PDA

View Full Version : Herc Down (Merged)

Pages : 1 [2] 3

TheWizard
31st Jan 2005, 19:15
Well said Jacko. At least somebody is able to show the appropriate respect due.
MOOSP, I think you have just managed to instantly alienate yourself on this forum. Well done for being so insensitive:*

RRAAMJET
31st Jan 2005, 19:32
Horrible news...

Lots of former colleagues and former studes of mine from Finningley at Lyneham - I dread the release of the names.

My sincerest condolences go out to all those who have lost loved ones, and thoughts and prayers for those who continue to fly the flag on behalf of all of us Brits worldwide.

Without a doubt, the world's best truckies, in the finest tradition.

Sobelena
31st Jan 2005, 19:42
Oh dear, I thought moosp has a point! Air Pig , with all his overdone crying faces, doesn't show respect, he cheapens those mens' deaths even more. This is not about lack of respect. This is about those of you that go way over the top. I've lost two pilot friends (one military) in tragic circumstances. They weren't British though, so I guess it doesn't matter.

old-timer
31st Jan 2005, 19:44
It's a sad day indeed for all at Lyneham & out in the far east,
my thoughts are with all of you guys & gals - I met a lot of you when I was seconded to Lyneham a few years back -
please let me know where the families support contributions can be sent to

PER ARDUA AD ASTRA

itchybum
31st Jan 2005, 19:53
Sorry to cut in on the condolences:

Media are now saying insurgents are claiming the Herc as a shoot-down. Doesn't change anything re the dead and is probably terorist propaganda anyway.

I'm not up on the RAF Sqns so don't know if this (47 Sqn) was a spec ops Herc, or however they are referred to. If it was, there probably won't be much more detail forth-coming.

Sincere condolences to the families.

Always_broken_in_wilts
31st Jan 2005, 19:57
Mods

I understand freedom of speech etc but please make this disrespectful little tw@t go away:mad:

DELETE THE THREAD PLEASE..............in the circumstances I am extremely dissapointed I even have to ask:rolleyes:

What moron merged these threads........page after page of respect for lost friends now tainted by the inane postings of "moose tw@t"..........I am utterly astounded!!!

all spelling mistakes are "df" alcohol induced

Polite note:

This moron merged the posts. Something we always do as a matter of fact. However, that doesn't stop us removing disrespectful posts or those that are inane or just plain insensitive. To prove the point I have spent the past 20 minutes or so doing that and I will continue to do so. PPP

Whipping Boy's SATCO
31st Jan 2005, 19:58
moosp, "inappropriate" is about the kindest word that springs to mind. Over 72000 viewings of this post say more than enough. Now please go away.

EESDL
31st Jan 2005, 19:58
If there isn't enough KEO for you guys in your final resting place, I shall bring some up with me when I see you again.
Remember:
It's not how fast you get there, but how you get there.
Keep on Truckin'
RIP

PS. In case it's been forgotten, MOOSP you are a TW4T

FatBaldChief
31st Jan 2005, 20:01
Why have these two topics been merged? True heart felt messages now mixed with ramblings of an insensitive idiot.
Shame on you PPRUNE

Edited:
PPRUNE thank you for deleting that moosp idiot's views. I am ashamed that the human race can sometimes be so very low. That said, these threads should never have been merged.

:*

KPax
31st Jan 2005, 20:09
I sit in the tower each day and watch you guys and talk to you. I have no words to help you. We are a family and it is at times like these that we find out that we have something special. My sincere condolences to all who have lost someone. moosp go away and let us grieve in peace.

Arty
31st Jan 2005, 20:09
moosp

I think your thread and post has thankfully been deleted by someone more sensitive than you.

If you think that pages of condolences are 'over the top' and that military aircrew should expect this sort of thing to happen, then please come to Lyneham and explain yourself to the hundreds of grieving relatives, friends and workmates.

In the meantime go away and never come back.

I would like to add my condolences to the (thankfully) expanding list.

BEagle
31st Jan 2005, 20:14
I think that an apology from whoever it was who chose to merge these 2 threads would be appropriate.

Regrettably it has caused considerable and wholly avoidable ill-feeling and has detracted totally from the sentiments of the original thread.

Itsrainingagain
31st Jan 2005, 20:21
It feels inadequate but...

God Bless Boys, Fly High.

(An ATC Friend)

RonRandom
31st Jan 2005, 20:24
I was in Kuwait over the weekend when I heard this tragic news. My thoughts are with the Lyneham families and crews, and let's not forget the British Army loss too.

God speed brothers.

PPRuNe Pop
31st Jan 2005, 20:28
I disagree BEags. Everyone has a right to post. It is when they make posts such as those I have dealt with that have to be shown the door. To have removed the thread altogether would have deprived the senstitive posters their rights and that WOULD be wrong.

As ex mil, and with some super friends at Lyneham, I feel the hurt too and I do not propose letting idiots on this particular thread.

A_Line
31st Jan 2005, 20:29
I, like many of the others posting on this forum have great sympathy for the family and friends of yesterdays tragedy, but lets not get sidetracked by certain "jerks" ie MOOSP, who want to hijack this forum for their own entertainment, before you reply to these posts read the warning on the bottom of every page,

As these are anonymous forums the origins of the contributions may be opposite to what may be apparent. In fact the press may use it, or the unscrupulous, to elicit certain reactions.,

adr
31st Jan 2005, 20:54
Those trying their best to wait in hope and patience to hear about particular individuals they know, may wish to know that at or after 1200Z tomorrow, Tuesday, the casualty list is expected to appear here (http://www.operations.mod.uk/telic/casualties.htm).

adr

Farfrompuken
31st Jan 2005, 21:10
Deepest symapthies to all families, friends and collegues involved. Awaiting the publication of names with dread.

Godspeed

Always_broken_in_wilts
31st Jan 2005, 21:14
PPP

Apologies for the "moron" remark and very glad to see you cleaning out the trash...........thankyou.

M609
31st Jan 2005, 21:17
Sincere condolences from the ATC team at Bardufoss, a tragic loss for sure.

RIP

heights good
31st Jan 2005, 21:20
MOOSP i think i get the thrust of your post and i hope it was not meant to be as offensive as it came across. Im not getting angry just a bit bewildered at your post. The only way i can really get you to understand just what it was that has managed to wind people up is to put it into a civilian context. Apologies if your ex military but i could not work that out from you profile.

Lets set the scene, you apply too be an RAF pilot, you get selected to go forward for selection tests, you meet lots more guys doing the same. You get chatting, find out you have the same interests, hobbies, from the same town, went to school with some of them. You do you selection (4 days of pure hell with your new mates.) 2 weeks later an envelope arrives, you open it, you have passed, you wildest dream from when you were 5 has just came true.

You pitch up for your basic officer training and who is there with you, its your 3 new mates from selection, good a friendly face. For 6 months your new mates now become your best mates having been through hell and back several times and always within shouting distance of you new mates for 6 months solid. You have been away some weekends to visit your civilian friends back home along with your new friends. Old friends dont understand about the RAF and it weird ways, but there still your friends.

Anyway you graduate as a shiny new officer, you get the drunkest you have ever been in your life with your new mates who know exactly what you have been through the last 6 months. Now the start of flying training, but its ok your new mates are there with you.

First the groundschool and crazy teachings about stuff that is so boring, not too worry you have every weekend off to party with the lads. So friday comes, its happy hour and you all get very happy before going into town to show the lady folk how happy you are. The end of the night comes you all end up going back to camp, some alone some with new lady friends. Morning comes, you dont feel so happy, all the stories from the night before get out. Male bonding in the pub nursing some unhappy heads begins, by 7pm your ready to go again, this time 1 of your friends meets a lady he likes on the lads night out. Its monday before you know it time for flying training, some of you struggle at the weird skill that is known as aviating. A few weeks later you all go solo, some happy juice is consumed after the day is over, you all feel like real pilots now. another year has gone and your getting streamed, luckily you get streamed the same as you mates.Your friends from back home dont really have anything in common with you anymore, you speak less and less till you drift apart.

Now its off to the next stage of flying, just time for some lads holidays in between and a few adventure training courses. You start flying at your next stage of training, but now you have faced some very scary foreign women, skydiving, lots of beer and some scuba diving with the lads, life is pretty rosey for you all. Again more stress with more and more demanding check rides with your mates, another year gone and you have all passed. You are now real pilots with wings and everything. ! of your mates is so elated he proposes to his girlfriend who has stuck by him through 2 years of hell for him and just as bad for her having a part time boyfriend sometimes.

Time for the operational conversion unit, time to learn exactly what it is that you were meant to be doing for the last 2.5- 3.5 yrs operational flying. This is the most demanding part of your flying training. you all struggle with it but all of you manage to get out the other end successfully. Eventually after what seems like a life time you all get posted to your first real squadrons. For the first time you end up on different squadrons but the same aircraft type.

Your best mates in the world are now on the other side of the airfield. Its okay though it just means that you have more excuses for mischief with the guys seeing as they are after all on the 2nd best squadron after yours. After being on the squadron a year you now officially are able to go to war and are combat ready. Its taken between 4 and 5 years to just be able to go away into the big bad world as a big boy.

Still no time to worry silly things like war your the best man at your mates wedding. Its the best wedding you have ever been to. The bride thinks your great and puts up with all your childish carry on that you and her hubby have got up too over the years. She is like a sister to you, helps you remember your mums birthday etc. etc. another years or 5 passes, you both have settled into job really well your both married, your wives are best friends as well. Every year you have been away on a couples holiday, you do EVERYTHING together, for 10yrs you and your mate have been joined at the hip. This year your mate tells you that they cant afford to go on a holiday this year, why? Twins are on there way, you are almost as excited as your mate, to top it all he wants you to be the godfather!!

2 months to go and that detachment that has been running for 2 years now has come round again, your mate is off to iraq, again. You have a few beers the friday before he goes, you bid him fairwell and tell him to try and not top his tan up too much. You get a few e-mails, asking how his wife is getting on, any gossip from the sqn, him telling you its so sunny and warm, wish you were here etc. etc.

"NEWSFLASH----- RAF aircraft crashes"

Your best friend in the world is now dead!!!!!!!!!

No warning, no last goodbye

Now civilian flying is a job, you pitch up monday to friday. Dont know how many kids half of the guys you work beside have never mind their names or how old they are. At the end of the day you go home. You dont Eat, sleep, work and play with the same guys 24/7. Its a TOTALLY, TOTALLY different environment and job. On a day to day basis you are doing things that would get civilian pilots thrown in jail for years if they done it because its so dangerous.

You can easily move to another job whenever you decide things are not going how you like. You dont have to implicitally trust the guy next to you in the same way a military pilot does. Daily we make decisions that can kill ourselves and everybody onboard hence the military bond, ask some of your pilots where they find there was a better bond and where the had that real feeling of true friendship, the military or civilian flying.

I hope this goes some way to try and explain why we feel so much loss for these guys, its not just family in the sense of wife and kids, but the bigger and sometimes more understanding aircrew family who really and truly feel the loss as well. I never knew any of the guys who unfortunately never beat the clock......... but, i really do feel a true and deeply sad loss for my aircrew mates from Lyneham.

RIP guys

The Gorilla
31st Jan 2005, 21:21
The moderators did what they had to do and with good speed, thanks guys.

Now lets get the thread back on track..

To absent friends....

Mirkin About
31st Jan 2005, 22:02
Pards ,
you would sit just behind me or stand right next to me as we both felt the joy of the labours of Hercules a smile never far from your lips.

Godspeed my friend.

sumps
31st Jan 2005, 22:04
To all the families and friends my condolences.

Thanks tonight to the station commander of RAF Lyneham for the invite to all ranks to the O's Mess for the wake in honour of one our depated departed team.
As a techie who knew one of the GEs fairly well - we all said tonight "there but for the grace of go I"

Faith and team work.

It says on our web site at RAF Lyneham that we are team Lyneham - WE ARE. So now we must stick together and with the support of true friends in side the mob and those in the know out side show support and faith for those who have lost.

We the techies, in our hearts, will keep a hangar door open and a candle burning in their memory.

Sumps

Harri2000
31st Jan 2005, 22:15
My Heart and Hopes go to those left behind, the Families and Friends of those courageous servicemen/women just doing another days work.

juliet
31st Jan 2005, 22:16
catch ya later guys

jockspice
31st Jan 2005, 22:18
Heights Good
You said it all there - brought a tear to my eye with memories of other departed friends.:{

Deepest condolences to all at Lyneham and especially to the families and friends.

November4
31st Jan 2005, 22:23
Deepest sympathies for the family and friends.

As said before it's a team effort at Lyneham and proud to have been part of that team for many years

Little Badger
31st Jan 2005, 22:24
Only the luckiest of men have ever had the pleasure to fly ALBERT, these men and their courage shall never be forgotten.....

lampeterexile
31st Jan 2005, 22:28
As a herc man, RIP guys. My thoughts are with you and your families.

Twin Rotor Fun
31st Jan 2005, 22:53
Per Ardua to those absent tonight and my deepest sympathies to the family and friends left behind.

adr
31st Jan 2005, 23:04
For whatever it's worth, and humbly offered in the hope it might express something for someone:

http://tinypic.com/1iea7t

Feel free to share, hotlink, or download for use as you see fit for any non-commercial purpose. http://tinypic.com/1iea7t

Thank you to those who do not share the Christian faith for your patience and tolerance.

adr

[Edit 1: specified non-commercial use. Edit 2: added ref to hotlinking.]

Funkletrumpet
1st Feb 2005, 00:12
My thoughts go out to the families and friends of the 10.

...sleep well brothers, sleep well....

Speed of Sound
1st Feb 2005, 00:38
adr

You shouldn't have to instinctively apologise for posting Christian messages here. This was still a Christian nation the last time I checked - not a Sikh or Muslim one.

And the last time I checked this was a world-wide forum so what gives you the right to impose 'your' religion on it?

SoS

Jackonicko
1st Feb 2005, 01:08
SoS,

Like you, I was uncomfortable with the "You shouldn't have to instinctively apologise for posting Christian messages here. This was still a Christian nation the last time I checked - not a Sikh or Muslim one."

I thought we were a tolerant, inclusive, multi-cultural nation, and looking at Church attendance figures, Christian is one thing we're not.....

But ADR is hardly imposing his views he could scarcely be more polite, sensitive and apologetic about the prayers he's offered.

And I suspect that those prayers may be of some real comfort to the bereaved, so where's the harm?

fergineer
1st Feb 2005, 02:09
Having lost one of my best mates in 193 I sit here downunder dreading the loss of another, sympathies to all families and Lyneham members.............from an ex 24 and 30 guy

MrWoollie
1st Feb 2005, 07:25
Pards

Flew together many times on C130E's. A wonderful Nav and a fabulous guy.

Condolences and best wishes to K and all the other families of those involved.

MrW

jwcook
1st Feb 2005, 08:55
My deepest sympathies to all involved.

John

Gouabafla
1st Feb 2005, 08:57
To those who serve in my name and for my safety: thanks folks for being there.

My thoughts and prayers are with the family and friends of those who are lost.

From a British tax payer.

small4
1st Feb 2005, 09:33
Left Lyneham 15 years ago having spent most of my military flying career on the Herc.

Sitting here writing this with a tear in my eye makes me realise that the bonds so aptly related by 'heights good' never die.

RIP guys and my utter heart felt condolences to your families and loved ones.

small4

Late (very) of 48, 30 and 24.

antipodean alligator
1st Feb 2005, 10:12
Pards,

You were a true blue 110% Top Bloke. I shall always remember our times dressing props on Thirsty-seven!

My heartfelt condolences go out to those who you and your crew have left behind, as well as to those of both the RAF and our own Albert communities who have lost such great friends and workmates.

Rest assured that your sacrifice will not be in vain......Somehow we will all sort out this $@#&fight that has been created

:sad:

4Prop
1st Feb 2005, 10:14
Just like to add my heart felt condolences to all those before me to those left behind.
I left lyneham 5 years ago and have lost touch with many good people always try to follow any news stories involving Albert.
Even when you've left theAircrew family it still hits you hard when something like this happens.

Andy Ex LXX Air Eng

rafwife
1st Feb 2005, 10:26
I'm just an RAF wife who cares. For the wives and children who have just lost their best friends, I send my deepest sympathy...

glum
1st Feb 2005, 10:31
Not ashamed to say that I toasted them, then cried last night.

Good men taken in bad times...

Jordan D
1st Feb 2005, 10:39
I'm a student, and have no understanding of the real-RAF world, but I want to offer my condolences to all the others given here, and to offer my thanks that these guys and girls have done a honourable job, defending the lives of many, when told to go there.

May you Rest In Peace, and may God have mercy on your souls.

Jordan D

B4ME
1st Feb 2005, 10:43
I said goodbye to best friends last year after the Marham crash. Even after 18 years and too many funerals to count, it still hurts. My heartfelt condolences to all the families and friends left behind. .......and to you guys, wherever you are now, rest in peace, I'll raise a glass to you and smile at some of the antics we got up to.

Block4 ME

16 blades
1st Feb 2005, 11:44
Names just released by MoD.

God bless, RIP

16B

Spacer
1st Feb 2005, 11:46
I was so very sorry to have to start the thread, and I would just like to say (having heard the names of the news) that my thoughts and prayers are with all the families and those in the wider family.

Per Ardua...

bad livin'
1st Feb 2005, 11:48
I don't think they're done updating the page just yet.

What a horrible day for their families.

SmilingKnifed
1st Feb 2005, 11:51
Smudge, so many good times, such a tragic end to them.

You've done your bit mate, you can rest easy now. To all those still there, come home safe soon guys.

Thoughts with the families.

Daysleeper
1st Feb 2005, 11:56
http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30000-1169497,00.html

thoughts with the families

hobie
1st Feb 2005, 11:57
Sky News .....

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30000-1169497,00.html

The 10 service personnel killed have been named as Squadron Leader Patrick Marshall, Flight Lieutenant David Stead, Flight Lieutenant Andrew Smith, Flight Lieutenant Paul Pardoel, Master Engineer Gary Nicholson, Chief Technician Richard Brown, Flight Sergeant Mark Gibson, Sergeant Robert O'Connor, Corporal David Williams and Acting Lance Corporal Steven Jones.

:(

cargosales
1st Feb 2005, 11:59
A tragic waste of true professionals.

I have flown on Albert many times, including with 47, but did not have the priviledge of knowing those involved in this tragedy.

My heartfelt thoughts and deepest sympathies to their families, friends and colleagues

CS

Skeleton
1st Feb 2005, 11:59
God Bless Them.

Pete Begley
1st Feb 2005, 12:05
"For the guys on XV179"

They came in the evening, then, and found Jonathan gliding peaceful and alone through his beloved sky. The two gulls that appeared at his wings were pure as starlight, and the glow from them was gentle and friendly in the high night air. But most lovely of all was the skill with which they flew, their wingtips moving a precise and constant inch from his own.

Without a word, Jonathan put them to his test, a test that no gull had ever passed. He twisted his wings, slowed to a single mile per hour above stall. The two radiant birds slowed with him, smoothly, locked in position. They knew about slow flying.

He folded his wings, rolled and dropped in a dive to a hundred ninety miles per hour. They dropped with him, streaking down in flawless formation. At last he turned that speed straight up into a long vertical slow-roll. They rolled with him, smiling.

He recovered to level flight and was quiet for a time before he spoke. "Very well," he said, "who are you?"

"We're from your Flock, Jonathan. We are your brothers." The words were strong and calm. "We've come to take you higher, to take you home."

"Home I have none. Flock I have none. I am Outcast. And we fly now at the peak of the Great Mountain Wind. Beyond a few hundred feet, I can lift this old body no higher."

"But you can Jonathan. For you have learned. One school is finished, and the time has come for another to begin." As it had shined across him all his life, so understanding lighted that moment for Jonathan Seagull.

They were right. He could fly higher, and it was time to go home.

"See you in the future guys"

paddyboy
1st Feb 2005, 12:08
Beautiful...

RIP

PPRuNe Pop
1st Feb 2005, 12:17
Indeed it is.

God bless and keep you.

PPP

beamer
1st Feb 2005, 12:19
To Gary and Gibbo

You would'nt remember me - it was a long time ago but thanks for a lot of smiles in your early days............not forgotten

Tango Bravo

Flypuppy
1st Feb 2005, 12:23
Sqn Ldr Patrick Marshall
Flt Lt David Stead,
Flt Lt Andrew Smith,
Flt Lt Paul Pardoel,
Master Engineer Gary Nicholson,
Ch Tech Richard Brown,
Flt Sgt Mark Gibson,
Sgt Robert O'Connor,
Cpl David Williams
Acting L/Cpl Steven Jones.

God Bless.

Doctor Cruces
1st Feb 2005, 12:26
I am deeply saddened by this happening. I was a Training Co-Ord at LYE 89-93 and have an abiding respect for the crews who fly the Herc fleet, they are among the finest I ever worked with.

Sincerest condolences to the families and RAF Lyneham in General.

LS

moosemaster
1st Feb 2005, 12:41
To Gibbo and the guys,
Once met, never forgotten. You will be sadly missed by all who knew you.

To those at Lye,
Words can't even come close..

To those still in theatre,
Thinking of you who have been left behind. Join you all for a toast soon.

To adr,
Thank you!

Moose
Ex 47, 24 & 30.

500days2do
1st Feb 2005, 13:06
A desperate loss to us all.

Wayitup
1st Feb 2005, 13:07
:( For Gary and Gibbo....the memories I have of serving with you both I will cherish....gone but NEVER forgotten.
God speed to two true Ascoteers...RIP

Roger Ex 47 & 24 Sqn ALM

scroggs
1st Feb 2005, 13:21
I didn't know the others, but Gary and Gibbo were mates from way back. I left the fold some years ago now, but it hurts just as much as if I were still serving. Peri and I both cherish our memories of Lyneham and the many happy times we shared there - in my case, over 18 years. Rest in peace, guys - I promise to suffer an immense hangover in your honour!

Scroggs

visibility3miles
1st Feb 2005, 13:28
I'm not Air Force, I'm not military, I'm not a Brit, and I'm not a journalist.

Nonetheless, I am sorry to hear about the crash, and I wish the best to the families.

FFP
1st Feb 2005, 13:36
Knew Smudger well, a finer officer and pilot you could not meet.

He was liked by all that knew him, a really nice guy.

Words cannot express the loss felt by this tragedy.

My thoughts to all those families and friends at this time.

whiz
1st Feb 2005, 13:38
"Gone From My Sight" by Henry Scott Holland

I am standing upon the seashore. A ship at my side spreads
her white sails to the ocean. She is an object of beauty and strength.
I stand and watch her until at length she hangs like a speck of
white cloud just where the sea and sky come to mingle with each other.

Then someone at my side says: "There, she is gone!" "Gone where?"
Gone from my sight. That is all.

Her diminished size is in me, not in her. And just at the moment
when someone at my side says: "There, she is gone!" there are
other other eyes watching her coming, and other voices ready
to take up the glad shout: "Here she comes!".....
And that is dying.

RIP and godspeed fellas. Heartfelt thoughts to all friends and family

propulike
1st Feb 2005, 13:47
The following was posted by Scroggs on the Remembrance thread a couple of months ago. I've asked if I can repeat it here.

As he says : "I'll own up, it was written by me and my (then) 7 year old daughter after a long talk about the meaning of Remembrance Sunday, my own days in the RAF, and how she'd have felt if I'd gone away and not returned."

I was moved then, but now it really hits home.

Why did you die, Daddy, why did you die?
You said you'd be here tonight.
It's my birthday, Daddy, don't you remember?
The candles you were going to light?

You went away so long ago,
I can hardly remember your touch.
But I'll always feel, I'll always know,
The love we shared so much.

I remember your plane, Daddy, so big - so green
You were so proud, showing it to me.
It's in front of me now, Daddy, on the TV screen.
But you I can't see.

Mummy says we'll always remember you,
On this special day, though it's dark.
But where are you, Daddy, and why did you die?
And when will we next play in the park?

God bless boys. We'll do all we can for those left behind.

Where R We?
1st Feb 2005, 14:02
Scroggs, that is brilliant. Sums it up so well and has brought a tear to my eyes as I sit here in Trenchard thinking about what if it was my daughter telling that story....thankfully it isn't.

Condolences to all, again.

They will all be missed, RIP and I will be thinking of you.

GL

Ex Nav 47

Navaleye
1st Feb 2005, 15:18
Approaching 100k views, its good to see that at least some of the Great British Public (and beyond) still think of and respect our military. I hope the families canm take some crumb of comfort from this.

teeteringhead
1st Feb 2005, 15:28
Over 100000 now in less than 50 hours. A measure of (at least) interest, and (almost certainly) sympathy and concern. Humble thanks...

Tron049
1st Feb 2005, 15:30
Whether at midnight or at noon,
Through mist or open sky,
Eagles of freedom, all our hearts
Are up with you on high.

My Sincere condolences to the families and friends.

Ex 24

Mach 2.2
1st Feb 2005, 15:36
See you boys at the big Happy Hour in the sky one day....

RIP

Huron Topp
1st Feb 2005, 15:50
Well Props and Scroggs...I'm in tears now. Thoughts that I hope my own daughter will never need.

WASALOADIE
1st Feb 2005, 15:57
May you all rest in peace.
Gary and Gibbo, shared a few good times with you both. Respect!

Dark Helmet
1st Feb 2005, 16:13
I don't normally reply to these topics; preferring to take time out by myself and reflect...

This time though, I want to reply but cannot think of any adequate words...

So I will simply say that I (as an ex-Chief) am truly and deeply saddened.

Pontius Navigator
1st Feb 2005, 16:13
Crashes have a nasty habit of happening to people you know. Was Andy Smith a nav by any chance?

I feel sick anyway but that could make it worse.

kippermate
1st Feb 2005, 16:14
My thoughts are with all at Lyneham, especially the families of those involved. Sad times.

Little Bee Eater,

I hope that you get the support that you deserve. We are not always as good as we should be with those not actually related with those involved in accidents. I hope things work out this time.

TheAscotShuffle
1st Feb 2005, 16:15
Guys,

I hope from where you're sitting now you have a clear view of how much you'll be missed and how much we respect the sacrifice you've made.

Was good working with you Bob and I'll be raising a glass to you tonight.

Heartfelt condolences to the families of crew and pax.

A temporarily absent Herc mate

TAS
XXX

Pontius Navigator
1st Feb 2005, 16:31
Thanks to those who PMd. Not the same man, a relief but still very very sad.

LoeyDaFrog
1st Feb 2005, 16:34
I've just got seen the list of the crew lost, and despite posting my initial condolences when I first got told by a mate still at LYE, it has just hit home. I'm not aircrew, but spent two and a half very enjoyable years on the joint ops desk that supported both K sqns. I've lost friends before to flying, but whatever the link, it is still hard when the worst happens. My thoughts are with the families and friends of those I was priviledged to serve with.
God's speed and God Rest Your Souls

Didntdoit
1st Feb 2005, 17:07
As an ex-Duvet/Re-location Consultant, one is saddened. Whenever this sort of news hits, you hope and pray that it is not someone you know whilst at the same time really feeling for the families that have the worst possible news.

I was on 126 IOT so therefore, if it was the same Steady from "Slaphead" Flight, the remembrance will be doubled tonight. One thing you always take with you from Service is the memories of the characters and the times and the places. So sad that some characters are no longer with us.

Keep the faith.:(

jvance
1st Feb 2005, 17:13
Our thoughts and prayers are with the crew, their families, and everyone at Lyneham.

JV
Ex 47

Slartibardfarst
1st Feb 2005, 17:28
Having just returned from Basrah, I would like to pass on the thoughts and prayers from all out there, to all of the families concerned.

The mood of the whole detachment has been affected by this sudden loss of some of the most jovial, best natured airmen that it has been my privilege to serve alongside.

I am at a loss as to how to best show my sympathy for those left behind. All I can do is do my best to assist in the upcoming investigation when I get back out there. :(

TalkingBallast
1st Feb 2005, 17:29
Words just about fail me at times like these but I must say a few words of condolence. My God, how I feel for the families, friends and partners. Over the last few years I have hoped against hope that this day would never come, but I guess we all knew it might. Flown with many of the guys - massive respect for them all. Happy memories, sad, sad loss.

RiP

ghost-rider
1st Feb 2005, 17:42
Regardless of the fact that I'm ex RAF, my heartfelt sympathies go out to the families, friends and colleagues affected by this tragedy.

RIP Guys. You were heroes.

"We will Remember Them"

SCNS
1st Feb 2005, 17:49
Sorry I couldn't make it to the beers last night in the
Mess. A great bunch of guys to fly with and drink with. You will be sadly missed.

RIP

John.

BathWanderer
1st Feb 2005, 17:49
I'm not a pilot or in the military, just a one-time OASC candidate who ended up going in another direction. I lived in Wootton Bassett for a year or two and learned to love the Alberts on finals going past my kitchen window. I've moved to Bath since and regularly commute over Salisbury Plain where I usually get a grandstand view of them heading for home from who knows where.

Even with such a tenuous link, I've felt sick to my stomach ever since the news broke and my heartfelt condolences go out to all the family and friends of those involved. Please don't doubt that there are many people in the UK who do appreciate the RAF (and the Army and Navy too), and especially the less-glamorous part that is first-in, last-out and trundling overhead.

BathWanderer

Jerry Can
1st Feb 2005, 18:04
Our thoughts and heartfelt sympathy go out to all the families, colleagues and friends of the crew.

RIP gents.

Mr and Mrs Can

flipster
1st Feb 2005, 18:07
I, too, am ex-Lyneham and 47. I lost friends on XV193 and, during my time as a flt cdr, was so afraid that history could repeat itself.

I am totally flabberghasted and heartbroken. To lose such a great bunch of professional and respected guys will hurt the Sqn, the Stn and the Service as whole but, while Valhallah is richer, we that are left are so much poorer.

More importantly, all our thoughts and prayers are with their families and loved ones and I know everyone on the Sqn and the Station will rally round them and that support, however small, will be invaluable and, of course, rock solid.

God's strength, understanding and compassion to you all.

Flip Seal

MATZ
1st Feb 2005, 18:43
I have spent the day wondering if the names we were told matched the memories I had from a few years ago. I have just seen the pictures on the MOD website, and memories came flooding back of great times down route, and at Lyneham.

I knew some of them and I have had the pleasure of their company in many countries, and in many bars! I will certainly remember them for a long time to come. For those I did not know - I can say little, but I am certain they are in the best company.

Some of the very best people have been taken away from us. A very sad time indeed

My thoughts are with all involved.

MATZ

6foottanker
1st Feb 2005, 19:05
Smudge, I'll always remember the yellow chicken outfit with a smile.
I can imagine the sarky comments which you would no doubt have voiced over this forum. Sorry, but the world will be a lesser place without you.

A great loss, you and the rest of the crew will be sorely missed.

6'

Quazzi
1st Feb 2005, 19:05
Rest in peace gentlemen.

Such a sad loss, we will miss them dearly. Our thoughts and prayers are with the families.

dean and helen

SmilingKnifed
1st Feb 2005, 19:24
The yellow chicken, only slightly less striking than the leprachaun outfit (frequently used!).

I didn't think anything would make me smile today. But memories of costumes, bets on time spent in the snow in a tae-kwon-do suit and a notable incident of horse theft have at least given me a few things to drink to.

Nice one 6'

SVK
1st Feb 2005, 19:33
Don't forget Smudge's 'Cowboy Builder' or his 'Katherine Zebra Jones' costumes either!

I'm gonna miss bursting through his door to drag him to the bar, though I'm sure he watched last night's Monday Night Madness with a smile in his eyes and cocky one liner on his lips.

Cheers for the final round me old China-mate.

6foottanker - Check your PM's

Rhino power
1st Feb 2005, 19:40
R.I.P. gents, and condolences to the families and friends.

Raising a glass, RP.

Now a 'J' Bloke!!
1st Feb 2005, 19:57
To Gary,Gibbo and the guys...

We had laughs in the past.....Now it's tears in the present.

I'll never forget you guys, doing the job you always loved.

Rest easy, the 'Albert Family' will provide the comfort to those left behind.

Fly High to the great Crewroom in the Sky.

Thoughts and Condolences.
'J' Bloke.

sangiovese.
1st Feb 2005, 20:09
Rest easy, the 'Albert Family' will provide the comfort to those left behind.

Such a wonderfully thoughtful and positive phrase in such a sad time.

Bob Viking
1st Feb 2005, 20:24
Currently on holiday and found out by text from a mate back home.
A tragic loss.
I knew one of the guys and I for one will never forget his costumes (as mentioned previously). Blue Peter and the Yellow Chicken will remain with me forever!
Rest in peace guys.
BV.

Maple 01
1st Feb 2005, 20:29
Just a thought for the Squipper and eng guys

"We all wore Airforce blue"

And the Siggy too...

CommsBiff
1st Feb 2005, 20:51
Smudge,

You are my best friend. No friend did I ever trust, admire or love as much as you. I'm so sorry you missed the birth of our beautiful baby girl - I know you'd love her. I drank heartily on your bar book last night, wait a while and one day we'll drink heartily together on mine.

Our thoughts are with your family mate, as with the families of the other heroes you flew with.

I love you Pal,

Craig, Martine and Sophie.

truckiebloke
1st Feb 2005, 20:53
beautiful words ,craig,martine and sophie.

Blitzkrieg1
1st Feb 2005, 21:03
Sincerest sympathies to the families and friends of the guys, our thoughts and prayers are with you. Although I didn't know the crew, spent an agonising couple of days awaiting the names, as a few old mates are truckers.

It still hurts the wider aircrew family.

RIP Gents

leonard17F
1st Feb 2005, 21:04
from an (ex) French Navy Super-E driver,

My thoughts go to all the bereaved families in Lyneham, parents, spouses, children, babies...

This old Bordeaux wine glass is raised in your honor, but how much its taste is bitter tonight....

Godspeed, my fallen RAF and Army comrades !

On_The_Top_Bunk
1st Feb 2005, 21:55
I just had a look at the telic webby

http://www.operations.mod.uk/telic/casualties.

I'm not often moved to tears or emotion but seeing the names in print and the photos hit me enormously.

I did my first trip away from Lyneham with Gary back in 1983 for a week in Stornaway. I was gobsmacked as a young and impressionable techy. What a great character. The same goes for the other 4 guys I had the pleasure to work with. If I had to put together a nicer crew it would have been a difficult task.

2port
1st Feb 2005, 22:22
Worked with most of you, socialised with most of you, always had fun with you.
God Bless ALL of you.

2P (47/30/24)

Synthetic
1st Feb 2005, 23:17
Did some work on the Herc sims some years ago, and I know at least one of the names.

Rest in peace gentlemen

744P2
1st Feb 2005, 23:58
Just been flicking through my logbook. Gary Nic and Gibbo feature with such wonderful regularity. God bless you two and all your brave pals.

R

Lyn '88 - 98 LXX, 24, 57(R), LXX (again!)

Rotate
2nd Feb 2005, 02:49
All too often I sit here and say nothing, but when friends and colleagues are lost in such a tragic way I find I am at a loss for words. All that keeps popping into my head is something a friend once said to me...

"Do not mourn what you have lost because they have died,
Rejoice at what you have gained because they ever lived"

My most heartfelt condolences to all the families at this, their darkest hour. 47 Sqn and Lyneham will not be the same without these great characters. May you rest in peace.

3.16 litres
2nd Feb 2005, 03:38
Sincerest condolencies to the affected families, 47 Sqn and Lyneham.

Paddy, will never forget those great times in Germany and Norway - can't believe you'll not be around.

Gutted for everyone's loss.

Mad dog

Canadian Muppet
2nd Feb 2005, 04:41
From the guys who fly in the back, guided by our aircrew brothers and sisters.
We always respect you. We feel your loss as our loss. Our thoughts are with you all.

Per Ardua

fergineer
2nd Feb 2005, 05:52
I waited and now I know............rest in peace Gary and Gibbo.......a great loss to the fleet..........will always remember the good times..............

Rudolph Hucker
2nd Feb 2005, 06:44
Deepest condolences to the families from one of the guys at "London Control", Swanwick

RH
(once a pax on XV179 with 47 Sqn some years ago)

DesertDiver
2nd Feb 2005, 08:03
I am not RAF although my Uncle and my cousin were. However, I do live in the Middle East and I meet many serving personnel.

My condolences to all the families and colleagues touched by this tragic event. There are still many people out there who cherish and respect our armed forces and the sacrifices they make for us and our families.

Per Ardua ad Astra - anyone in or coming to DXB is welcome to come and raise a glass in remembrance with me.

Noise_Jammer
2nd Feb 2005, 08:06
I have felt sufficiently moved by this sad incident to register to post on here.
Although not in the military I have spent many hours on Alberts, particularly 179, over the last 5 years or so.
My thoughts and prayers are with those brave aviators and soldier who lost their lives doing what they loved, their families, friends, colleagues and the wider family at Lyneham.
God bless you.

Captain Kirk
2nd Feb 2005, 08:58
Deepest sympathy to all those touched by this tragedy; I feel your pain, having been too close, too often. It still hurts. Please take some comfort from the knowledge that your loved ones were part of a worthy endeavour, forged by men and women of conviction and courage. Forget the politics and the media angles: an entire nation took the first breath of freedom on Sunday – I hope that one day they will acknowledge their debt to the fallen. Per Ardua.

ranger703
2nd Feb 2005, 09:52
Have been reading the thread daily from my office in the Balkans and I am not too proud to say I have shed a few tears. From the Balkans and the many far flung places around the world,we respect and honour you guys greatly.

Deepest sympathy to all involved.

We salute you and your families.

Per ardua

WytonPJS
2nd Feb 2005, 10:06
Our deepest condolences to all those touched by this tragic loss. At times like this I count myself so fortunate to have had the opportunity to serve with so many characters at Lyneham and down-route - they will be greatly missed.

From one no longer serving Albert engineer and his long-suffering (but still serving) wife.

santiago15
2nd Feb 2005, 10:43
Andy P,

Fond memories of you rigged out in that yellow chicken suit. Regardless of the fancy dress theme you always seemed to wear the bloody thing.

I don't think I ever saw you without a smile on your face. A top guy who personified happiness.

It was a pleasure to have known you, and the world is a lesser place without you.

God bless

BootFlap
2nd Feb 2005, 10:57
To the families of all involved, my family and I wish to offer our heartfelt condolences. Words can not do justice to the grief you must be feeling, and I feel only a part of yours, but it is terrible nonetheless.

Take comfort in the kind words posted on this thread, I hope your pain eases with time. Our thoughts and prayers go out to you.

In sorrow, Bootflap and family.

'Keep a cold one ready for me boys.'

ranger703
2nd Feb 2005, 11:15
I hope there's a place, way up in the sky,
Where aircrew can go, when they have to die.
A place where a guy could buy a cold beer
For a friend and a comrade whose memory is dear.
A place where no doctor or lawyer could tread,
Nor a management -type would e'er be caught dead!
Just a quaint little place, kind of dark, full of smoke,
Where they like to sing loud, and love a good joke!
The kind of a place where a lady could go,
And feel safe and secure by the men she would know.
There MUST be a place where old aircrew go, when
Their wings become weary, when their airspeed gets low;
Where the whiskey is old, and the women are young,
And songs about flying and dying are sung.
Where you'd see all the fellows who'd "flown west" before,
And they'd call out your name, as you came thru the door,
Who would buy you a drink, if the thirst should be bad,
And relate to the others, "He was quite a good lad!"
And then thru the mist you'd spot an old guy
You had not seen for years, though he'd taught YOU to fly,
He'd nod his old head, and grin ear to ear,
And say, "Welcome, my son, I'm pleased you are here!
For this is the place where true flyers come,
When the battles are over, and the wars have been won;
We've come here at last, to be safe and afar,
From the government clerk, and the management czar,
Politicians and lawyers, the Feds and the noise,
Where all Hours are Happy, and these good ol' boys,
Can relax with a 'cool one', and a well deserved rest.."
"This is Heaven, my son: You've passed your last check

DUMPS
2nd Feb 2005, 11:18
So very very sad! Been here before ... several times ... not a truckie but feel the pain and loss. Thoughts to all hurting.

fill_n_d
2nd Feb 2005, 11:31
My condolences to all families and friends stricken by their tragic loss. I flew with Smudge a couple of times, an absolute diamond of a guy, as for Rich Brown and Bob O'Connor, countless times and both were an absolute credit to the GE fraternity, the others I knew in passing but one thing I knew implicitly they were all top operators and more importantly truly nice guys - for my part these guys are irreplaceable, but you will never be forgotten. RIP guys.

Phil

LXX ALM

Livin'life
2nd Feb 2005, 12:11
As an ex-LXX pilot who worked closely with many of these guys and having shed a tear or two reading these fine sentiments, I thought I'd add my own.

I lost my brother in similar circumstances several years ago, but I can assure that these fine guys are gone only in body. Their memory will live on in our hearts until it is our time to join them again. Its good to remember.
I knew Steady, Gary and Gibbo and spent many fine and fun times with them. Fond memories indeed.

My thoughts are with the families and friends.

HalloumiLounzaRoller
2nd Feb 2005, 13:33
Sincere condolences to all the families involved. Knew or flew with 4 of them at various times. The very best people to have by your side. May they all rest in peace.

I don't think a free drink could ever be as hard for me to swallow as that first pint in the Mess on Monday. Hopefully there won't be another quite as difficult.

Smudge - Your friends miss you. The corridor will be a lot quieter place without you, especially singing along really badly to Rapper's Delight at the top of your voice!

Load Gone
2nd Feb 2005, 13:52
Knew most of them - top blokes to a man.

Nearly 400 posts and 120,000 views in 3 days says it all.

RIP chaps.

LG(47)

xavieronassis
2nd Feb 2005, 15:11
I have many great memories from my time at Lyneham and an awful lot of them involved Steady and Gary. Two of lifes real characters. Gone but not forgotten.. Condolences to the families of all those involved.

Bonker

TacTrucker
2nd Feb 2005, 16:14
Having recently left the Squadron, it seems hard to imagine that we will never again hear Gary Nick's dulcit tones uttering "You monkey!" or see Pards setting off down the Bund Road well-lubricated on his bicycle.

However, having had the priviledge of knowing them during my last tour, the Squadron's loss is a fraction of that which these men's (not just Gary & Pards but Smudge, Steady and Gibbo) families will have to endure.

They were not only the finest aircrew, but were also dedicated fathers, loving partners and good friends. My thoughts are with all who knew them.

You'll be missed guys; I'll see you in a better place one day! Keep a Guinness (and maybe a even a Mince-Pie) on ice for me.

teawhite1
2nd Feb 2005, 16:58
I can't really add much more to the comments and condolences already posted. All will be sadly missed by anybody fortunate enough to have shared a flightdeck or sun-downer with them outside a basher in Akrotiri.
Gibbo will always be remembered by me as a devoted husband and father, always sporting a large grin. Never afraid to try a demon shot on the golf course. Didnt work more often then not, but gave myself and Tom H a right old laugh.

God bless to all.:(

Right here right now
2nd Feb 2005, 18:52
RIP guys

Went through IOT with Andy, never without a smile on his face or at a party without the chicken suit. Don't forget to take it with you.

skodasfinesthour
2nd Feb 2005, 19:43
Andy,

Haven't seen you for years...but will always remember you as a top bloke, always quick with the one liners! Out of all the sadness, remembering that chicken suit (and "Jimmy Hat" antics) will make us all smile.

RIP Guys. :(

benmover
2nd Feb 2005, 19:49
I am a Mover who doesn't know the people who lost their lives. I have been deeply touched to read all the condolences. It also reaffirms my faith in the British public who do know and respect the Armed Forces.
As an 'outsider' it is clear that these guys were and are something special to all who knew them. They obviously touched the lives of everone they met and in the traditions of the Forces were 'proper characters' and true professionals.
I feel so sorry for their families and especially their children. Your Daddies did not die in vain, please try and be strong for your Mummys.
I lost a good ex-mover friend of mine back in 1993 and this brings back memories of his sad windswept funeral in Scotland.
Never will I complain about aircrew again!
My best wishes to all at Lyneham and God Speed to all the guys who lost their lives.
Love and best wishes Benmover

skaterboi
2nd Feb 2005, 19:58
I have read every single post on here so far, and to say I have been extremely saddened by events is an understatement. As a current LXX member knowing Smudge (but sadly not the other guys) was a privilege.

Goodbye fella, you were taken well before your time. Your nutter biker stories and car vs bike banter will live with me always. I was honoured to have a drink on your tab for the last time and hope you're looking down on us all right now.

Strobin Purple
2nd Feb 2005, 20:04
Held a memorial service at sundown this evening at the crew's last point of departure courtesy of our American colleagues. There were just the few resident RAF but the chapel/tent was packed with USAF as well . Very moving.
RIP fellas.

MrsCarlisle
2nd Feb 2005, 20:40
Heartfelt condolences to all the families, friends,and everyone at Lyneham. As a wife of Herc Nav (presently on ground tour) can not dare to imagine the pain of the wives/girlfiends and children.
God bless you all.

Not on Hercs
2nd Feb 2005, 22:05
I had the privilege to teach "Steady", work with Gary both on 47 and the OCU for many years and of course the inimitable Gibbo. Unfortunately I never really new Smudge or the Nav but reading these posts I've certainly missed knowing really good guys.

On a lighter note, in honour of one of Gary's finest moments when relaxing, I tried about 4 drops of Tabasco but could not emulate his yam sing of the whole bottle. Good mates who will be missed.

My sincerest feelings of sorrow and condolences to all the families of all the deceased.

US Herk
3rd Feb 2005, 02:15
Got the devastating news after a 26hr travel day, then lay in my hotel room unable to sleep. Now stuck on detachment in the states & unable to share my loss with anyone in person - Of the crew, I only knew Steady & Gibbo, but my heart goes out for all the rest & their friends, families, & the Lyneham community.

I've read through all of this in one sitting & not ashamed to say I'm choking back the tears.

Just going through some of the few pics I have on my laptop here with me - pics of Chaff-Head & some of us playing uckers at camp Red during BLEED & Gibbo, me, & Gaulty wearing our horrible orange & zebra "Silk Fist" shirts at Red Flag...

All the best, gents - we'll see you soon!

k1rb5
3rd Feb 2005, 10:44
I never had the pleasure of meeting Smudge. I have been off work for a while through ill health. From reading these posts I am sorry I didn't get the opportunity.

Gibbo, Steady and Pards. Bob and Rich. Some good times had to be remembered always.

Gary was a legend. An excellent boss who led by example. A lesson to us all. Lots of people knew the social side of Gary. Some of you will not have known the compassionate side of him. He called my wife (who's pregnant) when I was in hospital and offered to mow the lawn, do the shopping, wash the car, put the hoover round. That is a measure of the man. That will stay with me forever. Gary Nicholson.

RIP lads

OKOC
3rd Feb 2005, 12:12
Whatever the cause it wasn't unprofessionism that got you I'm sure.

I had the PLEASURE of doing a flat-bed rotation to Monte Pleesante with Smudge (my swan song last year) and I will never forget him and our antics in Recife on the way back. What a laugh we had.

Smudge you were so good for a newcomer to the fleet and you will be missed hugely, especially your crazy Skeggy humour and almost unbelievable biking stories!

So long mate.

OC 47 SQN
3rd Feb 2005, 14:02
To all,

I and all of the Sqn personnel have been strengthened by your offers of condolence and have taken much heart through the reading of your light-hearted stories. Words can never replace the extraordinary talented men we have lost but your support means a great deal to us; knowing that others share our feelings is comforting. On behalf of all the men and women of 47 Sqn I would like to offer you my thanks for your support.

Nili nomen roboris omen

OC 47 Sqn

chippy63
3rd Feb 2005, 14:05
Very nicely said.

oldfella
3rd Feb 2005, 15:04
Knew, flew with, laughed with and at, drank with and cried for the guys we lost.

A sad time but there are bad times still to come for those left behind. When we bring the guys home and get into the time of the funerals it will hit their friends and families just as hard. (It will also be a time of lots of media coverage, some good, some bad).

Feel sad, don't be embarrassed to laugh or to cry but look after those around you in the times to come.

Good friends lost, wing forever folded

Airdrop Charlie
3rd Feb 2005, 15:30
I never had the pleasure of meeting the 47 Sqn guys, but my sincere condolences go to all at Lyneham. However, Paddy Marshall was a friend and colleague, and he will be sorely missed by all at HQ STC.

Brian Dixon
3rd Feb 2005, 17:04
Sir,
very kind words indeed, thank you.

Your words not only clearly display the sense of loss you are all feeling, but also the immense pride you have in your Squadron.

You will have some difficult times ahead as your colleagues return home. Stand tall and be very proud of them. As you saulte their homecoming please do not feel as though you are alone. There will be many with you in spirit, saluting them too.

The country shares your pride in your people, and also your loss.

Respectfully,
Brian

Top Bunk Tester
3rd Feb 2005, 18:15
It has taken this long for the tears to stop and allow me to post. I had the privilege to work with Gary in the Sim for several years and also knew Gibbo well. I only knew the rest of the crew in passing from Guinness & Mince Pies and a few nights in the Gordon Biersch. I remember well the demise of XV193 and the loss that we all felt then, taxied out behind them on that fateful day. Somehow this all seems so much worse.

I am proud to count Gary & Gibbo amongst my friends, they were the epitome of an Eng and a Loadie. If anyone needed a role model, professionally or socially then they needed to look no further than this fine pair of SNCOs. Obie summed it up so well in his address I feel I can add no more. The obituaries on the Lyneham website are also written magnificently, with dignity and from the heart.

To the families of all on board, to all of EGDL, I share your grief. Be proud of them as they were proud of you.

Although this is probably being addressed as I type I would like to make a plea to the powers that be at HQSTC. I know there are certain legal requirements to be fulfilled when repatriating casualties to the UK and the precedence has been set, but please do not let this crew suffer the ignominy of being returned to UK in a C17 into BZN (No disrespect to 99 Sqn, you do a fine job) PLEASE allow 47 Sqn the honour of carrying their fallen comrades home on their final sortie into Lyneham, by the means that would have been chosen by the crew themselves ….. an Albert. I am sure that this would be appreciated and needed by all those related to the crew and by all their extended family at Lyneham.

AH Ex FE 30 & 57

Brian Webster
3rd Feb 2005, 20:23
I knew Gary and Gibbo well and counted Gibbo amongst my closest friends. There is little I can add to the expressions of sadness and grief that have been posted here already, and I can hardly bring myself to type these words...
I will always treasure the memories of the times we shared and I am eternally grateful to have been part of their lives. I will miss them both with pain and tears, and remember them with a smile.

I offer my condolences and sympathy to the family and friends of every one lost in this tragedy.

Brian Webster
Ex 24/30

4fitter
3rd Feb 2005, 21:05
OC 47 Sqn - We have "spoken" and I know that you're intentions will be for those left behind. Your words to us all are both dignified and in keeping with the honour of commanding 47 Sqn.

I support TBT and, if not already being done, I would like to add my support to an EGDL homecoming.

The Lyneham family can do it for the boys. They deserve nothing less.

Ice-a-Cream
3rd Feb 2005, 21:11
No words to adequately express my own loss or add to the words that have so thoughtfully been said above. My life is better for knowing some of the men on this crew and having the honor of flying with them for just a few years. Mrs. Ice-a-Cream joins me in offering any support we can to our family and friends at Lyneham, and look forward to seeing you even in these difficult circumstances.

Godspeed friends - "It'll be alright."

treadigraph
3rd Feb 2005, 22:48
I'm not a pilot, I've never been in the forces and I didn't know any of the crew lost in this tragedy, but the recollections in this thread has turned these guys into real people that I really wish I had been privileged to know. Usually , such losses are just vague names in the paper.

My respect to them and also to all of you who have been so positive.

Treadders

kevlar
3rd Feb 2005, 22:52
Dave, Gary and Mark - thinking of you. You will be sadly missed.

Sincerest condolences to all the families and to serving members of 47 Sqn at this very difficult time.

GJC

NILI NOMEN ROBORIS OMEN

Paracab
3rd Feb 2005, 23:25
Civvy speaking here, I hope you don't mind.

I have been reading this thread since the terrible day of the accident and although I do not know the gentleman involved, I would like to add my sympathies to the families and friends left behind.

I am immensely proud of all armed forces, particuarly the RAF, I'm sure a lot of Joe Public are too.

You will be remembered on civvy street Guys, RIP.

What y'need is a saw
4th Feb 2005, 02:53
To the families:

Words never seem to be enough, but sympathies to all - such a terrible loss.

To Steady:

Will miss you, chaffhead, you were perhaps the rudest kid I knew but undoubtedly with a heart of pure gold and a manor that never really offended. The finest pilot bar none.

Stay safe at your new cruising Alt and perhaps we'll all meet up someday. Don't worry for M and the girls, it's a matter of honour now.

We'll never forget those dets - when it was always fun, so I'll be having that glass of chardonnay and thinking about you as the sun sets over Vegas.....
......Not sure we'll crack 11 bottles this time tho'

To the boys of 179:

Proud to have known and operated with some of you, feel sure the rest were equally as sound. God speed.

To the politicians (and I know this is not a time to feel bitterness, but):

Maybe the time has come to rethink your attitudes towards those personnel within our Armed Forces whose proffesionalism, committment and clarity of action provides you with your overseas victories.

The job we will always do without question, the lack of adequate kit - we cope with, the limiting ROE - we adapt to, even the constant downsizing - we attempt to rationalise.

But I find sickening, the sanctimonius and tastelessly phoney way in which you choose to mention those who have answered your call to freedom by paying the ultimate sacrifice, and particularly the burden that their families suffer ever after.

Perhaps some detailed research into the type of people they were may provide you with a clear definition of true 'moral backbone'.

Take a lesson from the likes of HRH Princess Anne, who at least met the situation with a dignified and heartfelt responce.

To 47 Sqn, Particularly the Flt:

The job you continue to carry out does make a difference, it's just that sometimes the price is far too high. So very sorry for your loss, but remember that the Flt will prevail. Walk tall fellas and long live the Fox

I_stood_in_the_door
4th Feb 2005, 09:02
RIP guys. Be safe always.

47 AD

Sympo
4th Feb 2005, 10:15
Andy P - legend.
I'll never forget you mate, I don't think anyone made me laugh so much as you! You leave the world with so many happy memories of you (although I still have nightmares about being in the car with you when you were learning to drive!!).
I'll see you for a beer again in the future.

bay17-20
4th Feb 2005, 18:43
To the families that are left with us - Words are not enough, I cannot begin to imagine what you must be going through, thank you for sharing them with us, our thoughts are with you.

Sincere condolences to the GE section, 47 and the Flight, and RAF Lyneham. Dark times right now but the light will seem brighter soon and the smiles will return when you remember the guys.

I did not have the privilege of knowing all the crew but shared many happy routes with Gary Nic and Gibbo, true professionals that made every nightstop with them an occasion to remember, first met Ritchie (and his guitar!) in MPA years ago when we shared a room, truly one of life's good guys.

Rest easy guys

Steve O (Ex G/E)

KYT
4th Feb 2005, 19:21
Our thoughts are with the families of our friends we have lost, in this very difficult time. To the boys, you were gents of the highest order, and I only try to remember the good times we shared.

KYT ex 47, 30, 57, LXX

Loose Q
4th Feb 2005, 19:39
All on XV179 - You will ALL be sorely missed.

All characters.
All professionally brilliant.
All inspiring.

I will never forget the night when Steady, Gibbo and Gary filled my 12x12 with hanging rubber tyres and dozens of bananas just to make me feel 'at home'. Thanks gents.

RIP.

Grimweasel
4th Feb 2005, 20:01
So so sad.

Having only spoke to the crew and shook hands the day before the incident I feel a great loss as do many others. You will be glad to know that they were all in high spirits and Gibbo was his usual self offering out the brews and ciggies (NOT!!!)
I can only offer massive condolances to all others that worked and knew the crew so well as many of us have done so over the years. Red Flags will never be the same.

Forever in our memories.......47AD SQN

exleckie
5th Feb 2005, 00:18
I left my career at Lye.
My tribute to all at Lyneham is sincerely heartfelt.

My wife and I wish that all our condolences could be passed on to the families. We are both ex Lyneham.

I have cried, she has cried.

No one died in vain. They are loved and respected by us all.

"Never shall so much be owed by so few to so many"

Per adua ad astra my friends, even though I never knew you.

We will never forget.

The Rocket
5th Feb 2005, 00:39
God bless them all indeed.

Terrible, terrible waste of life. God bless you boys, We'll remember you always.

There but for the grace of god go all of us.

The Rocket

c130 alm
5th Feb 2005, 01:25
Where do I start? Was away on leave when I heard. Had numerous texts from people hoping it wasnt me.

I am absolutely gutted. Words cannot express my sadness.

I did not know the whole crew. A great loss. My thoughts go out to their families.

Many thanks for the many pages of condolences.

Lets hope they allow the Squadron to fly their lost men home to Lyneham.

Rest in peace XV179.

Mac Mckenzie
5th Feb 2005, 02:41
Gary, my best man in 2001, how could I have chosen any better.

Gibbo, a source of laughter without bounds.

They and thier comrades shall be with us, the families, and 47

forever.

Mac.

Little_Bee-eater
5th Feb 2005, 07:05
Nice to see a friend in here. I will miss my fella so much.

The do at 47 was worthwhile and much appreciated yesterday.

Sending love to the other partners, friends and family.

They are definitely flying them to Lyneham next week.

little bee

6nandneutral
5th Feb 2005, 17:13
I was out of the country on leave when I got the devastating news on SKY. It gave me a strange surreal detached feeling as if all was not real, but alass it was. So strange to see your Station and Station commander on TV for such a sad sad occurence. I have read the threads and cannot think of anything to say that has not already been said. I did the Tac course with Gibbo and had flown with Gary Nic. Two great characters and aviators, whom I looked up to. I find it so hard to realise that I will not see or hear them again. My thoughts go to all who had the pleasure of knowing these guys, and to the others on the aircraft. Gone but certainly not forgotten.

Didntdoit
5th Feb 2005, 18:23
Just realised that the 80/20 rule does indeed apply. :(

Paddy

Mate. One of the Goldstars who welcome us as Honoraries to the Sqn at Brüggen; ready wit, awesome timing and all round great fun to drink with. Will miss you mate but enjoy the new flying. Wish that we'd cuaght up whilst you were local to us.

Always. Peace.

Es G

Bells13
5th Feb 2005, 20:47
Words aren't enough Guys and as the chaps on 47 Sqn know, I am rarely short of them! Thanks to the five of you on the crew for the memories. You opened my eyes to a lot when I joined you and taught me much about the ways of the Air Force and the ways of the world. I also perfected my multiple "brew" making ability (a true Yorkshire lass - Steady should be proud!) and discovered a multiude of uses for the word "Monkey" (cheers Gary - I don't know where my vocabulary would have been without you!). Some of my very best memories and happiest days stem from working alongside you all. It is a true privilege to have known you. You will be sorely missed and never forgotten.

"Love and friendship's last act - remembrance."

We will remember you.

push&start
5th Feb 2005, 20:52
Are any arrangements being made for those who wish to pay their respects in person i.e. a memorial service. if so where can details be found.

Have fond memories of being given a hard time by Gary in the sim when converting to Albert. Stood me in good stead.

Ex FE 206/30/LXX

flipster
5th Feb 2005, 21:26
It is so humbling to hear everyone on this Forum begin to appreciate what we have lost and the sadness is almost tangible. Certainly, the grieving will go on and, for the families, the pain will never truly fade.

But for the sake of those that have died serving their country, their countrymen, if not the free world, let us go 'onward and upward' and carry the empathy that we feel today on to tomorrow and each and everyday from now.

Often, we are all guilty of focusing on the unimportant - for example getting the hump with your 'other half' for something trivial or getting angry at someone at work for making a genuine small mistake, blasting off at the kids for making a racket, going 'purple-headed' at the less able drivers on the road, or even getting p!ssed at poor management decisions.

Sometimes it makes the loss of someone close to make us see that these little things are really unimportant. What does matter is people and our relationship with them. The people we love, live with and work with and to whom trust our lives - everyone. Therefore, it may be good to view things from a different angle.

See things from the other person's point of view, give them a chance to explain, forgive genuine mistakes, encourage those less able than ourselves rather than put them down - but most of all, remember that they have loved ones too and we all walk a tightrope off which can we fall ......at any time.

Let us try to do this a token of our gratitude to all have fallen in our name.

Milt
5th Feb 2005, 23:50
We all owe a huge debt of gratitude to those who went down in the Herc. They made the ultimate sacrifice for us who survive. They all knew the risks they were taking and willingly put their lives on the line.

Why?

Having too often been in similar situations myself and having been fortunate enough to have come out the other side I have had to question myself as to why I did it?

Why did I carry on after losing so many close friends around me in mortal combat?

The bottom line answer to that question for me is - "To preserve OUR way of life for those we leave behind."

So thank those guys from the bottom of your hearts. They did it for you.

The odds were small for the downing of a Herc. They were in essential support of those at the sharp end all doing their best to eliminate the continuing threats to us from Al Qaeda and other nasties. If that Herc was not fitted with state of the art protection then protest any which way you can so that others doing their duties can have shorter odds.

Now give some thanks also to all of those others making the ultimate sacrifices for you.

My ANZAC days are very emotional when especially "We Shall Remember Them".

Captain Gadget
6th Feb 2005, 05:44
As Push & Start says above, I am sure that a Memorial Service should, and will, be held in due course. Like that for the crew of XV193, it will need to be held in the open air, for the hangar has not been built that is large enough to hold the throng that will want to turn out to pay their respects - witness 140K+ views on this thread for starters.

I had never read Jonathan Livingston Seagull before I heard the 'They came in the evening, then...' passage at the Memorial Service for the crew of XV193. It was so apt, though; and I do not think it would be an exaggeration to say that there was not a dry eye in the place. Years later, I read that very same passage at my own father's funeral: a tribute from an aviator to the man that had done more than any other to build and encourage him in his endeavours, even though Dad was an Army man himself. And it had the same effect on the congregation there.

I trust that something along those lines will happen again now; and, as before, I would consider it a privilege to be part of it. OB?

At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.

Gadget :ok:

mightyai24
6th Feb 2005, 09:30
Sincerest condolences to the relatives and friends of all the fine men involved. They will be sorely missed.

antipodean alligator
6th Feb 2005, 10:25
OC 47,

To see a Sqn Boss post a message on Pprune at such a time has been truly moving. Such heartfelt words that capture what we are all feeling for our lost comrades.

Hats off to you Sir, it is leadership like this that keeps us all committed despite the ever present limfacs that are thrown at us.

We will remember them......

Sarahs
6th Feb 2005, 10:32
I am a ground trade WRAF currently serving at Lyneham and on my last week before a new posting.

I was so gratefull to be invited to the Mess last Monday night to have a drink for the boys. Thankyou.

I only knew a few of the guys on board through either work, beercalls or sport. Though, having read each and every one of these pages I feel I know the other boys a little more. From the guys that I did know I have a some fond and funny memories of them, such a shooting some hoops with Richie in the station gym hall or taking the "mic" out of Gary for coming into our office at work stinking after a gym workout, or the god-awfull t-shirt that Bob bought for me from some far-flung detachment.

Memories of all will stay with each and every one of us for a hell of a time.

These next few words were sent to me from a friend which I thought I'd put on here for others to share.

"Our friendship chain may have broken, and nothing seems the same. But as God calls us one by one, the links will join again"

My thoughts and prayers go out to all affected. xx

STANDTO
6th Feb 2005, 12:23
Over the years, I have known quite a few people who have been part of Albert's team. Every one of them has tales and memories to regale. I can only begin to imagine what a gap the loss of a crew, so far from home, must mean to those serving, and those who have served.

God rest you, and for those left behind, I know the wider family will give you all the support and help they can.

STANDTO

Moose Loadie
6th Feb 2005, 16:44
Words are failing me right now but i want to pay my respects.

Flew with Gary a few times whilst at Lyneham and carried Gibbo out of Kabul on the big grey jet. I'm sure to have met the rest of the crew at some point in the past.

Rest in peace guys and thank you for everything you have done.

Ex 24 Sqn ALM

16 blades
6th Feb 2005, 19:10
A week on and I am still choking back tears. Especially when I see the growing floral tributes at the gates, or the kind words expressed by many here.

Smudge, you were an example to us all of how it should be done. I will miss you. The RAF, and the world, are both much the poorer for your passing.

RIP, and godspeed.

16B

albert the first
6th Feb 2005, 19:27
I have worked with a few of the guys on board and this is a terrible loss. It is really hard to know what to write (one of the reasons I have put it off for so long) but what I do know is that I keep getting images of the ones I did know in my head and ever time I do I smile, so that has got to be a good thing.

I find it hard to believe that I not going to get off a frame and see Bob or Richie standing there, with a smile, waiting for me. Likewise walk into the sqn and see Gary saying something funny nor see Smudge and banter him. Or see any of them just walking around or down route somewhere.

I went to church today in the village and it was really sad, and I know this is only the start of it. It was a low key but approprite service and it has started to bring home to me that they have really gone.

My prays are with the families at this time, my sadness can only be a fraction of what they are feeling. I just hope that the sentiments expressed on this forum and good wishes from the people here at lyneham and the wider community help in some way with the grieving process.

RIP

Zone 2 Alt
6th Feb 2005, 20:05
I don't think I can add much to what has already been said. Worked and laughed with Gary and Gibbo on 24. They were two of the nicest funniest and talented guys I've had the pleasure to meet in 23 years service. I'm sure I speak for all on 216 in passing on deepest condolences to all the familes involved.

Mick Boulton ex 24 Air Eng.

lineslime
6th Feb 2005, 20:33
It's my last chance to have a beer for the next few days, as such I am raising a glass to all who were on 179.
Only knew a couple of you by name, probably knew the rest of the crew by sight or in passing. For those I didn't know my glass is still raised to you. The albert family is a big one, be it currently serving, past service or those in the local community, and I am sure we all share in this tragic loss.

Rest in peace, you shall not be forgotten.

M T Room
6th Feb 2005, 20:54
Paddy, Goodbye.

To the others, a sad farewell. Gone but, by the words posted here, not forgotten.

Cheers,

Room.

The Gorilla
6th Feb 2005, 21:13
A sad week of much reflection and prayers. I knew Gary and Gibbo very well, indeed twas Gibbo who introduced me to Screech in Gander. They were two larger than life individuals in all respects, who will be so sadly missed by all who knew and loved them. Just as I still remember Terry and Craig and the rest of 193, I shall not forget Gary, Gibbo and the others of 179.

To all those left behind know that we share your loss and stand with you at your side.

Nothings forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten....

Ged Higgins ex LXX Air Eng
Sep 89 to Sep 93

500days2do
7th Feb 2005, 15:04
A week on and the hurt is still so very open and raw.Many sad days to come but we on 47 Sqn will come together for the guys like we would any other.I never flew with Gary but he entertained 'me' in the sim many times.Flew with Gibbo a few times and one memorable long dural which will always stay with me.Did the OCU in '95 with 'Steady' and 'got' in his way manytimes at the coffee machine on the Sqn.It still doesn't feel right talking this way about them...missing friends....never forgotten.

Days to do....

ELL BEE
7th Feb 2005, 15:41
First Post for me - difficult one.

Writing it was cathartic - hope it is appropriate.

We will miss you.

Farewell Fair Foxes

Colleagues, Mates, Kith and Kin,
Professional Oppos through thick and thin,
Sent to do a job they loved,
Booted, spurred and leather gloved.

Wit and banter, no-doubt a part,
Of their aviating finesse - a subtle art.
The cream of all our Albert crews,
A modest bunch - our Lyneham Muse’.

We wish them well wherever now,
A cheeky grin - a smile creased brow.
In our hearts and minds we feel,
The fact they’ve gone cannot be real.

Are they at the bar perhaps?
Such characters - such cocky chaps!
Ness-a-Guin... a festive pie,
A watchful gaze, a mindful eye.

It’s up to us who now remain,
To nurture, support and share the pain,
Of those so close, so intertwined,
And offer now – some peace of mind.

So, lets bow our heads and raise a glass,
And toast a crew of premier class.
They’ve slipped their surly bonds and flown,
Touched by you, our lives have grown.

propulike
7th Feb 2005, 20:00
I'm glad the boys are coming home to Lyneham and disappointed I can't be there, but understand this isn't the time for everyone to show solidarity. This will be a more personal event than that.

Although it's difficult to know what to do I'm sure the ones left behind are being given all the support that can be taken - but the one thing they can't be given will be in front of them tomorrow. At such a traumatic time I hope they can take comfort that Lyneham feels their loss and will do anything she can to ease their pain.

To the boys, I hope your last landing at EGDL is a smooth one. I'll be thinking of you.

AUPedBRIT
8th Feb 2005, 02:02
Sincerest condolences to families and friends. Thoughts and prayers are with you at this time. Words cannot convey what we all feel at this time but I will cherish the memories. I had the pleasure to fly and sim with Gary – a real character and a gent. I will be thinking of you guys tomorrow when you return to Lyneham.

Lest we forget

Captain Sensible
8th Feb 2005, 05:19
Wearing my 47 Squadron tie with pride and sorrow into work this morning, and if anyone asks me what it is, I'll be able to tell them a little about the kind of brave people being flown home to their final resting place today.

C130 Techie
8th Feb 2005, 06:37
Sincere condolances to the families and friends of the crew at this very difficult time. I knew and have worked with Richie, Bob and Gibbo. Great guys as I am sure they all were.

The reading of the passage from Johnathon Livingston Seagull and the rumble of the approaching Alberts as the role call of the crew was read were the two most poignant moments of the very moving memorial service for the crew of XV193. I am sure that RAF Lyneham will give the crew of XV179 an equally fitting send off.

Rest in peace fellas.

B.A.
8th Feb 2005, 12:05
With much sadness, I would like to add my condolences and support to the family and friends of our returning crewmembers. I spent the majority of my adult working life at and around Lyneham and, as with XV193, know how something like this can affect and unite the unsung heroes of the family that is RAF Lyneham.

Gibbo, we were crewed up together during the first Gulf War and I have many fond memories. Gareth and I will raise a glass when next down route. Gary, I think I met you twice but heard you and of you often. To you both, the pair of you are perfect examples of the personalities from which Lyneham and the RAF as a whole derive their strengths of character; you will be sorely missed.

I try and see positive in everything. I have trouble here, and it's often hard to express sentiment on paper. If there's anything we can take solace in, it's the leadership we have in place at the moment. The military can sometimes provide a haven for the intolerant; indeed, I've worked with and for managers ranging from the officious to the apathetic. If like me you have worked with both Obi & OC 47, you will be aware of how important the human aspect is to them, how they both share a trait of being "people-persons". I take some comfort in knowing that Lyneham and its family are in good hands.

All the best

B.A.

ORAC
8th Feb 2005, 12:21
BBC: Iraq crash RAF dead arrive home

The bodies of 10 servicemen killed when an RAF transport plane crashed in Iraq have arrived in the UK.

Nine airmen and a soldier died when the RAF Hercules came down 20 miles north-west of Baghdad on 30 January. Their remains have been returned to RAF Lyneham, Wiltshire, where eight of the airmen were based........

A C17 plane carrying the servicemen's bodies landed at the base at 12.45pm, for a 90-minute repatriation ceremony at 1.30pm.

"It is extremely poignant that today's ceremony is being held at RAF Lyneham as the majority of those who lost their lives in this tragic accident served or had served here," said Wing Cdr Jules Eaton.

"We are deeply saddened by their loss but are extremely proud and feel very privileged to be able to bring our friends and colleagues to their home base. "Their families are being offered every support on this difficult day and our highest priority is their well-being. Support will continue for as long as they require it".

"Every effort has been made to ensure that today's events are a dignified and solemn homecoming. This is not a memorial service, it is a homecoming."

Princess Anne, who is Honorary Air Commodore of RAF Lyneham, Defence Secretary Geoff Hoon and military chiefs are attending the service. The Princess will meet the families of the dead after the ceremony.

The 1 Squadron RAF Regiment and the Royal Corps of Signals have formed the bearer parties and the Central Band of the Royal Air Force and the RAF Regiment Band are providing the service music.

The families will be given time to spend with their loved ones before Wiltshire Coroner David Masters oversees the transfer of the coffins to Great Western Hospital in Swindon for formal identification.

BigGav-squipper
8th Feb 2005, 13:05
Good to see the Guys back Home...
I'll Save a Pint of Guiness and Mince Pie for when i get back to the UK and toast the Crew
Gavin Moore
S.E.Fitt

SALAD DODGER
8th Feb 2005, 14:43
Glad the boys are back home.

May I say how proud I am of the way that 47 Squadron and Lyneham have conducted themselves over this difficult time. Just superb, you are a credit to the fallen and the highest Service traditions.

It has renewed my faith in the military, and life itself.

I thought the pen pictures were really well done and drew another tear to my eye

http://www.operations.mod.uk/telic/casualties.htm

Sarahs
8th Feb 2005, 15:20
.............welcome home guys............

x

Spiro
8th Feb 2005, 16:17
To "Smudge".

we will always remember the good times at woodvale..rest in peace buddy

J+L

boshersimon
8th Feb 2005, 16:30
To all at Lyneham.....................you did them and us (the military) proud today. Bloody well done! Welcome home guys and rest in peace.

November4
8th Feb 2005, 17:00
A very moving ceremony

Well done to all involved.

hyd3failure
8th Feb 2005, 18:01
BBC West have just finished their evening news slot with a most fitting tribute. Well done BBC.

16 blades
8th Feb 2005, 18:19
I just watched the boys being driven out of the camp in procession, a sight which has moved me, once again, to tears.

Many people lined the road outside the camp and down towards the village to pay their respects. A fitting tribute for a group of truly remarkable men.

In our thoughts, always.

RIP

16 Blades

P-T-Gamekeeper
8th Feb 2005, 18:32
A big thanks to the C-17 guys for a tough job well done.

I don't know if any of them were ex hercs, but it can't have been easy.

higthepig
8th Feb 2005, 18:49
PB,

Tied myself in knots trying to write something meaningful and erudite, I know what I want to write but just can't seem to type the right things down, bo*~o#ks will have to suffice. So sad that it has ended this way.

To the rest of the crew, after reading all the posts here, it seems that as our paths have not crossed, it has been my complete loss. Gentleman I salute you all, RIP.

RF

janeth1068
8th Feb 2005, 20:39
As a duvet technician (or blanket stacker) I would just like to add my sincerest condolences to the families and friends of those that perished.
Like so many others on here I am having trouble typing anything meaningful that hasn't already been expressed.

I spent 10 and a half wonderful years at Lyneham, 3 of those working directly alongside the crews and GE's in MSF. I knew several of those who died.
I have spent many occasions over the last week or so in tears for those who have been lost. I cannot know the pain their families are going through and although selfish I hope I never do. I can only hope that for them it eases with time and the knowledge that their loved ones were loved by many.

earthlet
8th Feb 2005, 21:22
A peaceful and dignified homecoming. Well done Lyneham.

My thoughts are with their families on this saddest of days. I hope that some time in the not too distant future, memories of your loved ones will not always be accompanied by the pain and despair you must be feeling right now.
Reading this forum, it is clear that they were immensely popular and respected characters.

Truly sorry for your loss.

scran
9th Feb 2005, 05:34
Touched to see the pic of the coffins, and note the Aussie flag on our ex.

Well done RAF.

:ok: :ok: :ok:

Scran

RAAF

The Swinging Monkey
9th Feb 2005, 07:16
Not ashamed to say that I had a bl00dy good cry when I saw the guys return home. Well done Lyneham.

God Bless guys, we are all proud of you for what you were, what you did and the sacrifice you made.

TSM

k1rb5
9th Feb 2005, 07:55
Thankyou to all involved for letting our boys come home to Lyneham yesterday. It was the right and proper thing do do.

P-T-G The C 17 crew were all ex herc guys. Must have been very hard for them. They did the boys proud.

Hueymeister
9th Feb 2005, 08:28
Like higthepig, have read the thread from the beginning, I wanted so desperately to say something erudite/meaningful...but can't..bugger. My thoughts are with the families. Having just seen the crew photos I have just realised that Smudger was a stude on my first IOT Course...didn't have much to do with him, but I did mentor one of his 'Leads'. I remember him as having a keen sense of humour at functions...a sad loss.

HM Sausage-side

tall and tasty
9th Feb 2005, 08:33
Yesterday I watched the news and one of the most moving and sad things I have had to endure for a long time. the thing that made is worse was I went to a birthday party of one of our fellow ppruners a couple of weeks ago and met her lovely cousin. Yesterday I found out he lost 3 very close friends in this and is taking it really badly. I know what he is going through lost a good friend in an explosion in an aircraft 16 years ago at Lockerbie and that still haunts me. He was not found so the funeral was a memorial.

My deepest sympathies to the friends and families and rescue crews involved in all this and our tears are not shed in vain. They will be remembered on a poinent day in that countries history

Lets pray this is the last sad news but that is a wish I have for all those involved. I hope it comes true

TnT

scroggs
9th Feb 2005, 09:44
I watched the boys' return on BBC News 24 yesterday, and it was one of the most moving things I've experienced in many years. The whole process was very well handled and Lyneham, The Royal Signals, The RAF Regt. and 99 Sqn did the boys proud. I understand the departure from Basrah was equally appropriate. Well done and thank you to all concerned.

BeauMan
9th Feb 2005, 11:20
Just thought I'd add that Mrs BeauMan and I were at a Jim Davidson gig in Peterborough last night, and were both moved to tears when, in the middle of a very humorous story about our military vs the septics, he asked if anyone in the audience was in the Forces. Two chaps on the second row raised their hands, and identified themselves as RAF.

Without further ado, and with instant and genuine solemnity, Jim picked up his glass of water, and raised it "to the nine blokes who came home today. God Bless 'em." Rapturous applause from all, and a few tears from both Mrs BM and I. We weren't alone either.

H-D
9th Feb 2005, 19:19
I have not posted before now as like many I am deeply sadened by the loss. My thoughts are with the familys and friends who have lost dear ones.

In particular I will remember many a route with Bob and Richie. Excellent GEs. Esp breaking down at Partick AFB with 4 broken props (oops) and Bob e-mailing the pictures back to Lye. Bob also got me and my crew through the low pts of our month out East flying into Kabul.

We will remember them.

God Bless.

joe2812
9th Feb 2005, 19:35
I, like many others, have read this thread from the start and was deeply saddened by the news.

Whilst I cannot relate any stories to you (only being 18 and not in the services), this thread has really hammered home what it means to serve, and I hope somebody reading it may appreciate my feelings.

Coming from a strong RAF family, with many family friends still serving, I hope to follow my parents in, and take more interest in what you all get up to wherever you are deployed in the world.

It is a shame it takes a loss such as this to bring to the forefront of our minds the danger which you face on a daily basis. Sometimes Joe-public (nice name...) forgets that behind the politics of if we should be there or not, there are people such as yourselves who are making us proud of our country, proud of our way of life, and proud of our forces.

Im not ashamed to admit I may have become rather tearful at some of the messages left here, and while this has been a very hard and unusual post to write, I felt I needed to contribute somehow.

Little Gibbo
9th Feb 2005, 20:20
I just want to say thank you for all the kind words that have been posted in this thread. Losing my Brother and his crew has been a personal nightmare for me, but the massive support, especially from RAF Brize Norton, RAF Lyneham, 47 Sqn, 216 Sqn and 99 Sqn has made the darkest days that bit easier to live through. A special thanks to the many who have helped me bring Gibbo home.

Trumpet_trousers
9th Feb 2005, 22:52
it is perhaps the wrong time of day for me to post, (after last orders at the bar,) but the 2 previous messages have really hit home to me; joe, you write so eloquently for one so young, and Little Gibbo, it was an honour to be part of the process that saw you escort your brother home - at times like this, is is gratifying to know that the RAF family as a whole, and the Truckie fleet in particular, can pull together in such a moment of need.
I will never forget the surreal sight of 10 coffins being dressed with such loving care and attention to detail as I witnessed on that heart-rending flight home.....

God bless the Hilton boys.....

...GP and BC: I don't think you recognised us down the back of the 'great grey bird,' but I want you to know that you did your mates very proud indeed.

BitchingBetty
9th Feb 2005, 23:07
As I write this, another tear rolls down my cheek…just when I think there can’t possibly be more left to cry.

To the families and loved ones:
My thoughts are with you all. This is a desperate time and I can only hope and pray that one day your pain will begin to ease.

Little Gibbo - I’m lost for words. I cannot even begin to imagine the extent of your nightmares. I hope the kind words posted on this thread are maybe some comfort.

To friends and colleagues at Lyneham:
What can I say, except why? The air of sadness around the station is striking. This tragedy has touched everyone. My thoughts are with those of you who have lost close friends and colleagues. Such a shocking time for our Albert family.

To our 47 Sqn heros:
Gone but never forgotten. You will always be there in our hearts. Such massive personalities, such huge characters, such a devastating loss.

Smudge - your shirts were terrible, your fancy dress was…umm…interesting (!?!) and your cheesy “one-liners” were the worst!!! But for some reason, that all made you an amazing person. You were just too young to go! Sweetdreams, we miss you.

To the C-17 crew:
Thank you for bringing our boys home to where they belong.

Rest in peace boys! XXX

"At the going down of the sun and in the morning…we will remember them".

The Swinging Monkey
10th Feb 2005, 08:54
Ladies and Gentlemen,

As you will have seen, this forum has become a place for us all to record our sadness, our thoughts and our condolences to those who perished last week.

I have heard several rumours already as to the cause, and many of you will no doubt have seen the front pages of todays Sun newspaper. But could I please, please ask that we DO NOT use this particular forum to speculate, discuss, comment etc as to these and no-doubt other stories that will abound about the cause of this ghastly incident over the next days and weeks ahead.

Let us leave it as a fitting place for people to register their condolences, and allow it to remain as a tribute to 10 very brave heroes.

If someone is desparate to voice their comments as to the cause, could I please ask that they open a new forum, and leave this one solely for tributes.

Thank you for your understanding.
Kind regards
(a very sad) Swinging Monkey

PPrune moderator, pse feel free to delete this if you feel it is inappropriate. TSM

Arbie
10th Feb 2005, 08:58
I can but echo the sentiments of all those who have already spoken. My thoughts are with the families, all at 47 and at Lyneham.

Smudge - you will be sadly missed. I don't think I ever saw you without a smile on your face in the eight years we knew each other. Words fail me. Rest in Peace mate.

Zeibart
10th Feb 2005, 10:23
I'm sure there is a more official Book of Condolences at Lyneham, but this thread serves the global community very well in this respect and I just wanted to add mine.

On 57(R), I knew Steady when he was going through the OCU as a co and he clearly had far too much capacity because the banter switch was wire-locked on throughout. During that time I worked alongside Gibbo, which was a complete delight - great fun, consummate professional and a total genuine bloke. There will be many wonderful memories of these fine men to savour, but I'll not forget Gibbo down to his last 5 Canadian bucks on a nightstop Gander (this is first night outbound). He left us in The Flyers and we assumed that's him for the night. About an hour later, he bounds back in with nearly 200 dollars in his hand. He'd been a couple of doors down and fleeced some locals at double or quits pool. Being the generous fella he was, I think he still only had 5 bucks when we left the next morning!!

Being on LXX when 193 crashed, I can remember only too well the pain of the funerals. To the families and relatives, I pray that God's strength will gird you and surround you in the days ahead - the heartache will ease. Hundreds will stand with you in person, but hundreds of thousands will be beside you in spirit. Your men will never be forgotten and we are much the richer for knowing them. They died doing the job they loved and upholding the ideals we cherish, and we are as grateful to them as the fallen of WW2.

To the Albert family, you have raised your face to the world in dignified grief, and those who know the agony inside are so very proud.

God's rest, my brothers. Your dearest will be cared for. You are loved and missed terribly.

Z

exleckie
10th Feb 2005, 21:12
I just checked out the Lyneham village website.

the tributes have just ripped me apart. I can't believe i feel this way after 3 years away from Lyneham .

In my earlier and first post, I said I didnt know the crew. I thought I didn't. I did know Sgt O'connor, (Bob) He saved me from a kicking once by getting me out of an ugly situation. Thats what engineers do. Get yer mates out of trouble!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not saying where or how, but cheers mate.

I still owe you.

Make sure eveyone gets the support they need.

Love to all the Sqns, engineers and support staff at the BIG "L"

exleckie

Co2Capt
11th Feb 2005, 00:17
I have read this thread in full this evening.

Having known, operated and shared more than a 'few' beers with the boys, I'm still in a state of disbelief that such a fantastic bunch on characters won't be giving me relentless banter again...

To the happy times:

Paddy and his senior officer accent !! A typical fast-jet bloke !!!

Steady, throwing another fag end onto the pan of some hole of an international airport, with an expletive inquiry to the siggy on wheather his pax would be turning up soon...

Smudge, I didn't know too well, but I've heard a few stories of a chicken suit ?!?

Gary Nic, a huge bloke. "Him in the right seat, HE'S A MONKEY!! " and so the banter would go on.

Pards, always so 'organised' in the tent !?

Gibbo and his strange taste in music, I'm sure he just did it to wind us up! I cannot leave Gibbo without also mentioning a certain dining-in night of Mar 03...

Bob and Richie I had only worked with a few times, but were both great characters.

The repatriation ceremony was very moving and provided a faultless home coming. It was only fitting to see the boys come back to Lyneham, and having had a bit of time in theater, crews are forever trying to get a seat on a C17 direct back to the UK. I think they'll have been chuffed with their own C17 direct to Lyneham!!

My thoughts go out to the families and especially the children.

To the boys - "It'll be alright"

Snapdragon
11th Feb 2005, 18:14
Finally managed to get my password re-allocated around Saudi working times. To all at Lyneham and most especially the families, all our heartfelt condolences at a most distressing time. Coleen and myself will miss seeing Steady propping up the bar and giving us the Yorkshire welcome. Paddy Marshall was on my IOT and BFT, we sorted out Sumpy from Hypothermia at Beefstand Hill during LSE. ALL THE BEST, GOD SPEED, KEEP A COLD ONE ON ICE!!!

BigX
12th Feb 2005, 10:12
I feel it's impossible to write anything original here after the many heart-felt posts I've read. However, I wanted to add my sincerest condolences to family, friends and colleagues of all those who perished. The guys will be missed.

To Paddy, possibly the deepest, poshest sounding bloke in NATO, the GR4 fleet will be severely diminished without you. Take care up there mate.

Buster

L J R
12th Feb 2005, 17:38
Paul,

From myself as an Ex 36 (RAAF) Nav and having assisted you in getting into RAF, may you Rest In Peace. My family in Ballarat also share your family's sorrow.

Farewell from all my family here in UK and the broader ex RAAF community in UK

L J R.

antipodean alligator
13th Feb 2005, 10:33
Paddy,

I was so upset by Pards' death that I failed to put your face to the name.

Rest in peace mate - I'll always remember you as one of the real characters of the Tonka GR force.

Still thinking daily of the tragic loss of all of the crew members and the solitary brown-job.

RIP gentlemen

k1rb5
15th Feb 2005, 07:31
There will be a memorial service at a venue to be confirmed after the all of the funerals. This will probably be open to former 47 members and anyone connected to the guys and will be around the middle of March although all these details are yet to be confirmed. Little vague I'm afraid. I will post more on here when we have it.

routeburglar146
20th Feb 2005, 19:18
Having joined up with Bob and following each other throughout our career, this was one of the most gut wrenching experiences of my life. We only met up 2 days before and I would like to assure readers and families that the sunset service at that end was held with the upmost dignity. My deepest heartfelt condolences go to all those left behind.

God Bless Hilton 05

foxdelta69
1st Mar 2005, 21:34
I have been home for nearly a month now after working along side these courageous and selfless men and will always cherish the pride and dignity I have for this brave crew who left us on that fateful day. I knew all but one of them but have no less pride and admiration for them all. I have struggled to come to terms with the whole horrific incident and have been taken aback by the thousands of tributes to our fallen friends.

I had the opportunity to fly with many of the crew. Steady, Gaz, Bob and Richie were on the crew that initially flew me into theatre. Words can not express the emptiness that I feel now.

Steady - you always said if i could make it happen then you would fly it - I wish i could have wished you back home mate. I'll get that trip home on the other side.

Gaz - you are a monkey! Such a giant of a man in more than stature.

Bob - I'm glad you managed to get that rum to put in your Coffee mate.

Richie - will miss you knocking on my body armour. Will never forget that.

Jonesy - when i had nothing, you bought me that big cigar in Cyprus. Get them pork chop sidees sorted out!

My thoughts and prayers are with all the families, friends and colleagues. I am proud to have served alonside such an admirable bunch and will remember them eternally.

God bless,

' Airmen passed, who age no more,
Triumphant in their battle for peace.
Their faces no longer red and raw.
their lives they gave for wars to cease'

Anon 1988

Mister Watson
4th Mar 2005, 15:55
A tragic loss.

I had the pleasure of having a few Beers with Andy P at Woodvale. A great guy.

RIP

totalwar
4th Mar 2005, 16:02
Nearly a month now....so what happened? (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4233819.stm)

k1rb5
4th Mar 2005, 16:48
It's looking like the memorial service will be on the 29th of April. Anyone wishing to attend please contact the Sqn for more details.

doris day
4th Mar 2005, 20:28
Never forgotten.

OKOC
5th Mar 2005, 16:51
Totalwar,

In answer to your question "What Happened"-let's just wait and see; clearly if it was a structural failure (NB it wasn't a USA E model nor was it a South African Herc variant): our Engineers must have stringently checked our fleet and must be absolutely 100% certain that ours are still safe to operate; otherwise they would have grounded our K's weeks ago.

My money is still on a ground-to-air projectile of some sort hitting a soft spot resulting in this dreadful accident-my thoughts are with the families and loved ones at this awful time.

ewe.lander
5th Mar 2005, 19:12
Now a civvy after 30 years military flying. 47 been the best time I had in that time. Never made 'Hilton' status, admired them, but had the very real pleasure of flying with the coolest G.E - Richie. He stitched me downroute every time, managed to get this dozy Yorkshire Captain to keep the Kebab kitty rolling when I should have re-stitched the Aussie Air Eng! Respect Richie, I'll be there at the 47 gathering. Bloody good crew, bloody huge loss....

Navaleye
7th Mar 2005, 13:24
Latest news from the Beeb. Not good news I have to say. Here (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/wiltshire/4325775.stm)

totalwar
7th Mar 2005, 13:48
This is bad news indeed. If it wasn't bird strike, lightning strike, mid-air collision, controlled flight into the ground, wire/obstacle strike, restriction in the aircraft’s flying controls, cargo explosion, engine fire, sabotage (including the use of an improvised explosive device) or aircraft fatigue then what other possibilities does it leave?

At least there is no blame being placed on the crew, that is good news.

SmilingKnifed
7th Mar 2005, 20:56
Jamino, that type of speculation serves no purpose, especially on the open source.

Please be mindful of the fact that a lot of good lads died on that aircraft. Maybe speculation would be better placed on a separate thread.

SK

The Gorilla
7th Mar 2005, 21:10
Might I please suggest that since this particular thread was set up as mark of respect to the fallen, that we speculate using the other current herc thread?

Thanking you

TG

Always_broken_in_wilts
8th Mar 2005, 20:22
Could a moderator please please remove the "speculative" posts on this thread and put them where they should be :}

The posts here were to be a comemoration to those brave few who gave their lives in this tragic accident. Please return this thread to it's previous touching state.

rotornut
8th Mar 2005, 23:17
Gorilla (Caput vacans),

Capita similia tui aestimantur unius assis.

lineslime
8th Mar 2005, 23:38
Please show some respect and take the speculation & bitching elsewhere. I'm sure the families & friends of those lost view this thread often and don't appreciate it, I know I sure don't!
ABIW i'm in agreement with you.

KPax
23rd Mar 2005, 12:33
Local news reporting the opening of the Coroners enquiry. Again our thoughts to the families as hopefully some sort of closure is in sight. We will never forget.

rej
24th Mar 2005, 20:09
A very fitting Requiem Service was held for Pards today. Fine words, appropriate humour and very few dry eyes for a top chap.

God rest

SunderlandMatt
3rd Apr 2005, 17:13
Andy P,

I only found out two days ago. I was on UAS with you. I used to drive you up and down the M6 from Uni to Woodvale every week along the same boring roads that used to drive us mad.

You taught me my checks in the mighty dog. You were a role model for those of us junior to yourself.

I hate the idea of never meeting up with you again for a few cheeky beers and a green and yellow.

I'll be there next week.

See you in a few years mate.

doris day
10th Apr 2005, 16:26
Have missed Gibbo and Steady`s funerals due to being down South. Understand memorial is May 28th, please confirm details as wish to say my goodbyes. Once on Hercs, never forgotten.

mutleytwo
16th Apr 2005, 04:04
I'm sorry it's taken me so long to write something. You are all sorely missed, and I still struggle to find the words to express how I feel. The love and affection obvious in the preceeding messages is a testament to the regard with which you are all held, and I only wish I could say things as eloquently as some of your other friends and family members. Thank you for the memories and I look forward to a beer with you all again one day in the future.

My thoughts are still with your families, loved ones and friends. I hope, with time, the pain of losing you will fade and their memories of the good times will fill their minds and hearts.

Rest in Peace.

fatter albert
30th Apr 2005, 21:30
I have been following this thread for most of the last couple of months and feel overwhelmed by the strength of support shown to the XV179 community by all the correspondents who have felt able to express their feelings. I know you, and others who have expressed support elsewhere, have provided solace to the loved ones of those involved.

I would like to appeal for us to also remember those who were involved in some capacity yet had the fortune to return home. Their sacrifice was of a far different order of magnitude, however they may carry scars that are not there to see.

See you in Salisbury

Bless you all

Fatty

c130airman
1st May 2005, 03:53
All the best fellows, you will be all missed.
As an ex-GE and someone who knew most of the crew and the GE's and came close myself in 98, I am sad to hear of there departing. The only solace i have is that they did it in a manner of something they all loved.

"Quick to react when the world was stunned,
Saving lives, but losing his own,
When towers crumbled and no where to run.
Go and lay down your life my son, go and lay down.

Around the world to carry a gun,
Defense of freedom for everyone.
The flag is grateful for what you’ve done,
Go and lay down your life my son, go and lay down."

Mirkin About
8th May 2005, 01:11
A wreath was laid to the crew of XV179 here in Darwin(well Humpty Doo anyway) on Anzac day. Gunfire breakfast was one for me , one for Pards.

Neeps
8th May 2005, 14:47
I'd like to pay my respects to all involved. Though not all of us in the community knew you, we were touched by you all. Rest in peace, you will be remembered.

rotornut
17th May 2005, 10:50
http://portal.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2005/05/17/wirq17.xml&sSheet=/news/2005/05/17/ixworld.html

fatter albert
17th May 2005, 12:22
Once again, the press prove they know flip all.

I didn't realise how much of what they print is simply made up until all this happened.

k1rb5
20th May 2005, 00:35
Just wanted this back at the top for the big day......................sorry. Think you all might forgive me that. Regards to all.

K1rb5