Professional Pilot Training (includes ground studies) A forum for those on the steep path to that coveted professional licence. Whether studying for the written exams, training for the flight tests or building experience here's where you can hang out.

Study visa for Egnatia aviation

Old 18th Jan 2018, 12:57
  #1 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: portugal
Posts: 18
Study visa for Egnatia aviation

Did any one of this forum members had any experience with issuing a visa in order to do a flying course in Egnatia aviation in Greece?

Egnatia say that it takes 8-10 weeks, my embassy say it's minimum 4 months. The issue is that I have to pay them 1500 Euros in advance before I even recieve any response regarding the visa..

Help please!
Stick_pusher is offline  
Old 18th Jan 2018, 21:21
  #2 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: portugal
Posts: 18
Can you please explain why?

Can you please explain why?
I don’t think that I can get a UK license in Greece because schools are working with the HCAA...
Stick_pusher is offline  
Old 20th Jan 2018, 08:14
  #3 (permalink)  
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Earth
Posts: 56
No clue about the visa issue but had a friend who was in Egnatia. He ended up switching to another school later on, simply because he didn't want to deal with the bureaucracy of the management.
Do your research and talk to people before you make a final decision.
As far as the Greek CAA is concerned, never had any problems with them.
Warlock1 is offline  
Old 23rd Jan 2018, 17:01
  #4 (permalink)  
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Neither Here Nor There
Posts: 1,118
Having worked for an ATO in Greece I can echo those words that the HCAA (YPA) is an absolute pain to deal with, like any public service in Greece - they could turn changing a light bulb into a bureaucratic monster. We had to have our licence and medical checked at the airport local HCAA office for every single training flight we did, and every flight required a flight plan, even if you were doing a single circuit. Sometimes the same person would check your licence and medical six or seven times in the same day..and the paperwork they generate is unbelievable. There were offices piled high with forms in a filing system that could only be described as 'a pile of paper' - I jest you not, they could take care of the Amazon rainforest in an afternoon!

The only bonus with doing your ATPLs in Greece is the examination price.

The rules only state that you must do your examinations in the same country as the ATO which conducted your ATPL theory training.

BTW, Egnatia is very good. I did some training work there and it is a very good set-up.

They can't be blamed for YPA! ;-)
2close is offline  
Old 23rd Jan 2018, 17:56
  #5 (permalink)  
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: six micro tesla zone
Age: 28
Posts: 397
I have spoken to Global and as stated you can do your CPL/IR skills test there and have your licence issued by the HCAA even if you have a medical issued by another EASA state. However, I was told if you want to do it this way it will take longer due to the bureaucracy.

Apparently, the quickest way to do it is to get a greek issued class 1 and then your licence will be issued much quicker after the skill test.

At the time I spoke to them I don't think Global were able to test you under any other CAA other than the HCAA.

Last edited by MaverickPrime; 23rd Jan 2018 at 19:57.
MaverickPrime is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.