PDA

View Full Version : Can you radiate 2 CAT I ILS's on the same runway opposite ends?

fart
22nd Mar 2002, 15:17
Yes, it is possible, but is it legal? Anybody out there that has specific rules about radiating 2 opposite end ILSs at the same time in CATI or better conditions? (same runway eg. 30&12) Is there any interference at all when radiating simultaneously from opposite ends? We have no back courses and I guess the LOCs are shielded, but what do you do at your airfield? Has ICAO got any rules for or against? Would appreciate if anyone can share some of the wisdom out there.. .Thanks. .Fart

Hand Solo
23rd Mar 2002, 05:28
Are they both operating on the same frequency, because that could cause significant problems with incorrect glideslope capture. A further problem is if you lock up to the other ends glideslope whilst on a visual or localiser only approach you got some very distracting GPWS glideslope warnings at about 600 feet. Really puts you off your landing!

23rd Mar 2002, 16:04
Can't do it on ours.... the system won't let you! Now I'm sure that if you went down to the equipment room with a screwdriver it may be possible!

weasil
23rd Mar 2002, 16:29
They do it at Oakland International Airport in California. Runway 29/11 has an ILS on both ends.

NATS_Not_Funny
26th Mar 2002, 01:20
This can only be done if the systems are on different frequencies. Flight checking at Aberdeen several years ago with both glidepaths on at the same time caused negative flare and the whites pilot I've ever seen!. .. .Cross runways are the same. Belfast Aldergrove has ILS on 17 and 25, both on all the time.