Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Non-Airline Forums > Private Flying
Reload this Page >


Private Flying LAA/BMAA/BGA/BPA The sheer pleasure of flight.


Old 17th Nov 2019, 19:40
  #1 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: USA
Posts: 1

Hi guys, I know there is a lot of info on the web about piggybacking licenses but I can't seem to find anything that answers my question. I got my UK CAA PPL in 1999 and it is valid for life. I also did some flying in 2001 in the US and basically had some paperwork that said if my UK PPL was valid I could fly in the US - pretty standard stuff, everybody does it. However, I now live full time in the US. I haven't flown for about 15 years and my medical is obviously expired. Basically, i'd like to get a full US PPL without going back to the UK and getting my UK PPL back up and active. Does anybody know if this can be done?, i.e. i'd like to have a standalone US PPL - obviously I understand I may have to pass some exams and checkrides. Also, any schools that specialize in this stuff
caveolae is offline  
Old 17th Nov 2019, 21:13
  #2 (permalink)  
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Hotel this week, hotel next week, home whenever...
Posts: 1,491
I had a 61.75 and needed to upgrade - IIRC a few practice sessions for the ground reference manoeuvres and the PPL written and then check ride by FAA examiner. No great shakes. That was 20 years ago so may have changed - check in your local flying school/club for the latest info.
Duchess_Driver is offline  
Old 17th Nov 2019, 21:15
  #3 (permalink)  
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Uncertain Of Position
Age: 56
Posts: 13
I am not 100% sure, but as your UK (CAA) PPL is (or should be) perpetual, you can use it to gain a stand alone licence. I can't recall the exact training requirements, but it is somethingline you must to a min of 3 hours dual to prepare for the flight test, have flown at least 5 hours under instruments (can be dual) and of course, get your US medical. I don't think there is a theory requirement or whether you need a current medical from the country of licence.
GAAV8R is offline  
Old 18th Nov 2019, 15:12
  #4 (permalink)  
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Augusta, Georgia, USA (back from Germany again)
Posts: 212
Stand alone certificate

FAR 61.109 lists the aeronautical experience requirements for a standalone Private Pilot Certificate. It doesn't matter if you met these requirements in G-reg or N-reg airplanes or with a FAA, CAA, or EASA instructor. It all counts towards 40 total, 20 solo, etc. Note, words have meaning. "Solo" in "five hours of solo cross country" means you were the only person in the airplane. PIC with friends/family is not solo...

I believe the CAA changed license numbers a while back (CAA to EASA?). If your 61.75 Certificate references a previous number, then it's not valid until you complete the associated paperwork exercise.

If the 61.75 Certificate is not valid, then you cannot use it to fulfill any solo requirements. In the US, the "student" is PIC on check rides unless the Examiner agrees to be. EXCEPT in the case of a 61.75 Certificate, the FAA does not allow any pilot to hold more than one Certificate.

Get with an instructor. Look over your logbook. See what's missing from the 61.109 requirements.

You need a medical in any case. Getting home to do that is probably not worth it. My suggestion:

1. Get with an instructor to review 61.109, your logbook, and apply online for a student pilot certificate.

2. Get a flight physical, or if eligible, Basic Med.

3. Study for and pass the FAA Private Pilot Airplane Knowledge Test.

4. Fly with the instructor for currency, check ride prep, and to fulfill the 61.109 requirement for three hours of training w/in 60 days of the check ride.

5. Pass the check ride with flying colors! Then you will be the holder of a fully independent FAA Private Pilot Certificate with ASEL rating.

If you think about it, not much of this is different than just getting current. Medical - same. "Three hours" - you need currency and a Flight Review. (61.56). Knowledge test and practical test - one time extra costs. You could do this in just a few weeks.

Hope this helps.
LTCTerry is offline  
Old 18th Nov 2019, 17:01
  #5 (permalink)  
Join Date: May 1999
Location: UK
Posts: 602
Very helpful summary, LTCTerry.

For people reading this, don't forget that as an alien/non-US citizen you would also need to meet the TSA rules:
BossEyed is offline  
Old 20th Nov 2019, 21:31
  #6 (permalink)  
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: S Warwickshire
Posts: 1,214
You will have been issued with a US airman's certificate back in 2001, but it will need to be replaced with the new credit card style.
You can do an FAA airman search online to see that they have a record of your original airman's certificate.
Your local FSDO can arrange the change from paper to plastic.
It will still be valid if you still have the UK licence that was listed on the certificate. The number change only applied to JAR licences changing to EASA. UK national licences were not affected.

So the minimum that you will need to be legal to fly again will be a medical (FAA class 3 or UK class 2) and a current flight review with an instructor.
The amount of training to get you back up to speed is basically up to you and does not require you to go through the security process as you already have the licence.
Mark 1 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.