Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Aircrew Forums > Rotorheads
Reload this Page >

Flying in France (incl Permits, Private sites and Pictures)

Rotorheads A haven for helicopter professionals to discuss the things that affect them

Flying in France (incl Permits, Private sites and Pictures)

Old 8th Jul 2007, 08:44
  #81 (permalink)  
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Cheshire
Posts: 236

If you've got an internet connection, you can go to the AIC website (http://www.ais.org.uk) and, under the Mauve section, download the AIC above. It'll show you the route, the sectors and the timings related to each sector.
Big-Windy is offline  
Old 8th Jul 2007, 20:48
  #82 (permalink)  
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Abingdon uk
Age: 56
Posts: 28
How High ?

When I was a kid i could get the front wheel up on my push bike - these boys on the Tour need their own airspace - progress i suppose
Lost Again is offline  
Old 11th Jul 2007, 14:01
  #83 (permalink)  
Join Date: May 2007
Location: southeast usa
Posts: 7
Operating an N-registered a/c in France

Greetings, and thanks in advance for any advice.

My boss desires that his aircraft (N registered) be shipped to France for his utilization during a several week vacation. He has me running down the details...

Could someone please advise me on regulatory issues relative to the airframe and the aircrew? The helicopter will be dissassembled for transport--will it be subject to inspection/certification by French authorities following reassembly but prior to flight?

Is a FAA commercial certificate with instrument rating sufficient to operate an N registered a/c in France under day and night VFR?

What are the implications of operating in adjoining countries?

All advise is most appreciated.
shortordercook is offline  
Old 11th Jul 2007, 17:06
  #84 (permalink)  
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Florida
Posts: 19

I just sent you a PM
FFF is offline  
Old 11th Jul 2007, 20:51
  #85 (permalink)  
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Aus, Europe & everywhere in between
Posts: 390
No problems at all. You don't need anything on the aircrew licencing side of things. Remember that anyone flying or maintaining your aircraft will have to have FAA tickets. Other than that - away you go. The authorities may have to look at it on the customs side of things but not on the aviation side.

If you are going to be flying in Europe in general, read up on the local regs and airports before you go as they have some very specific ways of doing things (Nice airport comes to mind straight away). Nothing too huge but you have to know what you are doing. In France, if you intend on landing at HLS's other than at airports, you will need a Helisurface permit which will cover you as the pilot but does not negate the need to get approvals to use the actual HLS.

Spain, France, Italy, Germany & Greece do not need specific approval to operate in their airspace. Greece (for example) requires a written flight plan faxed to them for each flight and you will need ground handler assistance at the airport you are going to.

There are alot of foreign aircraft flying around France (where do you think the Poms fly to when they want to get away?)

There would be alot of people on this forum who could add to this but it is not as hard as it seems.

Have fun
Oogle is offline  
Old 12th Jul 2007, 17:40
  #86 (permalink)  
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: After all, what’s more important than proving to someone on the internet that they’re wrong? - Manson
Posts: 1,570
Republique Francaise

Service de L'Information Aeronautique


Probably all you need to know can be found here including airfield charts for download. Look in the AIP section under VAC / VAC Helistation. All the regs are there as well.

The "Helisurface Permit" if you wish to land outside an airport as you are "etranger" will take some time to obtain yet is valid for 10 years.

Keep in mind that you may operate in the EU for only 6 months prior to someone asking you about "tax". And yes they do check!

If you intend to operate throughout Europe the easiest is to get hold of Jeppesen Bottlang Airfield manual and Jepp VFR charts. In Europe there are VFR approaches and departures for every airfield!!! See the Jepp site.

In the Bottlang manual it lists the "particularities" with each country regarding flight planning, NGT VFR etc. NO NGT VFR in Greece for example. Yes in France with conditions etc. etc.

France I find aviation friendly as they do make the odd jet transport aircraft and a few helicopters and GA is pretty big.
RVDT is offline  
Old 12th Jul 2007, 22:04
  #87 (permalink)  
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Kent
Age: 51
Posts: 105
Paperwork checking in France


has anyone had experience of being asked to prove VAT paid on a G reg helicopter in france before, or does this only apply to N reg helicopters, a few stories seem to be emerging of aircraft being impounded etc, but it is hard to find details??
longbox is offline  
Old 13th Jul 2007, 10:24
  #88 (permalink)  

The Veloceraptor of Lounge Lizards
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: From here the view is lovely
Posts: 339
Got asked for mine in Issy last week. They seem to ask about once a month. We heard all the horror stories and so carry the VAT receipts for all our machines in the aircraft docs folder (photocopies with a lawyers' signature on them)

verticalhold is offline  
Old 13th Jul 2007, 12:58
  #89 (permalink)  
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Warwick
Age: 39
Posts: 396
Part of me wonders if they do this to large fixed wing a/c too.... I can just see BA putting the VAT receipt in for the latest A321???
HeliCraig is offline  
Old 13th Jul 2007, 13:33
  #90 (permalink)  

The Veloceraptor of Lounge Lizards
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: From here the view is lovely
Posts: 339
Or the captain putting the assessed VAT on his Visa card

verticalhold is offline  
Old 13th Jul 2007, 23:34
  #91 (permalink)  
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Maders UK
Age: 54
Posts: 806
I was checked in Cannes not long ago - N reg aircraft so a real target, the most important document pour les douaniers - the VAT receipt!

scooter boy is offline  
Old 14th Jul 2007, 08:09
  #92 (permalink)  
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Escrick York england
Posts: 1,600
verticalhold what register is yours on? has anyone been asked in a european /jar aircraft
md 600 driver is offline  
Old 14th Jul 2007, 09:41
  #93 (permalink)  
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Aberdeenshire
Posts: 217
I've been checked twice in the last 12 months in a G reg, vat not an issue for them, very pleasant and quick, despite being in a group of three aircraft. No probs, but I did have all docs neatly in a presentation folder.
jemax is offline  
Old 15th Jul 2007, 15:50
  #94 (permalink)  

The Veloceraptor of Lounge Lizards
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: From here the view is lovely
Posts: 339
Sadly our registrations vary across the world. Some private owners who don't worry about getting some PT hours on their aircraft have them registered all over the place. Normally I'm there in a UK reg'd aircraft. Trouble is I think the owner may have upset the French tax authorities at some time

Never any trouble from the customs guys. Just a quick ask and check and then off they go leaving me free for lunch

verticalhold is offline  
Old 15th Aug 2007, 19:05
  #95 (permalink)  
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Norge
Age: 40
Posts: 26
Flying in france, how?. French license??

Hi guys!!

I`m from Norway and do not speak more than five french words. I have a job (r22mariner) coming up flying photo outside st tropez. Heliport is close to the beach. Are they speaking english on the radio there? or FRENCH ONLY!!!!!!!??

I have a JAR-FCL CPL-H license issued in Norway. Do I need anything else to fly in france, or is it just to crank the baby up? (I am thinking about paperwork) Anybody have the website adress to the french caa?

Thanks for answers and comments, boys!!

lars1 is offline  
Old 15th Aug 2007, 21:03
  #96 (permalink)  
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Germany
Age: 50
Posts: 667

Hi Lars,
most of the frenchies know how to read, speak and understand English...
... but they hate to do so...
They are smarter than some of us who tend to give up their own language cause it`s more fashionable to speak with some sort of foreign accent and to wear baggy pants
French AIP

Spunk is offline  
Old 15th Aug 2007, 21:55
  #97 (permalink)  
Posts: n/a
Since France implemented the FCL2 in early 2006 and you have a JAR license, there is no problem for you to fly there.
Old 16th Aug 2007, 01:08
  #98 (permalink)  
Passion Flying Hobby Science Sponsor Work
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Belgium
Age: 65
Posts: 462
Saint Tropez

1. Language : As far as the language is concerned, English is more and more common, this improved a lot during the last years. Even at small airports people will try to reply in English.

2. Off site landing : helisurface permit needed. Saint Tropez in particular steps up actions against passing quotas (legal/governement interest stepped up again in July, made local head news)

3. Heights: Watch out for minimum heights above aglomerations, and wildlife parks, fines can be hefty.

4. Lots of yachts you can land on...

Nice flying, d3
delta3 is offline  
Old 16th Aug 2007, 11:05
  #99 (permalink)  
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Norge
Age: 40
Posts: 26
Thanks for help boys. very good

lars1 is offline  
Old 18th Aug 2007, 11:36
  #100 (permalink)  
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: North of the border
Posts: 184
Helos in France


I live full time in France and operate a G reg helicopter here.

Obtaining a permit to land anywhere is simple and quick. It is valid for ten years for the named pilot.

Please email me if you require assistance.
gyrotyro is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.