Professional Pilot Training (includes ground studies) A forum for those on the steep path to that coveted professional licence. Whether studying for the written exams, training for the flight tests or building experience here's where you can hang out.

Online FAA CPL Course

Old 20th Mar 2015, 17:23
  #1 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: The Netherlands
Age: 38
Posts: 1
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Online FAA CPL Course


I've recently been offered a job to become a flight instructor in the US and currently have a JAA frozen ATPL. I first have to complete an EASA FI rating which will be taken care of but I've been advised to in the meantime start on an online FAA CPL ground school course.
I was wondering if there are any which are recommended since there's so many out there along with varying prices?

All advice and suggestions are welcome.
Ray84 is offline  
Old 21st Mar 2015, 10:50
  #2 (permalink)  
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In someone pocket
Posts: 1,201
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Try Gleim.... cheap and fast. you really need to learn the questions. goto USA and the sit in front of a computer and answer the questions which are exactly the same..

Dont spend too much money on courses... Goto and download the Gleim CPL book.. even cheaper.. FAA is not rocket science..
jetjockey696 is offline  
Old 21st Mar 2015, 13:15
  #3 (permalink)  
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: In Space
Posts: 683
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you have been taught or flown in the states, you can do the CPL test now its that easy.
B737900er is offline  
Old 9th May 2015, 11:55
  #4 (permalink)  
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: India
Posts: 6
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You need to receive a logbook endorsement from an instructor to sit for the FAA CPL knowledge exam.

You may decide to do an online ground school or do a home study course for the written exam and be signed off by an instructor to write the exam. There are many oral exam guides available in the market to prepare for the exam.
I would suggest you buy Gleim.

If you need an endorsement for writing the exam, PM me. I have a CFI (FAA) and an Advanced ground Instructor (FAA) certificate.

Hope this helps.
Whirlybird25 is offline  
Old 12th May 2015, 18:45
  #5 (permalink)  
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Augusta, Georgia, USA (back from Germany again)
Posts: 217
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All advice and suggestions are welcome.
You will need to go through a simple, but time-consuming process to have your EASA private pilot license "validated" to get an FAA Private Pilot Certificate issued "on the basis of" your current license. Lots of steps, but not hard. Google FAA validate foreign license and click on the EASA link on that page.

Note - there are no pilots licenses in the US. So, no CPL. The proper title for a piece of paper from the FAA is a Certificate; a private pilot has a Private Pilot Certificate (likely) with an Airplane Single Engine Land (ASEL) rating. ASEL is SEP in EASA land.

You will need to get a visa for flight training which, I believe, is different from a visa to live/work in the US. After you pass the FAA knowledge exam and the checkride, you will have a commercial pilot certificate independent of any/all of your EASA documents.
LTCTerry is offline  
Old 13th May 2015, 00:03
  #6 (permalink)  
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,899
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Most of the online training programs come with a completion certificate that you print out after finishing the program which counts as the instructor endorsement so no CFI sign off required.
MarkerInbound is offline  
Old 13th May 2015, 19:17
  #7 (permalink)  
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 60
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As you cant add ratings to the piggyback it always stays as a private based on certificate.
Anyway l'm not sure that you need it as you will get a stand alone CPL when you've completed the test.
multycpl is offline  
Old 13th May 2015, 21:46
  #8 (permalink)  
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,899
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In order to get a FAA commercial you have to hold a FAA private or be a military pilot. 61.123(h). The 61.75 "based on" is the easy way to do it. You can skip the FAA private and commercial and go straight for the ATP if you hold a foreign ATP or commercial.
MarkerInbound is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.