Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Aircrew Forums > Rotorheads
Reload this Page >

The Horn; Netflix

Rotorheads A haven for helicopter professionals to discuss the things that affect them

The Horn; Netflix

Old 23rd Jul 2018, 08:03
  #1 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Gold Coast, Australia
Age: 74
Posts: 4,343
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Horn; Netflix

I’ve just been made aware of the 2016 series on Netflix about the Swiss Mountain Rescue fliers.

Some excellent coverage of skilled crews in a challenging environment
John Eacott is offline  
Old 23rd Jul 2018, 14:01
  #2 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: 'Stralia
Age: 56
Posts: 227
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The only flaw is the continuity ..... wrong sounds .... and a 130 will pick up and the fly away shot is 429 etc, with AS350 sound. It drives my wife spare when I point that out .....
Peter3127 is offline  
Old 23rd Jul 2018, 14:29
  #3 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Geneva, Switzerland
Age: 57
Posts: 1,769
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Peter3127 View Post
The only flaw is the continuity ..... wrong sounds .... and a 130 will pick up and the fly away shot is 429 etc, with AS350 sound. It drives my wife spare when I point that out .....
Rightly so IMHO
atakacs is offline  
Old 23rd Jul 2018, 15:36
  #4 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Canada
Posts: 339
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I like the people, i like the equipment. I like the operation and what it means.
I hate the editing...

I dont know how the editing played out in some of the medical situations...i was a bit taken aback on the one scene where they literally slung a vital signs absent avalanche victim off the hill, then discussed as he lay in a bag if we was in fact dead or not.
In my neck of the woods, someone would have been on his chest doing compression's the moment then pulled him out of the snow and throughout the flight to the hospital.
GrayHorizonsHeli is offline  
Old 24th Jul 2018, 05:26
  #5 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Gold Coast, Australia
Age: 74
Posts: 4,343
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Peter3127 View Post
The only flaw is the continuity ..... wrong sounds .... and a 130 will pick up and the fly away shot is 429 etc, with AS350 sound. It drives my wife spare when I point that out .....
All my Netflix viewing is sound down/sub titles on, I wouldn’t know what soundtrack is being used!
John Eacott is offline  
Old 25th Jul 2018, 12:37
  #6 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: UK/OZ
Posts: 1,834
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
“Respect and confidence in each other.. but first you have to eat dirt”

Highly recommend.


Red Bull Production value is an asset, most of the time. ( too many insert/cutaway shots appear staged, wether they are or not)


What are the virtues of running aircraft types from different manufacturers in such an operation?


mjb

Last edited by mickjoebill; 25th Jul 2018 at 12:54.
mickjoebill is offline  
Old 25th Jul 2018, 13:02
  #7 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Posts: 737
Received 128 Likes on 31 Posts
MJB - The mainstay of the Air Zermatt fleet was the Lama and Alouette III. Then the B3 replaced the Lama and they originally got an EC135 for their EMS ops and this is gradually being replaced with the 429 (2nd one arrived recently). They also got an H130 to see if it could also be used alongside the B3 going forward however some issues with its performance and the additional role equipment has meant it is primarily only used for sightseeing flights. Will they get anymore H130s - doubt it. So the fleet will be 429s for EMS, the B3 will be mainstay of the utility and sightseeing ops with the H130 kept for ad hoc transfers and sightseeing.
KiwiNedNZ is offline  
Old 25th Jul 2018, 13:28
  #8 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: UK/OZ
Posts: 1,834
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KiwiNedNZ View Post
MJB - The mainstay of the Air Zermatt fleet was the Lama and Alouette III. Then the B3 replaced the Lama and they originally got an EC135 for their EMS ops and this is gradually being replaced with the 429 (2nd one arrived recently). They also got an H130 to see if it could also be used alongside the B3 going forward however some issues with its performance and the additional role equipment has meant it is primarily only used for sightseeing flights. Will they get anymore H130s - doubt it. So the fleet will be 429s for EMS, the B3 will be mainstay of the utility and sightseeing ops with the H130 kept for ad hoc transfers and sightseeing.
Thanks, I was wondering if the 429 and EC135 has specific performance or handling virtues for mountain rescue.
Mjb

Last edited by mickjoebill; 26th Jul 2018 at 11:32.
mickjoebill is offline  
Old 25th Jul 2018, 22:41
  #9 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: NYC
Posts: 14
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For those of you who do not have a Netflix subscription, it can also be watched for free on Red Bull's website.
I cannot post a link, but it can easily be found using the google. Worth watching, despite the editing.
gg17 is offline  
Old 26th Jul 2018, 17:04
  #10 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Here
Posts: 885
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
link

Originally Posted by gg17 View Post
For those of you who do not have a Netflix subscription, it can also be watched for free on Red Bull's website.
I cannot post a link, but it can easily be found using the google. Worth watching, despite the editing.
https://www.redbull.tv/show/AP-1N849ESGS2111/the-horn
jimjim1 is offline  
Old 26th Jul 2018, 23:54
  #11 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Near the source of insanity
Posts: 123
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the heads up! Wanted to go to sleep an hour ago, but I guess that's cancelled now
Unbelievable though that I need to read the English subtitltes to understand what is supposed to be a form of my native language
Hawkeye0001 is offline  
Old 27th Jul 2018, 07:53
  #12 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Europe
Age: 58
Posts: 715
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by KiwiNedNZ View Post
So the fleet will be 429s for EMS, the B3 will be mainstay of the utility and sightseeing ops with the H130 kept for ad hoc transfers and sightseeing.
Hello Ned,

Next year, they will receive their first SH09 from Kopter !
.
HeliHenri is offline  
Old 27th Jul 2018, 08:35
  #13 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Europe
Posts: 358
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Next year, they will receive their first SH09 from Kopter
Don‘t bet on it.
Rotorbee is offline  
Old 27th Jul 2018, 08:47
  #14 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Europe
Age: 58
Posts: 715
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hello Rotorbee,

I won't because even products from very big OEM like Bell, Airbus or Leonardo can be delayed.
But Kopter has nearly one and a half year to reach his goal so ...
.
HeliHenri is offline  
Old 27th Jul 2018, 14:13
  #15 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Inverness-shire, Ross-shire
Posts: 1,394
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hawkeye0001 View Post
Thanks for the heads up! Wanted to go to sleep an hour ago, but I guess that's cancelled now
Unbelievable though that I need to read the English subtitltes to understand what is supposed to be a form of my native language
Ha Ha!

Bernese gotcha!
jimf671 is offline  
Old 27th Jul 2018, 14:29
  #16 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Europe
Posts: 358
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not Bernese, that one one can learn, it's "Walliserdiitsch". Takes years and years of study and you will never speak it right ... or understand it right.
Rotorbee is offline  
Old 27th Jul 2018, 16:36
  #17 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: unsteady
Posts: 362
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One of my favorite parts about this show is how the pilot named Sam tenaciously keeps using the word "chopter".
whoknows idont is offline  
Old 28th Jul 2018, 08:50
  #18 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Calgary
Posts: 60
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One of the best series that I have watched on Netflix lately. Skilled and highly trained personnel carrying out their day to day job to a high level. Good job guys and fascinating to watch.
mftx7jrn is offline  
Old 27th Aug 2020, 20:59
  #19 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Pfäffikon
Posts: 3
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mickjoebill View Post


Thanks, I was wondering if the 429 and EC135 has specific performance or handling virtues for mountain rescue.
Mjb
As lightweight as possible
Martin Stucki is offline  
Old 28th Aug 2020, 02:27
  #20 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Depends on the day!
Posts: 123
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here's AZ just recently talking about how much they really like the 429 for the missions: article 1 article 2 article 3
PhlyingGuy is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.