Professional Pilot Training (includes ground studies) A forum for those on the steep path to that coveted professional licence. Whether studying for the written exams, training for the flight tests or building experience here's where you can hang out.

FAA in Europe?

Old 25th Feb 2019, 15:37
  #1 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: EU
Posts: 50
FAA in Europe?


I am european but I will come to live in the USA in a few years. For the moment i'm here, so to not waste time I wonder if it is possible to start my FAA training in Europe?

I know that for theory exams I will have to study in Europe and come to the USA for the exams. Well, I'll go through the theory when I will go to visit my GF in California.

Now my question is for practice, I will pass a European PPL and convert to FAA in the USA it's fast.
But for the rest how is it going? I know there are a some FAA instructors in Europe, but I can not find any examiners.

Can I fly with an FAA instructor in Europe and take my exam in the USA with an examiner when I visit my girlfriend?
To have counted hours in the USA, I have to fly on N planes in Europe?

I ask this question because I could not stay more than 2 months for the moment in the USA with my work.

Thanks guys!
LaGuardia is offline  
Old 25th Feb 2019, 16:40
  #2 (permalink)  
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: .
Posts: 28
A friend of mine did his IR on a US registered SR22 in Europe. Not sure if the instructor was also an examiner. My friend might have had to go to the US for the exam(s). Can't remember. The instructor was in Rotterdam, Netherlands.

I guess contact the FAA directly and ask them? Any examiners will have to be registered with them.
Archer4 is offline  
Old 25th Feb 2019, 22:25
  #3 (permalink)  
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: In a house
Posts: 104
You could do your EASA licences and convert them to FAA when you eventually move there. Quite easy to do, the FAA are very easy to deal with for that in my opinion.
flyingmed is offline  
Old 26th Feb 2019, 08:18
  #4 (permalink)  
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,803
You can use a foreign license to get a FAA private certificate. However to get anything above the private level you go the same route as any American pilot unless it's a Canadian license.

Last edited by MarkerInbound; 26th Feb 2019 at 08:30.
MarkerInbound is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.