" has carried me and my helicopter to many exotic locations around the world. Sincere condolences to the families of those lost in that Godforsaken land. RIP guys.

A_Line
31st Jan 2005, 14:43
My heart goes out to all the family and friends of all on board.

My thoughts also go to the other crews (Air and Ground) still working out in Iraq, it isn't easy doing their job when they have all been affected by the events of the last day.

Lyneham is indeed a very sad place today,
We are all sure to have known at least someone onboard

God Bless You all

:sad:

Bear 555
31st Jan 2005, 14:43
My thoughts, feelings and condolences go to all those who have lost someone.

We are all family and we all feel the pain - some, no doubt, more than others.

I have had more than a few minutes silence today.......

Bear 555

The Swinging Monkey
31st Jan 2005, 15:02
I am still in complete shock at this tragic time, and I hope that this little poem will perhaps ease the pain that I know so many will be suffering right now............................

Flying West, by Capt Mike Larkin

I hope there's a place, way up in the sky,
Where aircrew can go, when they have to die.
A place where a guy can get a cold beer
For a friend or a comrade whose memory is dear.
A place where no doctor or lawyer can tread,
And a scribbly-type would not be caught dead!
Just a quaint little place, kind of dark, full of smoke,
Where they like to sing loud, and love a good joke!
The kind of a place where a lady could go,
And feel safe and secure by the men she would know.

There MUST be a place where old aircrew go,
When their wings become weary, and their airspeed gets low;
Where the whisky is old, and the women are young,
And songs about flying and dying are sung.
Where you'd see all your mates, who'd "flown west"
before,
And they'd call out your name, as you walked thru the door,
Who would buy you a drink, if your thirst should be bad,
And relate to the others, "He was such a nice lad!"

And there thru the mist you'd spot an old guy
You’d not seen for years, though he'd taught YOU to fly,
He'd nod his old head, and grin ear to ear,
And say, "Welcome, my son, I'm pleased you are here!
For this is the place where true flyers come,
When the battles are over, and the wars have been won;
We've come here at last, to be safe and alone,
From the government clerk, and the management clone,
Politicians and lawyers, police and the noise,
Where all Hours are Happy, and these good ol' boys,
Can relax with a 'cool one', and a well deserved rest.."
"Cos this is Heaven my son, you've passed your last test!"

Farewell dear 'Albert' Warriors, may God bless you and all those you have left behind. Those of us that are left will not forget........

TSM

blackwatergoblin
31st Jan 2005, 15:28
truckiebloke.

These guys were warriors and they know and accept the risks when they take the queen's shilling.

Mewling and puking from wimps like you denegrates their passing.

If you can't hack it then get a job driving a milk float.

Blackwatergoblin.

A_Line
31st Jan 2005, 15:40
BBC News 24 has just shown film claiming to show SAM being fired at an Aircraft and wreckage afterwards.
I was suspicious about truth of claim but the engine appears to be Hercules and there are stantions about.
There does not appear to be much doubt now.

Mahogany Bomber
31st Jan 2005, 15:50
All our thoughts and condolences to the families and friends of those we lost yesterday.

Mobile Muppet
31st Jan 2005, 15:54
Such a sad time, my deepest condolences for the family and friends of all those involved.

A shame the media are in such a rush to show any video footage before all the facts are disclosed and families informed. I think the word tw@ts sums them up.

Condolences again from all at UKMAMS.

MM

Boy_From_Brazil
31st Jan 2005, 16:32
My son lost at least 3 mates on that flight. It has certainly brought a lot of things into perspective.

My prayers and thoughts are with the all the guys families and friends. Lyneham is a close knit community and all the personnel on the base will feel the loss.

BFB

Issimondias
31st Jan 2005, 16:34
Dreadful news, condolences to all family and friends of the crew and pax.

sangiovese.
31st Jan 2005, 16:49
As ever at times like these no words can ever really get to the heart of ones feelings. Hopefully the number of views and posts on this thread will go a small way to expressing the love, dedication and professionalism with which these guys were blessed

The Real Ed.
31st Jan 2005, 17:07
I’ve been reading this stuff all day wondering what to say. What is there to say other than I respect all you guys that died and offer my most heartfelt condolences to all their friends and family (including the great big, loose military family which comes together so well at times like these).

I’ve also been troubled by the feeling of complete impotence one feels on these occasions; wanting to do something positive, wishing one could put it all right or at least be able to wipe away all the tears etc.. Then I read the little exchange between the apologetic Christian and the unapologetic Christian above. Well, I’m a devout Agnostic and really appreciated the apology, even though neither point of view offends me. What I do on these occasions is light a candle in memory of the dead.

This is a gesture shared by nearly all religions but the non-religious may be interested to hear it goes a long way further back than that. The Celts used to erect what was known as a Ghost Fence or Spirit Wall which was simply a circle of individual flames, each representing the spirit of a deceased loved one – a parent, sibling or great warrior perhaps. They all stood inside the circle and made a simple, dignified act of remembrance. Nothing spooky, mystical or magic about it. It seems quite likely to me, looking at all the various stone and wood circles from ancient times, that this tradition is even older than the Celts.

It also seems to me that the men who died yesterday were parents, siblings, friends and great warriors to boot. So why not send them off in the ancient way, offending nobody, including everybody, with a dignified, humane gesture that they would be proud of themselves. I'm sure a candle in a jam jar will do...

Knowing the Celts, I suspect this bit was followed by the imbibing of copious amounts of ‘weapons-grade’ alcoholic beverages; I suggest you do them proud and do the same! I know I'm going to...

Sorry to blather on… Right I’m off to find the candles and the Malt!

RIP, boys…

TRE:sad:

moosp
31st Jan 2005, 17:15
If you cannot control your pathetic urges to pontificate then your views are not going to placed here.

Either you follow the line that most are following or you won't be allowed to post anything.

BEFORE!!!!! You post anything just think,

PPP

sfefo
31st Jan 2005, 17:20
A very sad day, my heartfelt sympathies to all family and friends involved. Lets hope you receive the dignity you deserve.

An ex-FE LXX, 47, 242.

Chris H

eastern wiseguy
31st Jan 2005, 17:24
Perhaps you should repost on the Mil site ....see if anyone agrees with you.

TheWizard
31st Jan 2005, 17:30
To brave comrades in arms,
I will always remember the good times with a smile and I know you will appreciate this :

Flying West

I hope there's a place, way up in the sky,
Where aircrew can go, when they have to die.
A place where a guy could buy a cold beer
For a friend and a comrade whose memory is dear.
A place where no doctor or lawyer could tread,
Nor a management -type would e'er be caught dead!
Just a quaint little place, kind of dark, full of smoke,
Where they like to sing loud, and love a good joke!
The kind of a place where a lady could go,
And feel safe and secure by the men she would know.
There MUST be a place where old aircrew go, when
Their wings become weary, when their airspeed gets low;
Where the whiskey is old, and the women are young,
And songs about flying and dying are sung.
Where you'd see all the fellows who'd "flown west" before,
And they'd call out your name, as you came thru the door,
Who would buy you a drink, if the thirst should be bad,
And relate to the others, "He was quite a good lad!"
And then thru the mist you'd spot an old guy
You had not seen for years, though he'd taught YOU to fly,
He'd nod his old head, and grin ear to ear,
And say, "Welcome, my son, I'm pleased you are here!
For this is the place where true flyers come,
When the battles are over, and the wars have been won;
We've come here at last, to be safe and afar,
From the government clerk, and the management czar,
Politicians and lawyers, the Feds and the noise,
Where all Hours are Happy, and these good ol' boys,
Can relax with a 'cool one', and a well deserved rest.."
"This is Heaven, my son: You've passed your last check!"

Keep on Trucking boys
GA (ex 47) ;)

Solid Rust Twotter
31st Jan 2005, 17:33
Condolences to family and friends of those lost.

The drop of beer spilt from the first one in memory of those no longer with us will be a little larger this evening...

814man
31st Jan 2005, 17:35
A tragedy like this affect all of us in the RAF, even if like me the closest I ever came to these guys was admiring their professionalism from afar in countless hours and many many trips spend down the back, along with a few all too short glimpses of the action on the flight deck. Not to mention of course the humour, kindness and friendship displayed by crews to us mere pax on stopovers at places all around the world.

My sympathies to all involved.

ClearReverse
31st Jan 2005, 17:46
Condolences to all the families.

Spent many a year at Lyneham.

God Bless to all, I will say a special prayer when I have a beer tonight. My wife and family send deepest regrets.

ex FE 24, 47, and LXX.

jayteeto
31st Jan 2005, 17:49
Isn't the war officially over? I did 24 years military service, the last 18 as an RAF helicopter pilot. I flew on Ops and let me tell you that dying was not one of the acceptable options. You are flippant saying you must expect to die. In fact my wife and kids think you are a pr*ck. In fact so do I. Its nice to see some people care :mad:

Ex Oggie
31st Jan 2005, 17:49
moosp

Whilst I am for open discussion on any subject, this is not the time. This is an aircrew forum, those that lost their lives were aircrew. There will be many on PPRuNe that have lost one or more very close friends in the last 24 hours. We all know aviation is a close knit community, military aviation even more so.

I lost a good friend in '193, and am dreading the possiblity of finding out the worst over the next few days, as I do not want to go through the turmoil yet again.

Please allow time for reflection and respect, and join the rest of us fellow aviators in passing our deepest condolances to all of the family and friends of our fellow aviators who are no longer with us.

XO

Liam Gallagher
31st Jan 2005, 17:51
I note from moosp's profile, there is a strong suggestion he is (embarrassingly) a CX pilot operating 400's.

Should his questioning been genuine, he needed only ask one of his ex-RAF colleagues at CX. I have no doubt they would have been glad to "enlighten" him.

I have no doubt he's fishing for responses; the things some people do for entertainment :yuk:

Evil J
31st Jan 2005, 18:04
What about the thousands of military personnel, "trained to kill" providing relief to those suffering in SE Asia???

air pig
31st Jan 2005, 18:05
Maybe Moosop should voice their sentiments in the company of the Albert community. I am sure that they would deliver a suitable reply. Death in any situation is a tragedy, maybe you should just offer condolences not critisism, at such a difficult time.

I am sure that the Albert community would unresevedly send condoluences if you had lost some of your friends and colleagues in a tragedy.

So in other words if you cannot be constructive at this time then SHUT UP. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

My thoughts are for the bereved and their families and friends.:{ :{ :{ :{

nfiqfi
31st Jan 2005, 18:11
Sad day for everyone back at Lyneham. Thoughts and prayers are with those friends and families suffering tonight. I've been there waiting for the same bad news as them and feel truly saddened at the thought of their pain.

Joyce Tick
31st Jan 2005, 18:13
The sending of condolences is a kind and civilised thing to do. The condolences are for who were not at war, the wives, the children, the parents of those who died.

Are you so mean, moosp, that you cannot sympathise with the bereaved.

Should something untoward happen to you, would you not expect kindness to your family, despite your left wing pacifism?

CarltonBrowne the FO
31st Jan 2005, 18:26
I have removed my original response to moosp 's thread as the offending remark has been removed by the mods.
Instead, I would add my sympathies to the families and friends of all those killed.

sfefo
31st Jan 2005, 18:28
Moosp

Wind it in boy, just lost very good friends out there, something you probably don't have with that sort of attitude.

John Farley
31st Jan 2005, 18:29
Everyone:

A serious topic deserves a serious response......

I think one’s reaction to this sort of tragedy depends very much on one’s age.

Aircrew in WWII did not expect to survive one tour on ops let alone several.

If you joined the RAF in the 50’s there was a good chance that you would be killed in a flying accident. That was just a matter of fact. There were literally hundreds of accidents each year. If you had any common sense you accepted this. When you lost a mate of course it was sad but it was not unusual.

Today (in war or peace) so few aircrew are killed each year that every event comes as a terrible shock to those who have not experienced those earlier days. We should recognise this and not question what they do or say.

mbga9pgf
31st Jan 2005, 18:30
I Did Not Die

Do not stand at my grave and forever weep.
I am not there; I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow.
I am the diamond glints on snow.
I am the sunlight on ripened grain.
I am the gentle autumn’s rain.
When you awaken in the morning’s hush
I am the swift uplifting rush
Of quiet birds in circled flight.
I am the soft stars that shine at night.
Do not stand at my grave and forever cry.
I am not there. I did not die.

All the best buddy, hope to see you again sometime.

Paul

mad eng
31st Jan 2005, 18:32
Just opened a drawer and found the order of service from Craig H''s service......painful times again.......
" Oh I have slipped the surly bonds of the earth and danced the skies on laughter silvered wings......"
My thoughts are with all
NM

sfefo
31st Jan 2005, 18:35
Lost two very good friends, God Bless you both and your crew.

On the malt as we speak.

Until we meet again, On On

Chris H

KipperNav
31st Jan 2005, 18:36
My thoughts to all at Lyneham, and especially to those out in theatre at the present time. No words can express what we are feeling.

I shall be raising a glass tonight for those who have left us, and lighting candles to remember you by. Families, friends and colleagues are in my prayers.

God Bless you all.

Overtorques Slave
31st Jan 2005, 18:58
Overtorque and I would like to offer our condolences and prayers to all involved.

OTS

Jackonicko
31st Jan 2005, 19:00
Whatever nine brave blokes from Lyneham went to Iraq to do, it wasn't to kill. Certainly not to kill directly. Many would have the very highest motives - doing their duty to their country, and putting their lives on the line to make the world a better safer place.

And while criticism of the war might lead some particpants to be defensive, most would privately admit to grave misgivings that any innocent bystanders have lost their lives, and perhaps even to regret that so many enemy lives have been lost.

It's only natural, however, that they should be moved to express their condolences (and even grief) on a thread in the PPRuNe military forum when nine of their number die in a single incident.

Most aircrew (the vast majority) are highly intelligent blokes (often slightly right of centre politically) and to imply that they're cold blooded killers who should somehow deserve to 'kill or be killed' is ignorant and stupid, and is extremely insensitive in these circumstances.

Most of those here are extremely tolerant of outsiders who have any kind of sympathy, empathy or interest in, or knowledge of military aviation - even journos. I'd gently suggest that you haven't demonstrated those characteristics, and that you should expect an angry response. You're lucky that no-one has pointed out that the lowliest, youngest ALM on No.47 Squadron is worth a dozen of you or I.

nfiqfi
31st Jan 2005, 19:10
I am so disgusted at the inappropriate posting by this prick moosp that I can barely contain my anger. This is purely a time for condolences and prayers for those poor unfortunates who will not be coming home to their familes and friends.

What goes around comes around moosp, so fly safe.

DA50driver
31st Jan 2005, 19:12
My condolences to all affected by this accident, and thank you for doing your part to keep my family safe.

In my opinion it is short sighted to be so opposed to the actions taken against Iraq. Saddam Hussein was told many times over to open up for inspections by the U.N. He never complied, and based upon the information available at the time, war was initiated.

If he had let inspections be carried out there would have been no reason for the U.S. and Britain to take action. Saddam Hussein started this war, not the U.S.

Consider it this way. Your company says "Fly to London to pick up a load", and you decide to go to Paris instead. Would you be held responsible for your decision? If you do not agree with this argument the entire U.N. needs to be shut down, it is nothing but a waste of time and money.

FJJP
31st Jan 2005, 19:12
MOOSP's post has been deleted by PPP [thanks to him]. I've now deleted mine as irrelevant.

My thoughts and condolences to those RAF and Army families suffering the aftermath of this tragedy.

FJJP