Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > PPRuNe Worldwide > North America
Reload this Page >

Osm Aviation recruiting foreign pilots for USís Airlines

North America Still the busiest region for commercial aviation.

Osm Aviation recruiting foreign pilots for USís Airlines

Reply

Old 17th Oct 2018, 09:33
  #1 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Downunder
Posts: 145
Osm Aviation recruiting foreign pilots for USís Airlines

Dear all,

i just saw an advert for foreign pilots recruitment in US:

https://www.aviationjobsearch.com/jo...t-usa/10290331



Pilot Requirements
Have minimum 1500 documented flight hours
Have English proficiency ICAO 4 or greater
ATP License

Benefits

Green Card
Relocation allowance

Partial matching 401k

Health & dental insurance

Paid volunteer time

Paid leave

Paid Holidays

Start and end in your base every night

To address a pilot shortage in the U.S., OMS recently launched a program to recruit experienced foreign fixed wing pilots to work in the U.S., and in the process, be eligible to receive a green card for themselves and their family members


Time me to engage with Alpa?
REMAX11 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 17th Oct 2018, 10:31
  #2 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 1,832
Can't say I understand how OSM is doing this...or what "...be eligible to receive a green card ..." means. Seems like a tall promise.

What type of visa are they entering the country with until the alleged green card appears ?

What US company is taking these folks ?
bafanguy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 17th Oct 2018, 12:31
  #3 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Vietnam
Posts: 1,087
I beleibe Cape Air are involved and you have to pay all legal costs and an "admin" fee of 30k USD
.
pilotchute is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 17th Oct 2018, 13:06
  #4 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 1,832
Originally Posted by pilotchute View Post
I beleibe Cape Air are involved...
Cape doesn't mention it on their website but that's not a surprise, I guess. I assume applicants have to have FAA tickets.

How do they get people in here with the legal ability to live/work ? That must involve some level of visa.

How does that translate to a green card ?
bafanguy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 17th Oct 2018, 14:33
  #5 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Vietnam
Posts: 1,087
From what I can gather the barrier to green card sponsorship is the immense cost. So OSM literally charge you all the legal costs (taking a cut themselves) and get you employment.

I have actually emailed OSM about the scheme and that was what I got from them. Even though you pay all the costs they seem to think you owe them for the chance. They bond you to an airline for 4 years and if you leave before that kiss your money and green card goodbye.
pilotchute is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 17th Oct 2018, 17:01
  #6 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,719
The US Citizenship and Immigration Services web page says you can apply for a Green Card as the holder of an EB-3 visa. But there is still the requirement to show that qualified workers are not available.
MarkerInbound is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 17th Oct 2018, 21:23
  #7 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: South of the North pole
Posts: 78
OSM are absolute scum and running the Norwegian contract out of FLL.

Stay away from them, they are not to be trusted. Heard some horror stories from pilots who worked for them.
Daddy Fantastic is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 17th Oct 2018, 22:55
  #8 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 1,832
Originally Posted by MarkerInbound View Post
The US Citizenship and Immigration Services web page says you can apply for a Green Card as the holder of an EB-3 visa. But there is still the requirement to show that qualified workers are not available.
So Cape Air and this OSM outfit are bringing in people on an EB-3 visa and promising a green card ? I don't know how Cape Air can claim there are no US citizens available to take those jobs.

This statement is made for both "skilled workers" and "professionals":

"You must be performing work for which qualified workers are not available in the United States"

https://www.uscis.gov/working-united...reference-eb-3

I must be missing something.
bafanguy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 18th Oct 2018, 00:16
  #9 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Vietnam
Posts: 1,087
The fact that some airlines already went under due to "pilot shortage" is probably all they need to say
pilotchute is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 18th Oct 2018, 03:25
  #10 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 226
Its a pity that the E-B3 visa has been mentioned.

An E-B3 should not be confused with an E-3
Even forking out $1200 for priority processing it could be
a long time before it's issued and the requirements
are loaded with pitfalls that generally only can be prevented
by an immigration lawyer and even then, there
are no guarantees.

I've never heard of an Australian going the E-B3 route.

It sounds simple on the surface but is riddled with pitfalls
that require a lawyer that makes it a very expensive process.
Ramjet555 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 18th Oct 2018, 06:00
  #11 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 226
Just had a close look at their website and the warning bells go off.
You do not know where your resume and or documents will end up.
Ramjet555 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 18th Oct 2018, 10:08
  #12 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: 60 north
Age: 54
Posts: 576
Daddy Fantastic

You summed it up nicely.

Regards
Cpt B
BluSdUp is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 18th Oct 2018, 15:30
  #13 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,719
Originally Posted by pilotchute View Post
The fact that some airlines already went under due to "pilot shortage" is probably all they need to say
"So Mr. Great Lakes, there are 154,000 ATP pilots and you can't find any?"

"Yes but we don't want to pay what 99.99 percent of them are being paid."
MarkerInbound is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 18th Oct 2018, 15:55
  #14 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: this side of the moon
Posts: 16
Hi Guys,
Firstly it not the Norwegian outfit OSM,truly distasteful but a regulated government approved recruitment company OMS.
They are authorised to supply foreign workers to government schemes,for the benefit of us citizens.
The eas is one such scheme,and as such schemes are poorly paid, because of the associated benefits for the people the schemes are set up to help, the package on offer is below standard for the alpa and us pilots,a green card is on offer at sponsorship to fill this gap.
Therefore the primary objective of the scheme is fulfilled, the workers are eligible to fulfill the details of the scheme, and restrictions are in place to prevent misuse of the requirements.
there she blows is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 18th Oct 2018, 16:49
  #15 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 1,832
Originally Posted by there she blows View Post

Firstly it not the Norwegian outfit OSM,truly distasteful but a regulated government approved recruitment company OMS.
They are authorised to supply foreign workers to government schemes,for the benefit of us citizens.
The eas is one such scheme,and as such schemes are poorly paid, because of the associated benefits for the people the schemes are set up to help, the package on offer is below standard for the alpa and us pilots,a green card is on offer at sponsorship to fill this gap.
Therefore the primary objective of the scheme is fulfilled, the workers are eligible to fulfill the details of the scheme, and restrictions are in place to prevent misuse of the requirements.


there she blows,

Not sure I understand.

What US government agency approves/regulates this company, OMS ?

Do they supply foreign nationals to US companies in other industries ?

Are they providing foreign pilots to the US's Essential Air Service companies ? If so, which ones ? https://www.raa.org/page/EAS

bafanguy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 18th Oct 2018, 21:34
  #16 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: this side of the moon
Posts: 16
Hello bafanguy,
i think the answer to your questions lie not only in your link, but more importantly a simple investigation into ample information available from many sources online,
You are correct with your research on essential air service passed through Congress,
I am sure you have both the ability and motivation to pursue those questions, but if you are unable to ďunderstand ď the gathering of correct information and utilising it in a clear and diagnostic format,
maybe it is time to chase those injuns out the back yard bud buddy?
there she blows is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 18th Oct 2018, 22:35
  #17 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 1,832
Originally Posted by there she blows View Post
Hello bafanguy,
i think the answer to your questions lie not only in your link, but more importantly a simple investigation into ample information available from many sources online,
You are correct with your research on essential air service passed through Congress,
I am sure you have both the ability and motivation to pursue those questions, but if you are unable to ďunderstand ď the gathering of correct information and utilising it in a clear and diagnostic format,
maybe it is time to chase those injuns out the back yard bud buddy?
Ummm, OK, thank you for your input.
bafanguy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 19th Oct 2018, 01:12
  #18 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Nowhere as nice as you are
Posts: 9
Can't post links due to my low post count but on cape air's website -> fly with us -> requirements -> scroll all the way down


"OMS Captain Hiring Requirements

FAA ATP License

FAA First Class Medical

Valid Passport"

Looks like this OMS scheme has popped up on this forum a few times before. Seems difficult to find anyone who could account for their experience of actually going through with them though.
JA8957 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 19th Oct 2018, 08:56
  #19 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 1,832
JA8957,


Thanks...got it.

I haven't seen anyone say how many pilots Cape Air has employed this way.

Last edited by bafanguy; 19th Oct 2018 at 15:47.
bafanguy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Oct 2018, 09:12
  #20 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: this side of the moon
Posts: 16
Bafanguy
umm thank you for your input!����

Last edited by there she blows; 22nd Oct 2018 at 09:13. Reason: Wrong spelling
there she blows is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service