Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Aircrew Forums > Rotorheads
Reload this Page >

S-92 upgrade...

Rotorheads A haven for helicopter professionals to discuss the things that affect them

S-92 upgrade...

Old 16th Feb 2020, 18:47
  #21 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: A very long way North
Posts: 387
Originally Posted by Apate View Post
Maybe the "talk" says so, but the reality doesn't seem to support that. CHC's sole UK registered AW189 has no work and there is talk it will be mothballed. 175 numbers are growing slowly in Aberdeen, but that is mainly to cover for dreadful availability. Super mediums have basically not had that great an impact in the Northern N Sea, especially in Norway.

Unless you can prove otherwise
Prove maybe not but we hear the 189 out and about to the Forties a lot. The background noise over the R/T is unmistakeable.
PlasticCabDriver is offline  
Old 16th Feb 2020, 20:17
  #22 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Atlantic Ocean
Posts: 70
Originally Posted by Apate View Post
The S-61/Sea King idea ported across to the S-92, using an "emergency sump and pump", will likely not be limited to 30 mins. The new MGB doesn't just contain this new arrangement, it also contains gears made from different materials that are more heat tolerant and durable.
As I wrote before, the new nearbox is welcomed but, by the manufacturer words, doesn't solve all gearbox weaknessess. When the MGB bypass valve closed in a S-92A in Norway recently, with no oil loss, the transmission took 28 minutes to reach 152C at landing. On the simulator, when a leak is contained and the bypass valve closes, the temperature rises even faster.
Jimmy. is offline  
Old 17th Feb 2020, 09:04
  #23 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: N of 49th parallel
Posts: 139
Originally Posted by PlasticCabDriver View Post
Prove maybe not but we hear the 189 out and about to the Forties a lot. The background noise over the R/T is unmistakeable.
Yup, I'll give you that one. There is a single AW189 on contract in Aberdeen, which mainly plies it's trade to and from the Forties with Bristow. Six years since certification and only one machine in regular use in the Northern N Sea, it's hardly the revolution that was being "talked" about. By contrast there's about a 80 active O&G S92s between the UK and Norway.
Apate is offline  
Old 17th Feb 2020, 09:57
  #24 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Australia
Age: 50
Posts: 56
Originally Posted by Apate View Post
Yup, I'll give you that one. There is a single AW189 on contract in Aberdeen, which mainly plies it's trade to and from the Forties with Bristow. Six years since certification and only one machine in regular use in the Northern N Sea, it's hardly the revolution that was being "talked" about. By contrast there's about a 80 active O&G S92s between the UK and Norway.
Isn't that as much a side effect of the contracting market and the full utilisation of the 92 fleet globally as opposed to new capital being spent on aircraft acquisitions? Just my observation and an ex-offhsore pilot watching in from the sideline
Autonomous Collectiv is offline  
Old 18th Feb 2020, 07:55
  #25 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: N of 49th parallel
Posts: 139
Originally Posted by Autonomous Collectiv View Post
Isn't that as much a side effect of the contracting market and the full utilisation of the 92 fleet globally as opposed to new capital being spent on aircraft acquisitions? Just my observation and an ex-offhsore pilot watching in from the sideline
Maybe, but the current market seems dominated by leasing deals. An aircraft comes off contract, it is handed back. This process should enable new types to enter the market much easier than perhaps was historically the case.

It's possible the AW189 economics are not that compelling, especially when the distances offshore increase and fuel for more distant alternates have to be carried?

No doubt the emergence of the 175/189 will force Sikorsky to sharpen their pencil.
Apate is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.