Terms and Endearment The forum the bean counters hoped would never happen. Your news on pay, rostering, allowances, extras and negotiations where you work - scheduled, charter or contract.

Leaving BA for Jet2

Old 18th Sep 2023, 10:30
  #21 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Your Worst Nightmare
Age: 53
Posts: 262
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TheFiddler
If you're talking about Covid, the actual number was 104.

it was 102 of us and we were all offered re-employment within 18months. Canít fault the company, quite weird having pride in your airline
BluffOldSeaDog is offline  
Old 22nd Sep 2023, 14:58
  #22 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Sandstorm
Posts: 14
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm in a major Dutch airline and it seems the politics want to destroy the HUB function of Schiphol and thus my airline. I have a British wife so I'm slowly looking for options in the UK. Where is Jet2 based mostly and how are the schedules? Cheers in advance
Airdancer is offline  
Old 22nd Sep 2023, 18:57
  #23 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Out of a bag
Posts: 650
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Airdancer
I'm in a major Dutch airline and it seems the politics want to destroy the HUB function of Schiphol and thus my airline. I have a British wife so I'm slowly looking for options in the UK. Where is Jet2 based mostly and how are the schedules? Cheers in advance
There is no Ďmostlyí based. A little research would show you that Jet2 has 10, shortly 11 bases across the UK. Largest operations from MAN and BHX.
Busiest operation in the summer, quieter in the winter, though that is increasing year on year.
Random roster with options for fixed pattern working at reduced percentage of full salary.
Flying Wild is offline  
Old 25th Sep 2023, 13:39
  #24 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: FL270
Posts: 14
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Basicsteve
If I got captain in a few years at Jet2 it would be a v good pay rise for the next couple
of years . I believe basic is 135k with around 15k on top . So £150k
Senior FO is 95k basically after flying which is pretty good also
I just can’t stand the way BA operates especially after the last few years. I know it’s been tough for most airlines but it opened my eyes.
Most people I hear that have made the move are happy with it .

I think someone tried to send me a message but it won’t work yet as I’m new to pprune
Not ex-BA, but thought I'd add my 2p:

Basic for 100% Captains is a shade under £130k; sector pay is probably about £10k; a second hat will get you get a few £k more. Part time options are being offered. Cpts had profit share of about £13k this year. Company pension contribution is 10% for 3% for Cpts.

Atmosphere is usually positive. Support from local management is incredible - really, really good. It's a great place to work, that tries hard to improve. The aircraft are very well maintained, and there's always support if you need it. There is no seniority.

Negatives (for the sake of going in with your eyes open) are generally thought to be:
1) Training department has a higher ratio of difficult instructors then perhaps you might be used to. The majority are excellent, but...
2) Manuals are improving, but still it can be hit and miss to find what one needs, when one needs it.
3) The earlies are EARLY (0400h) and the lates are LATE (0400h). That said, they have an excellent fatigue system, and are positively improving the rostering.

Last edited by throwaway85; 3rd Oct 2023 at 15:22. Reason: clarity
throwaway85 is offline  
Old 25th Sep 2023, 13:42
  #25 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: FL270
Posts: 14
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Company HQ is in Leeds, but you'll only go there for training unless you're also based there. There are bases all over (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Newcastle, Leeds, Manchester, Liverpool, Derby, Birmingham, Stansted & Bristol), except the southeast.

throwaway85 is offline  
Old 25th Sep 2023, 15:12
  #26 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Out of a bag
Posts: 650
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by throwaway85
Company HQ is in Leeds, but you'll only go there for training unless you're also based there. There are bases all over (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Newcastle, Leeds, Manchester, Liverpool, Derby, Birmingham, Stansted & Bristol), except the southeast.
For now...
Flying Wild is offline  
Old 25th Sep 2023, 18:58
  #27 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: F410
Posts: 45
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by throwaway85
Company HQ is in Leeds, but you'll only go there for training unless you're also based there. There are bases all over (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Newcastle, Leeds, Manchester, Liverpool, Derby, Birmingham, Stansted & Bristol), except the southeast.
pretty sure STN is in the south east Ö
monkey.tennis is offline  
Old 26th Sep 2023, 09:55
  #28 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Location, Location
Posts: 679
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by monkey.tennis
pretty sure STN is in the south east Ö
<br /><br />According to my Londoner friends, you'd need to determine the latitude of Stansted in relation to Watford Gap, which puts it firmly in the South-East.
Mr Good Cat is offline  
Old 3rd Oct 2023, 15:15
  #29 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: FL270
Posts: 14
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lol - I guess STN is in the southeast, but a pain to get to from Kent/Sussex. There have been persistent rumours of a Gatwick/Southampton base which have so far come to nothing. With that said there were rumours of 10x A330's, and a £30k bonus too.... I guess it gives folks something to talk about on the way back from Turkey at 3am. Jet2 management is both good at communicating what they're doing, and good at keeping plans under wraps until they want them made public.

I did forget the new base - Liverpool - that'll open up next year.
throwaway85 is offline  
Old 11th Oct 2023, 21:01
  #30 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Timbuktu
Posts: 10
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A few extra questions if I may please:

Do you mainly do two sector days?
Do you do night stops or is it usually there and back?
Where are the simulators based?
What is the salary uplift for Training Captains?

Thanks
sidestick320 is offline  
Old 11th Oct 2023, 21:21
  #31 (permalink)  
Gender Faculty Specialist
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Stop being so stupid, it's Sean's turn
Posts: 1,839
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sidestick320
A few extra questions if I may please:

Do you mainly do two sector days?
Do you do night stops or is it usually there and back?
Where are the simulators based?
What is the salary uplift for Training Captains?

Thanks
Mostly 2 sector days, there may be a very few 4 sector days from LBA.

Nightstops, except for the sim, are very rare. I've done 3 in the last 2 years or so. 2 tech and 1 planned but it was only a night.

Sims in Bradford and Manchester.

Dunno. Not enough. LTC is about 14k gross.
Chesty Morgan is offline  
Old 11th Oct 2023, 21:52
  #32 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Timbuktu
Posts: 10
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Chesty Morgan.

Is there a system for bidding for days off, earlies/lates, long/short sectors etc?
sidestick320 is offline  
Old 12th Oct 2023, 19:27
  #33 (permalink)  
Gender Faculty Specialist
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Stop being so stupid, it's Sean's turn
Posts: 1,839
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
There has been an AM/PM preference trial during the summer alongside various part time working options which are going to be rolled out company wide next year.

Generally earlies are short(ish) and the lates are usually longer.

But no bidding system per se. You request what you want and you might get it then you're on it for the foreseeable. Although if you choose a part time option they can't guarantee a full time option will be available down the line.
Chesty Morgan is offline  
Old 31st Oct 2023, 16:04
  #34 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: UK
Posts: 14
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Boeing 7E7
New joiners in tui get a pretty poor deal. It’s a part time contract with reduced pay. Jet 2 offers a much better package with significantly better long term career prospects.
Arguably time to command is indeed shorter at JET2, being a meritocracy and not a seniority based airline. That being said, TUI at the moment has some of the shortest time to command in its recent history. This recent bid, 73 upgrades were issued for next year, with guys and girls getting their commands who joined at the end of 2017.

I agree the contract for new joiners isn't as favourable as perhaps Jet2 though. 81.3% contract, full time summer and random off periods in the winter. A few part time FOs were given full time in the most recent bid, who had been with TUI approx 2.5 years - but IMO all new pilots should have been recruited onto full time! The flip side is despite joining on 81.3%, you can easily earn a substantial amount in overtime if you are flexible in those summer months. Full time FO's comfortably earn over 100k plus in a year.

Just to touch on "JET2 has significantly better long term career prospects" - it depends what you want out of your career. A career solely operating short haul, or the opportunity to experience both short and long haul flying.

In relation to the comment below regarding TUI not being around, I personally would find that hard to believe given load factors over 95% on average for the summer and rumours of very strong financials being released at end of year.
SEBBES is offline  
Old 31st Oct 2023, 21:06
  #35 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: London
Posts: 61
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SEBBES
Arguably time to command is indeed shorter at JET2, being a meritocracy and not a seniority based airline. That being said, TUI at the moment has some of the shortest time to command in its recent history. This recent bid, 73 upgrades were issued for next year, with guys and girls getting their commands who joined at the end of 2017.

I agree the contract for new joiners isn't as favourable as perhaps Jet2 though. 81.3% contract, full time summer and random off periods in the winter. A few part time FOs were given full time in the most recent bid, who had been with TUI approx 2.5 years - but IMO all new pilots should have been recruited onto full time! The flip side is despite joining on 81.3%, you can easily earn a substantial amount in overtime if you are flexible in those summer months. Full time FO's comfortably earn over 100k plus in a year.

Just to touch on "JET2 has significantly better long term career prospects" - it depends what you want out of your career. A career solely operating short haul, or the opportunity to experience both short and long haul flying.

In relation to the comment below regarding TUI not being around, I personally would find that hard to believe given load factors over 95% on average for the summer and rumours of very strong financials being released at end of year.

A very well rounded view on TUI - however the time to command is not going to continue as it is currently. The 70 or so per annum is not the norm. Upgrade is still 6-10 years and those on the 81.3 will remain on it even after upgrading. 4 FTE being issued this year essentially means that it would take 20 years to become FTE. The company simply do not want it. Yes, you can earn vast sums in the Summer, however this comes at a huge cost to time off and fatigue. Furthermore as crewing numbers are resolved, flexi will dwindle. The sad fact is TUI is a million miles from being a premium employer of choice as it once was and the T&Cs have been ruined by selfish and incompetent past members of the CC. The vast numbers of those leaving for Jet2, VA and DHL are testament to this. The replacements will be made up of ex mill or cadets with little to no experience. Wonderful colleagues and easy days out but unless youíd like time off in the winter months to travel with nothing in return, donít touch TUI with a MAX sized barge poll.
flyboy146 is offline  
Old 31st Oct 2023, 22:00
  #36 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: UK
Posts: 14
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by flyboy146
A very well rounded view on TUI - however the time to command is not going to continue as it is currently. The 70 or so per annum is not the norm. Upgrade is still 6-10 years and those on the 81.3 will remain on it even after upgrading. 4 FTE being issued this year essentially means that it would take 20 years to become FTE. The company simply do not want it. Yes, you can earn vast sums in the Summer, however this comes at a huge cost to time off and fatigue. Furthermore as crewing numbers are resolved, flexi will dwindle. The sad fact is TUI is a million miles from being a premium employer of choice as it once was and the T&Cs have been ruined by selfish and incompetent past members of the CC. The vast numbers of those leaving for Jet2, VA and DHL are testament to this. The replacements will be made up of ex mill or cadets with little to no experience. Wonderful colleagues and easy days out but unless youíd like time off in the winter months to travel with nothing in return, donít touch TUI with a MAX sized barge poll.
Agreed - the command number will likely not hit anything like that number again anytime soon, but looking at the retirement numbers (which were made viewable on the cc forum some time ago) for the upcoming years, its fair to assume it will stay at a reasonable level for the foreseeable. Although you make a good point regarding the 81.3% contract, I hadn't even given it a thought that those guys and girls may only be offered command on said contract - that's hopefully a fight the CC can and will take another day..

I disagree that only 4 a year will be made full time though. I assume you weren't in the company 6/7 years ago when every single FO joined on a part time contract, and then they were all made up at the same time overnight to full time. 6 months is a long time in aviation. Anything can and will change. Who is to say that JET2 with all of their new aircraft on leases with expensive winter downtime wont look to do the same thing in the future for their crew? Anything is possible in my opinion.

"Flexi will dwindle" - Ill believe it when I see it. I have heard that every winter for years now and nothing ever changes - maybe one day it will..

I agree completely that the TUI job offer is not what is used to be, and that is a shame. Professional pilots should be offered professional contracts. Vast numbers leaving? I empathise and respect their choice if so - but if they are leaving looking for the golden ticket gig, I think that all ended about 2 decades ago!
SEBBES is offline  
Old 1st Nov 2023, 08:19
  #37 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Earth
Posts: 200
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jet2 already offer part time though. My mate joined them just under 2 years ago. Heís on 75% contract still with them.

Speaking with colleagues TUI seems to have changed a lot from when they joined. Then again everywhere has. I donít know anywhere that is rosy.
Command at BA went to the bottom of the list recently. 18 months in BA I think it was. I know a few for sure who joined 2019 who got LHS earlier this year.
Even with the recent pay deal I still think LHS pay under 5 years at BA is on the low side.
AIMINGHIGH123 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.