PDA

View Full Version : Microlight lessons

LeeG2002
9th Sep 2003, 21:05
Hi all.

Deciding to go through the Microlight (weightshift) route to get into flying.

A friend took me up in his last week for the first time and let me fly quite a lot. I successfully completed 3 circuits and landed each time much to his suprise!

Anyway, how much should I be looking at paying for lessons using a school aircraft?

Much appreciated.

Lee.

Fly Stimulator
10th Sep 2003, 02:40
Lee,

There's a list of microlight schools on the BMAA site (http://www.bmaa.org/).

As far as costs go, you'll get more answers by asking here. (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/microlights/)

Buy some warm clothing if you're about to start your flexwing training at this time of year!

tonyhalsall
10th Sep 2003, 16:38
You don't need to go down the flex wing route to fly microlights - though you may find it cheaper to continue flying thereafter if you do fly flexies.

Most training schools can train 3 axis (conventional stick and rudder aircraft) or flex wing - indeed at your location (Herts?) Plaistows farm near St. Albans train on flexies and three axis.

Dunno the training rates there but budget for £80/hour.

You will need to buy your own aircraft (or share) to continue flying microlights and second hand flexies can be had for £3,000 upto £20,000+ they are easy to trailer and hangar and are an affordable route into flying.

3 axis tend to be a bit more expensive to purchase and run (due hangarage) though you can get wing folding and trailerable aircraft.

Tony

springers
11th Sep 2003, 19:23
The current hourly rate with Jay at Plaistows is £80. He will lend you a flying suit when you train with him (and will expect you to buy one from him eventually). You'll need to buy your own balaclava and bar mitts (about £24) - essential for keeping warm between now and next May!

Learning on a weightshift is a realistic proposition during the winter because the school aircraft is kept fully rigged and you won't be out in the cold for much longer than an hour at a time. The tricky bit is rigging and de-rigging an aircraft in the cold during winter!

Jay lets his students fly solo in his school aircraft provided you pay a contribution to hull insurance (fair enough). And you'll need to have your own third party liability cover before you fly solo (about £80 per annum).

Also budget for 5 lots of £15 for exams, £28 for charts, plus ruler, protractor, chart pens, etc.

Also join BMAA right away - they are very helpful and their magazine "Microlight Flying" is the best source of information on the sport.

Good luck

Springers

bar shaker
12th Sep 2003, 18:43
Heard some good reports about Jay. I believe he has started training at Hunsdon too, if that's nearer to you.