PDA

View Full Version : Turbo prop JAR perf category

let_me_fly
28th Nov 2003, 21:24
What JAR Performance category does a 6500kg Turboprop aircraft come under do you think?

Thanks in advance.

Tinstaafl
29th Nov 2003, 02:01
Are you referring to IFR perf. categories eg A to E? What is the subject a/c's Vat?

let_me_fly
29th Nov 2003, 04:47
Its ok I got it. Turboprops over 5700kg fall into JAR Performance-A.

Thanks anyway.

Tinstaafl
29th Nov 2003, 06:14
Oh, OK. That would be certification categories?

Crossunder
29th Nov 2003, 07:12
Nope; performance categories under JAR OPS. Has to do with the actual operation of the aircraft, not certification.

Tinstaafl
29th Nov 2003, 23:03
Yes. To me' Performance Category' relates to IFR criteria for approaches. Is JAR now using the same term for something completely different?

Airking
30th Nov 2003, 23:43
Tinstaafl,

the ICAO calls it:

AIRCRAFT APPROACH CATEGORY (ICAO)

The following ICAO table indicates the specified range of handling speeds (IAS in Knots) for each category of aircraft to perform the maneuvers specified. These speed ranges have been assumed for use in calculating airspace and obstacle clearance for each procedure.

Cat A Vat <90 kts
Cat B Vat 91-120 kts
Cat C Vat 121-140 kts
Cat D Vat 141-165 kts
Cat E Vat 166-210 kts

Vat - Speed at threshold based on 1.3 times stall speed in the landing configuration at maximum certificated landing mass.

the JAA JAROPS calls it:
Performance class, either A, B or C
A is covered under Subpart G - all Jets and all turboprops with more than 9 paxseats or more than 5700kg/12500lbs MTOW are to be operated under this subpart
B is covered under Subpart H - for Prop driven aeroplanes under 5700kg/12500lbs MTOW and 9 or less Paxseats
C is covered under Subpart I - recip engine driven A/C of more than 9 Seats and more than 5700kg/12500 lbs

(check subpart F - Performance General)

Tinstaafl
1st Dec 2003, 04:47
Oh, ta. Now I geddit.

FlatBread
10th Dec 2003, 23:10
Airking,

Your post implies that those two things are one and the same with a different name for ICAO and JAA.

However, this is not the case. As describe in JAR-OPS 1 subpart F, an operator shall ensure that aircraft in a specific performance class (A,B, or C as in your post) are operated in accordance to the specific subparts describing those performance classes (subparts G, H and I). In those subparts specific performance requirements can be found such as: screen height, climb gradients, T/O and landing distances, minimum height and more.

In subpart E, JAR also makes a division in Aircraft Category, based on Vat, this is the same as with ICAO as in your post. Those categories are used when determining the MDH/DH and minimum RVR for an approach.

So, any aircraft will be placed in a performance class (A,B,C) and in a Aircraft Category (A,B,C,D,E). And yes, both are used with respect to performance, but in a different way. Indeed a bit confusing.

Tinstaafl
10th Dec 2003, 23:17
Ah. I didn't geddit before even though I thought I did geddit. Now I think I geddit again, only more so.