Professional Pilot Training (includes ground studies) A forum for those on the steep path to that coveted professional licence. Whether studying for the written exams, training for the flight tests or building experience here's where you can hang out.

Part FCL SEP - instrument privileges

Old 28th Dec 2020, 19:01
  #1 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Utopia
Posts: 658
Part FCL SEP - instrument privileges

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I'm holding:
Class/Type/IR: GVI/IR and SEP (land)

My latest IR revalidation was on the GVI and the SEP renewal was after this. (Both ratings are now valid).

1. Am I allowed to do SEP instrument flying (I'm assuming not..)
2. Assuming 1 is NO, how do I regain privileges do conduct SEP instrument flying.

Thank you.
Klimax is offline  
Old 28th Dec 2020, 19:30
  #2 (permalink)  
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Meteorology Avenue 17
Age: 41
Posts: 185
1. No
2. Renew your IR on SEP (assuming your initial IR was done on SEP). Or, according to Appendix 8 from Part-FCL, you need to fly within the preceding 12 months at least 3 IFR departures and approaches exercising PBN privileges, including at least one RNP APCH approach on an SP class or type in SP operations.
maximus610 is offline  
Old 30th Dec 2020, 00:30
  #3 (permalink)  
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: EU
Posts: 495
You can use your type rating LPC to cross credit the renewal for your single pilot, single engine IR. To do this you will need to have completed 3 instrument approaches and departures, including at least one RNP approach in an SEP within the last 12 months. If you have completed this, you can show logbook proof of this to an IRE or CRE/IRR who can then renew your IR-SP-SE/PBN rating. The expiry of this will then match your type rating as this is what it's based off.

If you have not completed 3 approaches and departures in an SEP within the last 12 months, then you will need to do this first. If you have a UK IR(R) then you could complete this yourself and self certify. If you do not have this means of legally flying IFR, you should find a local instructor who was qualified to teach instrument stuff, complete the approaches/departures under instruction and get the instructor to certify this in your logbook. Then proceed to find an IRE or CRE/IRR (unless the instructor you used also has these ratings) and proceed as before.

It is NOT allowed to complete any single pilot (SEP or otherwise) instrument flying based off your type rating alone.

Good luck!

Hope something in this helps!
OhNoCB is offline  
Old 31st Dec 2020, 06:45
  #4 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Utopia
Posts: 658
Many thanks for your replies in clearing this out, Gentlemen
Klimax is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.