PDA

View Full Version : Air law: Overtaking?

peg20
3rd Oct 2003, 00:43
Why oh why oh why?

... do you overtake to the right in the air, but to the left on the ground?

:sad:

Saab Dastard
3rd Oct 2003, 01:33
peg20,

I think it is so that the pilot (left seat) can see what is overtaking him/her on the ground, and see what he/she is overtaking in the air.

SD

rotorcraig
3rd Oct 2003, 05:37
Really? Never heard that before. But then pilot sits right seat in R22 :confused:

RC

Keef
3rd Oct 2003, 05:46
Eh? I drive on the left and overtake on the right when on the ground.

astir 8
3rd Oct 2003, 18:28
Blame the French as usual I suspect - it's pretty much like their road regulations - give way to traffic coming from the right as well

Northern Highflyer
3rd Oct 2003, 18:40
Agree with SD but what is simple in aviation ?

For example

Height/altitude in feet, but R/W length and cloud separation in metres.

Keeps us on our toes.
:ok:

DFC
3rd Oct 2003, 19:09
I think that in respect of this rule, the UK is a little behind the times.

Overtaking on the right in the air is complementary to the other rights of way rules.

Example - when following a line feature, we are required to keep the line feature on the left of the aircraft. Overtaking on the right ensures that this rule is not broken which could happen if the overtaking was completed on the left.

On the ground, aircraft were required to keep to the right at all times. Thus when taxying along a runway, aircraft kept to the right and thus avoided people comming the other way.

If an aircraft is keeping to the right, it is not possible to pass it on that side. Thus overtaking on the ground happens on the left.

Finally, getting back to the more up to date situation......today, in general we taxi on taxiways and in almost every situation follow the centerline....even if it is a wide grass taxiway. Consequently, the up to date ICAO Rules of the air simply state that an aircraft which is overtaking another on the ground shall keep well clear of that aircraft........However, on the basis that the other aircraft will turn to the right in order to avoid something ahead, being on it's left is still safer.

Regards,

DFC

AIRWAY
3rd Oct 2003, 19:47
On the right, in the right :ok:

Keef
3rd Oct 2003, 19:54
NH
Only in Europe.

In the USA, they use feet for runway lengths.

They still manage to confuse, though, because some measurements are in statute miles and others in nautical miles.

India Four Two
4th Oct 2003, 04:15
This rule is identical to the maritime rules of the road.

When approaching oncoming traffic, the rule is keep to the right, so that the two aircraft (or vessels) pass each other "port to port" ( "left to left").

If you are overtaking an aircraft or vessel, it would be dangerous to alter course to the left to pass, since that might put you in the path of oncoming traffic. So since there is plenty of room in the air (and usually at sea), turning right to pass is the safest option

BEagle
4th Oct 2003, 16:07
Overtake on the left? Apparently not at Kidlington. I was waiting at the holding point having called 'ready for departure' when some corporate bizjet barged past on the right without any warning. My queries to ATC were snapped at, so I rang them when I landed only to be told about some 'IFR line' local convention. "Is it in the AIP?" I asked, "Err, no" "Is it in Pooley's?" "Err, no". "So, let me get this right. You have a local convention which departs from the Rules of the Air but you don't publish such warnings in the normal documents?" "Err....err....err......"