Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Flight Deck Forums > Terms and Endearment
Reload this Page >

J2 A320 FO position.

Terms and Endearment The forum the bean counters hoped would never happen. Your news on pay, rostering, allowances, extras and negotiations where you work - scheduled, charter or contract.

J2 A320 FO position.

Old 25th Nov 2019, 00:29
  #21 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: hang on let me check
Posts: 493
Originally Posted by flocci_non_faccio View Post
The salary is competitive against any other similar position in the UK (better than competitive when you take hours actually flown into account). The bases tend to suit because they're where we want to be; i.e. regional, close to home.

Not sure what's hard to understand about that.
You are not sure whatís hard to understand because I would guess your experience is limited to airline flying in europe. You can easily make 3 times that, in very nice places around the world (NOT china), in a very interesting and stimulating environment.This is why I was asking.

But like I said, I suspect the interest is mainly given by being based where one wants, and a nice working environment, which I agree are nice benefits to have.

What is worrying to hear though, is people at BA considering this job. And itís not even the first time I see this. Incredible.
bringbackthe80s is online now  
Old 25th Nov 2019, 01:23
  #22 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 76
Originally Posted by bringbackthe80s View Post


You are not sure whatís hard to understand because I would guess your experience is limited to airline flying in europe. You can easily make 3 times that, in very nice places around the world (NOT china), in a very interesting and stimulating environment.This is why I was asking.

But like I said, I suspect the interest is mainly given by being based where one wants, and a nice working environment, which I agree are nice benefits to have.

What is worrying to hear though, is people at BA considering this job. And itís not even the first time I see this. Incredible.
How is that worrying? Utterly baffling. BA just had a strike, unless youíre from the London area it involves considerable commuting.
A lot of people make decisions on more than money. Some folks, me for one. Value being at home close to family. Instead of in the desert, or China or anywhere else for that matter. Home every night to my family, no commuting. Priceless.
Byrne11 is offline  
Old 25th Nov 2019, 07:25
  #23 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: hang on let me check
Posts: 493
Originally Posted by Byrne11 View Post


How is that worrying? Utterly baffling. BA just had a strike, unless youíre from the London area it involves considerable commuting.
A lot of people make decisions on more than money. Some folks, me for one. Value being at home close to family. Instead of in the desert, or China or anywhere else for that matter. Home every night to my family, no commuting. Priceless.
What can I tell you. Whatever floats your boat
bringbackthe80s is online now  
Old 25th Nov 2019, 13:37
  #24 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Uk
Posts: 6
Originally Posted by Byrne11 View Post


How is that worrying? Utterly baffling. BA just had a strike, unless youíre from the London area it involves considerable commuting.
A lot of people make decisions on more than money. Some folks, me for one. Value being at home close to family. Instead of in the desert, or China or anywhere else for that matter. Home every night to my family, no commuting. Priceless.
I work for the same outfit that you do, and I love it here for exactly those reasons!
Pumal1w is offline  
Old 25th Nov 2019, 14:26
  #25 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Brexland
Posts: 25
BBthe80s please direct me to where I can get paid three times my salary without going to China, genuinely interested, I have had a look about and jobs paying £16,500 a month net and £9000 a month pension don't seem to be popping up?
Whitemonk Returns is offline  
Old 25th Nov 2019, 15:02
  #26 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: UK
Posts: 43
What is worrying to hear though, is people at BA considering this job. And it’s not even the first time I see this. Incredible.
​​​​Perhaps more of a reflection of a deterioration at BA, coupled with an ongoing improvement at Jet2. The Jet2 lifestyle seems to suit a lot of folk.

I could be wrong, but the fact folk are now leaving BA for other carriers is quite a statement of how far conditions/lifestyle at BA have fallen (even more so when compared to other flag/legacy type carriers).

​​​​​​Seems to be a Profit not People management culture at BA.
Fletch is offline  
Old 25th Nov 2019, 21:19
  #27 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Either the back of a sim, or wherever Crewing send me.
Posts: 914
What is worrying to hear though, is people at BA considering this job. And itís not even the first time I see this. Incredible.
I’ve got news for you, we have had numerous BA pilots join us over the last couple of years, all citing lifestyle.
Johnny F@rt Pants is offline  
Old 26th Nov 2019, 00:14
  #28 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Under the table
Posts: 186
I doubt they were very senior at BA!
Stocious is offline  
Old 26th Nov 2019, 01:40
  #29 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Thailand
Posts: 3
Originally Posted by Johnny [email protected] Pants View Post
Iíve got news for you, we have had numerous BA pilots join us over the last couple of years, all citing lifestyle.
Which is so great that they recently went on strike...
Flydajet is offline  
Old 26th Nov 2019, 11:42
  #30 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: hang on let me check
Posts: 493
Iím always a bit puzzled when someone who decided to be an airline pilot has as his highest priority being home every night, and possibly never ever leave his home town.
Like I said, to each their own.
bringbackthe80s is online now  
Old 26th Nov 2019, 12:05
  #31 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Under the table
Posts: 186
I guess some people actually want to spend some time with their family and friends.
Stocious is offline  
Old 26th Nov 2019, 12:21
  #32 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Out of a bag
Posts: 512
Originally Posted by bringbackthe80s View Post
Iím always a bit puzzled when someone who decided to be an airline pilot has as his highest priority being home every night, and possibly never ever leave his home town.
Like I said, to each their own.
Interesting comment. When I started flying I was single and my goal was to get into BA and see the world. Then I got married, then I had kids. It's amazing what having a family will do to your outlook. I quickly realised that I did not want to spend my life killing time in a random city waiting to get back home when I could be home every night. Granted, it might be in the middle of the night, but at least I can still kiss my children goodnight and sleep next to my wife.

My priority is Family, then work. I'm glad that I can fly for a profitable, expanding airline which delivers excellent customer service and is only 30-40 mins from home. It also pays fairly well - yes, it could always be better, but having done just under 600 hours in the last 12 months I'm fairly happy with my lot in life.
Flying Wild is offline  
Old 26th Nov 2019, 15:09
  #33 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: London
Age: 40
Posts: 119
Originally Posted by Stocious View Post
I doubt they were very senior at BA!
Most came from within the bubble and the other few were very junior indeed.
Jumbo2 is offline  
Old 26th Nov 2019, 16:21
  #34 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Thailand
Posts: 3
Originally Posted by Flying Wild View Post
I'm glad that I can fly for an airline.... which delivers excellent customer service.
I thought you said you fly for BA?
Flydajet is offline  
Old 27th Nov 2019, 08:35
  #35 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Uk
Posts: 6
Originally Posted by Flying Wild View Post
Interesting comment. When I started flying I was single and my goal was to get into BA and see the world. Then I got married, then I had kids. It's amazing what having a family will do to your outlook. I quickly realised that I did not want to spend my life killing time in a random city waiting to get back home when I could be home every night. Granted, it might be in the middle of the night, but at least I can still kiss my children goodnight and sleep next to my wife.

My priority is Family, then work. I'm glad that I can fly for a profitable, expanding airline which delivers excellent customer service and is only 30-40 mins from home. It also pays fairly well - yes, it could always be better, but having done just under 600 hours in the last 12 months I'm fairly happy with my lot in life.
Spot on! After spending over 15 years with a long haul lifestyle, Iím now spending every night at home, with a fixed roster, with my family/kids.

Certainly makes me realise what Iíve been missing over the years.....
Pumal1w is offline  
Old 27th Nov 2019, 10:33
  #36 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Out of a bag
Posts: 512
Originally Posted by Flydajet View Post
I thought you said you fly for BA?
Iíve never said that...
Flying Wild is offline  
Old 28th Nov 2019, 06:38
  #37 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: T16
Posts: 5
+1 for spending every night at home.
The job is there to pay for the lifestyle I want. Nothing more than that.
flocci_non_faccio is offline  
Old 28th Nov 2019, 11:30
  #38 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 23
Originally Posted by bringbackthe80s View Post
Iím always a bit puzzled when someone who decided to be an airline pilot has as his highest priority being home every night, and possibly never ever leave his home town.
Like I said, to each their own.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion. However once you have kids this opinion changes pretty quickly!
gliderone is offline  
Old 5th Dec 2019, 10:22
  #39 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Earth
Posts: 259
Does Jet2 offer part time options i.e. 75% or 50% year round?

If they do, I assume you start full time and apply to go part time after a few years service?
CEJM is offline  
Old 5th Dec 2019, 12:09
  #40 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Brexland
Posts: 25
You will join on a 75% contract straight away if you dont have previous jet experience and optional winter leave options are available immediately as far as I'm aware, you have to bid for OWL but I don't know anyone who dosent get it unless you are a trainer, then it gets a bit more complicated. They have just introduced fixed part time contracts of varying length, with all of the time off over the winter, but you need to have at least one years service to apply I believe.

They are also mandated to discuss flexible working options for people but you generally need a VERY good reason to bag one of those, generally some high level family commitments such as caring for a parent/child.
Whitemonk Returns is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.