The Pacific: General Aviation & Questions The place for students, instructors and charter guys in Oz, NZ and the rest of Oceania.

491 Visa

Old 13th Mar 2022, 12:46
  #1 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2022
Location: Scotland
Posts: 3
491 Visa

Hello,

Please don’t turn this into a “we’ve got loads of unemployed local pilots debate”

A few months back I saw that pilot was on the list of skilled occupations for the 491 visa - Skilled Work Regional (Provisional) visa so I recently paid one of the visa consultancy companies to asses me and it came back that I potentially would be eligible.

I’m a UK citizen with 2000hrs on turbo props.

My question is am I likely to be approved ? From what I’ve always known pilots have been ineligible for work visas for a very long time. So it came as a surprise when the consultancy company came back with “Potentially Qualified”

I don’t want to pay them and Home Affairs a ton of money for it just to get rejected.

Does anyone know anyone who is going through this process as a pilot and / or whether applicants have been successful?

Thanks in advance
Brexoff is offline  
Old 13th Mar 2022, 23:07
  #2 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Lower North Shore
Posts: 216
Originally Posted by Brexoff View Post
Hello,

Please don’t turn this into a “we’ve got loads of unemployed local pilots debate”

A few months back I saw that pilot was on the list of skilled occupations for the 491 visa - Skilled Work Regional (Provisional) visa so I recently paid one of the visa consultancy companies to asses me and it came back that I potentially would be eligible.

I’m a UK citizen with 2000hrs on turbo props.

My question is am I likely to be approved ? From what I’ve always known pilots have been ineligible for work visas for a very long time. So it came as a surprise when the consultancy company came back with “Potentially Qualified”

I don’t want to pay them and Home Affairs a ton of money for it just to get rejected.

Does anyone know anyone who is going through this process as a pilot and / or whether applicants have been successful?

Thanks in advance
I believe airlines such as Air North have used this Visa successfully. They have recently struggled to get E120 pilots and there may be some opportunities.
Brakerider is online now  
Old 14th Mar 2022, 01:00
  #3 (permalink)  
CFD
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: uk
Posts: 58
Its possible... but be prepared for a long wait and expensive process. You haven't said what licence you hold whether cpl or atpl (UK licence or EASA licence?) as process is slightly different for licence conversion.
Check out Converting an overseas flight crew licence | Civil Aviation Safety Authority (casa.gov.au) if you haven't already. You will need to fly to Australia to do the relevant exams and IR if required, all of which takes some time. You will also need to get the study material to prepare, particularly for the IREX if required. And all of this is required before you actually apply for that visa.
If you are seriously interested then first step is to put in an EOI... make sure you have at least 65 points, you do not need a migration agent to do this and at that stage it wont cost you anything... and then wait to be invited to apply (which may or may not ever happen) - If you haven't checked the process is here Subclass 491 Skilled Work Regional (Provisional) visa - Main applicant (homeaffairs.gov.au)

Last edited by CFD; 14th Mar 2022 at 01:14.
CFD is offline  
Old 14th Mar 2022, 03:07
  #4 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 249
Originally Posted by Brakerider View Post
I believe airlines such as Air North have used this Visa successfully. They have recently struggled to get E120 pilots and there may be some opportunities.
Is the “shortage” solely qualified/endorsed E120 pilots?
If so, that appears to be a pretty niche reason to turn down otherwise perfectly suitable and sufficiently skilled pilots here in Australia currently looking for work.
TimmyTee is offline  
Old 14th Mar 2022, 03:09
  #5 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Lower North Shore
Posts: 216
Originally Posted by TimmyTee View Post
Is the “shortage” solely qualified/endorsed E120 pilots?
If so, that appears to be a pretty niche reason to turn down otherwise perfectly suitable and sufficiently skilled pilots here in Australia currently looking for work.
I have no idea, but their new Chief Pilot is on a visa.
Brakerider is online now  
Old 14th Mar 2022, 05:14
  #6 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: rookie land
Age: 29
Posts: 153
The only reason AN can't get suitable pilots is due to pay/conditions.
the_rookie is offline  
Old 14th Mar 2022, 10:28
  #7 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Aust
Posts: 314
We have got loads of unemployed local pilots, but thanks for your consideration.
deja vu is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.