Professional Pilot Training (includes ground studies) A forum for those on the steep path to that coveted professional licence. Whether studying for the written exams, training for the flight tests or building experience here's where you can hang out.

Decision to commence a take off

Old 26th Jul 2015, 22:06
  #1 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Europe
Posts: 31
Decision to commence a take off

Hi guys!

Here is something I am confused about:

According to EU-OPS (or PART-OPS; not sure about the name) it states at CAT.OP.MPA.180 Selection of aerodromes aeroplanes that

(c) The operator shall select two destination alternate aerodromes when:

(1) the appropriate weather reports and/or forecasts for the destination aerodrome indicate that during a period commencing one hour before and ending one hour after the estimated time of arrival, the weather conditions will be below the applicable planning minima; or

(2) no meteorological information is available.


AND a after a few pages at CAT.OP.MPA.245 Meteorological conditions all aircraft says that:

(a) On IFR flights the commander shall only:

(1) commence take-off; or

(2) continue beyond the point from which a revised ATS flight plan applies in the event of in-flight replanning,

when information is available indicating that the expected weather conditions, at the time of arrival, at the destination and/or required alternate aerodrome(s) are at or above the planning minima.



So, if you cannot take off when the weather at destination is below the planning minima, what it's the point of choosing 2 alternate aerodromes?
Because when the weather at destination is above planning minima at +/-1hr ETA, you only need 1 alternate.
b737air is offline  
Old 27th Jul 2015, 08:13
  #2 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 246
Decision to commence a take off

It says and/OR. So, if an alternate (or two) is/are needed you are only allowed TO when that alternates meets its planning minima.
JeroenC is offline  
Old 27th Jul 2015, 12:37
  #3 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Europe
Posts: 31
Thank you Jeroen! Seems like I put to much accent on the "destination" word and didn't pay enough attention to the "and/OR" phrasing.
b737air is offline  
Old 28th Jul 2015, 10:12
  #4 (permalink)  

de minimus non curat lex
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: sunny troon
Posts: 1,302
Put the academics to one side just for the moment, and think in practical terms just what the regulations are saying. You need a bolt hole at all times which you can comfortably escape to if your (planned) world starts to implode.

Take that one stage further, and hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

I can recall many moons ago when I was flying up to Sumburgh, Shetlands (LSI)in a Shorts 360, with previous drop offs at Inverness, and Kirkwall.

Planning TAF had LSI as CAVOK all day. Update at INV ~ NOSIG. Latest actual obtained at KOI now giving BKN 007. Uhmm I thought. Shift in the surface wind. . Arrived to be greeted by 300m FOG.
As the weather up north can be fickle even at the best of times, it kept you on your toes. That combined with VOR approaches at KOI (now ILS) made life somewhat interesting at times. The wind could also be sporty at times
parkfell is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.