PPRuNe Forums

The Pacific: General Aviation & Questions The place for students, instructors and charter guys in Oz, NZ and the rest of Oceania.

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 21st Mar 2011, 13:47   #1 (permalink)
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 4
Flying Aussie Experimental in New Zealand

I'm currently a citizen of Australia but I'm considering moving to New Zealand for a few years and I'd like to take my Australian registered VH sport aircraft (Experimental Category Vans RV7A) with me. I'd prefer to leave the aircraft on the Australian register.

Is anyone aware of whether I'd have any trouble with NZCAA regs in flying my Australian registered aircraft for a few years in New Zealand. Obviously private pilots fly across the Tasman all the time but I'm wondering if keeping the plane over there for several years is problematic.
captainavgas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Mar 2011, 14:33   #2 (permalink)
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Australia
Posts: 3,677

You will need the specific approval of NZCAA to fly the aircraft in NZ, as an Australian sub-ICAO Annex VIII C.of A.(any Limited, Restricted or Experimental) is not valid outside Australia territorial limits.

Do all you homework carefully, especially the NZ tax laws. Some of the valuation for tax are mind blowing.

NZCAA are easy people to work with, quite pleasantly different to CASA, and the fees are very moderate.

Tootle pip!!
LeadSled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Mar 2011, 01:19   #3 (permalink)
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 4
Hi Leadsled, thanks for the feedback. If the Experimental C of A is "sub ICAO" and only valid for Australian territorial areas then how is it possible that Australian registered VH Experimental aircraft are able to fly around the world and through dozens of countries (eg Jon Johanson). Certainly a number of Aussie Experimental aircraft fly across the Tasman to NZ every year without undue problems as far as I can tell. But I'm just wondering if there is a time limit on the duration of stay of a foreign registered aircraft in NZ.

Incidentally I rented a C172 out of Christchurch in 1999 and flew around the south island for a couple of weeks. I can't imagine that flying anywhere else in the world could be more geographically spectacular. Just stunning!!
captainavgas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Mar 2011, 02:05   #4 (permalink)
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Mel-burn
Posts: 4,944
To fly an experimental aircraft outside Australia you need the permission of the country that you are visiting. As for whether JJ got that is anyone's guess! Have a mate with an RV who's keeping it under ABAA so as to avoid this problem.
VH-XXX is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT. The time now is 09:55.

1996-2012 The Professional Pilots Rumour Network

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1