Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Flight Deck Forums > Tech Log
Reload this Page >

reverse before touch down

Tech Log The very best in practical technical discussion on the web

reverse before touch down

Old 28th Feb 2019, 19:47
  #21 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: shiny side up
Posts: 431
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wasnt that long ago when there werent reverse thruster locks...one could deploy them at any altitude.

then there is also this
Smythe is offline  
Old 28th Feb 2019, 22:49
  #22 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: 60 north
Age: 59
Posts: 17
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smythe
That was SOP in ScotAirways in GLA in 1999. Even with a 90` turn.
Note to self: Do not use brakes to stop!
( Dornier 328 TurboProp)
BluSdUp is offline  
Old 28th Feb 2019, 23:03
  #23 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: my easychair
Posts: 31
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grrr

seen it done on dc8 43 series. Better be at altitude or real close to the ground or it could be nasty.
slack is offline  
Old 28th Feb 2019, 23:05
  #24 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Perth, WESTERN AUSTRALIA
Age: 71
Posts: 892
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by BluSdUp
Smythe
That was SOP in ScotAirways in GLA in 1999. Even with a 90` turn.
........
And a wing mirror on a selfie stick?

WingNut60 is offline  
Old 1st Mar 2019, 01:16
  #25 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Hiding..... in one hemisphere or another
Posts: 1,067
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Also done by pilots on the 747s to land on short runways.
Ummm... what?????
Atlas Shrugged is offline  
Old 1st Mar 2019, 01:43
  #26 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Wanderlust
Posts: 3,408
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Also done by pilots on the 747s to land on short runways
Not unless doing some shady work. Not at all recommended or required.
vilas is offline  
Old 1st Mar 2019, 10:45
  #27 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: shiny side up
Posts: 431
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There was a crash when a 767 deployed reverse thrust at 24,000...cant remember the year.
Smythe is offline  
Old 1st Mar 2019, 10:50
  #28 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Having a margarita on the beach
Posts: 2,430
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is there seriously any professional pilot who advises on deploying thrusts reversers prior to touchdown ?
sonicbum is offline  
Old 1st Mar 2019, 11:21
  #29 (permalink)  
Pegase Driver
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 1997
Location: Europe
Age: 74
Posts: 3,699
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Smythe
There was a crash when a 767 deployed reverse thrust at 24,000...cant remember the year.
Lauda air Bangkok 1991. But it was uncommanded on one engine only , the disymmetry caused the unrecoverable loss of control .
ATC Watcher is offline  
Old 1st Mar 2019, 11:34
  #30 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: DUS
Posts: 65
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sonicbum
Is there seriously any professional pilot who advises on deploying thrusts reversers prior to touchdown ?
Well on the old IL-62 it was a part of the landing procedure as far as I remember
bumpy737 is offline  
Old 1st Mar 2019, 12:42
  #31 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: uk
Posts: 778
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That was a standard technique that could be employed on DH Tridents - reverse in the flare - but that was 40+ years ago!

PS I do believe that the BEA/BA Trident pilots counted as professional pilots!
Meikleour is offline  
Old 1st Mar 2019, 12:58
  #32 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: UK
Posts: 60
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is it true that the RAF TriStars could apply reverse thrust before landing? Many year ago I was told that they competed to make the shortest landing at Stanley airport using revers thrust after the Falklands War
HowardB is offline  
Old 1st Mar 2019, 15:40
  #33 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Reading, UK
Posts: 15,844
Received 213 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by Meikleour
PS I do believe that the BEA/BA Trident pilots counted as professional pilots!
Ditto DC-8 pilots.
DaveReidUK is offline  
Old 1st Mar 2019, 17:15
  #34 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: North America
Age: 79
Posts: 206
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Back in the early 70's I saw a Swissair DC8-62 landing on runway 13 at Hong Kong Kai Tak with the reversers deploying well before touchdown (actually as it went passed the Aero Club which was where I was seated).. This was before the runway was lengthened and the aircraft looked a bit fast over the fence.
Also wasn't there an Alitalia DC8-62 written off at Sydney after a heavy landing because the pilot had selected reverse on the inboards in flight to expedite his descent and forgot about them until he tried to apply power on short finals?
CV880 is offline  
Old 1st Mar 2019, 18:26
  #35 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Reading, UK
Posts: 15,844
Received 213 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by CV880
Also wasn't there an Alitalia DC8-62 written off at Sydney after a heavy landing because the pilot had selected reverse on the inboards in flight to expedite his descent and forgot about them until he tried to apply power on short finals?
Yes, though it was at JFK rather than SYD.

DaveReidUK is offline  
Old 1st Mar 2019, 23:20
  #36 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Everett, WA
Age: 68
Posts: 4,432
Received 187 Likes on 90 Posts
No current production Boeing Commercial Aircraft allows the selection of reverse until the air/ground logic has been satisfied. In the case of the 737 the use of radio altimeter may mean you're not quite on the ground - but deploying them before actual touchdown is not approved and can be very hard on the aircraft (and perhaps your flying career). When the reversers deploy, the efflux kills the lift on that wing (as we discovered very unpleasantly on Lauda) and the aircraft drops like a rock. Plus, if one reverser fails to deploy for some reason you're also going to get a nasty roll at a bad time.

I'm with sonicbum. While it was possible (and even approved) on some older aircraft types, it's a very, very bad idea to try it on any current Boeing.
tdracer is offline  
Old 2nd Mar 2019, 02:14
  #37 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: NEW YORK
Posts: 1,352
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tdracer
No current production Boeing Commercial Aircraft allows the selection of reverse until the air/ground logic has been satisfied. In the case of the 737 the use of radio altimeter may mean you're not quite on the ground - but deploying them before actual touchdown is not approved and can be very hard on the aircraft (and perhaps your flying career). When the reversers deploy, the efflux kills the lift on that wing (as we discovered very unpleasantly on Lauda) and the aircraft drops like a rock. Plus, if one reverser fails to deploy for some reason you're also going to get a nasty roll at a bad time.

I'm with sonicbum. While it was possible (and even approved) on some older aircraft types, it's a very, very bad idea to try it on any current Boeing.
Was there not an Air Canada DC-8 that landed very hard due to early reverse thrust, was taken back up and crashed with all aboard lost? A very, very bad idea indeed for any civil transport.
etudiant is offline  
Old 2nd Mar 2019, 02:45
  #38 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: my easychair
Posts: 31
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
reverse thrust

nope spoilers deployed prior to touchdown. big bounce, ripped off engine, opened wing and fuel caught fire. Game over crashed north of airport. cyyz All perished.
slack is offline  
Old 2nd Mar 2019, 04:42
  #39 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Where it is comfortable...
Age: 60
Posts: 911
Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts
Applying R/T on the outboards (only those had reversers) during flare was SOP on the IL-62. It had no leading edge slats, and was necessary to avoid floating in ground effect with the very efficient wing (for those times) at a high angle of attack. Mind you, originally it had a five person fight deck...
Good video here:
andrasz is offline  
Old 2nd Mar 2019, 05:06
  #40 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: FL370
Age: 38
Posts: 217
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sonicbum
Is there seriously any professional pilot who advises on deploying thrusts reversers prior to touchdown ?
Yes, I can name a few. All pilots of classic aircraft such as the 707/A300/747 combis..
Ilyushin76 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.