Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Aircrew Forums > Rotorheads
Reload this Page >

SAR vs Oil & Gas Operating Costs

Rotorheads A haven for helicopter professionals to discuss the things that affect them

SAR vs Oil & Gas Operating Costs

Old 7th Mar 2022, 18:43
  #1 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2022
Location: New York
Posts: 1
SAR vs Oil & Gas Operating Costs

Hey folks,

I was talking with someone from Bristow who mentioned that the maintenance costs charged to customers is way more for Search and Rescue compared to Oil and Gas transport. Is that just because O&G end-customers are commercial and expect cheaper prices than from government Search and Rescue customers? Or is there actually something different in the missions that account for the cost difference?
taeso4558 is offline  
Old 7th Mar 2022, 20:27
  #2 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 419
Originally Posted by taeso4558 View Post
Hey folks,

I was talking with someone from Bristow who mentioned that the maintenance costs charged to customers is way more for Search and Rescue compared to Oil and Gas transport. Is that just because O&G end-customers are commercial and expect cheaper prices than from government Search and Rescue customers? Or is there actually something different in the missions that account for the cost difference?
Yes, one is commercial the other is the tax payer, guess which costs 'more'?
helicrazi is offline  
Old 7th Mar 2022, 20:32
  #3 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Asia Pacific
Age: 51
Posts: 1,903
Originally Posted by helicrazi View Post
Yes, one is commercial the other is the tax payer, guess which costs 'more'?
One involves hovering at 50 feet in salt spray for prolonged periods, and other maintenance heavy tasks that arenít triggered by a straight and level transit at 2000í. Not sure how many winch cable inspections a crew change aircraft does either.
minigundiplomat is offline  
Old 7th Mar 2022, 21:40
  #4 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: The Empire
Age: 48
Posts: 206
Originally Posted by minigundiplomat View Post
One involves hovering at 50 feet in salt spray for prolonged periods, and other maintenance heavy tasks that arenít triggered by a straight and level transit at 2000í. Not sure how many winch cable inspections a crew change aircraft does either.
Plus the additional crew members, FLIR, NVGís, rigorous currency/proficiency requirements for a very broad skill set. Apples ainít apples.
Doors Off is offline  
Old 8th Mar 2022, 07:35
  #5 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Sometimes here, sometimes there
Posts: 426
In terms of maintenance costs, you also have the additional role equipment that needs to be funded, depreciated and maintained. Due to lower utilisation any maintenance that is both calendar and hours triggered will almost certainly come around on a calendar basis, which then increases the "flight hour" cost of the airframe that the customer would see.
Variable Load is offline  
Old 8th Mar 2022, 08:06
  #6 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Lost again...
Posts: 722
Plus you are providing maintenance personnel on a 24hr basis at SAR bases which is a necessity but they may not be getting as much work done as they would if they were in a hangar in Aberdeen. They need to be there but they are not necessarily as productive as they would be in a bigger base.
OvertHawk is offline  
Old 8th Mar 2022, 14:24
  #7 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Inverness-shire, Ross-shire
Posts: 1,380
Originally Posted by minigundiplomat View Post
One involves hovering at 50 feet in salt spray for prolonged periods, and other maintenance heavy tasks that arenít triggered by a straight and level transit at 2000í. Not sure how many winch cable inspections a crew change aircraft does either.
Tasks requiring a sustained hover a few feet from a random obstacle, whether that be a stationary cliff or a moving mast, generate a different risk profile.

All about different tasks, different contractual requirements, different duty cycle, different tools, different regulations, different risk profile. So-o-o-o-o happy to read of this cost difference.

jimf671 is offline  
Old 9th Mar 2022, 12:49
  #8 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Inside the Industry
Posts: 874
Ignoring the multiple variables of SAR crewing which are dependent on coverage required, in pure aircraft operating cost, SAR is around 20-25% more expensive than equivalent crew change due to increased wear and tear on the aircraft and equipment complexity.
industry insider is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.