PPRuNe Forums

PPRuNe Forums (https://www.pprune.org/)
-   Rotorheads (https://www.pprune.org/rotorheads-23/)
-   -   Hill Helicopters HX50 (https://www.pprune.org/rotorheads/628019-hill-helicopters-hx50.html)

Nige321 14th Dec 2019 19:18

Hill Helicopters HX50
 
Anyone know anything??

Hill Helicopters


During this ambitious and innovative project, our consortium will develop a next-generation private helicopter that delivers reduced environmental impact, lower noise levels and unprecedented levels of safety, comfort and performance at a game-changing price point

Research reveals that there is high demand for this specification, which is not being met by existing manufacturers. This market segment is ready for rapid commercial exploitation and we will produce helicopters from our UK manufacturing base in Cornwall. The aircraft, the HX50 Revolution, will use a suite of next-generation technologies. Key innovations include a modern turbine engine capable of running on a variety of fuel types, including biofuels. It includes advanced inlet, outlet and engine bay silencers and it will increase the power to weight ratio of the aircraft, providing improved flight characteristics and load carrying capacity for passengers and luggage

krypton_john 14th Dec 2019 23:08

All I know is many have tried. I hope they succeed.

nomorehelosforme 14th Dec 2019 23:34

Here is their website, they certainly seem to be ahead of the game in many engineering areas. If I had millions would I invest in this project....

https://www.dynamiq-eng.co.uk/

Hopefully this will bring some interest from the major businesses in industry, 10 years ago who would have thought Tesla!

helipixman 15th Dec 2019 14:45

No pictures of this new design, either of an actual prototype or technical drawings... what does it look like or is it that secret we will have to wait ?

Hughes500 15th Dec 2019 14:58

provided some help and advice on the heli, when people see pictures of it they will be blown away ! Jason has come up with some great ideas and it is a long way down the design stage . When it come to fruition no one will buy anything else, you will wave goodbye to Robison and all other 4 to 5 seat helicopter sbeing used for private use.
I am sorry I can't tell you more from a confidentiality point of view, which is a shame as the mock up pix etc etc are ...........

helipixman 15th Dec 2019 15:32


Originally Posted by Hughes500 (Post 10640520)
provided some help and advice on the heli, when people see pictures of it they will be blown away ! Jason has come up with some great ideas and it is a long way down the design stage . When it come to fruition no one will buy anything else, you will wave goodbye to Robison and all other 4 to 5 seat helicopter sbeing used for private use.
I am sorry I can't tell you more from a confidentiality point of view, which is a shame as the mock up pix etc etc are ...........

Thats a bold statement that we will be waving goodbye to Robinson. It will have to be some machine, which we wait eagerly to see ? It will be difficult to replace the Robinsons, Bruno Guimbal has done a terrific job and sold many Cabris but Robinsons still seem to be flying out of the factory.

Hughes500 15th Dec 2019 21:30

Helipixman, you havent seen what I have seen !

601 15th Dec 2019 23:28


10 years ago who would have thought Tesla
and in 10 years time Tesla is ......

Arm out the window 16th Dec 2019 07:14


Limited engine power also means that the pilot must always be aware of flight limitations to maintain safe operation.
Hopefully there is some magic new transmission mechanism that will allow pilots who don't have to worry about power any more not have to worry about the drive line either!!

[email protected] 16th Dec 2019 08:58

Unless they are designing their super new engine to run on Hydrogen fuel cells they are nowhere near being cutting edge.

Judging by their blurb they are re-writing the laws of physics to make a 5-seat helicopter quiet, efficient and cheap to run.......

Hot and Hi 16th Dec 2019 16:41


Originally Posted by Nige321 (Post 10639963)
Anyone know anything??

Hill Helicopters

Quote:
During this ambitious and innovative project, our consortium will develop a next-generation private helicopter that delivers reduced environmental impact, lower noise levels and unprecedented levels of safety, comfort and performance at a game-changing price point

Quote:
Research reveals that there is high demand for this specification, which is not being met by existing manufacturers. This market segment is ready for rapid commercial exploitation and we will produce helicopters from our UK manufacturing base in Cornwall. The aircraft, the HX50 Revolution, will use a suite of next-generation technologies. Key innovations include a modern turbine engine capable of running on a variety of fuel types, including biofuels. It includes advanced inlet, outlet and engine bay silencers and it will increase the power to weight ratio of the aircraft, providing improved flight characteristics and load carrying capacity for passengers and luggage

I am also a bit disenchanted by seeing that a comapny that has what nobody has promotes its stuff by saying something that anybody could say: "Our extensive market research shows that people want bigger, better for cheaper."

Brilliant, I would have never thought that! I am tempted to say that this is just plain bad style and in disregard for the audience (if the intended audience was us). Then again, the blurb comes from a funding proposal, and maybe that's the kind of wishy-washy marketing talk needed there.

Let's wait for the facts. I am going on standby.

Hughes500 16th Dec 2019 17:25

Crab

Just wait and see, I was gobsmacked when I saw what they have come up with. The designers have more aerodynamics qualifications etc etc than most of the rest us put together !

[email protected] 16th Dec 2019 17:28

I'm sure they are very clever but Ray Prouty had a lot to say about how you don't get something for nothing with helicopter design.

helipixman 16th Dec 2019 17:58


Originally Posted by Hughes500 (Post 10640753)
Helipixman, you havent seen what I have seen !

From what you are saying I can't wait to see it. When do you expect we will be able to see this mind blowing machine ?

Ascend Charlie 17th Dec 2019 01:18

What is an unprecedented level of safety? One that will never crash? Or does it have a dozen airbags?

Every aircraft ever designed has an unprecedented level of safety, until it has its first crash, just like all the precedents.

And comfort? Reclining armchairs for the pilots? Aircon that works as well as a car's does?

Running on a variety of fuels... hmm...when they get it to run on water, then it will be one that commands attention. Should Rolls-Royce and other engine makers be worried?

Silencing usually comes with penalties in weight and in efficiency. The designs to muffle the scream of a compressor will be interesting to see, as will be the exhaust muffler which doesn't affect the back pressure on the turbine.

Hughes 500 is apparently quite excited, but if they want people to open their wallets, a bit more information is needed.

Hughes500 17th Dec 2019 06:42

Guys I am excited about it but I have to respect being asked not to say ! I have known about the designs for around 18 months and have watched things evolve. The easiest thing i can say is, take the best of all the different types put them all together with some very fancy aerodynamics and latest technology whether that be materials, blades or engines.
Just to tease the owner lurks on this site !
Happy Xmas

[email protected] 17th Dec 2019 06:52


The easiest thing i can say is, take the best of all the different types put them all together with some very fancy aerodynamics and latest technology whether that be materials, blades or engines
Because that has never been tried before.....

I don't mean to sound too cynical Hughes, but it sounds like the Labour manifesto - too good to be true.

The only thing I can think of is that they are building a next generation autogyro rather than an actual helicopter.

Is that lurking owner you by any chance??

Nige321 17th Dec 2019 10:06


Originally Posted by [email protected] (Post 10641361)
I'm sure they are very clever but Ray Prouty had a lot to say about how you don't get something for nothing with helicopter design.

He was saying it 40 years ago. Things have moved on a bit...


Because that has never been tried before.....

I don't mean to sound too cynical Hughes, but it sounds like the Labour manifesto - too good to be true.

The only thing I can think of is that they are building a next generation autogyro rather than an actual helicopter.

Is that lurking owner you by any chance??
It's a good everybody doesn't get out of bed every morning with this attitude, you'd all still be flying around in one of these...

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune....14d640f167.jpg

I've worked on a couple of Innovate UK projects.
The don't hand over that kind of money on a whim, there will have been some rigorous due diligence done.
I suspect H500 is right, there's something Innovate UK have got excited about...

Jettiejock 17th Dec 2019 10:27


Originally Posted by Nige321 (Post 10639963)
Anyone know anything??

Hill Helicopters




Yes, I spoke with the entrepreneur behind it last year and he has some great ideas and an end price which doesn't seem possible. We shall see, I hope.

cattletruck 17th Dec 2019 10:35

Their website https://www.dynamiq-eng.co.uk/ is nerd heaven. Seems like they've been at the bleeding edge of engineering consulting for over a decade and have provided quite a variety of customer solutions over that time.

Dig deeper in that website and there's an announcement that they're designing their own sub 500kw gas turbine engine. There's also an innovative centrifugal compressor fan design although I'm not sure if it's related.

As for the secret helicopter, I just hope it's sporty enough in its handling rather than something boring made to ferry golfers and their golf clubs.



All times are GMT. The time now is 01:09.


Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.