Professional Pilot Training (includes ground studies) A forum for those on the steep path to that coveted professional licence. Whether studying for the written exams, training for the flight tests or building experience here's where you can hang out.

Conversion Advice please !

Old 18th Aug 2022, 13:34
  #1 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: greece
Posts: 13
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Conversion Advice please !

Good day everyone.
Some advice needed.
I got my EASA frozen atpl back in 2018.
All my ratings needs renewal
MEP and MEIR expired in the end of 2019 along with the EASA medical which also expired in 2019.
I do not live in the EU and i want to convert my cpl/ir to either a transport canada or another ICAO cpl.
Now regarding transport canada, i know that i need to fly extra flight hours through a flight school to meet their minimum flight time requirements, but what i am confused about is the theoretical part of conversion.
I know that my EASA atpl theory exams are still valid for years to come, but are they still considered even though i cannot use the easa cpl privilages until i renew my easa medical ?
As right now i am not interested in renewing my EASA ratings so can i directly go to a flight college in canada for instance and start converting?
Can i use my easa 's ATPL theory towards the conversion as i do not want to pay more expenses towards more ground school or towards flying to the EU just to renew a medical.
If anyone has some advice or opinions i would highly appreciate it .

flyingwael330 is offline  
Old 18th Aug 2022, 15:00
  #2 (permalink)  
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Wherever I lay my hat
Posts: 3,493
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
EASA theory is meaningless outside of Europe. Having said that you put a lot of effort into passing which should stand you in good stead for going somewhere else. Basically everything else (theory wise) will be easier than what you've already done. The FAA for example has one exam for private, one for commercial, one for instrument and one for ATP.
None of them require more than a week to pass. I'm not as familiar with the Canadian system, however you one you have the necessary medical you can convert one to the other with just a 20 question written exam and no flight test. So essentially if you get one you've got both.

The best piece of advice I can give you is this:

EASA qualifications are extremely sought after and hard to get, so don't throw them away just because you don't want them now. Aviation is a global industry and one day you might wish you had them.
Do an EASA medical renewal every <5 years to avoid having to do an initial. And do a single engine IR test every <7 years to keep your theory valid.
rudestuff is offline  
Old 18th Aug 2022, 15:40
  #3 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: greece
Posts: 13
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rudestuff for a quick reply. I am not planning to let my EASA IR or theory lapse more than 7 years as i worked too hard for them and i know of their important value as you described, but right now i wish to get another ICAO license as well because i am planning to get some flight experience in North America and later i will renew my EASA ratings.
Now regardless to where i am planning to convert i want to make sure that i can use my EASA ATPL theory even with lapsed medical and IR to be exempt from attending theoretical courses in the country i wish to convert to.(Other than FAA )
I can renew my EASA medical, but it requires expenses and time i cannot afford right now since i want to use my money towards conversion first.
flyingwael330 is offline  
Old 18th Aug 2022, 17:55
  #4 (permalink)  
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Wherever I lay my hat
Posts: 3,493
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I doubt very much your ATPL theory will get you any credits, generally it's an actual ATPL that helps there. Although most places don't have strict requirements on course length anyway.
rudestuff is offline  
Old 18th Aug 2022, 18:32
  #5 (permalink)  
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: White Waltham, Prestwick & Calgary
Age: 70
Posts: 4,016
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
About the only thing you will get out of that in Canada is exemption from formal training for the IR. You will have to do the exams, but at least they are more straightforward, as will the FAA ones. At least the FAA and TC will let you gain each other's licence with a short law exam.
paco is offline  
Old 18th Aug 2022, 19:58
  #6 (permalink)  
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Dublin
Posts: 642
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"regarding transport canada, i know that i need to fly extra flight hours through a flight school to meet their minimum flight time requirements"

First thing to consider is the 6 to 12 month expected waiting time for the category 1 (class 1) medical certificate following the medical exam.

Normally evidence of medical fitness is needed to write the exams and a valid medical certificate is needed to attempt the flight test. There might be some covid exemptions that suspend those requirements. See index at

A list of Canadian AMEs is at:

The hours you mention need not necessarily be done through a flight training unit nor need they be done with a Canadian instructor. One exercise that likely needs doing is the long cross-country flight. The Canadian requirement is to land at least three times, other than at the point of departure, with one landing located at least 300 nmi from the point of departure. For the commercial, you might also need to do some night flying to reach 5 hours' solo and 10 complete circuits. On the commercial flight test you'll be required to demonstrate spin entry and recovery. There are some other pecularities on the test which can be covered with an instructor in a couple of flights. There's also a dual cross-country flight required for the instrument rating. It can be completed with any instructor or sufficiently experienced CPL/IR holder, which includes non-Canadian instructors and licence holders.

Note the Canadian interpretation of solo flight time, subsection 400.01(1) in the regulations:

solo flight time means, with respect to the flight time
necessary to acquire a permit, licence or rating,

(a) in the case of a pilot, the flight time during which
the pilot is the sole flight crew member, and

(b) in the case of a student pilot permit holder, the
flight time during which the holder is the sole
occupant of an aircraft while under the direction
and supervision of the holder of an instructor
rating for the appropriate category of aircraft;

Unless you're a Canadian resident, the solo flying can be done in a Canadian aeroplane using a foreign licence validation certificate, assuming you hold a valid SEP class rating on the EASA licence.

There's no formal requirement to attend ground school if the Canadian CPL flight experience requirements have been met, in addition to holding at least the equivalent licence from another ICAO State.

You don't need an instructor recommendation to attempt the CPAER or INRAT written exams. Para 421.13(3)(d) in the standards. It doesn't matter that your non-Canadian aircraft ratings have expired. You should email the relevant Transport Canada regional office to determine available exam sitting dates. Some regions won't have availability for months while others can offer slots almost immediately. Email addresses at

A list of Canadian flight training units is at:

Study and reference guides for the CPAER and INRAT and flight test guides for the CPL/IR/MEL are all at

Current fees can be found and paid on Transport's Online Payment System at

The Canadian IR comes in single- and multi-engine flavours. A Canadian CPL/IR can be converted to the US equivalent without doing any further flight tests. Thereafter, an IPC done with an FAA CFI-IA will count as an IPC for the Canadian IR. Canadian aeroplane class ratings don't expire.

If your goal is to obtain any ICAO CPL/IR with the smallest investment, you should consider a South African licence. I believe the flight test for the issue of the SACAA CPL and an SEIR can be done entirely in a flight training device. An SA class 1 medical will be issued immediately after a successful exam. However, the conversion requires the foreign licence and any ratings to be converted to be valid. To sit the conversion exams, an SACAA licence number is needed. One will be issued once the foreign licence has been verified. That can take anywhere from ten days to three months. The CPL/IR exams are based on the EASA ECQB. Government and examiner fees are quite low, as are instructor and aircraft rates and overall living costs. An Alsim 250 there goes for about 85 to 110 USD per hour dual.
selfin is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.