Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Non-Airline Forums > Private Flying
Reload this Page >

Using European flying time in USA

Private Flying LAA/BMAA/BGA/BPA The sheer pleasure of flight.

Using European flying time in USA

Old 8th Mar 2020, 11:39
  #1 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Meath
Age: 23
Posts: 4
Using European flying time in USA


I'm wondering if anyone knows if I can use my logged Irish PPL flying hours (I have 10 hours flying in Ireland) to complete my PPL in the USA?

What I mean is counting my 10 hours of Irish flying time towards the hours needed to obtain an FAA PPL, meaning I would only need a minimum of 25 flying hours in the USA.

I hope someone can help with this query.
conord2424 is offline  
Old 8th Mar 2020, 19:12
  #2 (permalink)  
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: UK
Posts: 13,936
Ask your Irish instructor to certify the logbook entries, take your logbook with you.

That, I think, is about it.

FAA PPL is however 40hrs, not 35hrs. And few people do a PPL in minimum hours, so don't be surprised if you pass 40 additional hours needed to pass your checkride anyhow. If you do, that's just how it was, and nobody's fault.

Genghis the Engineer is offline  
Old 9th Mar 2020, 06:42
  #3 (permalink)  
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Wherever I lay my hat
Posts: 3,112
Read part 61, it's all in there.
rudestuff is offline  
Old 9th Mar 2020, 09:55
  #4 (permalink)  
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: London
Posts: 600
Yes it's probably creditable.

The minimum number of training hours required for a private pilot certificate depends on whether the training is pursued under a Part 141 course. Under Part 141 a minimum of 35 training hours is required for the certificate in the airplane category. In a non-Part 141 course, colloquially Part 61 training, a minimum of 40 flight training hours is required.

Flight training received outside US from a non-US flight instructor can be credited either way according to 14 CFR 61.41 (link). There is however a limitation on how much previous flight training can be credited towards the completion of a Part 141 course. For previous training received in a non-Part 141 course, including training credited under 14 CFR 61.41, the credit is limited to a quarter of the required flight training hours. The credit is also subject to a favourable evaluation by the school. For so-called Part 61 training courses there is no such limit and no evaluation is formally required. Minimum required flight training times are respectively 26 h 15 m and 30 h. It would be unrealistic to expect completion in so few hours in either case.

The Student and Exchange Visitor Program requires aliens admitted to US under an F- (academic) or M-class (non-academic) student visa, or status, to attend a Part 141-certificated flight school. This does not however require the course to be completed under Part 141.

Additional options include completing your EASA Part-FCL PPL at an EASA ATO located in US, or pursuing a Canadian private pilot licence.

Most US-based EASA ATOs are directly overseen by EASA. A list of them is published by EASA (link). Other US-based ATOs operate as satellite training bases under the approval of training organisations located in the EASA member states. Take care to ensure that any EASA training done at such a satellite ATO under UK CAA oversight, such as Naples Air Centre, will remain acceptable towards an EASA Part-FCL licence after UK leaves EASA in the event that your licence application is delayed beyond the end of the transition period (presently 31 Dec 2020 at 2300z).

Your previous flight and ground training time will be creditable towards a Canadian private pilot licence subject to a favourable review by the holder of a Canadian flight instructor rating. The minimum required flight training is 45 hours reduced in your case to no fewer than 35 hours. Canadian training syllabuses have evolved from the British Gosport System so the air exercises are almost identical to those used in UK and the Republic of Ireland. Canadian licences and ratings are convertible without flight test to equivalent US certificates and ratings. Note that the national average time to completion tends to be around 65 hours and you should budget for at least that amount wherever your training will be done. There is no security threat assessment required for foreigners pursuing flight training in Canada and for courses done in fewer than 6 months no study permit is needed. Examiner are also less expensive. Those incidental fees make US training for aliens requiring an F- or M-class visa, or status, about 1100 EUR more expensive. If you should like to fly commercially in Canada, or as a flight instructor in US, then let it be known so the discussion can cover steps to take before commencing training.
selfin is online now  
Old 9th Mar 2020, 11:12
  #5 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Meath
Age: 23
Posts: 4
Thanks for the info, really good to know!
conord2424 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.