Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > PPRuNe Worldwide > The Pacific: General Aviation & Questions
Reload this Page >

UK to Australia training/ conversion

The Pacific: General Aviation & Questions The place for students, instructors and charter guys in Oz, NZ and the rest of Oceania.

UK to Australia training/ conversion

Old 31st Mar 2014, 01:42
  #1 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Brighton, United Kingdom
Age: 25
Posts: 1
UK to Australia training/ conversion

Hello all,

Firstly I'm sorry if I've posted this in the wrong section, I'm new to this site.

Okay, so all my life I've wanted to be an airline pilot. I have this burning desire to fly and I can't imagine doing anything else as a career, but here comes... I have a moderate green (deutanope) colour deficiency, and at age 11, my dreams of flying died in the optician's examining room.

Fast forward 9 years and here I am, at university studying for a degree that I'm not really interested in, but after reading an article about colour vision, I decided to try and give it another go, and I'm about 3/4 of the way through the EASA PPL syllabus. I have a CAA class 2 medical with the daytime only restriction on it, which is fine for now.

After endless hours of searching online, I found out that CASA allow colour vision defective pilots to fly commercially, a feat now outlawed by EASA (which is a steaming pile of politically motivated excrement, but whatever). So essentially, my dream of being an airline pilot has been reignited. My plan is to finish my PPL, graduate from university, then apply for a student visa to train for an Australian CPL with a multi engine and command instrument rating and get a working visa and look for work, with a view to going into airline employment.

Australia, unlike EASA allow more practical aviation lights tests such as the tower gun light test, which I am thinking I would be able to pass, and this would permit me to fly internationally too. If I don't pass, I can still be a first officer on domestic Australian flights only, which to be honest is still awesome.

My main queries do not surround converting my EASA PPL(A) into a CASA PPL(A), because I've heard that that is a relatively straight forward procedure, however I am wondering if it is possible to gain a CASA class 1 medical in the UK, I know I will pass it (with the restrictions on it until I can have a go at further testing which is done specifically in Australia), but I would like to make sure that everything else concerning class 1 is okay for me, so that when I do come to Australia to train, there will be no nasty surprises after heavy investment in moving and gaining visas. Do you think this will be a waste of time to do this, or is it a good move?

I am generally worried about the whole thing (visa applications, not being able to find a job et cetera), not to mention the colour vision thing, but I am determined to do this!

Finally, can anyone recommend any good professional flight training schools which offer commercial pilot's licenses, multi engine instrument ratings and multi crew cooperation classes... oh also one which can sponsor international students and one I won't have to sell my kidney to be able to pay for.

Thank you for reading this, any help would be greatly appreciated

Liam Clarke
liamsclarke is offline  
Old 31st Mar 2014, 09:22
  #2 (permalink)  

Victim of a bored god

Join Date: Jan 1996
Location: Utopia
Posts: 6,466
A Visa to live and work permanently in Australia may be even more difficult than a Class 1 Medical....... That university degree you are not interested in may be your ticket into Australia?

You need to talk to a Migration Agent before you talk to a CASA DAME.
tail wheel is offline  
Old 31st Mar 2014, 09:43
  #3 (permalink)  

PPRuNe Handmaiden
Join Date: Feb 1997
Location: Duit On Mon Dei
Posts: 4,278
Tail Wheel is correct. The visa will be your toughest hurdle re Australia.

Australian Government Department of Immigration and Border Protection Is the site for all the visa info. It's the official site. The rest are usually "pay to play".

For Doctors in the UK, see here. The CASA site is not bad. Get the medical sorted, then see if you can get the visa.
redsnail is offline  
Old 1st Apr 2014, 12:58
  #4 (permalink)  
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: New South Wales
Posts: 1,793
The visa will be the problem. You have two options: try to qualify on points with some profession (not piloting) you pick up in the next few years or come on a student or youth work visa and fall in love and marry an Aussie.

But, yes, talk to a migration agent very early on.
QDMQDMQDM is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.