Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Non-Airline Forums > Private Flying
Reload this Page >

FAA Glider rate to power?

Private Flying LAA/BMAA/BGA/BPA The sheer pleasure of flight.

FAA Glider rate to power?

Old 10th Apr 2011, 14:24
  #1 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Northamtptonshire
Posts: 51
FAA Glider rate to power?

Can anyone tell me what is involved in adding a power rating to my stand alone FAA Private Pilot Certificate with Glider rating? I am UK based but got my rating when on an extended business trip in the US.

I was told if I add a rating this means I don’t need a BFR for another two years so was thinking that were this true would be more interesting than doing the BFR when I am next in the US.

Cannot find any reference to this on the FAA website so hope there is someone on PPRuNe can tell me if this is possible or it is simplyto start from scratch!.
powerless is offline  
Old 11th Apr 2011, 14:11
  #2 (permalink)  
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: London
Age: 47
Posts: 585
Adding any rating to your FAA certificate may be used in lieu of a BFR.
julian_storey is offline  
Old 14th Apr 2011, 11:56
  #3 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Northamtptonshire
Posts: 51
Thanks for the confirmation of the BFR status, just hope someone may have the answer to the add on of power rating.
powerless is offline  
Old 13th Dec 2011, 14:23
  #4 (permalink)  
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Augusta, Georgia, USA (back from Germany again)
Posts: 145
Adding power pilot to existing FAA Private Pilot Glider

Much of your experience will be usable.

This FAA website Electronic Code of Federal Regulations: details all the requirements for ASEL.

If you look at the section on aeronautical experience, you will see a requirement for 40 (total) hours of flight time. All your glider time counts towards this. There is a further breakdown of aeronautical experience such as:

... training must include at least—

(1) 3 hours of cross-country flight training in a single-engine airplane;

(2) Except as provided in §61.110 of this part, 3 hours of night flight training in a single-engine airplane that includes—

(i) One cross-country flight of over 100 nautical miles total distance; and

(ii) 10 takeoffs and 10 landings to a full stop (with each landing involving a flight in the traffic pattern) at an airport.

(3) 3 hours of flight training in a single-engine airplane on the control and maneuvering of an airplane solely by reference to instruments, including straight and level flight, constant airspeed climbs and descents, turns to a heading, recovery from unusual flight attitudes, radio communications, and the use of navigation systems/facilities and radar services appropriate to instrument flight;

(4) 3 hours of flight training with an authorized instructor in a single-engine airplane in preparation for the practical test, which must have been performed within the preceding 2 calendar months from the month of the test; and

(5) 10 hours of solo flight time in a single-engine airplane, consisting of at least—

(i) 5 hours of solo cross-country time;

(ii) One solo cross country flight of 150 nautical miles total distance, with full-stop landings at three points, and one segment of the flight consisting of a straight-line distance of more than 50 nautical miles between the takeoff and landing locations; and

(iii) Three takeoffs and three landings to a full stop (with each landing involving a flight in the traffic pattern) at an airport with an operating control tower.

Any flight that can count in more than one are will. Dual crosscountry under the hood works towards multiple requirements. Although unlikely, you could do one dual cross country at night and the five solo hours during the day. If you land at control tower equipt airports you have met an additional requirement "for free." If you accomplish it all within two months than the "three hours of check ride prep" is a moot point.

Also, you will have to pass the private pilot (ASEL) written exam.

If the requirement doesn't say "in a single engine land airplane" then any aircraft will do.

I know the question was asked in April, but perhaps this helps...

LTCTerry is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.