Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Flight Deck Forums > Rumours & News
Reload this Page >

Norwegian Air Boeing 737MAX8 stuck in Iran

Rumours & News Reporting Points that may affect our jobs or lives as professional pilots. Also, items that may be of interest to professional pilots.

Norwegian Air Boeing 737MAX8 stuck in Iran

Old 30th Dec 2018, 18:10
  #81 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Area 51
Posts: 25
A recent Instagram post has a photo of the 737 MAX sans engine and states something like engineers attempted to fix the problem, were unsuccessful and they are now waiting on a replacement due to "paperwork" issues. I don't speak Arabic/Farsi/Persian(?)
http://www.instagram.com/p/Br-JX90BD..._web_copy_link
FlyXLsa is offline  
Old 30th Dec 2018, 23:22
  #82 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: 60 north
Age: 54
Posts: 643
Just a quick one.
RYR has ca 80 of 440 odd aircraft on the ground this winter.
Almost on spare per base.
So, if Norwegian has , say 5 or ten aircraft parked, one in Iran is inconvenient and not cheap , but not catastrophic economically.
Not like they need it now in the low season.
BluSdUp is offline  
Old 31st Dec 2018, 07:40
  #83 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: By the sea
Posts: 3,485
Originally Posted by CargoOne View Post


Such special arrangement, while being reasonably popular within the industry, is called “smuggling” in criminal law. But it doesnt work with complete engine anyway.
well it was delivered by the National airline accompanied by an airport security vehicle....whatever..
ironbutt57 is offline  
Old 31st Dec 2018, 14:28
  #84 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: London/Fort Worth
Posts: 0
The last airline I worked for had a practice of putting spares on the aircraft to 'protect the service' for any system that had multiple intermittent faults. We used to put the spares in the coat closet on the flight deck to just strapped them into the jump seat. After some queries were raised during EASA inspections at outstations the policy was changed to manifest the spares as freight and put them in the bulk cargo hold. Needless to say that after that we lost hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of spares that went missing down route when the baggage handlers decided to offload the boxes and then they were lost in the system..
BAengineer is offline  
Old 3rd Jan 2019, 09:46
  #85 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Luton
Posts: 361
I believe an engine change is definitely required and approval from OFAC is pending for the shipment of the engine to Iran. So far its been 3 weeks, with the Xmas break as well, no telling how long it will be before approval is given by the US authorities. Until then, Norwegian has to pay parking and for someone to ensure the aircraft is being stored approproately as well as having an aircraft that is less than 3 months old out of their fleet (and then having to go collect it at some point in the futureonce it is finally rectified)
clipstone1 is offline  
Old 3rd Jan 2019, 09:50
  #86 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Florida USA
Age: 55
Posts: 207
We don't get this problem with 4 motors and only three turning still gets us home...... Welcome to the 70s were planes were fast and had 3-4 engines for this very reason.
4 Holer is offline  
Old 3rd Jan 2019, 10:01
  #87 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: in the barrel
Posts: 44
Originally Posted by 4 Holer View Post
We don't get this problem with 4 motors and only three turning still gets us home...... Welcome to the 70s were planes were fast and had 3-4 engines for this very reason.
We're not dealing with flying the Atlantic or Pacific here. Plenty of airports to go in case of engine failure. The aftermath we're seeing now is purely a political issue.
AviatorDave is offline  
Old 3rd Jan 2019, 10:15
  #88 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: 60 north
Age: 54
Posts: 643
Just do it!

So , for the experts here that knows all about the US embargo.
What if Norwegian just changes the engine and get all the parts home , or exported as some would call it.
1 What can the USA do?
2 What will they do?

I think:
1 A lot!
2 Nothing!
BluSdUp is offline  
Old 3rd Jan 2019, 11:14
  #89 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Luton
Posts: 361
who knows, they could:

a) stop any payment that involves USD
b) stop any flights to and from the USA
c) arrest anyone that has breached the sanction
clipstone1 is offline  
Old 3rd Jan 2019, 13:49
  #90 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Luton
Posts: 361
Originally Posted by cappt View Post
It's insured, write it off.
think you'll find the aircraft has suffered no insured event, unless the engine failure is due to FOD or the aircraft has been confiscated, and to the best of public knowledge neither had occured. There would be exactly the same situation if a Boeing (or probably airbus) aircraft was damaged and sitting in Cuba.
clipstone1 is offline  
Old 4th Jan 2019, 07:51
  #91 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: UK
Posts: 389
There really are some ignorant posts here. Many it would seem by Americans. Outside of the great USA many western airlines fly to and from Iran as do the big Middle 3 East airlines, all of whom operate Boeing or Airbus aircraft. If one of their Boeing aircraft goes AOG in Iran on a scheduled service, it will be fixed like it would anywhere else. US sanctions in Iran have no relevance in this situation.
Boeing 7E7 is offline  
Old 4th Jan 2019, 09:41
  #92 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Under a Rock
Age: 49
Posts: 48
BluSdUp wrote a sensible reply on page one and 7E7 has just done another one. The rest, I guess, is just people wanting to have a what if conversation. Any delays to the aircraft getting fixed are likely down to the unit having to be shopped or replaced. There may be some red tape, but no more than usual; and this sort of thing is usual in countries like Iran.

Now if the Iranians wanted to buy a Max 8 or CFM engine for themselves, that's a different story...
Wickerbill is offline  
Old 4th Jan 2019, 14:27
  #93 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Area 51
Posts: 25
"Norwegian sent a crew of engineers and maintenance personnel to Iran but it looks like the plane was not able to be fixed and is going to need a new engine.
But due to various sanctions on Iran, importing spare parts for existing Airbus and Boeing aircraft in Iran is forbidden.
Special arrangements will have to be made between Iranian and US authorities."


http://www.airlive.net/boeing-737-ma...for-norwegian/
FlyXLsa is offline  
Old 5th Jan 2019, 02:18
  #94 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Florida
Posts: 4,928
Originally Posted by ManaAdaSystem View Post


And you are wrong, as well as your two friends. This has everything to do with the sanctions and the situation between USA and Iran.
As FlyXLsa just posted.
Still waiting for Don to tell us all how easy this will be and how stupid the rest of us are.
That sounds like opinion and not fact.

If things are that bad why don't we hear from Norwegian asking for relief?
lomapaseo is online now  
Old 5th Jan 2019, 08:37
  #95 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 1,179
Originally Posted by lomapaseo View Post
That sounds like opinion and not fact.

If things are that bad why don't we hear from Norwegian asking for relief?
Maybe you should read the link FlyZLsa posted? He even did a quote so you did not have to press the link.
Three weeks, and the aircraft is still sitting there.
ManaAdaSystem is offline  
Old 5th Jan 2019, 09:03
  #96 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Hampshire
Age: 71
Posts: 594
Be fair: the link supplied was to an aviation related magazine and is presumably the product of a journalist. Nowhere does it report views/comments from any government or the airline itself. It therefore remains speculation. It may turn out to be accurate, who knows? But in the meantime it remains speculation.
KelvinD is offline  
Old 5th Jan 2019, 09:23
  #97 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Europe
Posts: 928
Originally Posted by lomapaseo View Post
That sounds like opinion and not fact.

If things are that bad why don't we hear from Norwegian asking for relief?
Because when you want to apply to OFAC you dont do it on PPRuNe and instead you ask a Washington based law firm to do that (there are few of them specializing on sanctions and OFAC relations). Making public drama out of it would not help anyone.
CargoOne is offline  
Old 5th Jan 2019, 09:24
  #98 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 1,179
The aircraft is still there. That’s a fact.
ManaAdaSystem is offline  
Old 5th Jan 2019, 15:11
  #99 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,137
US Government Shutdown

It may take a while before any civil servant has a look at the OFAC application
RatherBeFlying is offline  
Old 7th Jan 2019, 13:48
  #100 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: London, UK
Posts: 269
I have worked in both the USA and Iran and like the people of both countries and the politicians of neither. I found Iranians polite, hospitable, worldly wise and pragmatic. And they don't believe propaganda, from either their own leaders or from outsiders.

If Norwegian keep this low key, any problems getting their plane fixed are unlikely to originate in Teheran.

When the US invaded Iraq a friend described it to me as the high noon of American power and influence. I think he was right. The US is increasingly unloved and hard to deal with, but its current behaviours will hasten its decline.
SLF3 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.