Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Ground & Other Ops Forums > Questions
Reload this Page >

2011 Worst Accident: Iran Air Boeing 727 Flight 277

Questions If you are a professional pilot or your work involves professional aviation please use this forum for questions. Enthusiasts, please use the 'Spectators Balcony' forum.

2011 Worst Accident: Iran Air Boeing 727 Flight 277

Old 3rd Jan 2012, 19:12
  #1 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NY
Posts: 4
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 Worst Accident: Iran Air Boeing 727 Flight 277

According to various sources, Iran Air Boeing 727 flight 277 was the world's worst air accident in 2011, claiming the lives of 77 passengers and crew on board:

Airline fatal accident numbers climb in 2011

Avionews - Agenzia stampa del settore aeronautico, elicotteristico, aerospaziale e della difesa

Unfortunately it looks like things are only going to get more difficult for Iranian airlines to continue to safely operate western aircraft such as Boeing and Airbus with ever increasing sanctions being applied against Iran.

In a recent surprise announcement, a spokesman for the Civil Aviation Organization of Iran announced that there exists a 98% capability in Iran to service Boeing, Airbus and Fokker aircraft:

Fars News Agency :: Official Stresses Iran's Self-Sufficiency in Repairing Passenger Planes

98% certainly sounds impressive, but what about the other 2% ? Call me over cautious, but I sure wouldn’t want to fly on an aircraft that has 2% of its maintenance unaccounted for.
I for one only hope that 2012 is not another year to have an Iranian airline in the unfortunate position of having the world’s worst air accident of the year.
jalflightdispatch is offline  
Old 5th Feb 2012, 14:46
  #2 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NY
Posts: 4
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is over 1 year on from the Iran Air Boeing 727 crash which claimed the lives of 77 people. Disappointingly however there has still been no official report or explanation into the cause of the accident .

There appears to be such little progress in the accident investigation that the investigation section of the Wikipedia article on Iran Air Flight Number 277 has not been updated in over a year:

According to the Wikipedia article, the investigation is being overseen by the Iran Civil Aviation Organization, but with such little progress over the past 12 months, have they even started yet ?
jalflightdispatch is offline  
Old 12th Feb 2012, 18:40
  #3 (permalink)  
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: 45 yards from a tropical beach
Posts: 1,103
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ironically, six months later, on 8th July 2011, another B727 crashed, this time in DR Congo, also claiming 77 lives.
Neptunus Rex is offline  
Old 13th Feb 2012, 16:23
  #4 (permalink)  
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: UTC +8
Posts: 2,627
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is no embargo on parts for civil aircraft which were in operation prior to an embargo.
GlueBall is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.