The Pacific: General Aviation & Questions The place for students, instructors and charter guys in Oz, NZ and the rest of Oceania.

need FAA BFR in AU/NZ

Old 25th Feb 2014, 21:28
  #1 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Hamilton
Age: 60
Posts: 2
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need FAA BFR in AU/NZ

i'm a US based FAA issued pilot living in NZ. I need a BFR for my FAA license to make it current so I can translate into CAA license. i've investigated finding an FAA examiner here and there's definitely no joy there. it'd still be cheaper to fly to AU to see an FAA designated examiner than it would be to fly to the states. does anyone know of an FAA rated person either here in NZ or in AU?
winksmith is offline  
Old 25th Feb 2014, 22:11
  #2 (permalink)  
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Sydney
Posts: 319
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi there,

You don't need an examiner just an instructor to do a BFR.

refer 14 CFR 61.56
no_one is offline  
Old 25th Feb 2014, 22:30
  #3 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Hamilton
Age: 60
Posts: 2
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
right, of course, slip of the tongue. do you know of an FAA CFI who can do a BFR who lives in either NZ or AU?
winksmith is offline  
Old 28th Feb 2014, 23:17
  #4 (permalink)  
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: In an Airplane
Posts: 125
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I renewed my CFI, CFII and MEI this year.

That said I have no idea about going about doing a renewal in a AU/NZ registered aircraft.

Hell I haven't ever flown a single engine airplane in AU or NZ.

I can't remember the last time I filed a VFR flight plan.
privateer01 is offline  
Old 1st Mar 2014, 05:01
  #5 (permalink)  
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 23
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
winksmith, I sent you a PM. As for furthering the discussion of a potential problem I see, you will need to find an FAA certified pilot, and potentially a N registered aircraft. I am not sure given the way the rules are worded that you could take a FAA CFI, who has NZ CAA licensing, and fly a ZK tail aircraft. That would be a question for a FSDO in the USA, or the CAA in NZ:
"Can an FAA flight instructor administer a FAA BFR in a foreign registered aircraft, if the flight instructor also holds licensing in that country?" If the answer is yes, there will likely be some sort of exemption, if the answer is no, you will have to find someone with a N12345 in NZ or Oz, or take a trip to Hawaii, Guam etc where you can find an N registered aeroplane.
V1rhot8 is offline  
Old 2nd Feb 2015, 20:34
  #6 (permalink)  
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Gundiah
Posts: 1
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need a BFR for my US Commercial Pilot Certificate. My reading of the FARs is that the rego in the aircraft is not important, and since I have a current Australian CPL (and medical), I can legally act as PIC on a VH registered aircraft. If I come to where you are and hire a suitable aircraft, would you be willing to do a BFR for me? Thanks. [email protected]
Seaplanepilot is offline  
Old 3rd Feb 2015, 21:50
  #7 (permalink)  
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 226
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Its troubling to see all the posters who respond to your post without having a clue about your question.

I suggest you post that looking for an FAA CFI in Aus or NZ who can do an FAA Flight Review / IPC if you have an instrument rating.

I've got an FAA CFI that needs requires a ride to be revalidated, and in preparation for that, and a return to Aus, I've been studying the legislation in both countries.

From my read, there is NOTHING stopping an instructor from doing this by mobile web cam.

To make that a little braver, my take is that you could compose a check list for a local instructor to give on a BVF and forward a copy of the BVR Flight to the FAA CFI and have him "sign your log book".

If you complete an IPC overseas, you still lack what is called "the oral test" for the Australian IPC requirements, that in theory, could be done by skype or even telephone conference.

All that you need to do is contact someone with a FAA CFI who is willing to do that for you.

Ramjet555 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.