PDA

View Full Version : Seaplane Training in Canada

GPS Approach
25th Nov 2003, 18:05
Advice needed.....

I´m looking into doing a seaplane rating in Canada next summer and have a few queries if anyone could help me.

First of all conversion, I have an FAA CPL/IR MEL, what does the conversion to a Canadian CPL/IR involve.

Secondly ratings, I need to get a MES Rating and preferably (depending on cost) a rating on a DHC-6 with floats, do you know anywhere in Canada or the US that offers a type rating on a DHC-6 with floats. Also for the initial seaplane rating, would I be best off doing a SES first and then a MES or straight to a MES?

Thirdly, flight schools, any recommendations for obtaining my MES rating in either Canada or the US.

Many thanks in advance,

GPS.

themulleye
27th Nov 2003, 09:22
Try Fort Langley Air Ser just out side of Vancouver BC they do float Ratings on a C-180. very good training.

As for MES Rating and DHC-6 I don't think any one in Canada does this. your best bet is to get a job on a dock up north loading drums then work your way up to the 180 ....185....DHC 2.......then right seat on the DHC-6.

THEMULLEYE

rotornut
27th Nov 2003, 19:22
Try this outfit:
www.orilliaaviation.com/

They do it in a 172, though, but it's close to Toronto.

Mostly Harmless
27th Nov 2003, 23:03
I have no suggestion on the DHC-6 Training, but I would suggest Air Hart out of Kelowna for the float training. They seem to have a good reputation and you would be learning in mountainous terrain. Check out a website called AvCanada.ca, look on the message board for a fellow calling himself Cat Driver. He's an old float hand and could give far better information than I.

GPS Approach
2nd Dec 2003, 17:00
Thanks for the responses guys.

GPS