Professional Pilot Training (includes ground studies) A forum for those on the steep path to that coveted professional licence. Whether studying for the written exams, training for the flight tests or building experience here's where you can hang out.

Will JAA flying in USA be PIC?

Old 16th Apr 2012, 16:17
  #1 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Sweden
Posts: 36
Will JAA flying in USA be PIC?

I have a student with a FAA Single Commercial and a JAA MEL Private.

My student want his FAA MEI, and in order to get that, he need 15 hrs FAA PIC-time. Right now, he only have 2 hrs Multi PIC.

My question; When I'm giving him dual-training for FAA Multicommercial, will that be considered as PIC, since he already have his JAA- MEL?
anderse is offline  
Old 16th Apr 2012, 17:21
  #2 (permalink)  
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Above & Beyond
Posts: 323
When I was training in the US if the student has a license then he can also log PIC time as well as it being dual time. Under JAR this would only be considered as Dual time.
punk666 is offline  
Old 16th Apr 2012, 19:43
  #3 (permalink)  
Join Date: Dec 1998
Location: Escapee from Ultima Thule
Posts: 4,230
Under JAR, only one person can be PIC. If that's you (you're giving him dual training), then it's not him
Tinstaafl is offline  
Old 16th Apr 2012, 19:54
  #4 (permalink)  
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Mare Nostrum
Age: 37
Posts: 1,394
What Punk666 and Tinsaafl have said is correct, however that is not the question that the OP is asking.

The OP has a student who wants to be an FAA MEI, which requires 15 hours of ME PIC. So we are looking at FARs, not JARs.

Does the student log PIC in this case under FARs?
to be honest, I don't know the answer, as I look at FAR 61.51, the definition says that you can log PIC for an aircraft in which you are rated... but the question is how do we define rated? Maybe you should ask the FSDO for interpretation.

Last edited by zondaracer; 16th Apr 2012 at 21:44.
zondaracer is offline  
Old 16th Apr 2012, 21:24
  #5 (permalink)  
Join Date: Dec 1998
Location: Escapee from Ultima Thule
Posts: 4,230
Good point.

I think the student will need to get a 61.75 validation of the JAR ME licence. That'll make him legal to be PIC of an 'N' registered plane.
Tinstaafl is offline  
Old 17th Apr 2012, 22:49
  #6 (permalink)  
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: FL, USA
Posts: 2,417
No the student in question cannot get a validation since he already holds a US certificate, his CPL SE.
You cannot hold a CPL SE and a (validation) PPL ME at the same time.
Your student needs to get a FAA CPL ME add-on, then log the training for the MEI as PIC and dual received towards the 15 hrs requirement.

Not a big deal since here's a plan;
there is no requirement to fly the CPL ME checkride from the LH seat so it can be done from the RH seat.
So train you stduent fror teh ME add-on from teh RH seat as a practice run for his MEI.
Still need to do 15 hrs. after his CPL ME to meet the regs but you can use those to teach the finer points of how to stay alive as an MEI.
So your student has more RH seat time for his MEI check ride, makes sense?
To me it does but my brain died half an hour ago......
B2N2 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.