Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Non-Airline Forums > Private Flying
Reload this Page >

PPL currency question

Private Flying LAA/BMAA/BGA/BPA The sheer pleasure of flight.

PPL currency question

Old 25th Jun 2019, 10:44
  #1 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Out West
Posts: 249
PPL currency question

Hello. After a career flying helicopters commercially I have the opportunity to fly for a private owner and therefore only require PPL(H) privileges. I have never found the CAA website very user-friendly and, as I am not familiar with private flying, I am hoping that someone here might be able to point me in the right direction? I am currently flying on an ATPL(H) which has the current type rating of the helicopter I want to fly privately. To retain commercial privileges on that licence I need to pass a PC every 12 months and a medical every 6 months (I am over 60).

If I want to fly the same helicopter privately do I need to obtain a PPL(H) and if so what is the currency requirements/test (VFR only) applicable to that? Also what class of medical certificate do I require as a 60 year old PPL? Thank you.
Same again is offline  
Old 25th Jun 2019, 15:00
  #2 (permalink)  
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: England
Posts: 965
For Fixed wing the ATPL/CPL contains PPL privileges. The SEP and MEP revalidations are the same for ATPL/CPL as for PPL.

I would assume the type rating would apply to PPL as well as ATPL/CPL.

Also I don't think you can hold a PPL and ATPL at the same time so you might have to surrender your ATPL to get a PPL which you might not want to do.
18greens is offline  
Old 25th Jun 2019, 15:56
  #3 (permalink)  
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: The middle
Posts: 367
If you are going to be paid for your services you still need to hold a CPL or ATPL. The private flight part only means that you don’t need an AOC. That is the case with fixed wing any how, but the licence privileges are the same.
excrab is offline  
Old 2nd Jul 2019, 21:21
  #4 (permalink)  
Join Date: May 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 1,378
As above, you'll have a PPL(H) already. If you have an EASA licence, it should list all three in the top box, ATPL, CPL and PPL.

Don't confuse this with the rating. The licence is valid for life, the rating will have the same revalidation terms regardless of the licence, although if not operating commercially perhaps just the LPC every 12 months rather than OPC every 6.

As for medical, if you're being paid you'll likely still need class 1, which will have the same restrictions you have now. Chat to an AME about what you need and why. They're usually very approachable.
RTN11 is offline  
Old 3rd Jul 2019, 10:25
  #5 (permalink)  
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Kiwiland
Posts: 514
I agree. Your license is also a PPL and the rating is the same. You need to do the same PC. There is no need to inform the CAA. If you are truly flying for no reward you can let your class 1 lapse after 6 months as it then automatically becomes a class 2 for a further 6 months. After the 12 months you can either have another class 1 examination and repeat the cycle (6 months class 1, six months class 2, annual examination) or merely be examined for a class 2 which will have a 12 month validity. The class 2 examination may be cheaper but your class 1 will eventually lapse and be more difficult to regain.

However as I read it you are flying 'for' not 'with' an owner and that needs a class 1 unless he is a friend and no money changes hands except cost sharing. Post Sala I expect such arrangements may come under additional scrutiny. You cannot fly passengers single pilot over 60 (it is on the back of your certificate) although you can continue to do commercial ariel work single pilot and indeed 'exercise the privileges' of the class 1 when otherwise flying without reward.
Radgirl is offline  
Old 3rd Jul 2019, 11:01
  #6 (permalink)  
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Bressuire
Posts: 78
There is a distinct difference from being employed as a pilot but differently being employed in a non piloting role but piloting (chauffeuring) the employer as and when required. There are probably hundreds of PPL's operating in this way quite legally throughout this country and worldwide. An aircraft flying on behalf of the company that owns or operates the aircraft is not flying commercially, it is a private flight. The pilots licence therefore need only be a Private Pilots Licence.

Please everyone don't make up your own rules, the state needs no help. The 'Salah' case, from what we know of it, has no resemblance.
Fl1ingfrog is offline  
Old 3rd Jul 2019, 15:01
  #7 (permalink)  
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Europe
Posts: 5,839
Not so many years ago the tests pilots on Concorde only had PPLs
Whopity is offline  
Old 3rd Jul 2019, 18:19
  #8 (permalink)  
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: On the wireless...
Posts: 1,861
Originally Posted by Whopity View Post
Not so many years ago the tests pilots on Concorde only had PPLs
Here is an AAIB report on an A300 Beluga commanded by a PPL.The commander's licence is not relevant to the incident.
Talkdownman is offline  
Old 5th Jul 2019, 09:14
  #9 (permalink)  
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Kiwiland
Posts: 514
There is a distinct difference from being employed as a pilot but differently being employed in a non piloting role but piloting (chauffeuring) the employer as and when required. There are probably hundreds of PPL's operating in this way quite legally
Not sure I agree on numbers - most people in this position I know have commercial licenses, just no AOCs. But.......So I am employed as a secretary but actually fly the CEO round in a 135

Legal or illegal? I am paid as a secretary not as a pilot. You can ask if I can actually type. You can ask how many hours I am a secretary and how many I am a pilot. You can ask how I pay for my training and how I pay a contribution to hours flown. You can ask what a coincidence it is that the secretary turns out after appointment to be able to fly the very aircraft the CEO has bought. You can dress this up however you like but if it looks like a duck, waddles like a duck and quacks like a duck it is.....a duck

I am amazed at the complacency of some in the industry to allow standards to be lowered like this. And one day the holes in the Swiss cheese will line up - the commander's license type may well be irrelevant to the accident but the whole mess will unravel.
Radgirl is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.