Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Aircrew Forums > Rotorheads
Reload this Page >

Technical crew qualifications/licence

Rotorheads A haven for helicopter professionals to discuss the things that affect them

Technical crew qualifications/licence

Old 11th Sep 2023, 08:49
  #1 (permalink)  
jm9
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2021
Location: uk
Posts: 14
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Technical crew qualifications/licence

Hi All,

does anyone know if there is a technical crew/rear crew licence or qualification that can be worked towards? Pilots and examiners have theirs, so it would be nice to have a standard to qualify at. I see the occasional advertisement for tech crew staying ‘Qualified Aircrew Officer’, but have no idea what the qualification is. Thanks.
jm9 is offline  
Old 12th Sep 2023, 06:36
  #2 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: EGDC
Posts: 10,387
Received 773 Likes on 345 Posts
Several years ago the chief cabin crew inspector from the CAA came to fly with us to get an idea of what technical crews on SAR actually do.

We hoped it would lead to licencing and better rates of pay but it would seem the industry disagrees.
crab@SAAvn.co.uk is online now  
Old 12th Sep 2023, 07:19
  #3 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: HLS map - http://goo.gl/maps/3ymt
Posts: 440
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jm9
Hi All,

does anyone know if there is a technical crew/rear crew licence or qualification that can be worked towards? Pilots and examiners have theirs, so it would be nice to have a standard to qualify at. I see the occasional advertisement for tech crew staying ‘Qualified Aircrew Officer’, but have no idea what the qualification is. Thanks.
Technical Crew Members (HEMS/NVIS/HHO and presumably SAR) don’t gain any licence or certificate issued by the CAA. This is one of those areas for which the training & checking is provided and certified directly by industry operators. AOCs who provide these services are generally authorised under their Operations Manual Part D (Training) to provide the necessary training courses to people who meet the eligibility criteria, and will issue their own ‘certificate’ upon completion.

There are a common set of requirements for an ‘Initial TCM course’ (not role specific), as well as role specific requirements (see SPA.HEMS, SPA.NVIS and SPA.HHO). The UK Air Ops regulation doesn’t cover SAR as in the UK it’s a state activity under a national approval but the requirements of CAP999 are very closely aligned.

Whilst it can be permitted to accept approved training delivered by previous operators, not all operators will necessarily want to do so, particularly if the training was not subsequently consolidated with a significant period of live operations therefore any ‘self funded’ course of training may be of limited value.

If you are struggling with SAR selection you could consider alternative TCM roles. A limited number occasionally come up within UK HEMS, but it may be less ‘sexy’ than SAR as there is no dangling people on a rope. Alternatively you could try as an HHO TCM for the wind farms?

Aucky is offline  
The following users liked this post:
Old 12th Sep 2023, 10:14
  #4 (permalink)  
jm9
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2021
Location: uk
Posts: 14
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by [email protected]
Several years ago the chief cabin crew inspector from the CAA came to fly with us to get an idea of what technical crews on SAR actually do.

We hoped it would lead to licencing and better rates of pay but it would seem the industry disagrees.
shame about that. Are you still in SAR? I keep hearing different things, apparently a rear crew shortage and no clear path of how to recruit new rear crew? A training centre that was never set up? I think SAR would be incredible to work in, but it all seems a bit uncertain at the moment
jm9 is offline  
Old 12th Sep 2023, 10:16
  #5 (permalink)  
jm9
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2021
Location: uk
Posts: 14
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Aucky
Technical Crew Members (HEMS/NVIS/HHO and presumably SAR) don’t gain any licence or certificate issued by the CAA. This is one of those areas for which the training & checking is provided and certified directly by industry operators. AOCs who provide these services are generally authorised under their Operations Manual Part D (Training) to provide the necessary training courses to people who meet the eligibility criteria, and will issue their own ‘certificate’ upon completion.

There are a common set of requirements for an ‘Initial TCM course’ (not role specific), as well as role specific requirements (see SPA.HEMS, SPA.NVIS and SPA.HHO). The UK Air Ops regulation doesn’t cover SAR as in the UK it’s a state activity under a national approval but the requirements of CAP999 are very closely aligned.

Whilst it can be permitted to accept approved training delivered by previous operators, not all operators will necessarily want to do so, particularly if the training was not subsequently consolidated with a significant period of live operations therefore any ‘self funded’ course of training may be of limited value.

If you are struggling with SAR selection you could consider alternative TCM roles. A limited number occasionally come up within UK HEMS, but it may be less ‘sexy’ than SAR as there is no dangling people on a rope. Alternatively you could try as an HHO TCM for the wind farms?
thanks Auckey. Is it just Unifly from Humberside who operate HHO’s? Or do NHV also? Can’t find much about the wind farm stuff online
jm9 is offline  
Old 12th Sep 2023, 10:41
  #6 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: EGDC
Posts: 10,387
Received 773 Likes on 345 Posts
shame about that. Are you still in SAR?
No, I'm retired now but I know quite a few people who are still in it.

I saw a press release that showed Ascent were going to give ground training for new Bristow TCMs.
crab@SAAvn.co.uk is online now  
Old 12th Sep 2023, 13:22
  #7 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Posts: 28
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Very limited availability of TCM (hems) in the UK. Only one unit with 'pure' TCM's (no ambulance qual required). Another unit with TCM's but requiring a basic ambulance medic qual.

Good features; no licence so no age limit. 2 yearly med equiv to class 2 (ppl equiv).

Bad features; no official CAA FTL requirements. Pay basic.

Best features; shiny new helos to work in, amazing medical teams as colleagues, landing next to peoples homes to provide hospital level trauma care and being brought a cup of tea after having trashed the garden.
onehunglow is offline  
Old 13th Sep 2023, 13:08
  #8 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Europe
Posts: 900
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
The ICAO helicopter operations committee is about to discuss what might be put into Annex 6 on the subject of TCMs.

If you have an interest in this, you might want to seek out your representative (industry or State) and make representations.

Jim
JimL is offline  
The following users liked this post:
Old 14th Sep 2023, 07:26
  #9 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: South West
Posts: 311
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by onehunglow
Very limited availability of TCM (hems) in the UK. Only one unit with 'pure' TCM's (no ambulance qual required). Another unit with TCM's but requiring a basic ambulance medic qual.

Good features; no licence so no age limit. 2 yearly med equiv to class 2 (ppl equiv).

Bad features; no official CAA FTL requirements. Pay basic.

Best features; shiny new helos to work in, amazing medical teams as colleagues, landing next to peoples homes to provide hospital level trauma care and being brought a cup of tea after having trashed the garden.
​​​​​​The TCM part of the Air Operations regulation has been updated in EASA land. TCM now (although there's a deferral period) have to receive formal multi crew training, substantial periodic training and checking in an aircraft or FSTD (2hrs per annum plus OPC), I think they have to come into an FTL scheme and much more specific medical requirements (currently I would argue they are way less than a formal Class 2). Not going to help on the pay front of course!

Where I work, they are already until FTL rules through the choice of the operator.
gipsymagpie is offline  
The following users liked this post:
Old 14th Sep 2023, 15:01
  #10 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Posts: 28
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
That will be interesting, though for me theoretical as I'm bowing out end of November !

TCM has been fun as it's given me 7 years more operational work post 65.
onehunglow is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.