Professional Pilot Training (includes ground studies) A forum for those on the steep path to that coveted professional licence. Whether studying for the written exams, training for the flight tests or building experience here's where you can hang out.

Another EASA vs CAA Question - Sorry!

Old 9th Jan 2021, 09:54
  #1 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 8
Another EASA vs CAA Question - Sorry!

I begun the process to transfer my UK issued EASA PPL to the Maltese CAA before the end of last year, I got the application in on time and it is ongoing. I think my main rational for doing so, was to keep my Class 1 (Which I got at Birmingham last year before I moved to Germany) as EASA, to put towards an EASA ATPL in the next few years (to avoid another initial).
But since the Brexit deal, I have found my Class 1 will remain 'valid' (not current unless renewed of course) for the 5 years anyway (albeit lapsing to a Class 2 this year), and since the Birmingham AMEs now have approval to do both EASA/UK... Therefore i am not sure how much this is a factor? I realise an ATPL just requires a ICAO PPL, which i will have regardless - what to do to keep my EASA Class 1 for future use i think is my main factor.

Short Term

My aim in the short term, is to hour build here in Germany (here for three years), I have two options:
  1. Keep going with the Malta CAA SOLI transfer to keep an EASA PPL, fly D Reg aircraft locally here in Germany on the automatic validation certificate.
  2. Obtain an FAA 61.75 piggyback on my now UK PPL which will enable me to fly N-Reg aircraft here in Germany, at a local US Army flying club. I have the validation letter ready to take to an FSO.
However each has its own problems, in what happens when it comes to having to revalidate my SEP in late 2022. If I do transfer to Malta, I can have it revalidated here as within EASA, but of course this means I will return to the UK with an EASA PPL (and whatever that means at that point in time). But if I go the easier route of getting an FAA piggyback and flying with them, I am not sure if they will be able to revalidate my SEP, i would need to find a UK instructor?

Long Term (Post Hour Building)

EASA ATPL, most likely with BGS there using Austrocontrol. If my medical (Class 1 - lapsed at that time) is with Malta, how would that affect doing exams with Austro?

So basically three main questions:

a) What is the best thing to do with my recently issued Class One (which was and still could be EASA)
b) Do i transfer to EASA, or use an FAA piggyback to fly here in Germany
c) Does transferring to Malta affect where i can do the ATPL theory

Last edited by ben5560; 9th Jan 2021 at 10:12.
ben5560 is offline  
Old 9th Jan 2021, 12:52
  #2 (permalink)  

Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: White Waltham, Prestwick & Calgary
Age: 68
Posts: 3,849
Be very careful when letting a medical lapse to a Class 2 - although it is all you need for a ppl, the privileges included with a CPL/ATPL are only valid if the base licence is valid - without a Class 1 it is not! The moral is to get a separate PPL - there is a tick box on the application form.
paco is offline  
Old 9th Jan 2021, 13:08
  #3 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 8
I thought alot of people before starting ATPL studies get a Class 1, and at that stage it is very common to let it lapse as it isn't required yet - therefore only requiring a renewal at a later date?
ben5560 is offline  
Old 9th Jan 2021, 15:25
  #4 (permalink)  
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: London
Posts: 555
Part-MED was amended by Commission Implementing Regulation (EU) 2020/359 of 4 March 2020 to enable a CPL holder to exercise PPL privileges while holding a Class 2 medical certificate.

Specifically, FCL.305 point (a)(1) states that "[t]
he privileges of the holder of a CPL are, within the appropriate aircraft category, to ... exercise all the privileges of the holder of an LAPL and a PPL" and MED.A.030 point (c)(2) states "[w]hen exercising the privileges of a ... private pilot licence (PPL), the pilot shall hold at least a valid class 2 medical certificate".
selfin is offline  
Old 9th Jan 2021, 16:55
  #5 (permalink)  
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: London
Posts: 555
Obtain an FAA 61.75 piggyback on my now UK PPL which will enable me to fly N-Reg aircraft here in Germany, at a local US Army flying club.

Unless it's an annex I aircraft, you'll be required to hold an EASA Part-FCL licence (or validation) from 20 Jun 2022 if the aircraft operator is based there.
Article 12(4) of the Aircrew Regulation as amended (in three days from now) by Commission Implementing Regulation (EU) 2020/2193 of 16 December 2020. Separately, under Commission Delegated Regulation (EU) 2020/723, art 8(3), member states have the option of granting a "light weight" validation (administratively similar to the US 61.75 airman certificate) for non-commercial flying done for a maximum of 28 days per calendar year. Personally I would follow through with the change of state of licence issue.
selfin is offline  
Old 9th Jan 2021, 22:34
  #6 (permalink)  
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: UK
Posts: 13,859
As a part time professional pilot with a full time job in other sectors of aviation, I routinely get a class 1, then let it lapse to class 2 - renewing it when either I've got some flying lined up that needs the class 1, or I've got towards the end of the class 2 period. It's not a problematic thing to do, particularly as instructing doesn't need a class 1.
Genghis the Engineer is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.