Professional Pilot Training (includes ground studies) A forum for those on the steep path to that coveted professional licence. Whether studying for the written exams, training for the flight tests or building experience here's where you can hang out.

Dual license EASA and FAA

Old 2nd Jul 2015, 17:45
  #1 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Spain
Posts: 1
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Dual license EASA and FAA

Good afternoon everyone,

As you may notice I'm new posting on this forum, I'm 17 and IŽd love to become an airline pilot in the future.
In Europe (I'm Spanish) there are lots of good options for obtaining my license and I don't care going abroad for studying and working (In fact, I love it),but since getting a job is truly difficult over here, I'm tempted to get my license in the US even though many people advised me against it. They often say it's ok to live and work there but at one point in my life IŽll want to return home no matter what. I haven't mentioned that my dream, apart from flying, is to live and work in the US.
This is why I'm looking for flight schools that have this kind of "Dual licensing" of EASA and FAA integrated ATPLs. This would allow me to fly in both continents. I've heard they exist and have found some on the Internet, but you probably know of some other schools that offer that,it doesn't matter if they are in Europe or the States.
The alternative would be to get my license in the US and then converting it to an EASA one or vice versa, but I've heard it is not worth to do it.

Is there anybody who knows about this?
josealv98 is offline  
Old 2nd Jul 2015, 18:33
  #2 (permalink)  
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: White Waltham, Prestwick & Calgary
Age: 72
Posts: 4,163
Likes: 0
Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts
I think a lot depends on when you plan to come back - if it's a long way away, jut do the FAA one and convert later. In its present state, the EASA licence is to be avoided unless you actually need to do one. Over the next two years or so, the learning objectives (and the questions) will be changed to something more sensible. Personally, I would wait until then.

In any case, there's nothing wrong with the US if you want to live there. Don't listen to other people - do what you want.

paco is offline  
Old 2nd Jul 2015, 20:16
  #3 (permalink)  
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: UK
Posts: 14,241
Received 52 Likes on 28 Posts
For it to be a real choice, you need permission - usually through citizenship - to live and work*in the *USA.

If you don't or can't fairly easily get that - most likely through citizenship, EASA is your only realistic option anyhow.

Genghis the Engineer is offline  
Old 3rd Jul 2015, 10:32
  #4 (permalink)  
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: south africa
Age: 25
Posts: 7
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Similar predicament

I'm in a similar position in that I am studying in South Africa (where I live and am at school - so relocating is slim..) but I do not plan to stay here after studying... And in this situation I would most probably look towards Europe as I'm a British citizen, but then I'd need to sit the exams for the relevant licences again. Is it possible to do both CAA and EASA exams here?
Ckcoles is offline  
Old 3rd Jul 2015, 16:44
  #5 (permalink)  
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: White Waltham, Prestwick & Calgary
Age: 72
Posts: 4,163
Likes: 0
Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts
Probably not, but I believe that South Africa recently bought a version of the EASA questions, so at least they will be familiar!

The (UK) CAA will have a list of exam centres.

paco is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.