Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Aircrew Forums > Rotorheads
Reload this Page >

The cost of balls out self funded, 0 to twin IR !

Rotorheads A haven for helicopter professionals to discuss the things that affect them

The cost of balls out self funded, 0 to twin IR !

Old 3rd Nov 2011, 12:50
  #21 (permalink)  
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: UK
Posts: 270
Statistics | Personnel Licensing | Safety Regulation
hands_on123 is offline  
Old 3rd Nov 2011, 13:47
  #22 (permalink)  
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Land of damp and drizzle
Posts: 617
From the above, between April 2009 and March 2010, there were:

77 ATPL(H) issued, 58 renewed or revalidated, with 2 IRs and 2 FIs issued
196 CPL(H) issued, 82 renewed or revalidated, with 82 IRs and 48 FIs issued
262 PPL(H) issued, 171 renewed or revalidated

I assume the IR and FI numbers are people who already had the relevant license who added an IR to it.
Pandalet is offline  
Old 3rd Nov 2011, 16:14
  #23 (permalink)  
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: UK
Posts: 510
Since I started looking at getting into aviation nearly 20 years ago, there has always been promises of a pilot shortage. I don't think the North Sea has ever been short of applicants.
Droopystop is offline  
Old 3rd Nov 2011, 16:47
  #24 (permalink)  
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Beside the seaside
Posts: 670
The cost of balls out self funded, 0 to twin IR !

You will not necassarily have your balls out and on the table when you are being interviewed by the bank mangager or perhaps Bristow/CHC/Bond but it will certainly feel as if you have.
Epiphany is offline  
Old 4th Nov 2011, 05:29
  #25 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: earth
Posts: 272
Those are interesting statistics. Just imagine a conservative figure of 50 cpl(h) and the multi engine IR to go with it. Out of 50 guys and girls in one year it would be interesting to know the percentage of who got employed in the first year. I think if people knew the actual chances of employment, compared to the amount of money ,definetly balls out or the wife will have them when you explain the no immediate employment start...

fluffy5 is offline  
Old 4th Nov 2011, 08:50
  #26 (permalink)  
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: UK
Posts: 270
At the moment, as a fresh CPL/IR, I think you have a 10% chance of being employed

As a new FI I think you have a 40-60% chance of picking up some freelance work, although you are not going to earn more than 20,000 a year
hands_on123 is offline  
Old 4th Nov 2011, 09:00
  #27 (permalink)  
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Cornwall
Age: 71
Posts: 1,305

Does anyone know if the stats available from UK CAA are anywhere to be found in JARLAND and/or FARLAND. Would be interesting to see if the trends in those stats are mirrored elsewhere.

Geoffersincornwall is offline  
Old 4th Nov 2011, 09:15
  #28 (permalink)  
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Germany
Posts: 778
GoodGrief is online now  
Old 4th Nov 2011, 09:17
  #29 (permalink)  
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Sweden
Age: 40
Posts: 56

How about "just" taking a single engine IR ? I did that in Denmark in 2008 and atleast when applying for CHC they didnt care and the ME part was integrated easily in the typerating when I got the job.

But maybe rules have changed ? Otherwise look into Billund Air Center and I know there is school somewhere in Sweden aswell, both of these flying jetrangers. Should be better for the wallet.

good luck
RotorSwede is offline  
Old 4th Nov 2011, 10:20
  #30 (permalink)  
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Land of damp and drizzle
Posts: 617
There are several schools around the EU still offering SE IRs. Current info from the big three are that Bristow don't mind whether your IR is SE or ME (they'll upgrade it to ME as part of the necessary initial training anyway), but Bond and CHC won't let you past HR without a ME IR.
Pandalet is offline  
Old 6th Nov 2011, 03:35
  #31 (permalink)  
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Flexible
Posts: 24
What flying would you do if you had 100k to spend

CAA Statistics are here. All the info is in a PDF so no easy to read charts, should have guessed they would make it as difficult as possible! The publication FTN (Flight Training News) usually has a nice historical line graph within it, unfortunately they don't publish an online version. Maybe someone can scan a copy.

As for spending over a 100k to do it all again I have to agree I might (but still don't regret taking the gamble) opt to just to get a PPL and then spend the rest of the money doing some different flying. Could be an interesting thread to find out what sort of recreational flying professional pilots would do with that money. I like the idea of a charity round the world flight!

Plain Torque is offline  
Old 7th Nov 2011, 15:06
  #32 (permalink)  
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Where I'm pointing...
Posts: 583
The challenge of getting the first few hrs and ratings is not half as bad as the next 1000 hrs turbine, which if you do privately is somewhere between $500,000 and $1,000,000. (or more depending on where you are/type of machine).

Much much better to have someone else pay for those hours!!
birrddog is offline  
Old 7th Nov 2011, 15:28
  #33 (permalink)  
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: on
Posts: 23
Tax deduction for flight training.

A related question:

If you at some point in your life decide to go through with it , and buy yourself a commercial license, and even maybe a rating, at the cost of maybe 50-100k,:

Do you then get a full (or partial) tax deduction for these expences?

I'd greatly appreciate an answer also from countries outside the UK.


s61n is offline  
Old 7th Nov 2011, 17:11
  #34 (permalink)  
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Land of damp and drizzle
Posts: 617
In the UK, flight training is fully liable for VAT, so if you did all your training in the UK, 20% of the cost would go to the gubbermint.

The issues surrounding claiming back the VAT on professional flight training have been explored in some detail elsewhere (http://www.pprune.org/rotorheads/198...ing-costs.html and http://www.pprune.org/professional-p...ed-2011-a.html for example). The simple answer is if you intend to become a VAT-charging entity (i.e. you plan to contract out your services, or start a company doing this), then you can claim back VAT (at least on the professional bits of your training); if you plan to become an employee of someone else, then you can't. As always with these things, it depends, and if this is more than idle curiosity for you, then you'd be better off talking to an actual tax professional.
Pandalet is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.