Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Misc. Forums > Passengers & SLF (Self Loading Freight)
Reload this Page >

Transferring At LHR from T1 to T4

Wikiposts
Search
Passengers & SLF (Self Loading Freight) If you are regularly a passenger on any airline then why not post your questions here?

Transferring At LHR from T1 to T4

Search this Thread

Old 29th Jun 2009, 11:57

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Help needed T123 to T4

If you are arriving in the Central Bus Station on a National Express coach, you have two 'free' options:
a) Catch one of the local buses (Route 555) from the Central Bus Station. It goes to T4 and costs nothing for that local journey but takes about 25 mins and is not particularly frequent
b) Go into the main Bus Station building, take the lifts down into the Subway system and follow the signs for 'Trains' or 'Terminal 4'. You can catch the Heathrow Connect train from T123 to T4 for free and it goes every 15 mins (Leaves at 14 - 36 - 44 - 06 mins past the hour)

Given you have large amounts of baggage, the bus option may be unattractive as it is just a little bus with no real storage for cases.
You will at least be able to load your bags on a trolley and take the trolley close to the platform using the Connect train and then reload onto a trolley at T4, up in the lift to Departures and away you go.
So not great, but perfectly doable if time is not too tight and the travel gods are smiling upon you!
Old 2nd Jul 2009, 07:59
Too mean to buy a long personal title

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Skipness One Echo
Couple of questions on this I noticed coming back with Aer Lingus from Dublin last night. Why do they close the arriving passengers off from the rest of the pier on arrival at Heathrow as I think this is new? Don't remember this coming back from Shannon and the only passengers in the area would be either UK domestic passengers or passengers who could simply walk out of UK arrivals.....

Also when one gets to UK Baggage reclaim, there is a security man sitting at the exit desk from the domestic pier, just beyond which is the direct access to Flight Connections. Given that I am still airside until I get out of the doors into the main Terminal, why is it an issue to allow people to access Flight Connections via the domestic pier?
Neither of these is new.

Arriving pax from the ROI have been segregated from UK domestic pax for as long as I have been flying to/from the ROI. As I understand it, this is because UK domestic pax are UK-security screened, so can make a domestic-domestic or domestic-international connection without a further security screen. However, arrivals from the ROI have not been UK-security screened and must therefore be security screened before any further flight. Hence, they cannot mix with UK departing pax whether domestic or international.

That resulted in the design of the ROI arrivals stream directly into the baggage reclaim area. And once you have got as far as baggage reclaim, you are by definition no longer sterile (having had access to checked baggage) so must be security screened again. The same applies to UK arriving pax who get beyond the security guard you mention and get to baggage reclaim - no going back into the airside area.