The Pacific: General Aviation & Questions The place for students, instructors and charter guys in Oz, NZ and the rest of Oceania.

Licence Question

Old 25th Sep 2023, 23:07
  #1 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 127
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Licence Question


I have an Aus CPL which I let expire so my SEA/MEA endorsements expired in Aug 2014. What I would I need to do to get the licence 'reactivated'

bluesideoops is offline  
Old 25th Sep 2023, 23:37
  #2 (permalink)  
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: North Queensland, Australia
Posts: 2,977
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
First up, you need to get your 'old' CAR 5 qualifications updated into the 'brave' new world of Part 61 speak. It's been a while since I looked at it, so apologies for some vagueness, but go to the CASA website and get hold of electronic form 61-9TX.

What you do is go through your old qualifications, and use the form to apply for everything you think you're entitled to. Log book pages with any sign-offs, the old sticky strips, anything that shows you were tested/checked/signed off for any qualification, are all gold, because you'll need to prove some things. They will have some records, but changes in rules and terminology will mean 'the computer says no' on some aspects, so whatever you have to back up your claims will come in handy.

When Part 61 came in, you could get an instructor to sight and certify your 'old' documents, which would then be sent in to CASA to get you your new licence. Not sure if that's still the case. You may need a JP or some such now, perhaps.

Terminology: Licences, ratings and endorsements are now permanent. Instead of a rating expiring, you need to do a Proficiency Check (for an instrument rating, instructor rating etc) with a Flight Examiner (like what an ATO used to be) or a Flight Review (basically a BFR) for general proficiency, low level ops, and a few others. Flight Reviews can be done by suitably qualified instructors.

That's not an exhaustive list, and it'll take you a while to get your head around the terminology. Strangely enough, aeroplanes and helicopters still fly much the same and you'd be spot on if you asked what the point of all this confused newspeak is, but that's another (lengthy) story.

Anyway, worth your while to track down that form, try to struggle through CASR Parts 61 and 91 for a starter, and get out to a flying school if you have access to one for a bit of ground school from an instructor who's current on all the guff. Good luck mate.

Edit: Sorry, I see you're in the UK - if you can track down some face to face with a current instructor in the Aussie system, maybe Zoom or whatever, that'll help cut through the crap, but you'll need to spend a while trawling through the books yourself unfortunately. On the positive side, all the regs are easily downloadable from the CASA website, there's just a shitload of them.
Arm out the window is offline  
The following users liked this post:
Old 26th Sep 2023, 00:27
  #3 (permalink)  
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,219
Received 161 Likes on 67 Posts

Visual Flight Rules Guide Version 7.0 (

Clare Prop is offline  
Old 26th Sep 2023, 05:22
  #4 (permalink)  
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: SS Enterprise
Posts: 68
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The simple answer is it depends.

Is your licence an old CAR 5 or already converted to Part 61? Are there other operational ratings such as flight instructor / instrument rating?

Could be as simple as a flight review however the info you have provided is limited.
Qwark is offline  
Old 26th Sep 2023, 22:35
  #5 (permalink)  
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Someday I will find a place to stop
Posts: 1,007
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Best call CASA and get it from the horses mouth.

Part 61 conversion paperwork
Licence is valid with a valid Medical
then if not current
Flight Review with an intstructor /= now VFR legal on that type

However, depending on what you end up doing, a new type rating counts for the Flight Review as well so might save you some money, and a IR sign off internally with a company (if they are certified to do so after your training of course) counts for use in that company, so you don't always have to present yourself with a valid IR you have done externally to them. And to make things complicated, if you have been flying overseas on another licence, then there is bound to be some recognition for that which might help out and changes everything!
DeltaT is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.