Terms and Endearment The forum the bean counters hoped would never happen. Your news on pay, rostering, allowances, extras and negotiations where you work - scheduled, charter or contract.

Wizzair

Old 2nd May 2019, 19:51
  #881 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Amantido
Posts: 698
Good question. I follow it. The perfect base for me would be Budapest because it has daily flights to my home city, but that is very senior, just like Warsaw and Vienna.
Banana Joe is offline  
Old 4th May 2019, 07:15
  #882 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Earth
Posts: 2
Hello,

I applied 1 month ago (cadet NTR), how much time do I need to expect to have a reply?
Xuri is offline  
Old 4th May 2019, 19:46
  #883 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Amantido
Posts: 698
Anybody commuting to a base where the floating contract is available?
Banana Joe is offline  
Old 4th May 2019, 21:54
  #884 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: South of the North pole
Posts: 160
What are the junior bases assigned if given a job offer as an SFO?

Can you request a base and if so what are the chances of getting your choice especially something like Sibiu, Bucharest, Timisoara or Cluj in Romania as well as any other European bases?
Daddy Fantastic is offline  
Old 5th May 2019, 04:52
  #885 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Germany
Posts: 17
Originally Posted by Xuri View Post
Hello,

I applied 1 month ago (cadet NTR), how much time do I need to expect to have a reply?
Get a profile on linked in and get in touch with the HR people personally ...
flyster is offline  
Old 5th May 2019, 06:32
  #886 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Germany
Posts: 17
Originally Posted by Daddy Fantastic View Post
What are the junior bases assigned if given a job offer as an SFO?

Can you request a base and if so what are the chances of getting your choice especially something like Sibiu, Bucharest, Timisoara or Cluj in Romania as well as any other European bases?
Nobody can tell you that - but for Cluj there were lately availabilities according to my sources .. the question is .. what is available after you join.
flyster is offline  
Old 14th May 2019, 09:26
  #887 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Europe
Posts: 30
SKP,KIV,KUT,IAS,CRA.....
LNAV737 is offline  
Old 14th May 2019, 17:25
  #888 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: South of the North pole
Posts: 160
Originally Posted by LNAV737 View Post
SKP,KIV,KUT,IAS,CRA.....
Thanks for the info, how long before you can move to a preferred base?

Also do you know how long an upgrade is for experienced pilots with 6000 total and over 3000 jet and 2300 twin turbo prop?

How desperate are Wizzair for pilots at the moment as well?
Daddy Fantastic is offline  
Old 15th May 2019, 13:40
  #889 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Europe
Posts: 81
Originally Posted by Daddy Fantastic View Post
Thanks for the info, how long before you can move to a preferred base?

Also do you know how long an upgrade is for experienced pilots with 6000 total and over 3000 jet and 2300 twin turbo prop?

How desperate are Wizzair for pilots at the moment as well?
You can never know, depends on the situation in the base you are in and in the base that you want to go to, all from 1 month to 1 year. Upgrade with that amount of hours will be I guess 100 sectors or so, and timing depends on where you will do the training, from 1.5 months to 2.5 months.

Wizz has enough pilots at the moment for the summer, so they are not desperate anymore, but it can quickly change so keep sending your CV. Good luck.
SoundLesS is offline  
Old 15th May 2019, 20:26
  #890 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: South of the North pole
Posts: 160
Originally Posted by SoundLesS View Post
You can never know, depends on the situation in the base you are in and in the base that you want to go to, all from 1 month to 1 year. Upgrade with that amount of hours will be I guess 100 sectors or so, and timing depends on where you will do the training, from 1.5 months to 2.5 months.

Wizz has enough pilots at the moment for the summer, so they are not desperate anymore, but it can quickly change so keep sending your CV. Good luck.
SoundLesS,

Thanks for the info, much appreciated. I was admittedly under the impression Wizz was short of pilots but then again I don’t work there. They must have gotten a recent injection from somewhere.

How do they assign bases to new hires? Is it just where the company has a need or do they make a concerted effort to try get you one of your top 3 picks?

Also where do they do the type rating training and what are the hotels they keep you in like?

Daddy Fantastic is offline  
Old 15th May 2019, 21:21
  #891 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: World
Posts: 1,549
You asked the same question about the hotels and type rating location in December, and you got all the answers. Nothing changed in 5 months.

If they need pilots in one of your preferences thatís good, otherwise you have to take what they give you.
I am sure you are aware that some of the cities they have a base in are downright miserable.

Not a lot of growth expected in 2019, plus the amount of applications they get has always been greater than the pilots they need.
If you are not from eastern europe, you are an FO and without type rating, your chances to be called for an assessment are not very high, statistically speaking. And usually out of around 20 that partecipate in the assessment, only around 4 or 5 make it to the end, sometimes less.
dirk85 is offline  
Old 16th May 2019, 07:35
  #892 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Vilnius
Posts: 34
Originally Posted by dirk85 View Post
Not a lot of growth expected in 2019, plus the amount of applications they get has always been greater than the pilots they need.
If you are not from eastern europe, you are an FO and without type rating, your chances to be called for an assessment are not very high, statistically speaking. And usually out of around 20 that partecipate in the assessment, only around 4 or 5 make it to the end, sometimes less.
This is really interesting piece of information.
When was the break point in time when Wizz went from "desperately needing pilots" to "we have the amount we need"?
Are there any signs they'll be masively needing (much) more pilots in the near future?
4-5 candidates passing till the very end out of group of 20 clearly shows that there isn't any pilot shortage... Or am I wrong?

I'm not in aviation industry (yet); here at the company I work for, our department has got vacant positions for already like 7-14 months with no suitable candidates... There's not a chance there would be 5 people competing to those positions; meanwhile we really need those specialists. That's what I call a shortage and not the case when you have 20 applicants to choose from... Just my $0.02
hid3 is offline  
Old 16th May 2019, 09:20
  #893 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: World
Posts: 1,549
Even a few years ago when they were growing much more they never had problems to find NTR FOs. Most of the people I know were never called for an assessment. They have a lot of applications.
Same for me, I applied many times, even with jet time, but the only way to get a shot for an interview was to go to one of their open days...
There is not, and never will be a shortage of non type rated unexperienced copilots, donít believe what you read in the articles.

DECs are an whole different story.

They have hundreds of planes on order, and unless they sell them, the next years they will still hire a lot.
dirk85 is offline  
Old 16th May 2019, 10:08
  #894 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Amantido
Posts: 698
I have my interview in a few days. I applied a month ago, the following day I did the video interview and two days later I received the invitation to their Training Centre. That's why I've asked some questions here.
I'm from southern Europe , NTR but currently flying on another CS-25 aircraft but with less than 500 hours.

​​​​​​
Banana Joe is offline  
Old 16th May 2019, 10:55
  #895 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 926
Add to the fact that there a few rated pilots from Monarch and Wow available on the market, and they will probably get offers first both FO's and DECs when they need.
2unlimited is offline  
Old 16th May 2019, 13:09
  #896 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: World
Posts: 1,549
Originally Posted by hid3 View Post
This is really interesting piece of information.
When was the break point in time when Wizz went from "desperately needing pilots" to "we have the amount we need"?
Are there any signs they'll be masively needing (much) more pilots in the near future?
4-5 candidates passing till the very end out of group of 20 clearly shows that there isn't any pilot shortage... Or am I wrong?

I'm not in aviation industry (yet); here at the company I work for, our department has got vacant positions for already like 7-14 months with no suitable candidates... There's not a chance there would be 5 people competing to those positions; meanwhile we really need those specialists. That's what I call a shortage and not the case when you have 20 applicants to choose from... Just my $0.02
Pilot shortage is a myth, mainly sold by flight schools.

PS: I was based in Vilnius, and loved every second I spent there.
dirk85 is offline  
Old 16th May 2019, 13:18
  #897 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Vilnius
Posts: 34
I've read your previous in this thread about your work at Vilnius base and Wizz experience. Glad you liked this place - I also like my city very much. Quite nice and modern one, with decent salaries and not so big living expenses.

And yeah, I was told by a few people that the "pilot shortage" is a myth but.... I already pulled the trigger to join a flight school.
Reasons for that is our company will be closing the Lithuania site (ironically but due to lack of skilled personnel available in this market ). Since I feel tired from office work (9-18 h) and in general I'm more technical person, so decided to try myself in something what would make my brain crowded a bit more, not 9-6 schedule and technical... Worst case scenario, if I won't be able to find a job at an airline, these will be probably the most excitingly spent two years and great experience... Starting 0-fATPL course on the 10th of June...
hid3 is offline  
Old 16th May 2019, 14:25
  #898 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: World
Posts: 1,549
Well, good luck with your new career path then!
dirk85 is offline  
Old 17th May 2019, 16:19
  #899 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Europe
Posts: 30
100 sectors ? I donít think so ....40 if u have more than 3500 factorized hours or 60 if u are below that number ...100 sectors even cadets donít do unless u join as a FO straight to the left seat than is 150.
LNAV737 is offline  
Old 17th May 2019, 16:33
  #900 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Europe
Posts: 30
Answer

Originally Posted by Daddy Fantastic View Post
Thanks for the info, how long before you can move to a preferred base?

Also do you know how long an upgrade is for experienced pilots with 6000 total and over 3000 jet and 2300 twin turbo prop?

How desperate are Wizzair for pilots at the moment as well?
Depends on the base u are looking for ...BUD,WAW or VIE are gonna keep u waiting for a while before u get it .......based on your experience it should take around one year to get your command ....and thatís optimistic at this moment.Instead u might give a shot joining on ďrapid commandĒ But if u do make sure that u are really ready for it.Training is long,exausting and demanding and people do fail.Wizzair has a good training and even though it seems like an ďeasy prayĒ jumping to the left seat will make u sweat for it big time, any poor performance wonít be tolerated.PM for more info.
LNAV737 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.