Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Misc. Forums > PPRuNe Problems or Queries
Reload this Page >

How to join a private forum?

PPRuNe Problems or Queries The home for site specific queries and comments on PPRuNe desktop and mobile.

How to join a private forum?

Old 23rd Aug 2023, 19:35
  #1 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2023
Location: U.K.
Posts: 96
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to join a private forum?

Keep being told their is a hyper link to join the easyjet private forum. As a friend has shown me it is only visible when you are logged into said forum? So to join you must already be a member ? Can someone please help?
Red41 is offline  
Old 25th Aug 2023, 04:53
  #2 (permalink)  
Chief Bottle Washer
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: PPRuNe
Posts: 5,280
Received 212 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by Red41
Keep being told their is a hyper link to join the easyjet private forum. As a friend has shown me it is only visible when you are logged into said forum? So to join you must already be a member ? Can someone please help?
I have responded to your PM and given you access, but to clear up the misinformation that your friend showed you, any PPRuNe member can apply via the hyperlink for the Private Forum from the home page. This screen shot shows the links for the two active forums taken from a non Moderator login without access to any Private Forum 👍



Senior Pilot is offline  
Old 25th Aug 2023, 07:11
  #3 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Ferrara
Posts: 8,912
Received 443 Likes on 269 Posts
FYI that seems to have disappeared from my home page - it was there a couple of weeks ago but can't see it now

Tho it does appear in the "Forum Jump" box

Not that I'm applying to join any!
Asturias56 is offline  
Old 25th Aug 2023, 07:24
  #4 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: LONDON
Posts: 219
Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Senior Pilot
I have responded to your PM and given you access, but to clear up the misinformation that your friend showed you, any PPRuNe member can apply via the hyperlink for the Private Forum from the home page. This screen shot shows the links for the two active forums taken from a non Moderator login without access to any Private Forum 👍

I'm not able to access those links. Not that I need to - I was just curious.


netstruggler is offline  
Old 25th Aug 2023, 11:50
  #5 (permalink)  
Administrator
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Twickenham, home of rugby
Posts: 7,675
Received 308 Likes on 201 Posts
Originally Posted by Asturias56
FYI that seems to have disappeared from my home page - it was there a couple of weeks ago but can't see it now

Tho it does appear in the "Forum Jump" box

Not that I'm applying to join any!
There's an arrow button to the right of the "Airline Specific Private Forums" in the yellow bar - you need to click on it to open the list of forums.
Saab Dastard is offline  
Old 25th Aug 2023, 11:54
  #6 (permalink)  
Administrator
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Twickenham, home of rugby
Posts: 7,675
Received 308 Likes on 201 Posts
Originally Posted by netstruggler
I'm not able to access those links. Not that I need to - I was just curious.

That is correct, you don't have access.

The links that SP referred to are the two links labelled "Click here" - these are used to APPLY for access to the 2 active private forums. If you click on those you will find yourself on a "Send Private Message" page where you can enter the required details to be considered for granting access to the forum.
Saab Dastard is offline  
Old 25th Aug 2023, 13:56
  #7 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: LONDON
Posts: 219
Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Saab Dastard
That is correct, you don't have access.

The links that SP referred to are the two links labelled "Click here" - these are used to APPLY for access to the 2 active private forums. If you click on those you will find yourself on a "Send Private Message" page where you can enter the required details to be considered for granting access to the forum.
I'm saying that, like the OP, I can't get as far as the page with the "Click Here" links on it.



netstruggler is offline  
Old 25th Aug 2023, 14:27
  #8 (permalink)  
Administrator
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Twickenham, home of rugby
Posts: 7,675
Received 308 Likes on 201 Posts
What are you clicking on to get the permission message in your screenshot?

Are you logged into the PPRuNe site?

Have you expanded the list of private forums?
Saab Dastard is offline  
Old 25th Aug 2023, 14:55
  #9 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: LONDON
Posts: 219
Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Saab Dastard
What are you clicking on to get the permission message in your screenshot?

Are you logged into the PPRuNe site?

Have you expanded the list of private forums?
I'm clicking here:


Which, on any other of the groups would open up a list of the forums like the one which was posted earlier, but I get the "No Access" banner.

I'm logged in. The banner I posted includes my username and the option to log out.

The above is when I log in from a computer. When I log in from a mobile device the list of forum groups doesn't include the "Airline Specific Private Forums" link at all.

Note that I don't want to apply to join any of the Private forums, but I do have a professional interest in web sites which don't work in the way their administrators intend.

We normally blame the user and I'm prepared to take the blame here. For example I don't understand why all the forums in that group are private but only two of them have links to apply for access? So the OP and I have possibly missed something obvious.

Last edited by netstruggler; 25th Aug 2023 at 15:19.
netstruggler is offline  
Old 25th Aug 2023, 15:17
  #10 (permalink)  
Administrator
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Twickenham, home of rugby
Posts: 7,675
Received 308 Likes on 201 Posts
Thanks for the update. It is really strange that you are having problems, as I can see all of the (locked) private forums and access to the link to apply with a non-mod standard account (as SP has also mentioned).

There must be something else going on, so hopefully there's enough information for IB / admins to start looking for the cause.

The only other thing might be down to browser add-ins / ad-blockers that might be preventing access - unlikely, but might be worth trying with a different browser / add-ins disabled.
Saab Dastard is offline  
Old 25th Aug 2023, 15:23
  #11 (permalink)  
Administrator
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Twickenham, home of rugby
Posts: 7,675
Received 308 Likes on 201 Posts
I've just checked again, and my non-mod account also gets the permission denied message when trying to access the Private forums from the drop down forum list at the top of the page (in the blue ribbon) as per your screen shot.

HOWEVER, if you simply scroll to the bottom of the PPRuNe home page, past all the other forums, just after PPRuNe Social you should get to the Airline Specific Private Forums, and my non-mod account can see the locked forums and access the links to apply (you may need to click the arrow on the right to open the list). Please can you try that?

Thanks,

SD
Saab Dastard is offline  
Old 25th Aug 2023, 16:05
  #12 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: LONDON
Posts: 219
Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Saab Dastard
I've just checked again, and my non-mod account also gets the permission denied message when trying to access the Private forums from the drop down forum list at the top of the page (in the blue ribbon) as per your screen shot.

HOWEVER, if you simply scroll to the bottom of the PPRuNe home page, past all the other forums, just after PPRuNe Social you should get to the Airline Specific Private Forums, and my non-mod account can see the locked forums and access the links to apply (you may need to click the arrow on the right to open the list). Please can you try that?
Do you mean in the panel below which is down the left side of the screen? The private forum group is missing from that list for me on all of my computer, iPad and phone.

I use Chrome on all of them but I've tried Opera and Firefox and they're the same.

..and I've tried logging out and back in.







netstruggler is offline  
Old 25th Aug 2023, 16:15
  #13 (permalink)  
Administrator
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Twickenham, home of rugby
Posts: 7,675
Received 308 Likes on 201 Posts
No, I'm talking about the actual forums that you see on the home page, not the directory:

Saab Dastard is offline  
Old 25th Aug 2023, 16:46
  #14 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: LONDON
Posts: 219
Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Saab Dastard
No, I'm talking about the actual forums that you see on the home page, not the directory:
Now we're getting somewhere. My Homepage doesn't look like that at all.

When I log in I'm automatically taken to the 'Trending' page.

https://www.pprune.org/trending.php

...and just for the moment I can't find a way of getting to the homepage you posted. It does look familiar - that's how mine used to be but I don't remember when it changed. Maybe I've picked a 'theme' or something?

It's nearly Wine O'Clock now but I'll have a look over the weekend. To be honest the 'Trending' page is the last place I'd choose to start from so I'd be happy to get back to the one above.

Thanks for your help

N



netstruggler is offline  
Old 25th Aug 2023, 16:59
  #15 (permalink)  
Administrator
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Twickenham, home of rugby
Posts: 7,675
Received 308 Likes on 201 Posts
What you need to do is go to your User CP and disable Trending Threads*:

https://www.pprune.org/profile.php?do=editoptions, then scroll all the way to the bottom (Miscellaneous Options) and tick the "Disable Trending Threads on Forum Homepage" tickbox, then Save and exit.

* I agree, it is horrible.
Saab Dastard is offline  
Old 25th Aug 2023, 17:26
  #16 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: LONDON
Posts: 219
Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Saab Dastard
What you need to do is go to your User CP and disable Trending Threads*:

https://www.pprune.org/profile.php?do=editoptions, then scroll all the way to the bottom (Miscellaneous Options) and tick the "Disable Trending Threads on Forum Homepage" tickbox, then Save and exit.

* I agree, it is horrible.


Thanks for persevering.

Have a good one.

N

netstruggler is offline  
Old 29th Aug 2023, 07:51
  #17 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Westnoreastsouth
Posts: 1,838
Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by netstruggler
Now we're getting somewhere. My Homepage doesn't look like that at all.
Hi Netg
To get a homepage looking like SD's homepage - you would need to have selected PpruneNG for forum style - options are at extreme bottom left of the page (small drop down menu) - it is the closest forum 'style' to the old forum layout/colours.

regards LR
longer ron is offline  
Old 29th Aug 2023, 11:49
  #18 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: LONDON
Posts: 219
Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by longer ron
Hi Netg
To get a homepage looking like SD's homepage - you would need to have selected PpruneNG for forum style - options are at extreme bottom left of the page (small drop down menu) - it is the closest forum 'style' to the old forum layout/colours.

regards LR
Thanks LR,

I had already fiddled around with that 'forum Style' control and yes, selecting one of the mobile styles does mess with the homepage.

In my case however it was the "Disable Trending Threads on Forum Homepage" setting which I needed to set. Despite having a very On-Topic name it was well hidden so thanks to SD for pointing it out on this list.
netstruggler is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.