PDA

View Full Version : TBM700 down at Oxford

bookworm
6th Dec 2003, 20:42
BBC news reporting the crash with three fatalities of a TBM700 at Oxford Kiddlington, apparently after "overshooting the runway" at the end of a flight from Brussels.

Anything more known?

Timothy
6th Dec 2003, 20:47
They're going to lose their excellent reputation if they go on like this.

Any question of our mutual friend being involved?

The quote"Three people were killed when their light aircraft crashed at an airfield in Oxfordshire.
The single-engine two-seater plane overshot the runway after a flight from Brussels to the aerodrome in Kidlington at 1120 GMT on Saturday." leaves a little to be desired in the jounalistic accuracy department.

W

9gmax
6th Dec 2003, 20:50
Here's the link.....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/oxfordshire/3296879.stm[/URL]

Timothy
6th Dec 2003, 20:55
Bookworm

What makes you think that it was a TBM?

BBC News 24 desperately trying to sensationalise: "It would have been much worse if it had hit the A44"; "Many celebrities use Kidlington, including Richard Branson. Were any celebrities involved?"

Luckily the Policeman was being sensible and measured in his replies.

W

bookworm
6th Dec 2003, 21:27
What makes you think that it was a TBM?

That was the BBC News 24 reporter's line -- adding that they cost millions of pounds, which persuaded me that she hadn't just got the numbers mixed up.

The occupants are now reported to be Belgian and French nationals.

BBC News 24 desperately trying to sensationalise: "It would have been much worse if it had hit the A44"

It's absurd, isn't it? We're approaching the 15th anniversary of the last third-party fatality of an aeroplane accident in the UK. That was in the town of Lockerbie.

You're probably more conversant with the statistics than I am -- how many pedestrians have been slain by drivers since then?

mad_dog
6th Dec 2003, 21:29
If this A/C is a two-seater, why was three people killed?

Something sounds dodgy there!!:}

MD

JDK
6th Dec 2003, 21:30
I'm just up the road in Woodstock. BBCi local news has that the a44 which runs past the airfield has been closed. That's all I've got. More if I get it, but I'm not going to rubberneck. I can hear an a/c going over so it looks like Kidlington's open again.
Cheers
James

Timothy
6th Dec 2003, 21:43
You're probably more conversant with the statistics than I am -- how many pedestrians have been slain by drivers since then? ...and how many car crashes take place "within a mile of a school"?

W

Loony_Pilot
6th Dec 2003, 22:29
Hi,

Well I can confirm it is a TBM700, 3 fatalities, it crashed on approach to 01 at Oxford, it came down a few hundred yds befroe the 01 threshold about 50m left of the centreline, just before the A44 dual carriageway. 2 belgians and 1 french person on board I believe.
I've also flown over it and it certainly didnt look survivable. Though I only got a brief look at it as I was trying to land on 01!
I think the aircraft flew in from Brussels and someone who witnessed it said it pitched up very sharply and suddenly, then rolled before crashing.
It certainly wasn't an overshoot as some of the media have been reporting
Hope everyone at PPRuNe will join me in offering condolences to the victims.

LP

Timothy
6th Dec 2003, 22:51
The pattern you describe seems to be becoming a little too prevalent in the TBM700 world...not disimilar to the one I was involved in in Dundee in October and apparently similar to one in France last year.

W

cblinton@blueyonder.
6th Dec 2003, 23:27
My Thoughts go out to all concerend:(

SM82
6th Dec 2003, 23:48
Anybody any idea on the reg?

vintage ATCO
7th Dec 2003, 00:21
N30LT according to spotter sites

JDK
7th Dec 2003, 00:33
The A44 road was still closed as at 5pm, tonight, cars being diverted around.

Indeed, condolences.

JDK

hobie
7th Dec 2003, 01:53
what it normally looks like .....

http://www.snecma.com/en/group/applications/page_produit.php?id_application=331

http://www.ebhn.be/images/Duxford2003/Hugo/pages/N30LT%20%20%20TBM%20700_JPG.htm

hobie .....

deing
7th Dec 2003, 03:35
WCollins wrote
The pattern you describe seems to be becoming a little too prevalent in the TBM700 world...not disimilar to the one I was involved in in Dundee in October and apparently similar to one in France last year.

Can you give me some more info what the problem was with these crashes, trim?

Deing

2Donkeys
7th Dec 2003, 03:48
The description of the Oxford accident suggests a stall/spin in on approach. On the face of it, not a lot in common with the Dundee Accident. With the exception of the aircraft type and the general phase of the flight what common elements are you seeing WCollins?

TEN-4
7th Dec 2003, 04:16
WCollins:

What was the cause of your stove inn at Dundee WCollins? :confused:

PS. Hope your feeling better BT.

Skullllll:ok:

Zlin526
7th Dec 2003, 04:52
The description of the Oxford accident suggests a stall/spin in on approach. On the face of it, not a lot in common with the Dundee Accident.

Please, lets respect the memory of the deceased pilot and pax, and wait for the official report to come out before speculating on what happened, especially if you were not there to witness it first hand.

Isnt it funny how, in times like this, we all become experts in aircraft accidents?

Z

2Donkeys
7th Dec 2003, 05:21
Isnt it funny how, in times like this, we all become experts in aircraft accidents?

Hmmmmm.......

Your own righteous posting is one of a type after events like this.

We are here because we are pilots. When an aircraft wings over and hits the ground nearly vertically during the late stages of an approach, we are bound to wonder as to the cause. There are more and less likely scenarios.

To ponder such things in the company of other pilots does nothing to dishonour the memory of any other soul. Fault is not being discussed... only the chain of events.

Timothy
7th Dec 2003, 06:11
It's the dramatic left wing drop during a landing and possibly attempted go-around that seems to link the three. Luckily we all walked/swam away from the first two incidents.

Sorry, Zlin, but let's have a little show of hands of everyone who been involved in a TBM landing crash in the last couple of months...

Oh come on! Let's not always see the same hands.

W

BRL
7th Dec 2003, 09:10
Ok, enough of the willy waving right now. Please respect the people who died in this incident and lets not have anymore of this speculation.

This thread should go along the lines of the plane came down, fatalities, condolenses to all concerned, instead it has already turned into an argument between a few people.

Wait until the final report comes out before continuing this conversation.

In the meantime, this thread should be in rememberance of those who died in this incident. Fellow pilots remember.

Condolenses on this thread, theories on another.

BRL.

Snoopy
7th Dec 2003, 15:20
The identity of two of the victims in this link. A major shareholder of a French supermarket chain and his wife:

http://www.reuters.co.uk/newsPackageArticle.jhtml;jsessionid=BP1KCWRTAEHJGCRBAEZSFEY? type=businessNews&storyID=416897&section=finance

Wide-Body
7th Dec 2003, 16:52
Hi All

I was wondering if anyone has a copy of the Sky news report. The actual press coverage was OK they were only doing a Job. However, my blood boiled at the Thames Valley police spokesman. His speculative comments would make any tabloid reporter blush. It was so unbelievable I would like to make a complaint, but before I go into print I would like to see a copy of the tape. Then at least I could get my facts absolutely solid.
Something I thought the police should be quite good at. Please if you have a copy could you PM me.
My respects to all of the relatives of the lost aviators from this terrible week.

Regards

Wide

Blind lemon
11th Dec 2003, 20:33
BRL - Well moderated Sir.

I find it most perplexing that some people are only concerned with what the registration of the aircraft is. Is this a perverse spotting fixation ?

My condolence are with the families of the pilot and his passengers.

S-Works
11th Dec 2003, 20:58
Excuse me for being harsh but if they had been killed in a car crash would we be offering condolances to people that we had never met? I doubt it. Always seems a bit hypocritical to me.

Am I upset by the deaths of people I have never met? I just read with passing interest this along with the deaths of the other hundreds of thousands of people that die each day. This is life.

I do however believe that we should try to understand the causes of the accident as pilots and if by doing so we can prevent another accident then it is worth the effort.

As has been said before it in no way dishonours those who died.

If god forbid I should bin it and die then please feel free to anaylse my demise in the hope that it benefits learning. But don't send false condolances!

Blind lemon
11th Dec 2003, 22:39
Bose-X

If that jibe is intended for me, I think you will find that the definition of condolence is "Sympathy with a person who has experienced pain, grief, or misfortune". The definition of sympathy
can be "tendancy to favour or support". Enough said.

My original point was it would appear that some of the threads on here are more intrested in the aircraft serial number.

IO540
11th Dec 2003, 23:47
Blind lemon

Sadly, if somebody wants to find out the number, there is a vast number of spotter sites to choose from.

Type your own aircraft reg into Google and see what turns up. This is just a fraction of what can be found. It is astonishing anybody has the time for this sort of thing...

S-Works
12th Dec 2003, 01:55
I made no jibe. I don't give a stuff about sympathy for people I have never met. I will leave sympathy and compassion to those better suited to it than me.

I was merely reflecting on the comments about not discussing the situation.

Don't be so sensative, but thanks for the definition.