Wikiposts
Search
Spectators Balcony (Spotters Corner) If you're not a professional pilot but want to discuss issues about the job, this is the best place to loiter. You won't be moved on by 'security' and there'll be plenty of experts to answer any questions.

Ba Concord And T5

Search this Thread

Old 31st Aug 2008, 19:01

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ba Concord And T5

Just a quick question. Am I correct in thinking that Concord is going to be moved to t5, only reason being is that she is still parked up around the back at lhr. Can someone put me in the picture please...Thanks in advance....
Old 31st Aug 2008, 19:55

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I do hope it's going there. I have memories of being on the flight deck of G-BOAB in flight, probably drunk, with my video camera, quite some years ago. Try doing that now as SLF Look forward to seeing it there next time I go through T5.
Old 31st Aug 2008, 20:18

Not sure if this is going to ever happen now,as the place it was apparently going to be put on display at T5 is now impossible to get to due the infrastructure around it!. Also i think that there were some concerns over acts of vandalism/terrorism to the aircraft as it would have been outside the security fence etc. As it stands at the moment i think it will stay where it is on the East maintenance base,as it is the best place for "care and maintenance" of the airframe.
At present there are several plans for the reconfiguration and rebuilding of the Eastern maintenance base in light of the A380 coming along in a few years,so for what its worth,my take on this is that it will eventually be preserved on display somewhere in the Hatton Cross area.
Old 31st Aug 2008, 20:42

Chaps..... thanks for passing on your info. Chinooker with what you say I think she is parked in the best place for her. What a site that will Be an A380 Next to concord...
Old 31st Aug 2008, 22:12

Sorry to be pedantic, but it is Concorde

Old 1st Sep 2008, 06:23

Actually, I was going to say that too, but I thought it was a bit pedantic.. Glad it will be preserved.
Old 1st Sep 2008, 07:32

Wink

Sorry chaps, I thought it looked incorrect , appologies to the young girl. I think I was having an old blighty momet, was it not the french who wanted the "e" on the end of Concord. All in good taste of course......
Old 1st Sep 2008, 07:35

I very much doubt it will ever end up displayed in the H X area, more likely if it is not cut up it will have to found a new home at another airfield. BA is not interested in preserving it and why should they anyway.
Old 2nd Sep 2008, 08:24

HZ123

Prestige, heritage, reputation.. all contributing to an excellent piece of advertising for years to come. . am I being nostalgic and overly precious? Maybe..

BA are not having to maintain the aircraft to fly are they ? Simply keeping the thing clean and in good shape.. is that all that expensive ? No
Old 2nd Sep 2008, 08:53

It takes up a parking space that could be utilised by another aircraft. We have spent the last couple of years shunting it from one location to another. BAA do not want it and when you say it should not cost much to keep it 'have a look at the outside aircraft at Duxford' the exterior deteriorates very quickly and after a couple of years there are issues with undercarriage and other bits and pieces. I am sure a decision will be made within the next 12 months as to its future. However I agree with your views.
Old 2nd Sep 2008, 09:30

They should bring back the Concorde model and park THAT by the roundabout for T5... a nice BA logo with the Concorde 'taking off' over it. I know... I'm sentimental, but the old girl does not deserve to be left where she is. The real babe is too expensive to keep in shape with the amount of exhaust fumes and rain and whatnot corroding her outsides.

S.
Old 2nd Sep 2008, 09:35

I can understand your points regarding space issues, and the exterior requiring some attention every couple of years that can turn out to be an expense to BA...

I feel it's a shame that BAA can't create a spotters park like they have done at Manchester.. OK I don't agree with the price it costs to park your car (£4-5 I believe) but a Concorde is on display along with a 146 and the money taken from spotters clearly contributes to maintenance costs.
Old 2nd Sep 2008, 14:02

I do not disagree with many of the points and am indeed all for sentiment. The problem is that neither BA or BAA has the slightest interest in the outcome and final resting place of the base SSC. It does not generate any monies.

Untill last year the SSC was utilised for some towing training and training the aircraft appearance staff (who also are the de-icing staff during winter or as required). However this was stopped because the aircrafts characteristics did not reflect any of the other types of aircraft in our fleet now and were deemed to be ineffective for training purposes.

Should anyone feel the need for postive action in respect of the final resting place for the airframe then the public must get involved in addition to the media to pressurise BA into action. You need only revisit the Trident association and the last example to be removed from LHR, BA had told them in the end that if it was not moved it would be cut up.
Old 2nd Sep 2008, 20:41

Spoke today with some of the guys who are surveying the East maintenance base for all the work that has to be done....North and West pens to be made A380 capable and the bays in TBJ/K being extended for 777-300!.....On thier plans there is also a general purpose wide bodied a/c nose in dock, planned for where Concorde and the "tarmac plant" currently sit. On asking if they knew what was going to happen to AB they said that there were "options in place" to display her at what will be the new entrance to the BA Engineering base, which will be off the new roundabout to the east of HX,(old E11? gate area). Only time will tell,but i'm sure BA will have to preserve her somewhere,especially in light of the bad pr NYC has had over the poor state the one at the Intrepid Air Park has got into! Personally i think AB would look nice preserved "gear up/nose up" on a plinth etc!....If the yanks can do it with style to B52s etc why can't we!
Old 19th Sep 2008, 16:20

Man Concorde has a newt problem

BBC NEWS | England | Manchester | Airport newts halt Concorde home
Old 19th Sep 2008, 17:45

I cannot see this happening as a spare place to park an a/c costs money. If it was put on show it would encoursge viewers and spotters to the location and i cannot see that being encouraged by BA or BAA. If it is within the complex why would the staff wish to see the a/c when they go into work. By the time this might be in place there probably will be hardly any engineering staff left anyway. Lets hope I am wrong but BA has never put anything on show at LHR, with the exception of trhe tunnel entry.
Lastly this plan has been muted for years and was also at one time the plan for a Trident 3 and look what happened to that (MAN)
Old 20th Sep 2008, 06:14

Yep WZK took up valuable space on the west base apron and BA were going to scrap it! (thats why i saved it) OAB will at some point take up valuable apron space,i have heard a rumor (and only a rumor) that OAB may end up going to Duxford!
Old 20th Sep 2008, 14:50

That would be good!! Just down the road from me!!
In my opinion, it would make more sense to have this aircraft in the Superhanger, , a production Concorde in BAA colours, than the prototype that is in there at the moment. I have to say that it would look rather nice alongside the Comet in BOAC colours [also flown in by me,].
If they would shift the Monarch Brittania in there as well, then they are starting off a nice collection of airliners I have graced with my presence in the air, which would be very nice of Duxford.
Old 20th Sep 2008, 18:41

Duxford

Visited this summer after a break of some years, I was dissapointed at the state of the herald and the exrerior parked a/c. Why is there no Budgy146 and it is made worse by the soon to be cut Belfast @ SEN . Why is everyone worried about the SSC.
Old 20th Sep 2008, 19:03

The Herald is in a bad state simply because it is being readied for restoration!!. Considering the large collection of Airliners that DAS has to look after, I think that they do extremely well considering that these aircraft are looked after by VOLUNTEERS. I have no idea why there is no BAE 146, I suppose nobody has offered one yet.
I presume, because of your unhappiness with the state of the aircraft, that you left Duxford after giving DAS a VERY LARGE DONATION to enable them to restore the aircraft to your satisfaction.
Sorry. Thought your critiscism was unhelpful and ungrateful to all the people who TRY with limited means, to keep us happy!!!.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.