Private Flying LAA/BMAA/BGA/BPA The sheer pleasure of flight.

PPL Ebooks

Old 5th May 2020, 06:59
  #1 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Redditch
Posts: 15
PPL Ebooks

Hi, I am looking to study for my PPL and was wondering If anyone has any Ebooks they could share? Thanks
Richard Kenneth Reed is offline  
Old 5th May 2020, 10:46
  #2 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 1999
Location: UK
Age: 73
Posts: 587
Originally Posted by Richard Kenneth Reed View Post
Hi, I am looking to study for my PPL and was wondering If anyone has any Ebooks they could share? Thanks
Try 'Handling Light Aircraft' by Julien Evans. Good luck with the course.
Discorde is offline  
Old 5th May 2020, 11:11
  #3 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Redditch
Posts: 15
Originally Posted by Discorde View Post
Try 'Handling Light Aircraft' by Julien Evans. Good luck with the course.
Thank you. Is it advisable that I purchase a PPL study kit from Pooleys and use this as supplementary reading?
Richard Kenneth Reed is offline  
Old 5th May 2020, 18:18
  #4 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 1999
Location: UK
Age: 73
Posts: 587
Hi Richard

HLA deals with the technical description and piloting (handling) techniques of the typical basic training light aircraft with tricycle landing gear, such as the Piper PA28 and Cessna C152. It includes information on recent technical developments such as EFIS instrumentation, GPS, FADEC engine control and electronic ignition. The book also includes the Theory of Flight.

For other PPL subjects (Navigation, Flight planning, Operational procedures, Radio communications, Aviation law, Meteorology and Human performance) you would need to refer to other publications.

Some online booksellers offer downloads of a free sample of HLA.
Discorde is offline  
Old 5th May 2020, 20:18
  #5 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: UK
Posts: 13,746
Originally Posted by Richard Kenneth Reed View Post
Thank you. Is it advisable that I purchase a PPL study kit from Pooleys and use this as supplementary reading?
No, don't buy a complete kit, buy the stuff you actually need - and there's a price premium for the complete kits, justified by inclusion of things like an overpriced and unnecessary flight bag.

There are two commonly used sets of books in the UK: Pooleys (originally written by Trevor Thom, then re-written by Peter Godwin) and AFE (written by Jeremy Pratt). Both are good, personally I regard the AFE books as better to learn from, and the Pooleys books as better for sources of reference. There is also an excellent, and much cheaper online course from CATS here: https://www.catsaviation.com/courses/ppl.html . Why do CATS basically give this away?, as a loss leader for their core business professional pilot courses: take advantage, they want you to.

If buying the books, the only one that changes significantly between editions is aviation law - everything else buy old copies on eBay and save yourself a lot of money. Similarly, an old second hand chart, right now, is fine for study purposes, and any flight planning equipment again, no harm in saving money by buying secondhand. But do have the latest air law book, whichever set you're using. The chart you want for study is almost certainly the CAA 1:500,000 VFR chart - they're about 16 new, many people will have old ones they don't want.

The "Flight Computer" that you'll need to learn, is known in the USA as an "E6B", and once you know that you'll find loads of online teaching material / YouTube videos / simulators, etc. that you can use as learning material. Don't get hung up on the subtle difference between models - they all work the same.

If you know what aeroplane type you will be learning on, then you should be able to find online manuals, for them - or ask on here and somebody will have a scanned copy.

Best of luck, it's a great journey.

G
Genghis the Engineer is offline  
Old 6th May 2020, 07:23
  #6 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Redditch
Posts: 15
Originally Posted by Genghis the Engineer View Post
No, don't buy a complete kit, buy the stuff you actually need - and there's a price premium for the complete kits, justified by inclusion of things like an overpriced and unnecessary flight bag.

There are two commonly used sets of books in the UK: Pooleys (originally written by Trevor Thom, then re-written by Peter Godwin) and AFE (written by Jeremy Pratt). Both are good, personally I regard the AFE books as better to learn from, and the Pooleys books as better for sources of reference. There is also an excellent, and much cheaper online course from CATS here: https://www.catsaviation.com/courses/ppl.html . Why do CATS basically give this away?, as a loss leader for their core business professional pilot courses: take advantage, they want you to.

If buying the books, the only one that changes significantly between editions is aviation law - everything else buy old copies on eBay and save yourself a lot of money. Similarly, an old second hand chart, right now, is fine for study purposes, and any flight planning equipment again, no harm in saving money by buying secondhand. But do have the latest air law book, whichever set you're using. The chart you want for study is almost certainly the CAA 1:500,000 VFR chart - they're about 16 new, many people will have old ones they don't want.

The "Flight Computer" that you'll need to learn, is known in the USA as an "E6B", and once you know that you'll find loads of online teaching material / YouTube videos / simulators, etc. that you can use as learning material. Don't get hung up on the subtle difference between models - they all work the same.

If you know what aeroplane type you will be learning on, then you should be able to find online manuals, for them - or ask on here and somebody will have a scanned copy.

Best of luck, it's a great journey.

G
Thank you for all this info - much appreciated!
Richard Kenneth Reed is offline  
Old 6th May 2020, 16:15
  #7 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: UK
Posts: 13,746
Further thought, if you want up to date charts, buy memorymap online,then you can buy electronic copies of the chart for 20. (It's what I do, then I print off the bits of chart I want for a given trip on the office printer.)

G
Genghis the Engineer is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.