Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Wannabes Forums > Professional Pilot Training (includes ground studies)
Reload this Page >

EASA vs Transport Canada Instructor jobs

Professional Pilot Training (includes ground studies) A forum for those on the steep path to that coveted professional licence. Whether studying for the written exams, training for the flight tests or building experience here's where you can hang out.

EASA vs Transport Canada Instructor jobs

Old 7th Sep 2022, 19:01
  #1 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2022
Location: UT
Posts: 2
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EASA vs Transport Canada Instructor jobs

Hi there,

I'm new to the forum. Last year I obtained my EASA PPL. I'm currently accepted into a Canadian flight school to get my IR, MEP and Instructor rating. Due to a sudden price increase of 20% I started having doubts. I always assumed getting a FI job in Canada would be a lot easier compared to Europe. Does anyone know if thats true? I need to get Aviation experience after my studies in order to get Perminent Residency. After my studies I get a work permit for the time I studied in Canada. Therefore I cannot wait years for a job in Canada. On the other hand, I don't wanna wait many years just for an Instructor job here in Europe. I know converting from EASA to Canada is a lot easier than vice versa. Given the current economical instabilities, what would you choose to do, if you had to make the same decision?
Luukaviator2000 is offline  
Old 8th Sep 2022, 14:41
  #2 (permalink)  
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: London, GB
Posts: 685
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey, welcome to the forum and congratulations on the PPL.

If the endgame is to become a Canadian, do whatever maximises the chance of being invited to apply for permanent residency. There are opportunities for entry-level instructor positions, though some are located in remote regions or areas where the living costs are a bit high. Whatever immigration strategy you will pursue, seek professional advice. The rules and level of competition can change with little warning. The provinces also offer their own immigration programmes.

Neither an instrument rating nor a multi-engine class rating is needed to hold a Canadian flight instructor rating. A Canadian CPL is sufficient. The amount of training undertaken on a study permit affects the duration of the subsequent post-graduation work permit, meaning you might benefit from doing the instrument rating training before or shortly after the instructor rating. The theory courses for Canadian licences and ratings are shorter than under EASA. However, training for the Canadian flight instructor rating typically takes 3 months. There is a greater emphasis on preparatory ground instruction in Canada. Expect to pay more per hour for ground instruction including briefings.

The flight training required for a Canadian CPL exceeds that for an EASA CPL. Most of this difference lies in the amount of instrument time needed for the Canadian licence. There is also a peculiar requirement for the solo cross-country flight to include a landing at a point which is at least 300 nmi from the original point of departure. Doing the instrument rating before the CPL, rather than after, will reduce the total training time. Further, having a Canadian IR and 50 hours as PIC under IFR (that's how the rule is written) means it's possible to go directly to an EASA IR skill test, though some preparatory training is strongly advised. Transport Malta presents the rules on this clearly in section A3.9 of PEL Notice No. 80.

In other words, if you are in two minds about which strategy to pursue, training up to the point of a Canadian SEIR + 50 PIC IFR hours is rational. There is not much benefit in doing a Canadian CPL for the sole purpose of reducing the training required for an EASA CPL, as the credit will only be about 5 to 10 hours. I don't know how much credit the EASA member states typically give to third-country flight instructor rating holders. For UK purposes, the credit is 75% of the required ground instruction and 50% of the required flight training. Similarly, Transport Canada gives foreign flight instructor rating/certificate holders about a 50% credit. Transport will also give you a free multi-engine class rating (no flight test required) if you apply within 12 months of initially gaining the same rating on a foreign licence.

One factor that might spoil your appetite for Canada is the processing time for the initial category 1 (class 1) medical certificate which can take 6 to 9 months after the examination. There are a few dozen Canadian aviation medical examiners in Europe, search here.

Canada operates a youth mobility scheme with about three dozen countries, allowing foreign nationals under the age of 30 or 35 (depending on citizenship) to work in Canada for 12 or 24 months.
selfin is offline  
Old 9th Sep 2022, 14:41
  #3 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2022
Location: UT
Posts: 2
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for your reply!
I didn't know about that youth mobilty scheme. Such thing might be a game changer for me. My final goal is just to fly, but my dream is to land a bush or regional job in Canada one day. The thing that scares me a bit is that if I don't find an instructor job right away, I might not get the required work experience during my post study work permit. But it might be smarter/safer to get my EASA CPL/ FI rating and start my career here. I can always try to move to Canada in the future and convert my Licenses.

But I'm really curious how the job market for fresh Instructors is in Europe.
Luukaviator2000 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.