Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Aircrew Forums > Rotorheads
Reload this Page >

Training during this pandemic

Rotorheads A haven for helicopter professionals to discuss the things that affect them

Training during this pandemic

Old 6th Jun 2020, 13:34
  #1 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Nottingham
Posts: 3
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Training during this pandemic

I have noticed this last week that a helicopter school has commenced training In the East Midlands area. My personal understanding of the government guidelines means that this is difficult/not acceptable. If SkyWise is to be believed only GA is allowed under 3 specific rules, they must be:
  • solo flights
  • flights where everyone is from the same household
  • flights in aircraft where social distancing measures can be maintained - such as tandem cockpits spaced by more than 2 metres, or occupancy of separate parts of the aircraft structure
I have been in small helicopters before and don’t think two meters can be achieved! Even 2inches would be difficult. Just wanting to know others views on this?
WhizKid is offline  
Old 6th Jun 2020, 22:16
  #2 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: England
Posts: 69
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I saw the same traffic and wondered what sort of flights they were operating. I think, as has been said elsewhere here, going to the supermarket is probably a higher risk, but that does not mean a dual flight for GA is the right thing to do.
Mutley1013 is offline  
Old 7th Jun 2020, 06:07
  #3 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: South West
Posts: 210
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Doesn't one of the companies over that way support national infrastructure inspection flights? They were deemed essential so it might be training associated with that
gipsymagpie is offline  
Old 7th Jun 2020, 19:08
  #4 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: UK
Posts: 8
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seems like a fair amount of flying being done in that area. Can't imagine that is all training related to any essential service contracts. Could be wrong but seems unlikely. I know of two fixed-wing schools who have restarted by merging the instructors and students into 'family groups' in their own accommodation. Fingers crossed we will all be back in the air together soon.
autobarnacle is offline  
Old 7th Jun 2020, 19:36
  #5 (permalink)  

Better red than ...
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Appleby-in-Westmorland Cumbria England
Posts: 1,412
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Perhaps the students in the Cabri’s are doing the solo phase of their training?
helicopter-redeye is offline  
Old 7th Jun 2020, 19:56
  #6 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: UK
Posts: 8
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by helicopter-redeye View Post
Perhaps the students in the Cabri’s are doing the solo phase of their training?
I can't imagine a school letting a student/s go solo after 8-10 weeks of no flying.
autobarnacle is offline  
Old 7th Jun 2020, 20:08
  #7 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Nottingham
Posts: 3
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I also heard from some people who were at the airfield this last week that a student was due to go out with an examiner for a PC/Skills Test so I’m led to believe there is definitely training being done.
WhizKid is offline  
Old 7th Jun 2020, 21:21
  #8 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: London/Atlanta
Posts: 375
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You may want to look at this thread, especially the later posts that discuss social distancing in commercial helicopters as opposed to HEMS operations.

Helicopters and Coronavirus
nomorehelosforme is offline  
Old 8th Jun 2020, 11:42
  #9 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: N/A
Posts: 845
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IF
the chance of encountering someone who is contageous is < 1 in 5000
AND IF
the chance of death on catching it is < 1 in 1000
AND IF
the chance of catching it from someone sharing your cockpit is <1

THEN
what is the risk? <10^-6 to 10^-7 ?

should training still be discouraged (banned) or is it a matter for common sense yet?

asking for a friend
AnFI is offline  
Old 8th Jun 2020, 11:52
  #10 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: lincoln
Age: 61
Posts: 1
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AnFI View Post
IF
the chance of encountering someone who is contageous is < 1 in 5000
AND IF
the chance of death on catching it is < 1 in 1000
AND IF
the chance of catching it from someone sharing your cockpit is <1

THEN
what is the risk? <10^-6 to 10^-7 ?

should training still be discouraged (banned) or is it a matter for common sense yet?

asking for a friend
Well said Friend
bill2b is offline  
Old 8th Jun 2020, 12:11
  #11 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: lincoln
Age: 61
Posts: 1
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red Arrows have been training for weeks now
bill2b is offline  
Old 8th Jun 2020, 13:00
  #12 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Kiwiland
Posts: 691
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi AnFI

The incidence has been 1 in 850 in the UK but varies between regions. The death rate depends on age but is 1-2%. The chance of catching it in an enclosed space, inches apart for an hour, approaches 1

The issue is not the death rate to you but the risk of infecting others so I suggest all that matters is the 1 in 850. What we have seen in hospitals is that people think the risk is low but then we find the incidence is 15% because they have been together day after day. We have no data on flight training but if they do create similar clusters.....Anyhow, whilst it is legal for the instructor and the military are exempt, it remains illegal for the student so not I suggest something we should support

Radgirl is offline  
Old 8th Jun 2020, 14:50
  #13 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: lincoln
Age: 61
Posts: 1
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Radgirl View Post
Hi AnFI

The incidence has been 1 in 850 in the UK but varies between regions. The death rate depends on age but is 1-2%. The chance of catching it in an enclosed space, inches apart for an hour, approaches 1

The issue is not the death rate to you but the risk of infecting others so I suggest all that matters is the 1 in 850. What we have seen in hospitals is that people think the risk is low but then we find the incidence is 15% because they have been together day after day. We have no data on flight training but if they do create similar clusters.....Anyhow, whilst it is legal for the instructor and the military are exempt, it remains illegal for the student so not I suggest something we should support
People like you are the problem. they make up the rules to suit themselves and you will support it all the way. Anyone can come up with a bunch of statistics just like you have done, does not mean diddly squit. As for the military being exempt that is even more ridiculous. The Red Arrows are a flying display team, they are allowed yet civilians are not, this just shows what a nonsense the whole thing is. Why are they practising anyway if it all goes to plan and we are not allowed to be in a crowd ever again (the new normal that they talk about) then why do we need aircraft displays?
bill2b is offline  
Old 8th Jun 2020, 17:48
  #14 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: UK
Posts: 2,896
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bill2b View Post
Red Arrows have been training for weeks now
The Red Arrows are single pilot aircraft.
Bravo73 is online now  
Old 8th Jun 2020, 18:16
  #15 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: lincoln
Age: 61
Posts: 1
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bravo73 View Post
The Red Arrows are single pilot aircraft.
Strap themselves in these days then, I suppose they service their own aircraft as well
bill2b is offline  
Old 8th Jun 2020, 18:39
  #16 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Nottingham
Posts: 3
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We seem to be moving off the point. Solo flight is fine as is flight in aircraft where social distancing can be maintained! I just feel that training flights in a Cabri is not acceptable and find it very hard anyone can argue any different!
WhizKid is offline  
Old 8th Jun 2020, 19:19
  #17 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: UK
Posts: 2,896
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bill2b View Post
People like you are the problem.
You obviously know very little about Radgirl or what she has been going through recently. I would choose your words more carefully, if I was you.
Bravo73 is online now  
Old 8th Jun 2020, 19:44
  #18 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: UK
Posts: 8
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Let us change the direction of the thread. I am sure lots of people reading this have had or are going through a tough time. Let move onto a time, hopefully, the not too distant future when we can conduct non-essential, PPL, training. ( I appreciate this is essential for businesses ££ ). Any thoughts on the hazards associated with wearing masks or disposable gloves. Even maybe some recommendations for aircraft friendly cleaning products. Let's use the knowledge in this forum to keep others safe in the future. I have been reading into a product called BacoBan, is a spray that can be used in aircraft and is antibacterial for up to 10 days. Creates an antibac layer over a surface. Has anyone used this before?
autobarnacle is offline  
Old 8th Jun 2020, 21:33
  #19 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: London/Atlanta
Posts: 375
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bravo73 View Post
You obviously know very little about Radgirl or what she has been going through recently. I would choose your words more carefully, if I was you.
Agreed,

My daughter handles the HR for the company that are contracted to to supply ambulances and drivers to many NHS trusts around the SE England and like Radgirl has had to deal with unprecedented situations at the frontline, try telling people like them and thousands of others they are the problem!

Having read some of your other posts a favourite word of yours seems to be “tosh” and On this occasion I think it is fair to say that your comments are “UTTER TOSH” And that’s been polite!
nomorehelosforme is offline  
Old 8th Jun 2020, 22:28
  #20 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: lincoln
Age: 61
Posts: 1
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nomorehelosforme View Post
Agreed,

My daughter handles the HR for the company that are contracted to to supply ambulances and drivers to many NHS trusts around the SE England and like Radgirl has had to deal with unprecedented situations at the frontline, try telling people like them and thousands of others they are the problem!

Having read some of your other posts a favourite word of yours seems to be “tosh” and On this occasion I think it is fair to say that your comments are “UTTER TOSH” And that’s been polite!
Front line? , Yes ok mr Tosh . Don;t forget to read your daily mail tomorrow.
bill2b is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.